PDA

View Full Version : loading error 149

razghoul
04-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Hello,

I am experiencing a lot of aggravation with this game. I run windows vista x64,with an nvidia 250gts 1 gb video card, and 4 gb of ram, and a AMD tri core cpu (2.8 ghz), i have direct x 10 installed. It functions properly with my other games...

I am just trying the demo of this game, downloaded from steam, it ran fine when i first installed it.. but then, like most other games i decided to go into the video settings to see if i can optimize the quality. I believe i made 2 changes, i increased anti-aliasing to just x4 (from zero), and i maxed out shadows. As soon as I clicked apply the game popped up an error message that I attached to this post (screenshot). Something along these lines (if your unable to view):

Can't get back buffer surface (edevicescreen.cpp, 149)
>>>>>>> main
>>>>>> mp.thread_single.exec
>>>>> thread. exec
>>>> clockthread:onExecute
>>> ui:setResolution
>> screen:set_mode
> screen:init

To fix this error i have tried many things.. I have of course completely uninstalled the game (using control panel add/remove, then restarting, after restart going to the game directory and deleting all files, then going into registry and searching for all references of mow or men of war and deleting those as well, when i reinstall the game the same error pops up.

I then tried uninistalling my avg antivirus and reinstalled the game with the same effect.

i then reconfigured my nvidia card settings to take control of anti-aliasing from the application.. but again it did not help.

I installed the game using steam, so I decided to try some of their solutions, such as adding -autoconfig to the launch switch... to reset the game to default settings but that does not help.. oddly in steam i just get an error that the game 'is unavailable'. I tried verifying the game cache and integrity, i then even tried updating stream but deleting the client configu files but nothing seems to work..

Generally most games have some sort of pre interface you can use to reset the default videoo settings prior to loading the game but i have not found this setting for mow.. does such a thing exist?

right now if i run the game directly (from the installation directory (ie not through steam)) i basically see all the splash load up screens (for IC or what have you) but once the game actually loads i just crash to desktop with the above error message.

other games i play through steam have been working without an issue.. these include arma 2/total war series/mount an blade..

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.. I would like to buy this game, but if the demo doesn't even work then i am definately not going to pay for it..

i am a computer network administrator by trade, so my technical level is quite high, willing to give anything a try..

SViruS83
04-27-2010, 04:28 AM
You have to change resolution of Your screen and refreshment. in pw I haven't add about refreshment rate. Just change it in windows and You should get into settings of game. There set correct res and ref. but not "windows settings" That should resolve Your problem. If it will happen again.. You just have to try another configuration. That's All.