PDA

View Full Version : Patch problem: No version of MOW installed?!

MiKye200
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, I botched something up trying to patch MOW after purchasing and downloading 1.11.3 off Steam(why is Steam dowloading an old version, anyway?).
After following a link to the 1.16.4 patch I downloaded it, backed up my MOW folder and ran the patch, copying the resulting files directly into the Steam MOW folder.
After firing up the game the welcome screen of MOW still showed 1.11.3 but when I went into multiplayer a Japanese army was possible, so apparently it patched OK(still odd though that the 1.16.4 patch did not show on opening screen).
Anyway, when I exited the multiplayer screen I received a message that the program had stopped working.

Uh Oh, I thought.

So I copied the backup Men of War folder back to the original.
Then, after further reading on the forums I notice that the 1.17.5 patch is out, so I download that and try to run it, only to get the message that the patch cannot run because it does not detect that MOW is installed,

"The setup has detected that no version of Men of War is installed"
"Setup cannot continue",
or words to that effect.

Well, that's odd, because it still runs when I click on the desktop icon.
Damn.
So, by copying the backup MOW folder over the patched MOW folder did I do something to the program registry; is that why the 1.17.5 patch cannot detect a MOW program installed?
Just what is the patch checking that it cannot detect the program?

So, if I do need to reinstall MOW, where is the install program that originally downloaded from Steam?
Please don't tell me that I need to download it all over again; my ISP download limit is approaching maximum for this month.

[SOE]No.Mam
05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
goto DMS forum (http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/index.php) -> 1.17.5 patch thread -> y will find a "programm" which can extract all files from 1.17.5 patch installer.

sry cant give exact linke because DMS forum isnt online at moment. :( try again later.

MiKye200
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, [SOE]No.Mam

I ran the extract utility unextract161 on the 1.17.5 patch install file.
This produced the following files:

Two folders: "{app}" and "embedded" as well as install_script.iss

The {"app}" folder contains another folder "Resource" as well as files "1.pat" thru "5.pat", changelog.txt, localization1.pak thru localization 5.pak, a new MOW exe of 17.1 MB, MOW-editor and MOw_MP, also 17.1 MB.

The "embedded" folder contains various .isl files and some bitmap image files, for buttons, icons, etc.

Now, that is nothing like the layout of the prvious patch files I've seen, although many of the files look familiar.
Exactly where do these files go; into the Men of War Steam folder?

I'm hesitant about putting these files into the MOW folder until someone can verify the files were extracted correctly.

Edit: Ah, does the {app} folder contain the patch?
That would make sense with the other folder containing the installer files.

MiKye200
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Fixed :grin:

Thanks again, [SOE]No.Mam