PDA

View Full Version : Assault Squad - Beta testing

Ohmow
06-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I am considering to buy beta test time for Assault squad, altho I think it's a pretty ridiculious offer, for 15 euro! However, I would like some opinions of what you guys think of the beta, and if there is some sort of tutorial.
I tried playing the Men of War demo, but there was no tutorial, I think, and I didn't feel like finding all things out by myself.

Nikitns
06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
the first mission is the tutorial...

Dude, buy the first men of war. Multiplayer AS doesn't need more newbs.

Ohmow
06-08-2010, 07:45 PM
^^, I like to be up to date with the games I play, so you'll likely encounter me, sorry.
The first mission might be a tutorial, but how am I supposed to know the controls? I would appreciate a helping hand, not because I can't figure everything out by myself eventually, but because I don't wanna miss out on things or take along time learning them.

Korsakov829
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
It would have been a good idea to be a tester a month or so ago, but you should wait till the full game is out.

If you need to know what the controls are and how they work study the manual.

Ohmow
06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Could you give me a link for the manual?
Also, it's due for september or october?

Nikitns
06-08-2010, 10:16 PM
^^, I like to be up to date with the games I play, so you'll likely encounter me, sorry.
The first mission might be a tutorial, but how am I supposed to know the controls? I would appreciate a helping hand, not because I can't figure everything out by myself eventually, but because I don't wanna miss out on things or take along time learning them.

1. I don't care what u like dude, please, please, please don't buy AS. This is because it is MULTIPLAYER Game. men of war is MUCh better for newbs. also MoW will probably be better overall. it is great fun.
2. The controls aren't really hard. if u want 2 reconfigure them just go into the control menu.
3. You can only buy BETA Assault Squad. Once that beta time runs out - u got 2 buy AS again.

Ohmow
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I know that, thanks. But really, what are the chances I play against you anyway? Why would I get used to an old system for 30 euro or so in order to buy a new system for 50 euro later, I might as well get used to the new system for 15 euro now.

Zeke Wolff
06-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Nikitins,

If you don´t like to see "newbs" in the MoW:AS beta testing, don´t play with them - simple as that. You can´t tell people what to buy and not to buy just because you feel superior and don´t want to see them in AS. This is very childish behaviour and you know it.

MoW:AS is supposed to be a game for everyone, not just a small circle of "elite" players...

Ohmow,

Both MoW and the upcoming title MoW:AS uses basically the same controls that the older title Faces of War used. That game had a quite good tutorial on how to use the controls etc, even if its combat system was very arcadish compared to MoW/MoW:AS. There are a few controls that has been removed in MoW/MoW:AS and also a few new options has been added, like the fact that you can reconfigurate the game controls to use standard RTS controls instead of the default controls.

Which game you should buy really depends on what you prefer: MoW has both SP Campaigns and MP (although the SP Campaigns aren´t that interesting to play in my opinion since they basically are the type "Hold ground at all cost") but the MP part can be quite interesting when played with the right players.
MoW:AS is directed more towards MP but the full game will come with 15 Skirmish SP maps, which can either be played alone or with up to 4-player coop.

//Zeke Wolff, Moderator.

Ohmow
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks, that's very helpfull. I'll think I go ahead any buy the beta then. Sounds weird tho, buy beta, well anyways, thanks for the responses.

Evilsausage
06-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Ohmow you can get regular MoW for like 12$, thats like 8 euro or something.
Not 30, either way its totaly worth it.

But if you really wanna play AS, your probably gonna have to learn it just by playing alot. See what allies and enemies do etc..
Normaly the best training anyway.

MoW takes time to learn. With or without any tutorial. I have seen people with like 400 games and they still play like beginners.

CzaD
06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Ohmow, I understand you want to learn how to play MoW and you just have a demo at the moment.

You need to know that MoW AS is mainly for MP and MoW MP has a huge learning curve and the interface is just the beginning.

I’ve played something like 100 online battles and I am still a noob. I guess MoW AS attracted many hardcore MoW players who are way out of my league. That’s why I won’t go for it.

My advice to you is: buy MoW. You can get it cheap and it is a very good game and a much better tool for learning how to play MoW coz it has a larger and more diverse MP community than AS. I see that there is a steady influx of new players so you will easily find somebody who would like to experiment with you. :)

And I believe you will find help very easily on this forum on all sort of problems, not just the interface but you need to get into the game first and start asking specific questions: like how to use binocular or on which map and when is it best to use Comet?

razputin
06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Sounds weird tho, buy beta
Think of it as an investment in the games that you love. :grin:

DMS|Instinct
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
For learning the game, especially MoW:AS you can play the skirmish in single or with up to 4 friends. And if you feel easy is too hard for you as a new player, than your feedback is very welcome. At a later stage we may add the tutorial for testing.

Anyway, you get skirmish maps in the exclusive testing as well as the major mp content to try out. It's an extended demo, with a free mappack you get once the game is released.

