PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2010-04-23 Video and Discussion Thread

Oleg Maddox
04-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi,

First viseo is from the game engine. WIP. Movements, colors of grass, leafs, etc are still not tuned. Was tuned but with the last changes of physics lights laws need to be tuned again. Later.
Second video is from viewer tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp_c8s4FcFo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvPlpreAwHo

Nepe_EAF51
04-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Amazing

DJB
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
:shock::shock::shock: WOW

johnnypfft
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Awesome!! Is it units inside and driving the trucks? Grass is good too! but dont add too much color on the grass (imo) :rolleyes: The trucks looks heavy, i love the new engine

Abbeville-Boy
04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
that looks really great, I love fridays! :grin:

Stranzki
04-23-2010, 01:57 PM
that looks really great, I love fridays! :grin:

+1

Can't wait for the 2nd video :)

Ernst
04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Hmmm... Would like to take off and attack this convoy right now! Cant wait... :twisted: Oleg, next update give us a ground attack and some action. I want to see things burning!

Love fridays too, updates, beer and go out to get girls.

NSU
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
look nice

Tata
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Cool!
Nice update. Just form of grass in first plan and way how it is moving to me looks little strange. I can't say what exactly, but something in this movement to me is strange... Just such impression... Everything else looks just fantastic!

HB252
04-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Oleg and teamwork guys!! :grin:

Simply amazing!!! :o (mi mouth is still open and slime)

Great work!!

BadAim
04-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Fantastic.

zakkandrachoff
04-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Hmmm... Would like to take off and attack this convoy right now! Cant wait... :twisted: Oleg, next update give us a ground attack and some action. I want to see things burning!

Love fridays too, updates, beer and go out to get girls.

jeje +1

good job

kestrel79
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Videos look great thanks Oleg!

I don't know if its the shading from the first video but the grass and trees do look less "Shrekish" and more earthy. I like the direction the colors are heading in. I know everyone will tune it just right for release! Looks very promising.

I second that, I can't wait to shoot up that convoy!

Tank in the 2nd video looks pretty cool. I imagine myself flying real low lining up for a strafe or bomb run and actually visually seeing the tank turret turn to try and fire at me. Too cool. :) Will add another "holy crap" factor to this sim. Antenna whips is cool too. I want to see these things over some rough terrain!

Tata
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Sorry for stupid question, but what will happen if turn turret to the left? I mean what will happen with antenna? :)

Daniël
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
+1

Can't wait for the 2nd video :)

+1 Love Fridays to:grin:.

Great update! Keep up your good work.

Fragal
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
looks great !
Quick question will vehicles have their own camera view ?

HB252
04-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Oleg one question:

Can you say us now (or is very soon) the pc´s features for run good the BOB how in the first video?

Thx

Avimimus
04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm stunned.

But I can still ask: Are there plans to introduce slight random variations into the movement of vehicles? For example:
- Have the speed of each vechicle vary by 0.2 kph, oscillating around the speed set in the mission files?
- Having the reaction time of a turret randomly vary by a second or two (so turrets start turning a fraction of a second later or earlier - making them less predictable)?

It would certainly make it more interesting to be a tank crewman ;)

Once again, I'm stunned by today's update. It has taken all my composure and self-restraint to be able to post such a trivial point instead of simply being overawed for the next six hours...

Mysticpuma
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Looks very impressive. One question about the tanks. Although it's marked up as "Object Viewer", will the wheels and tracks actually move in the simulation.

I'd be gutted if the detail of the model was as-good as it is now, and the tracks don't move when they travel.

Cheers, MP

zapatista
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Oleg & Co,

thx for the update, looking very good !

cant see much movement in the suspension of the vehicles there, but i presume they are moving on level ground at the moment

did i see a driver modeled in the 2e truck ? will he jump out and run for cover when strafed ? (like the current troop carrier trucks do with their men in il2)

looks like we are getting much closer to release time, this is great :)

RedToo
04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Very Happy.

RedToo.

335th_GRSwaty
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
WoW!!

Thank you Oleg and 1C!!

PeterPanPan
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
This is all looking fantastic - colours are indeed looking better and it's great to see grass and trees animated.

