PDA

View Full Version : SOW AI Crew members?

TBear
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Been browsing around some forums, but couldnt find any information about this.

Flying bombers in IL2 kinda feels lonesome. There are spots for AI crew members (co pilot-Bombardier etc) but all there is are empty seats.

Will SOW have 3d crewmembers in all positions? So you dont feel alone..

I love both Steel fury and SH5 for this, brings loads of emersion to a game for me when i dont feel alone......This is actualy where B-17 mighty 8 shines....

Sitting in your HE-111 having a headon with a hurrycane and all you se after the initial chaos are wounded / dead crewmembers....

Well....just asking if this will be in SOW ??

:) have a great weekend all

TBear

robtek
04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
OM said that there wouldn't be crew-members as there a too many variations of animations are to be made, also they would block some views which are needed.
So, no bodys in first person view afaik.
I shurely hope that this can be changed by a third party or even from OM at a later time.

Feathered_IV
04-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Hope he reconsiders too. The notion that a crewman would block the view is without logic. They would block the view no more or no less than in real life.
I would really like to see interaction with crew also. They should report on ships aircraft and ground objects for a start. The Navigator should navigate. The bomb aimer should aim the bloody bombs.

philip.ed
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Hope he reconsiders too. The notion that a crewman would block the view is without logic. They would block the view no more or no less than in real life.
I would really like to see interaction with crew also. They should report on ships aircraft and ground objects for a start. The Navigator should navigate. The bomb aimer should aim the bloody bombs.

I think it's only the pilots 1st person that would block instruments. you don't have peripheral vision in the sim (naturally) as you have in real life ;)

Novotny
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Ctrl&Alt&K: move pilot's left knee to the left. Ctrl&Alt&double-tap K: move pilot's left knee to the right.

Ctrl&Alt&Shift&K: move co-pilot's left knee to the left. Ctrl&Alt&Shift double-tap K: move co-pilots left knee to the right.

Ctrl&Alt&L: move pilot's right knee to the left. Ctrl&Alt&double-tap L: move pilot's right knee to the right.

Ctrl&Alt&Shift&K: move co-pilot's right knee to the left. Ctrl&Alt&Shift double-tap K: move co-pilots right knee to the right.

Although with clickable cockpits, you could maybe select the pilot, or navigator, or bomb-aimer etc and then a menu could come up, and you could select/deselect limbs and then where you wish to move them to.

I think this is clearly quite feasible.

robtek
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
It would be even easier if the limbs became semi-transparent as long as the mouse-pointer is over them.

johnnypfft
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/restranger/shot_20091218_114218.jpg

Maybe maybe not

Novotny
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
That's actually a great idea, robtek.

TBear
04-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Pilot seat i dont care about, thats me, no need to se my leggs or arms...i just hope that Co pilot, gunners bombardiers would be there so when you look around you se them......my seat is my seat, i can live with no pilot there other than me in the virtual world....lol....

That stuka piggy...is that for SOW??....realy realy realy hope that it will bein there, even in a more static way or something...just dont want to be alone....

TBear

johnnypfft
04-26-2010, 06:52 AM
That stuka piggy...is that for SOW??....realy realy realy hope that it will bein there, even in a more static way or something...just dont want to be alone....

That screen is the stuka gunner and its a work in progress SOW screenshot;) im pretty sure (99,9%) you will have a 3D crew (as an option maybe?) in the bombers/planes when you turn your head, pretty sure the co-pilot will be there too ...correct me if im wrong

kendo65
04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Has occurred to me that maybe the reason for not modelling crewmen is because a decision has been made to avoid gore and gruesome reality in SOW.

We know the accuracy with which damage is going to be modelled for the aircraft - individual bullets tracked producing holes in the right locations. To equally accurately model the effects of hits on the human body would make this game X-rated. Do people want to see an accurate depiction of what happens when your co-pilot takes a 20mm cannon shell in the head?

We've heard the stories of tail-gunners being shovelled and hosed out of the turrets of returning bombers.

Maybe Oleg has decided it is best to sidestep this whole issue?

Or maybe (as per the Stuka screenshot) we'll get crew members after all and Oleg will just tone down the 'gore' effect?

TBear
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
well about gore.....

I can only imagine how a JU-88 would look like in the cocpit after a direct hit...and i dont want to throw up flying a game.....

I dont want a red repaint of the cocpit......

There must be away to have toned down gore effects....bang boom bang look at co cpilot hes hanging in the seat with abit red etc.....Actualy we realy dont need more than there is in FB etc.....just a man hanging at hes position with abit red....if hes wounded holding hes hands on hes stumack with abit around....dont need to model 800n diffrent ways of blowing a leg of...3 models

normal flying
wounded
dead

I want a flightsim with crew....not a puke simulator that would make a zombie happy....

TBear

philip.ed
04-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I disagree, for me the term simulator speaks of realism and that is what I'd like. No one said war was pretty, and unfortunately it's far from it.

That's just my opinion though.

Blackdog_kt
04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
It's also a matter of ratings. I would have no problems with a low/no-gore crew as suggested, which would also sidestep the issue of getting adult ratings that would cut into the sales.

The proposed idea is actually really good, having 3 possible states for the crewmen is good enough (healthy,wounded and dead). I remember back in the day when i used to fly B17 the mighty 8th. Crewmen would get wounded all the time and sometimes killed, but there was no real gore. If someone got shot, he simply called out "i'm hit" or another crewman would inform you on the intercom that "left waist gunner is down". Switching the cameras around you would see a crewman lying on the floor and clutching at at his leg or something.

It adds some immersion without being over the top and it does the job well. You can tell at a glance if your crewmembers are ok or not which is the most important part, especially if they are modelled to actually do their job. A dead crewman in IL2 is no big deal. However, if in SoW we get gunners that call out contacts properly, navigators that actually give vectors and generally a crew that you can interact with to help you in the mission, then a disabled crewman becomes an important issue, plus it would be really cool to be able to instruct your crew to give first aid to the wounded, or order them to swap positions with a disabled crewman. I hope we get to see something like this at some point in the future.