PDA

View Full Version : Globally Modify Ship Speed

Sentencer
06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Just picked up SW3 the other day, and I must say it is awesome!

Although, I do think that spending 15 minutes to travel across the entire system can get old quickly (although I'm only 10 hours or so into the game, just completed the mission where you re-ID the pirate ship, so I assume ships get considerably faster...?).

I tried to search for the answer here on the boards but couldn't find my exact question...

I know you can modify the speed of individual mother ships, but is there a way to globally modify the speed of all ships?

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I know you can modify the speed of individual mother ships, but is there a way to globally modify the speed of all ships?
AFAIK, no. x8 time compression is not enough for you? Even slowest ship can travel across the biggest system in @30 sec.

sidius
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
you mean the CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK way of moving? coz it's back to 4X in 1-2 sec..

considering that ship speed is so low (for example speed 9 equals roughly to 900, but I think MASS matters here too, since it is not that 10=1000 or 11=1100, it just roughly), maybe there is a chart in some file with these calculations.

I've added those 2 starting clunkers speed 13-14, so I don't spend 2 hours just to get Mastiff..
gotta find those imba slow Beta transports to see if it helps to speed the up in those convoy missions.. coz it takes 20 minutes for them to fly through 2 systems (half NJ2, full NJ3 and half Prien)

btw have you ever tried ramming tactics to get some goods? your mothership has considerable MASS, count in some +50% speed modules, head to the portal and pray for some ships jumping in. with a bit of luck you destroy it as you crash into it, not even making an enemy of rest of the ships.

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
you mean the CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK way of moving? coz it's back to 4X in 1-2 sec..
No. I can keep x8 compression in 2/3 sectors without CLICKCLICKCLICK. It's all about fps. If it drops below 60, x8 ichanges to x4. I simply change to the map of the sector (no 3D objects) and set x8 compression. Works most of the time.

Sentencer
06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
AFAIK, no. x8 time compression is not enough for you? Even slowest ship can travel across the biggest system in @30 sec.

:confused: what is x8 time compression?

Terry_Lentz
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
:confused: what is x8 time compression?

In the bottom right corner are some buttons. First one (the leftmost one) looks like the play button on your old CD player or stereo its called real-time, the one right next to it is the 2x speed, the one which is right to 2x speed is 4x speed, and the last one being 8x speed. Click it when traveling and voila!

Sentencer
06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
wow... didn't even notice those buttons down there before. Thanks for all the quick replies everybody! :grin:

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 03:42 AM
btw have you ever tried ramming tactics to get some goods? your mothership has considerable MASS, count in some +50% speed modules, head to the portal and pray for some ships jumping in. with a bit of luck you destroy it as you crash into it, not even making an enemy of rest of the ships.
There appears to be a built-in avoidance factor which makes them twist to avoid collisions. They do happen occasionally but not often enough. In fact they're rather annoyingly rare; sometimes I'm in a hurry to get to the portal but a bunch of traders will take their own sweet time slowly moving while the mothership spins around them.

I've tested 3,000+ speed motherships and the bastard still manages to avoid ramming into most things :-P

Goblin Wizard
06-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Try to test mothership with very low maneuverability e.g. Alien Dreadnought. This one doesn't avoid anything. With his mass he doesn't have to ;)

StarShatter
06-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Sometimes my mother ships rams loot when I move it as the tractor beam is doing its thing... Rams AND destroys loot...

@Sentencer
You can use the [ ] keys to slow and speed up the game (respectively).
I usually spam ] to keep it on x8 than clicking the icon.

sidius
06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
this has easy (but kinda slow) solution, all modules have hit points around 20-10 000, so they are too easy to destroy (I mean those set to 20).
10 000 may be that "Invulnerable" number (or 0, I haven't tried it)

unfortunately you can't increase HP of fighters from cargo containers, because you would screw up gameplay (just try to fight pirates or any other faction using fighters with 10 000 hp..).

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
But ramming damage isn't a big problem, all you have to do is wait until you tractor beam the loot before moving.

I think you may want to look at module destruction when you blow something up. The default is something like 60% (?) of items; change it to 0 and everything should be intact to be looted when you destroy the target. Someone posted how to somewhere here, I forgot where...

Goblin Wizard
06-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=149439&postcount=47)