Just one question - are the convoy vehicles electric powered or will the final release see exhaust fumes spewing out from them?!?

I love Avimimus's suggestion of slightly randomising the speed of each convoy vehicle. How's about also slightly randomising the path they travel over, so they are not always perfectly in line astern, as if they are on rails?

Good weekend to all.

PPanPan

Flanker35M
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
S!

Nice :)

philip.ed
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
The trees and grass are looking amazing! I didn't expect to see the leaves themselves moving! :D

But one thing, is it me or does the grass seem to be moving a bit too quickly? Of course it's WIP, but it's hard to tell whether it would actually be like this in reality, or if it's a play of the light :D

Skoshi Tiger
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the update! It's looking really good.

I hope I'm not getting too far ahead of myself here (too excited from seeing the video's :) ) but how will the AI for vehicles react if two columns of vehicles meet at a cross road? Will they avoid colision and give way to each other or will we get traffic jams? Will tanks just barge through and every one else will just get out of the way? ;)

Cheers and thanks again for the updates! :)

Dano
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
But one thing, is it me or does the grass seem to be moving a bit too quickly? Of course it's WIP, but it's hard to tell whether it would actually be like this in reality, or if it's a play of the light :D

That looks like a taller plant than the grass, something else and the light appears to make it look like it's moving a lot faster than it is I think.

Update is awesome :)

whatnot
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Wow, I'm stunned! I need to wear diapers when I get my first chance of strafing those convoys!

I'm curious about the behaviour of vehicles too, how will they react when getting blocked etc? Also will there be a bunch of infantry jumping out of them when getting strafed like I think IL already has? If so will infantry get wacked individually when hit?

I bet this has been answered twenty times already so appologies in advance! :eek:

sport02
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
That looks like a taller plant than the grass, something else and the light appears to make it look like it's moving a lot faster than it is I think.

sorry but in reality you can have similar type of wind's effect on grass ( corn or grist in that case )

Dano
04-23-2010, 04:04 PM
sorry but in reality you can have similar type of wind's effect on grass ( corn or grist in that case )

Really not sure what you're trying to say?

Dano
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm stunned.

But I can still ask: Are there plans to introduce slight random variations into the movement of vehicles? For example:
- Have the speed of each vechicle vary by 0.2 kph, oscillating around the speed set in the mission files?
- Having the reaction time of a turret randomly vary by a second or two (so turrets start turning a fraction of a second later or earlier - making them less predictable)?

It would certainly make it more interesting to be a tank crewman ;)

Once again, I'm stunned by today's update. It has taken all my composure and self-restraint to be able to post such a trivial point instead of simply being overawed for the next six hours...

Watch it again in full screen, it looks a lot like the trailing vehicle is catching the middle one as it comes into the camera and then slows to match speeds.

philip.ed
04-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Hope so :D

choctaw111
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
This is simply incredible and starting to look like a real movie.

Zappatime
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
:shock::D8-)
woo, to think this is a flight sim and not a ground based battle sim though its more than capable I think; that Scammell looks awesome, brings back memories of an old Airfix 1:72 model, absolutely just right, and the light/colours/shading in the scene are really good.
If there was an icon for a dribbling gooey smilie this post would be full of them.

The grass animation looks a bit speeded up, though the light/shadows dancing over it emphasise that effect, its clear the engine is quite something, even down at the ground level

Roll on next Friday, I've said it before - this is torture Oleg, but don't stop, I like it ;)

kendo65
04-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Looking Great! The sun-dappled tall grass in the foreground gives a really immersive effect.

A big shift from what we've seen before in that for the first time there is a real feeling of place (ie it could be England) and time (really captures a feeling of high summer).

Beautifully detailed Pz 35t which combined with the lighting looks real. Would be nice to see a tank commander standing in the opened turret hatch! (not a request - just dreaming out loud...:) )

zauii
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Very nice , good job Oleg!

lbuchele
04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Is the speed of the footage accelerated, like old movies?
The movement of the grass and leaves seems too fast.
The quality of the images is truly amazing, the waiting is becoming more and more painful...
As I said before , when I see the quality of ground objects in SOW I realize that for the first time I can prefer to be a Stuka pilot ...

