PDA

View Full Version : There will never be a game like this again, masterful beyond words.

sp3000
04-23-2010, 06:07 AM
It always seems like whenever something amazing and unique comes along, 90 percent of people miss the point completely. I've seen complaints of the performance, the gameplay, how the game is slow. They're all valid. Yet, they are absolutely insignificant compared to what this game was made for. It's atmosphere and it's story.

I'll say again, several essays could be written on the symbolism and meaning in this game. Cryostasis demands your attention and your thought. Buying this game for this physx, graphics, or even gameplay is like buying a copy of Hamlet for the quality of the book cover.

Nothing in this game is random or placed in simply for cheap scary moments. Everything from the hooded figure, to minor details like the chess at the end, have meaning to them.

I think it reflects on the general immaturity of the gaming public that this game was criticized. Cryostasis is not a game with a story. It's a literary masterpiece that takes the form of a game.

persoiranian
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
exactly,one of my top favorites of all time..

RavenMaster
04-23-2010, 05:25 PM
It always seems like whenever something amazing and unique comes along, 90 percent of people miss the point completely. I've seen complaints of the performance, the gameplay, how the game is slow. They're all valid. Yet, they are absolutely insignificant compared to what this game was made for. It's atmosphere and it's story.

I'll say again, several essays could be written on the symbolism and meaning in this game. Cryostasis demands your attention and your thought. Buying this game for this physx, graphics, or even gameplay is like buying a copy of Hamlet for the quality of the book cover.

Nothing in this game is random or placed in simply for cheap scary moments. Everything from the hooded figure, to minor details like the chess at the end, have meaning to them.

I think it reflects on the general immaturity of the gaming public that this game was criticized. Cryostasis is not a game with a story. It's a literary masterpiece that takes the form of a game.

Undoubtedly. I loved the horror aspects and especially the storytelling method in this game. How things could be different if other other choices had been made - cause and effect.

But gameplay and programming do matter. Good graphics and physx all add to the immersiveness of the story. They make things look real, explosions and crumbling ice etc all add to the effect. But when the programming is so bad that the game stutters and lags massively in certain places immediately drags you out of that universe and you are reminded that you are playing an unfinished game.

The game's excellent story and atmosphere deserved much more from the programmers. Shame on 1C for not optimizing it :-|

ZIGS
04-25-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm still hoping for a sequel

RavenMaster
04-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Im still hoping for a working game :-P

But storywise, Cryostasis needs no sequel

Boyarpunk
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm still hoping for a sequel

Seconded ! :cool:

BAXTER STOCKMAN
04-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Seconded ! :cool:

I also hope if they made a sequel that they make a third person not FPS game. We dont need more fps.

RavenMaster
04-27-2010, 10:32 PM
I also hope if they made a sequel that they make a third person not FPS game. We dont need more fps.

Cryostasis was good as a tech demo it also had a great story. It failed as a game due to bad programming and zero optimization. Nuff said

sp3000
04-30-2010, 04:36 AM
This game doesn't need a sequel. What it needs are more games like it that are well optimized. With the lack of optimization, a GTX 200 series card is pretty much required to play at max.

I don't like to think of this as a game. It's more of a story that uses gaming as a medium. Cryostasis could easily have come from a work of literature. Honestly it makes all those other games that claim to be art like children's novels in comparison. How ironic that it's rated T when in fact it probably requires a more mature audience then any other game.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get in contact with the developers. The site seems to have a virus on it so I can not access it. I would like to ask them some questions about what they intended with many of the things.

Many of the things in the game I still do not understand, primarily the hooded figure that you see walking around. If anyone noticed he has three different textures on him throughout the game. A blood covered one, one that looks like the scales of a fish, and a world map. Also at the end there is a chess board that seems to have some meaning behind the placement of the pieces. King seems to be in check by knight if I remember.

Also if anyone has played through the Russian version do they have a different interpretation of the story.

Sneaksie
04-30-2010, 06:47 AM
I've played both and the story is the same. BTW, the story about Danko is one of short stories by Maxim Gorky (i didn't find English translation of this particular short story in the Net).

boredgunner
05-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree with RavenMaster and sp3000. A sequel isn't necessary. An optimization patch is. With my GTX 480 (863/1725/1050) and dedicated GTX 260 CORE 216 55nm SC for PhysX (626/1350/1053), I still get slightly under 30 FPS at some points. If an enemy steps on screen, I automatically get 30-40 FPS. I run the game maxed out with AF and AA.

One interesting note about performance - the tech demo, in which I average 65 FPS, uses my GTX 260 sometimes up to 50% or more. The actual game doesn't use my GTX 260 very much... it's max usage is under 30%.

RavenMaster
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree with RavenMaster and sp3000. A sequel isn't necessary. An optimization patch is. With my GTX 480 (863/1725/1050) and dedicated GTX 260 CORE 216 55nm SC for PhysX (626/1350/1053), I still get slightly under 30 FPS at some points. If an enemy steps on screen, I automatically get 30-40 FPS. I run the game maxed out with AF and AA.

One interesting note about performance - the tech demo, in which I average 65 FPS, uses my GTX 260 sometimes up to 50% or more. The actual game doesn't use my GTX 260 very much... it's max usage is under 30%.

I knew they messed up the programming in the full game! I always said i received better FPS in the tech demo than in the retail version. Im glad im not the only one claiming this.

CymTyr
06-28-2010, 02:56 AM
I haven't played very far into the game yet, but I can tell it's quite a gem, and it was a steal at the 3 bucks I paid for it on Steam.

coolestbaby
05-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Outstanding Story! Outstanding from any other fps horror games too!