PDA

View Full Version : Star Wolves Talkie?

solkan
05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I just got Star Wolves and I have noticed that there are no spoken dialogues in game, while German version seems to have them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEOvx0a9DY
at 3:54
Is something wrong with my game or did English version never have spoken dialogues in game.
Thanks for help!

Trucidation
05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Edit: Oops, I misunderstood you. There's voice acknowledgements from your mothership and pilots during the game itself and speech in the video cutscenes, but none for regular narrative throughout the game.

From that point in the video it sounds like a station acknowledgement. When you select your mothership it should say something. Same when you give it a location to move to or a target. Ditto for all your pilots. Not sure how you missed that, but there's definitely voice there.

If you mean long spoken voice, only the news items at the intermission have that. Everything else is mostly acknowledgements or things like "I've been hit!". The Red Corsair annoys me, he sounds like he doesn't want to obey your orders ("Ughhh... okay").

mk_sky
05-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I did't know about the english versions but in the german versions of star wolves and star wolves 2 is mostly everything spoken (from command, over news and mission descriptions [not the quest log for sure] to sounds like: "Ive been hit" and briefings to you), thats why it screams me that in star wolves 3 is mostly nothing spoken XD

Trucidation
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, it's a shame. Still, the files are there. They simply used 1-2 seconds of silence. It would be trivial to replace them - in fact someone already put together a voicepack from SW1 & SW2 to use in SW3 and posted it here somewhere.

I've been toying around with some voice samples too, but my sources are mostly H games so they're rather... inappropriate. Need more sources from RTS or shooters.

Trucidation
06-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Here's a female replacement for the hero, Alice Margatroid (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Alice_Margatroid) :D Voice samples taken from N-type personality. She speaks in Japanese, sorry for those of you who were expecting an English pilot. I need more voice samples; please let me know if you know of games whose characters have a lot of spoken parts - better yet, readily accessible voice files. I'm guessing FPS games and RTS games may be a good place to look.

And for something totally random, does anyone else remember Sepultura's Chaos A.D. album had a hidden bonus laugh track? I got some samples from it from way back when people were still playing the original Doom (mods were ".wad" files, ahh DOS-era modding, lol). I just discovered YouTube has the full clip (watch?v=P06Z-y8-coc). I was thinking laughter would be appropriate for a particularly bloodthirsty male pilot for when he scores a kill.

How to install:
Download attachment, unzip to game folder.

Have fun :-P

Edit:
In case anyone was confused because she didn't sound like what you were expecting, I'm not talking about this N-type (http://npatraits.homestead.com/ntype.html) personality - I'm talking about this (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Artificial_Girl_3_personalities#N) one. Volume's a little low though, I just did a straight copy-paste of the original game files, and it doesn't help that she tends to speak softly. Ah well.

Update:
Fixed the voice files - cleaned them up and amplified them, she should be as audible as the other pilots now.

By the way, you can replace any pilot. All you need to do is rename the appropriate wav files. Same goes for their face textures (there are only 3: 32x32, 64x64, and 128x128 versions). I did the hero simply because I prefer female leads.

Trucidation
06-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Okay, so maybe people prefer a guy hero. Voice samples taken from YouTube. I screwed up the stereo->mono conversion though and the volume amplification went past distortion limits - he sounds unnaturally louder than everything else. Oh well, I guess it fits in with his overall unnaturalness.

How to install:
Download attachment, unzip to game folder.

Edit:
Almost forgot, insert obligatory disclaimer, not responsible for any nightmares you may have, etc.