Stranzki
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Is the speed of the footage accelerated, like old movies?
The movement of the grass and leaves seems too fast.

I have the same impression! I'm sure it is accelerated to shorten it.

Caveman
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Looks fantastic. Please keep up the movies like this each week... Don't think I could ever tire of looking at these types of movies each week showing some terrain and some objects...

Romanator21
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Great! Colors are perfect, trees and grass look awesome!

Regarding some concerns about grass movement, grass can move that quickly but it doesn't all the time. I'm willing to bet that the effects will be tuned and will vary based on weather and wind conditions.

SlipBall
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
All looking very good, thanks for updating:grin:

lbuchele
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, returning to the original post , Oleg affirm that movements are WIP.
I read it too fast, no reason to worry about grass movement,it will be tuned for sure.

klem
04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Excellent improvement in detail over IL-2.

I hope this attention to detail is carried into the Flight Models, Damage Models and the cockpit/fittings (we've seen some screen shots but the real thing will tell).

Still can't wait for it to come out and surely with this year being the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain we will see it before Battle of Britain Day, September 15th? (was that an echo?)

I have to say that whilst we are pretty tolerant and positive, patience is running a bit thin after several years.

Please give us a clue Oleg.

AndyJWest
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I have to say that whilst we are pretty tolerant and positive, patience is running a bit thin after several years.

I think we probably test Oleg's patience more than he tests ours. :grin:

rakinroll
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Oleg, thank you very much, details are wonderful. Btw, very good natural enviromental details... i want to go picnic. :D

lbuchele
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I think we probably test Oleg's patience more than he tests ours. :grin:
You bet.:rolleyes:

proton45
04-23-2010, 11:47 PM
The trucks and tanks look so good I just want to blow them to pieces....lol

Necrobaron
04-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks fantastic!

The trucks and tanks look so good I just want to blow them to pieces....lol

I'm looking forward to seeing the damage model of the planes and ground objects in action!
________
Chevrolet 150 Specifications (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_150)

Skarphol
04-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Once again, the level of detail is amazing!!

Ok, the grass moves too quick compaired to the branches above.
But look at how the trees close to the point of view are very detailed compared to the trees further behind! That is very important when it comes down to frame rates. Thanks to SpeedTree, i assume.
And once again; I'm amazed by how the antennaes is affected by air resistance alone. When that panzer is turning, the antennaes is first bent because of inertia, but then stays bent due to air resistance! What flightsim on earth would model that?!?!
I'm speechless!

Skarphol

sport02
04-24-2010, 07:44 AM
apparently the leaf of other trees so far move too and not only on the near tree .
it could be new because I have never seen that in actual games where you have these mouvements just near the proximity of the camera , not ?

Qpassa
04-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Incredible work, would be nice if ( when you have time ) you release a tool for make static cameras in the SOW to make movies

major_setback
04-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the update!
It is difficult to tell from Youtube quality, but it looks like models are going from one level of detail to another. For example, the rear wheels of the last truck/gun snap into focus as it gets closer to the left side of the screen as the next lod shows. It is done as a very smooth transition though :-).
I also like that there is no 'blockiness' to the poly-model at a distance, even wheel arches at a distance keep their curved appearance. Furthermore the skins are simplified, but all main details seem to be retained (like the writing on the lorries). Reflected/highlight areas still make the vehicles stand out at low resolution.

Viking
04-24-2010, 09:02 AM
The movies took me back to my childhood, playing with my Dinky Toys in the sandbox.
It will be great fun just to sit and watch this game as cars, tanks and airplanes etc moves around.

Million thanks for the update!

|ZUTI|
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Wonderful, simply wonderful.

choctaw111
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I have the same impression! I'm sure it is accelerated to shorten it.

Oleg doesn't just post pictures and movies but also writes things about the update. Read what he had to say and this will answer your concerns.
Oleg reworked the physics engine and needs to re-adjust the grass and tree movements.

erco
04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
There can be no question that we are on the verge of a groundbreaking release in the sim genre. There will be the games that came before SOW and those that came after SOW. Years from now, flightsim nuts will be talking about where they were when SOW came out. Oleg and Crew, I fully expect that whatever benchmark track you choose to include will be a staple of hardware reviews for some time.

