PDA

View Full Version : FM in SOW?

noxnoctum
04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Just curious what has Oleg said about possibly updating the FM in SOW? I'm not a pilot (flown a cessna a few times but I'm hardly "experienced"), but I've heard from some that are that ROF's FM is a good bit better than IL-2. I can't comment myself like I said (and I couldn't care less about WW1 aerial combat TBH, not interesting to me), but, well... I always hope for the most realistic experience.

Avimimus
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I believe Oleg said that the basic technology is similar to what we have in Il-2, but that there will be more detail (more calculations). There will also be something of a more advanced atmospheric model (at least that was what had been planned a couple years ago).

I'm sure Oleg can tell you more.

K_Freddie
04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
ROF ?
Can they really claim their FM's are as accurate, considering that 1914-18 is a good few years prior to 1939-45 worth in documentation references?

Pie in the Sky I'd say, and more like 'marketing hogwash'.
:grin:

RAF74_Winger
04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, I'll give ROF this:

Having flown many aerobatic types of similar horsepower, size & weight, though not your actual SE5a or Camel, the aircraft in ROF behave as I expect them to whereas in IL-2 that isn't the case always.

For me the standout shortcoming in the IL-2 FM is the low-speed handling, particularly on take-off (it takes ages to lift the tail, for instance, also try running the engine up to full power whilst holding the brakes and putting in forward elevator - does the aircraft stand on its nose? No.) and at the top of vertical zooms, where one can stall or spin without putting in any pro-spin or pro-stall control input.

All IMO of course.

W.