CzaD
06-09-2010, 01:06 PM
So now it gets a little bit more complicated.

You said you played demo. So all you know is how to play a SP mission. If you want to play more missions, MoW and MoW Red Tide is the way to go.

In AS there are no missions but there is a skirmish mode, which, I reckon, could be even more fun then missions and would prepare you better for MP .

However, if you are one of those players who are less interested in playing against AI and more into playing against other players, then you can choose between AS and MoW.

If I were you, I would try to find out how big and active the AS MP community is. And how varied it is in terms of players’ experience.

Nikitns
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
For learning the game, especially MoW:AS you can play the skirmish in single or with up to 4 friends. And if you feel easy is too hard for you as a new player, than your feedback is very welcome. At a later stage we may add the tutorial for testing.

Anyway, you get skirmish maps in the exclusive testing as well as the major mp content to try out. It's an extended demo, with a free mappack you get once the game is released.

Except AS is ONLY multiplayer.

Buy MoW, it is a complete game with an amazing campaign and a solid multiplayer.

Only serious problem with MoW is, that the stats for weapons and tanks etc are different from multiplayer to single player... pretty retarded imo.

DMS|Instinct
06-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Except AS is ONLY multiplayer.
Why would it be multiplayer only?

Mack the Knife
06-20-2010, 07:20 PM
exactly! i don't play multiplayer and i read (i thought i read) that skirmish mode can be played either single or multi. when i saw Nititns post earlier i wanted to correct him (tell him he was full of it http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/images/icons/icon10.gif) but coming from you means a lot more....

Parkaboy
06-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Pay to be a beta tester? There sure as hell is something wrong with that. I've played loads of betas, but its the first I've ever heard of having to pay to do it.

I hope they open it up to MoW players :D

Korsakov829
06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Lets just say 1C is low on money to keep people working on Men of War projects. I'm not saying thats how it is, but its just a likely possibility.

Parkaboy
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Well they can blame their marketing department for that. It does seem strange that MoW has unofficial patches. So something within the company isn't 100%.

The games that I've played from 1C gameplay wise have been top notch. I tell people as much as I can MoW is the best game I've played that I never heard of as I happened upon it while watching game replays on utube.

Take MoW single player great gameplay, sounds, and graphics, but the acting, storyline suck so hard it would be laughable if it wasn't so dull.

Hey if me sending them £15 would keep MoW alive I'd send it to them, but if they are in that much need I cant see that little doing that much.

DMS|Instinct
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
You don't pay for betas, you pay for gamepreviews and exclusive content. A beta or demo will be still free of charge available once we think the game is ready to be shown to a wide public audience.

With this system you can support the developers making a better game and instead of waiting for the game to be released you can grab it right away and try it out, as well as see it evolving during the development and maybe have some influence with your feedback.

Additionally a game preview features more content than a public beta or demo.

DMS|Instinct
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
It's on summer sale this weekend for just 4,95€:
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=109&p=84913#p84913

Korsakov829
06-25-2010, 03:26 PM
66% off because the beta is near end probbly. I would just wait for the full game, and if you don't have Men of War or Men of War: Red Tide, take that 75% off deal from steam.

Parkaboy
06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Cheers I'm in for four quid.

Parkaboy
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Great stuff the skirmish mode is surprisingly fun. It seems that you control what other players buy. In my last match I had a Sd Kfz 251 full of panzer g's and I was like being a child again playing with my detailed action force figures, beautiful..

Nikitns
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
really? Is the single player campaign as good as the MoW one?

Nikitns
07-05-2010, 05:00 PM

well it's built around multiplayer or so I've heard (but yeah I exaggerated a bit :P). I don't think people will get a good single player experience from a skirmish mode and a small campaign... All I thought was that MoW is a good game and should be bought before a beta versioned expansion.

But I am wondering a bit, did you guys try to seriously change MoW? Or is it the same game just with more units, more bling bling and rebalanced? I hope you didn't go amok with the changes but that's just me....

I kind of liked Red Tide but it was buggy at release and the soldiers there had WAY to little ammo...

Nikitns
07-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Well they can blame their marketing department for that. It does seem strange that MoW has unofficial patches. So something within the company isn't 100%.

The games that I've played from 1C gameplay wise have been top notch. I tell people as much as I can MoW is the best game I've played that I never heard of as I happened upon it while watching game replays on utube.

Take MoW single player great gameplay, sounds, and graphics, but the acting, storyline suck so hard it would be laughable if it wasn't so dull.

Hey if me sending them £15 would keep MoW alive I'd send it to them, but if they are in that much need I cant see that little doing that much.

Yeah they are way too slow with patches.. But most of the games 1C publish have a loyal fanbase, who check forums regularly etc.

Divebomb
07-05-2010, 06:21 PM
it's got a ton of useful changes yeah, both units and interface. but is still distinctly men of war of course, nothing to worry about there. and yeah it is awesome to play in singleplayer skirmish aswell

Nikitns
07-09-2010, 03:03 AM
AI is good?