Which is to say, beautiful work!

(And to echo others, I am available for beta testing, ya' know!)

kimosabi
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the teasers Team Oleg. Looking forward to this fall.

Insuber
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the update!
It is difficult to tell from Youtube quality, but it looks like models are going from one level of detail to another. For example, the rear wheels of the last truck/gun snap into focus as it gets closer to the left side of the screen as the next lod shows. It is done as a very smooth transition though :-)

I think it is indeed an effect of the YouTube video compression.

zapatista
04-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I think it is indeed an effect of the YouTube video compression.

are the vids available anywhere else so we can see them uncompressed ?

i downloaded the 720p version and the vehicles look fairly fuzzy for a HD clip, would be nice to see them in their true glory :)

easytarget3
04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I cant wait to strafe this great heavy vehicles to see if burst of 20 mm canon shells will shake them a bit.or explosition of 50 kg bomb kicks them out of road.the grass will be very cool once tuned,it looks like tank simulator for me now,so much detail,its nice,but i had a thought, i rather have many lower polygon things to fly over,like people,cows,sheeps,washing on line at backyard,bikes,small bridges over little streams, benches with people talking, other stuff which could be outside that time.. etc. then just one collumm of vehicles with amazing detail in empty country side, i like it dont get me wrong i just hope there will be more stuff to look at which is not directly important for the mission.anyway thanks a lot for the update, i love fridays :)
keep up the good work!

proton45
04-25-2010, 04:26 AM
I cant wait to strafe this great heavy vehicles to see if burst of 20 mm canon shells will shake them a bit.or explosition of 50 kg bomb kicks them out of road.the grass will be very cool once tuned,it looks like tank simulator for me now,so much detail,its nice,but i had a thought, i rather have many lower polygon things to fly over,like people,cows,sheeps,washing on line at backyard,bikes,small bridges over little streams, benches with people talking, other stuff which could be outside that time.. etc. then just one collumm of vehicles with amazing detail in empty country side, i like it dont get me wrong i just hope there will be more stuff to look at which is not directly important for the mission.anyway thanks a lot for the update, i love fridays :)
keep up the good work!

I have to admit that I wish running people where animated in the sim/game. It would add a lot to the simulation to watch crew men scatter as I buzz an airfield or soft target convoy... OR imagine if the bustling crowd below stopped to watch the dogfight drama unfolding above their heads.

Slatz
04-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Man I can't wait for this game.video's look awesome,can't wait for one with some sound.

easytarget3
04-25-2010, 07:21 AM
I have to admit that I wish running people where animated in the sim/game. It would add a lot to the simulation to watch crew men scatter as I buzz an airfield or soft target convoy... OR imagine if the bustling crowd below stopped to watch the dogfight drama unfolding above their heads.
excatly what i thought of...
:) we might not notice it if we were the one who was fighting but after we would win we would fly low and see the audience, just dreaming but you got the point,more life on the ground make the immersion with low flying and even from more above you could feel the life, i guess :).salute

Darkbluesky
04-26-2010, 05:55 AM

Me too. In fact I would wish to see some people in cities, country, etc. I know that there is the problem of players "killing people" and that could give an undesirable/bad rating or bad reputation to the game, but I think it can be avoided very easily. Just put people/animals in game but make them not affected by weapons neither explosions.

A bit unrealistic? yes, but at least we would have the immersion effect that it gives. I think it is better than nothing at all.

Even two categories could be done, one for general people/animals (unvulnerable) and other for "army", which could be vulnerable, and to hardcode it to avoid mods in that regard...

Mysticpuma
04-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Same question as before though. I like the detail of aerials swaying and moving, very nice, but will the wheels and tracks move on these vehicles?

Cheers, MP

AdMan
04-26-2010, 07:56 AM
^yes, that was answered eons ago

Dano
04-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Same question as before though. I like the detail of aerials swaying and moving, very nice, but will the wheels and tracks move on these vehicles?

Cheers, MP

As above, yes. There is even a video of them doing so somewhere.

kendo65
04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I know that there is the problem of players "killing people" and that could give an undesirable/bad rating or bad reputation to the game,

Compared to the average FPS, flightsims are comparatively 'bloodless'

but I think it can be avoided very easily. Just put people/animals in game but make them not affected by weapons neither explosions.

A bit unrealistic? yes, but at least we would have the immersion effect that it gives. I think it is better than nothing at all.

Even two categories could be done, one for general people/animals (unvulnerable) and other for "army", which could be vulnerable, and to hardcode it to avoid mods in that regard...

Making people / animals indestructible would be more than a 'bit' unrealistic. Think we have to accept that if the game is accurate enough to model civilians then it must acknowledge that in wars they get killed.

Anything else is nonsense.

Mysticpuma
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. I expected they would, but hadn't seen the post.

Cheers, MP

Darkbluesky
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Compared to the average FPS, flightsims are comparatively 'bloodless'

Yes, I agree. It's quite contradictory, but people/media seems to react like that. And each game looks for its market/niche and likes to be presented/seen in a certain way, not in any way.

Making people / animals indestructible would be more than a 'bit' unrealistic. Think we have to accept that if the game is accurate enough to model civilians then it must acknowledge that in wars they get killed.

Anything else is nonsense.

Yes, but this is a sim (or game for most) and some people do all kind of things (even worse than in the worst wars if they are allowed to :!:), and Oleg does not live of hard-simmers only, there is the media, etc I guess you get the point. It is a sim/game with all its specific real world environment and restrictions, market, connotations, interests, politics, culture, etc. And like it or not it is subjected to it. The point is the developer/publisher has to think in everything, not only in top realism/fidelity.

I agree though, there are contradictory situations in society, that's not new. And as far as realism, this "solution" is not the best. That's clear. But I thought it was better than nothing (btw, imo nothing is quite unrealistic too).

Anyway it is only an idea!, probably there are a lot more and much better out there.

Cheers

whatnot
04-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I know that there is the problem of players "killing people" and that could give an undesirable/bad rating or bad reputation to the game, but I think it can be avoided very easily. Just put people/animals in game but make them not affected by weapons neither explosions.

I'm curious where this concern of people going berserk and wacking bunch of civilians in game comes from?

If that's possible it takes a certain type of character or certain amount of boredom / frustration to do that. And meeting civilians on flight sim is quite rare compared to your average 'go crazy' titles like GTA.

Does the mere chance of being able to kill civilians actually enable possibility for bad ratings / bad publicity ? I very much doubt that and would like to see collateral damage as it realistically should be and I think we're pretty safe with that. I also don't have any issues with blood / bullet hits if such is decided to be modelled realistically.. that could be disabled with a setting or whatever to let the kiddies play too.

nearmiss
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Flight sims are a different genre and shouldn't be viewed as down and dirty war games.

Blood and gore are available in enough games to satisfy blood lusts, so why would we want IL2 SOW turned into such?

I'd like to see more mud, crud, blown up stuff, bomb craters in action areas. I'd like to see airbases that were slosh mud, and experience some uncontrollable ground conditions.

I'd love weather changes on the fly for sure, but hearing people scream and seeing them blown to pieces... parts and blood everywhere doesn't really add to experience of this game genre.

We need something like the "Buttkicker" for those people that really want to experience the horror of war. Maybe instead of attaching a harmless vibrator to the seat of the player we should have a shocking device that mounts on your cranial extremity. Then when you get shot you get a healthy jolt of harmless, but adequate electricity. Continued shocks of course might result in messing your pants, but you would learn to commiserate with war victims over time.

When AI people are being blown to bits, that is the stuff for pre-teenagers We need something with real grit, if we want to get war like immersion.

Avimimus
04-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Odd - just because there is an extra couple few hundred metres difference in distance killing dozens of people using half a dozen machine-guns is "comparatively bloodless". This before adding rockets, bombs and napalm.

Insuber
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Oleg,

I wonder if the AI of ground vehicles will be enough intelligent to react to approaching planes, for instance by dispersing or looking for cover in woods.

Both in Il2 and ROF the ground convoys today look completely dumb.

Cheers,
Insuber

zauii
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Flight sims are a different genre and shouldn't be viewed as down and dirty war games.

Blood and gore are available in enough games to satisfy blood lusts, so why would we want IL2 SOW turned into such?

