PDA

View Full Version : Flight Stick Axis Sensitivity?

SEE
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Having poroblems controlling Stall and Spin on many of the stock a/c ( Cyborg X flightstick). I know that the flightstick response can be tailored in the menus and the user manual suggests alternative settings but wondered if the majority of you experienced iL2 flyers were using the same settings for the axis response for all a/c or do you adjust the Axis sensitivity for each and every a/c that you pilot?

The LA5 for example is fine with the default settings but, switch to a Spitfire or a P51-D for example) and the slightest deviation of the stick results in stalling or spinning. I do not want to disable 'stall and spins'.

AndyJWest
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
At the moment, having to alter stick response each time for different aircraft would be a pain, and I expect most of us just find a compromise that works for us. Whet suits you may not be what suits others, but as you say the manual suggests an alternative setup if you are having problems:
For those who experience difficulties controlling aircraft with the default joystick profile (axis
sensitivity curves in the Input menu),we provide sensitivity curves that we found more suit-
able for most of the modern input devices.
To set up the curves,go to the Input menu under the Hardware Setup in the Main Menu,and
adjust the values according the following chart:
Pitch:
0 5 10 17 25 33 43 54 71 100
Roll:
0 3 7 15 25 35 50 66 84 100
Yaw:
0 8 19 29 39 51 62 75 86 100

Note that though this reduces sensitivity near the stick centre position, it will increase it at the extremes - if it didn't, you wouldn't get full control surface movement.

As I understand it, Team daidolos were looking at including multiple user-defined control setups in a future patch - enabling different sensitivity curves for different aircraft.

The P-51 is a bit of a beast for a beginner - it is a little easier to handle with a lower fuel load. With Spitfires, force feedback helps if you have it - you feel the shake at the onset of stall. Otherwise, you have to rely on visual signs, and experience. If you are really struggling, try something with easier handling - a Hurricane perhaps, or one of the earlier Japanese fighters - they are mostly fairly forgiving.

SEE
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Cheers Andy, tried a variety of settings and eventually resolved the 'instabilty'. I will modify the Elevator axis profile for each of the aircraft, the Aileron axis profile seems fine left at one set of values.

tagTaken2
05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Check to make sure the joystick values in config.ini have 0 at the end, ie:

0 0 5 10 17 25 33 43 54 71 100 0

Should be 12 figures all together, first 0 is for deadzone, last 0 is for filtering. Game seems to clip the last one occasionally, causes erratic input for me. I set config.ini as read-only after I've made any changes.

David198502
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
hey guys!
hey evangeluse!!!!
as i play now for about one week this game, i have the same problems like SEE setting up the sensitivities of the axis. i have set the roll and the pitch axis up to your recommendation AndyJwest, but i dont know where i can change the yaw axis as it doesnt appear in my menu!???can somebody tell me where i can find it!? and what is the filter under the axis meaning?thx for all information.

AndyJWest
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
From the manual (manual.pdf in your IL-2 folder):
ADDITIONAL IN-GAME JOYSTICK SETTINGS
Find and press the Hardware Setup button in the game’s Main Menu.You are now in the
Hardware Setup menu.Press the Input button.Here you can set up the following features for
your joystick:
•Dead Band is used to set a dead zone where small movements of the stick will cause
almost no reaction.This feature can be helpful if you are playing a flight simulator for the
first time or have the old type of joystick.If you are an experienced flight simmer,we
strongly recommend that you set Dead Band in the left position or very close to the left
position.
•Filtering allows you to set a digitized filter if your joystick has problems with adequate
reaction.
•You can select basic joystick axes and change their profiles by using Fine-Tuning in the
special table to adjust the stick reaction curve.Some joysticks need fine-tuning,but
most work correctly with our default settings.You can select the axis for fine-tuning in
the left combo box.
•To enable or disable the Force Feedback feature,set the Force Feedback switch to on or off.
•If you find that our initial settings were more appropriate than your changes,press the
Default button.All the settings will revert to default status.
•Press Back to quit this menu.Any changes made will be applied automatically.

AS for why the rudder axis settings don't show, I don't know. How are you controlling the rudder? Pedals? Twisty joystick?

brando
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
IL-2 will only assign sensitivity settings to one controller - so if you are using pedals then your rudder cannot be adjusted in the in-game window. If you are using a twisty stick then it may help if you "bind" the twist-axis in the HOTAS section of Controls. This is done in the same way as direct button assignments - open the window opposite the required axis and then move the stick in the required direction. The axis designation will appear in the window - job done.

