PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2 Drivers for Windows 7??

Flying_Nutcase
05-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi Chaps,

I'm finally back to flying after 2++ years away. And there's a problem:

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback 2 joystick but I'm not having any luck finding drivers for Windows 7 64 bit.

Are there any? If not, is there some sort of workaround?

Thanks for any help on this one!

Flying Nutcase

tagTaken2
05-02-2010, 03:38 AM
I don't believe there is updated software for MSFFB2. For WinXP, there was a workaround for SP2/3, but nothing for Vista/Win7.
There are some alternate mapping softwares, such as Joy to Key, or Xpadder that should work, but no way to adjust ffb unless it's ingame.
Really makes you appreciate good controller setup, such as the one in Black Shark, can even map modifier + hatswitch.

=PF=Coastie
05-02-2010, 10:05 AM
The stick will work fine simply by plug and play. But in order to get mapping functions, you will need to try a third party software. I am currently using Pinnacle Game profiler. You can try it for free. I paid for it because I liked it so much and the tech support was very helpful getting me started with it. It is very powerful software that will allow you to map virtually any combination of keys to the joystick and create your own custom profile. I currently have a 21 function setup on my FFB2.

Flying_Nutcase
05-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Taken, Coastie,

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll check out Pinnacle - it sounds like the real deal.

BTW Coastie, I've had my FFB2 for about 6 years or so and the handle has gone all sticky. Is my enriched sweat dissolving the plastic, lol. Or are you having the same issue?

Cheers!

Flying Nutcase

KG26_Alpha
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
The covering can be removed with a very mild solvent (test a bit first)

I have 2 green light sticks and 1 red light.

I removed the "film" with a mild meths solution as with you it peeled a bit and went sticky.

BigPickle
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
The stick will work fine simply by plug and play. But in order to get mapping functions, you will need to try a third party software. I am currently using Pinnacle Game profiler. You can try it for free. I paid for it because I liked it so much and the tech support was very helpful getting me started with it. It is very powerful software that will allow you to map virtually any combination of keys to the joystick and create your own custom profile. I currently have a 21 function setup on my FFB2.

Hey Coastie,
I just started using the pinicle program and i'm finidng it a nightmare to set up a good profile, the help file is really usless lol
Is there any chance you could export your profile sertup and email or pm it to me so I can test it out and see how a correct setup should be.
If you would do that i would greatly appreciate it indeed.

Darkbluesky
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Hello KG26_Alpha

I have also the problem of the sticky handle of my MFF2, I am trying to clean (remove the sticky "film") with meths but it is not very effective (I have to rub with my nails to remove a little).

Did you use a kind of solution/mix? with what can I do it?

Thank you!

KG26_Alpha
11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi
All I did was use a cloth with meths and held it to soak against the surface then removed with a small plastic scraper.

It takes a while :)

Darkbluesky
11-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks. After all the afternoon of work, I have cleaned it and removed all the sticky "film", now it is as new but better because it will never be sticky again.

I have used meth in a little glass and soaked small zones with the help of little cotton sticks (these used normally for the ears). And then rub with nail, little plastic sraper as you suggested and some old cotton T-shirt now used as cloth for cleaning.

After that I have applied a car black plastics restorer from krafft and now it seems like new.

Finally I can enjoy another time of my MSFF2. Thanks a lot for the advices!

Azimech
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I installed Win7 64 this week on a separate partition. IL2 runs fine and my FF2 works flawlessly. Was a nice surprise! I still keep my XP's as backup though.

Bearcat
11-02-2010, 12:42 AM
See this thread @ UBI (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3281016436/p/1). I prefer the TGC.. it s less intrusive.. but it has no FFB editing.. since I have FFB turned off in the sim and only use stick forces it wasn't an issue for me.