I'd like to see more mud, crud, blown up stuff, bomb craters in action areas. I'd like to see airbases that were slosh mud, and experience some uncontrollable ground conditions.

I'd love weather changes on the fly for sure, but hearing people scream and seeing them blown to pieces... parts and blood everywhere doesn't really add to experience of this game genre.

We need something like the "Buttkicker" for those people that really want to experience the horror of war. Maybe instead of attaching a harmless vibrator to the seat of the player we should have a shocking device that mounts on your cranial extremity. Then when you get shot you get a healthy jolt of harmless, but adequate electricity. Continued shocks of course might result in messing your pants, but you would learn to commiserate with war victims over time.

When AI people are being blown to bits, that is the stuff for pre-teenagers We need something with real grit, if we want to get war like immersion.

As a pilot of any aircraft you rarely see any gore anyhow, it's one of the things mentioned in a lot of interviews with veterans thankful for that(Machine vs Machine).
Also if you look at phyco logical effects after fights/wars for fighters pilots they are a lot less than compared to ground troops which have to see a lot of stuff up close in a DIFFERENT way.

So any gore or such would be both rather unrealistic and unnecessary.

Qpassa
04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi Oleg,

I wonder if the AI of ground vehicles will be enough intelligent to react to approaching planes, for instance by dispersing or looking for cover in woods.

Both in Il2 and ROF the ground convoys today look completely dumb.

Cheers,
Insuber

In IL-2 the tanks break their formation... better than nothing :-P

Mango
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
As a pilot of any aircraft you rarely see any gore anyhow, it's one of the things mentioned in a lot of interviews with veterans thankful for that(Machine vs Machine).
Also if you look at phyco logical effects after fights/wars for fighters pilots they are a lot less than compared to ground troops which have to see a lot of stuff up close in a DIFFERENT way.

So any gore or such would be both rather unrealistic and unnecessary.

+1 :|

RXMAN
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I expected they would, but hadn't seen the post.

Cheers, MP
They turn in this video, play it in 720 and you can see. At 360 it's not so evident.

AdMan
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
As far as people dying I'd imagine something similar to what we have now in IL2 for the pilots would be the best solution, that is when a person dies they just go limp - no blood or flying body parts or anything over the top just a basic "hey, you died".

The bodies, of course, would disappear after a short time. Or another work-around is to use the "run away" trick where the AI would always see you coming and they'd scatter, I think this would especially be cool for animals, I imagine buzzing a herd of sheep like a helicopter herder
http://www.herding-dog-training-border-collie-sheepdog-dvd.com/imgs/pic/sheep-station-helicopter_01_300x162.jpg

IceFire
04-27-2010, 03:36 AM

The parts about the mud, smoke, grime, and that sort of atmospheric sort of additions I think are great. I could do without the gore.. but the other bits and pieces would be great additions to the graphics.

zapatista
04-27-2010, 04:32 AM
For me blood is part of war, and some times in il2 with gore mod you can save ammo when you shot at a plane pass next to him and see canopy with blood stains.he could be tricking you

in the same way submarines ejected oil and garbage to fool a depth charging surface boar, maybe the pilot sprayed some can of tomato juice on his cockpit glass :)

i'd prefer to have "gore", but can understand it might be a moral/ethical issue not to have it included for minors (and affecting game rating)

csThor
04-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Maddox Games has to take into consideration that some countries are squeamish regarding gore in PC games (Germany is unfortunately one of the most squeamish ones :( ). That means gore could very likely lead to a detrimental age rating which would not only hamper marketing efforts but also sales. For example games with severe gore effects end up on an index list in Germany which means you can't do any kind of public ads for them, they can't be placed on the shelves and have to be sold "under the counter" (so to speak).

Rodolphe
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the update.

What kind of truck is leading the convoy (Scammel + Mathilda, Matador + 3.7" AA gun) on the first vid' ?

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/BeTruck.jpg

Oktoberfest
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
And what would be the effect of an MG FF round on a civilian ? Parts flying around ? A leg cut ? Face burned ? Can you also strafe animals, like cows and dogs ? Or to model the blitz more accurately, can you bomb women and children ? That would be sooo much more realistic IMO ! What a joy to see limbs flying appart !