The easiest solution however, is not to use the in-game sensitivity mapper at all! Set it all to 100 and then download IL-2 Joy Control from www.mission4today.com
This user-made utility will help you to set curves for every axis that you can command, dependent on how many sliders or rotaries you have. It has an easy-to-understand GUI and several features that are a big improvement on the in-game methods.

Brando

David198502
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
hey andyjwest!thx for the tips.
but my biggest problem is that i dont know the meaning of the ten bars for each of the axis. the first is for the deadzone i assume, but i dont know what the other 9 are for.
if i set for the pitchaxis the last bar on 100 i have big problems not to stall. if i have set them all on 50 or 60, i can turn well, but not thight enough, and everyone is outturning me online.

SEE
05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi David, not ready to go on line yet but I have set my elevator axis down on the last range to around 75 while I get to grips with IL 1946. Everything I have read suggests that the last set of axis data should always be left at 100 but I can't get on with that setting on the 'elevator axis' at the moment. Ailerons I find can be left more or less at 100 and this has made the flight on the twitchier a/c more stable and predictable. When I have sussed the flight physics I will join on line. I can't keep up with other identical a/c at the moment and have posted a question in hope someone can explain why.........:(

Ernst
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I think full real settings would be only 100 percent sensitivity since adjust joystick responses is a way to solve the vices of some airplane. May settings could allow only a deadband for old joys, however new joys is much more precise and not need such deaband or filtering stuffs.

I always fly 100% as a way to obtain higher immersion. To me adjust joy config is some kind of cheat, cause you are changing your plane natural responses to obtain a easy way to flight.

Ernst
05-20-2010, 06:09 PM
SoW could have a HARDCORE level that does not allow pilot adjust joy and had to fly with 100% sensitivity for each aircraft, suffering from its vices and advantages.

David198502
05-22-2010, 07:36 AM
hey SEE!
man this game is a hardcore simulator, so fascinating and frustrating at the same time for beginners.
i have the same time to keep up with other aircrafts in campaign missions.
but refering to the joystick sensitivity, i have set now all the bars on 100 and im getting use to it.cause my biggest problem was that if i left the last bar on 100 but pulled down the other 9, then the joystick suddenly reacts more sensitive in a turn which lead to a stall for me.but set everything on 100 you recognize when the plane is about to stall and can react properly.
my only real succes is that i already shot some planes down online.

SEE
05-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi David, it's a lot more challenging than any other SIM for sure. I will go MP when I have completed more SP missions. I should have bought IL1946 a long time ago but my old PC wasn't good enough. Maybe catch you on line soon (when I can comfortably deal with enemy AI that is......:grin:) and well done if you are getting MP kills already!

K_Freddie
05-22-2010, 05:31 PM
To me adjust joy config is some kind of cheat
You know of course if you inspect any aircraft control lines or rods (pre fly-by-wire) you'll find mechanical adjustments that can be made.
Cheat - Highly unlikely when then everyone had their own personal plane, and could ask the ground crew adjust it as necessary - also givng a pilot some mechanical advantage over nature's forces.

I'm not sure whether this was generally allowed but it was, and still is possible.
;)

WTE_Galway
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Remember Joystick Profiles are saved with the currently loaded pilot career. If you start several different pilot careers "P51 pilot" "Gladiator Pilot" etc you can have a different Joystick Profile for each pilot career you save.

It is not quite the same as a different profile for each aircraft but it does work.

K_Freddie
05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
hey SEE!
man this game is a hardcore simulator, so fascinating and frustrating at the same time for beginners.
i have the same time to keep up with other aircrafts in campaign missions.
but refering to the joystick sensitivity, i have set now all the bars on 100 and im getting use to it.cause my biggest problem was that if i left the last bar on 100 but pulled down the other 9, then the joystick suddenly reacts more sensitive in a turn which lead to a stall for me.but set everything on 100 you recognize when the plane is about to stall and can react properly.
my only real succes is that i already shot some planes down online.
Well David.. when you put all bars on 100 and the last (higher) few slightly lower (not less than 85%), you will be 'allowed' to fly the 190 in 'nirvana'.
Hope you have rudder pedals...

Remember to relax when pressing the trigger - don't over-react/jerk the joystick.
:cool: