PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Movies in the Third Dimension

_RAAF_Stupot
05-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Has anybody ever considered how one would go about creating an IL-2 movie in 3D. Would it be something like this?

1) Make a recording in the game.
2) Using Fraps, make two recordings of the ntrk both at 50 fps, from two side-by-side vantage points.
3) In your video editor, remove the red channel from the 'left hand footage', and the blue channel from the 'right hand footage'.
4) In your video editor, splice the red & blue frames of each footage together into a single unit & render at 50 fps. Now you have a single video in which the red & blue swaps at 50 fps, but is still 25 fps effectively as far as motion is concerned.
5) Watch it with 3D glasses, with a red tint over the left eye and a blue tint over the right.

Voila - a 3D movie

A few questions.

1) Would the fps of the footage interfere with the refresh rate of your monitor?
2) Does Youtube change the effective fps of a video uploaded to it (which also could interfere with the fps of the native video)?
3) How far apart 'in the game' would the recording locations have to be?

_RAAF_Stupot
07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
<sound of crickets in the night>

Well, I suppose that means that I should try and give it a go, and see what happens, and let you know what I discover!

As far as my question #3 is concerned, I think that if I want a decent 3D effect, then I should scale what I am looking at compared to the separation of my eyeballs.

So if my eyes are 10 cm apart looking at an object 300 cm away, then to get the same '3D effect' from game footage looking at an aircraft 30 metres away, I will have to place the static cameras about 1 metre apart.