Sorry, but I prefer some restrictions.

engarde
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
hmmm.

theres a lot of talk about all kinds of obscure detail being included in the sim.

i hope the devs focus on air to air intricacies, and -NOT- stupid shite such as walking back to base after bailing out, or populating any number of coastal defences.

Or, any such nonsense.

Please Oleg, give us a fighter sim that doesnt pander to minutia.

F19_Klunk
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
If SoW end up like a Doom 3 copy, I will pass this "sim" altogether.
I have absolutely no understanding for people "enjoying" simulation of how bodies gets ripped to pieces, displaying all kind of body fluids/parts.

I get sick to my stomach at the cinema's if I see a movie with all that gore and a dude in front of starts to laugh and say "wooo cool". I am not squeemish, but I think that is just sick.

2 cents

lbuchele
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Are you seeing HBO´s "The Pacific"?
That´s a good representation of real war.
I don´t think we really need that in a combat flying sim.
I like the simulated combat,like a chess game.
"REAL" war is no funny stuff at all.

Insuber
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I have absolutely no understanding for people "enjoying" simulation of how bodies gets ripped to pieces, displaying all kind of body fluids/parts.

I get sick to my stomach at the cinema's if I see a movie with all that gore and a dude in front of starts to laugh and say "wooo cool". I am not squeemish, but I think that is just sick.

2 cents

+1

flyingbullseye
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM

2 cents

+2. Highly doubt that we will see that from OM, rightly so.

Flyingbullseye

zauii
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM

2 cents

It's entertainment, it's no secret that blood, violence and gore sells and the market is obviously big enough for it.
A game like DOOM without gore , horror and physiological effects would be useless since it's the whole point of a horror,survival / brutal game.

How this type of game even can be mentioned in the same sentence as SoW is a mystery for me, why in the world would SOW turn out to be a gorefest?
But there are cases when gore adds to realism in a decent way , look at Red Orchestra or Brothers in Arms etc you see limbs torn apart since its a common thing of war..

whatnot
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I wonder where's all this discussion about gore and limbs flying around is coming from? Was that suggested?

Is it really that black and white? Either bulletproof doubledeckers and superman-civillians or eyes popping out and people getting decapitated?

Zappatime
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the update.

What kind of truck is leading the convoy (Scammel + Mathilda, Matador + 3.7" AA gun) on the first vid' ?

It may be some variant of a Morris C8, though the headlights look too high
http://www.imps.org.uk/membersvehicles/88.jpg

AdMan
04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I wonder where's all this discussion about gore and limbs flying around is coming from? Was that suggested?

Is it really that black and white? Either bulletproof doubledeckers and superman-civillians or eyes popping out and people getting decapitated?

It's already established there will be no blood, some aren't aware of that while others are just speculating on what the best way to handle civilians, pilots, and animals dying would/should be.

klem
04-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Quote:

I think we probably test Oleg's patience more than he tests ours.

Is that really true? As much as I admire Oleg, and I do, we are his prospective customers. We should not be afraid to ask him. We are not waiting for a free patch. We test his patience by asking one question again and again. He tests ours by not answering it but expects us to buy it.... eventually, if we haven't gone off and bought something else.

If he is afraid of competition, or fears for commercial secrecy, the competition have had more than enough time to get in ahead of him.

Can he really not even tell us what year it will be out?

klem

Novotny
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Bah. See below.

Novotny
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
He has already said he needs to get it out this year.

Try ringing up say, Ford, or Dell and making similar demands. 'We must know what you plan! We are not fools! etc etc'

Do you think they would say 'ok, here's exactly what we plan to bring to a competitive market in about 6 months time, hopefully'?

Actually, I'm going to stop writing this reply - I have better things to do with my time than argue with idiots.

In fact, the vast majority of the discussions on this forum are being had by idiots.

Idiots, generally, have more to say than anyone else.

I'm going back to occasionally observing and not contributing. Sorry to those reasonable posters whom I may have offended. You've more patience than me.

Insuber
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM

LOL! Sadly this is true in life as well ...

nearmiss
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
He has already said he needs to get it out this year.

Try ringing up say, Ford, or Dell and making similar demands. 'We must know what you plan! We are not fools! etc etc'

Do you think they would say 'ok, here's exactly what we plan to bring to a competitive market in about 6 months time, hopefully'?

Actually, I'm going to stop writing this reply - I have better things to do with my time than argue with idiots.

In fact, the vast majority of the discussions on this forum are being had by idiots.

I'm going back to occasionally observing and not contributing. Sorry to those reasonable posters whom I may have offended. You've more patience than me.

This is a public forums to provide community support for 1C company products, members do not all measure up to standards some of us might set.

There are a plenty of younger members who haven't lived long enough to provide us lustrous insights from their life experience.

Patience would better suit more experienced posters than disparaging remarks.

AndyJWest
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Can he really not even tell us what year it will be out?
He's said this year, hopefully.

Personally, I'd be more worried about software that is going to be released 'On August the 30th' than software that will be released when it is ready. Until it is almost finished, any release date is speculative, unless it is being driven by needs other than those of the developer - see the sorry Silent Hunter 5 saga for what this can do...

Jumo211
04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey GOA_Potenz ! I just found ya here at 1C Company forum :)

S! HolyGrail :grin:

csThor
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
In Il-2 this line doesn't work in the unmodified international version. The mere ability to enable such gore effects causes that "indexing" in Germany so BlueByte ordered Maddox Games to switch that line off in the international version and Ubisoft never changed that. And given that in my opinion that political correctness thing has grown a lot worse than ten years ago it's highly improbable that Oleg will do such a thing.

philip.ed
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey GOA_Potenz ! I just found ya here at 1C Company forum :)

S! HolyGrail :grin:

Hey Jumo211 ! I just found ya here at 1C Company Forum :)

S! philip.ed :grin:

Jumo211
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I like the column video a lot ! :cool:

philip.ed :grin:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/HolyGrail_photos/avatar27723_1.gif

S! HG

KG26_Alpha
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
In Il-2 this line doesn't work in the unmodified international version. The mere ability to enable such gore effects causes that "indexing" in Germany so BlueByte ordered Maddox Games to switch that line off in the international version and Ubisoft never changed that. And given that in my opinion that political correctness thing has grown a lot worse than ten years ago it's highly improbable that Oleg will do such a thing.

IIRC
It was because the rating was originally for 11+ years old.

Perhaps raising the rating will please the gore crowd.

fireflyerz
04-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Good greif HG whats taken you so long , right lets give these pudnockers a good pastin...:mrgreen:

bf-110
04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
That mean we cannot grind pilots ramming them with propellers in BoB...:(

philip.ed
04-29-2010, 07:40 AM
philip.ed :grin:
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac90/HolyGrail_photos/avatar27723_1.gif

S! HG

:mrgreen:

deadmeat313
04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
It may be some variant of a Morris C8, though the headlights look too high
http://www.imps.org.uk/membersvehicles/88.jpg

It is a Morris C8 Quad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_C8

T.

KG26_Alpha
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
If its supposed to be any type of Morris its modelled way to heavy around the wheels.

But the front looks in the same style and the canvas field awning on the side is a clue methinks :)

Here's a collection of Morris vehicles, an exceptional site with huge images.

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/c843773_1.html

Foo'bar
04-30-2010, 05:04 AM
When it doesn't look like that Morris then I would say it isn't one? ;)

MG knows very well how to model trucks.

KG26_Alpha
04-30-2010, 08:11 AM
And your rivets stick out too much :)

Seriously though I'd like to know what it is.

Foo'bar
04-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Seriously though I'd like to know what it is.

For me it also doesn't look like a Morris, at least like a Morris shown on photo.

Wich rivets on what model? ;)

KG26_Alpha
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Which rivets on what model? ;)

Was just kidding :cool:

But

.........Violet Budd has best rivets on a model :grin:

Rodolphe
05-01-2010, 06:59 AM

Well nobody can't tell the model of that leading truck ?

Oleg, Luthier or team mates. :shock:

Rodolphe
05-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Got It. :grin:

The struts and rolled canvas of the extention tent installed on both sides of that Guy Lizard ACV
are typical. (only 21 units built)

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/GotIt.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/GotIt3.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/GotIt2.jpg