PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2010-04-02 Video and Discussion Thread

Oleg Maddox
04-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi,

Early in-game video. DX9 render and basic untuned effects. Do not forget – WIP!
Tracers are also WIP :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2x27ahVz9o

Insuber
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Super! Bravo! Lighting effects, sea, clouds ... everything comes together really nicely !

Happy Easter,
Insuber

Feathered_IV
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Wasn't expecting an update. Happy easter! :)

I haven't seen that combination of Dornier nose and engines before. A sort of 17 and a bit. Can anyone ID it?

Edit: Do215?

leggit
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Stunning!:grin:

CRO_Adriatic
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks! It is nice to see some action in the air :)

Salute!

P.S. Woos aircraft glass mirroring a big issue in war? It looks like easy way to spot aircraft on long distance...

Bloblast
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Love it great graphics !

Siko
04-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh my god....it lives...and how !

That....is incredible sir, well done. As a very long term fan I must admit to having lost a lot of faith in SOW over the last year or two...but that is simply amazing and goes a LONG way towards restoring my trust that this is actually going to happen.

Please though.....HD video next time would be even better !

Tree_UK
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the update, lighting is good, but doesn't look a million miles away from Il2 IMHO although it is still WIP.

Baron
04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the update, lighting is good, but doesn't look a million miles away from Il2 IMHO although it is still WIP.

One image may not look far from IL2 (even though it does, by a fair bit) but the whole package is not millions of miles but lightyears ahead.

As it should be.

Even now, beeing WiP and all, i bet we can fill 1-2 pages with stuff SoW has that IL2 havent, and never will have ;)

Really nice work Oleg and team, thx.

Flyby
04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Ahhh... a sweet little video. It looked rather smooth too. That's DX9, so DX10 must be killer, and DX11 insane! :D (well, that's my take).
Oleg, a few more teasers like this please?
Flyby (over and) out

fireflyerz
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with Tree , we know you cant give too much away , the one thing I did find interesting was the prop animation , looks good from the side and the front but when its trasitioning from one to the other it looks a tad rough.

DJB
04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Looks very nice :grin:.
Thanks oleg and whole team ;-).

HarryKlein
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Awesome ! :D thanks :)

TheGrunch
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Looks pretty damn good to me for a DX9 video. I thought the prop animation looked fine, as well. :mrgreen:

Insuber
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
@Tree,

I disagree on that: for a WIP with "basic effects" and DX9, seen on YouTube @480 pixels ... I see already a great improvement on Il2. Lights & Shadows, bullet impacts, reflections, sea rendering, the details of the Spit windshield, the realism of the Dornier cockpit/crew and glasshouse ... Gorgeous!
Let's wait for a full HD video with full FX and latest DX :D, but I'm sure that it will be a blast!

Insuber

zakkandrachoff
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Wasn't expecting an update. Happy easter! :)

I haven't seen that combination of Dornier nose and engines before. A sort of 17 and a bit. Can anyone ID it?

Edit: Do215?

In the battle of Britain they change the radials for a coup of V12.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/zakkandrachoff/storm-of-war-2.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ag9mw8.jpg

I don't like so much the bullets. since far away, it see, all the bullets in the air are identical no matter the distance. Don't like that. I think the 7,7 is more a little stele of smoke and nothing more. Not a big laser like a cannon. Or i am wrong? correct me if i am

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/zakkandrachoff/storm-of-war.jpg

All other, are so amazing. Perfect to me.
like always, Nice Work Oleg, Team, and Olga !
;)

Omphalos
04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Most excellent graphics/effects, I like the tracers very much.

Movements of the airplane looked slightly stiff but understandable when you are probably using .trk or something.

Amazing lighting, smoke/flame at the end of the video looked great, I couldn't see any bullet holes but it looked like it was probably making some when the bomber got hit...

Framerate which is ooked flawlessly smooth! that is a biggie! good job Oleg/1c team!

Can't wait for this game...

furbs
04-02-2010, 01:33 PM
nice update and i know its WIP but arnt the gun flashes a bit large for 303 rounds?...they seem to reach the prop.

Dano
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Without wishing to criticise WIP and bring up such a minor point too are the camera's going to stay static as shown in the video and as they are in IL2 or are we going to get some buffeting in them at all?

Looks great :D

Thunderbolt56
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Guys aside from the fact this is already stated as WIP, don't forget that much of what SoW brings to the table is stuff you "can't" see. Granted a short video isn't designed to highlight those things you can't see, but consider the exponentially higher detail in the physics model and added detail to the damage model.

I'd like to see the tracers un-synchronized too (remember all that hubbub all those years ago about dispersion and synchronization?).

Otherwise, I really, really like what I see here. Thanks for the update. :)

p.s. PLEASE don't add buffeting to the camera views. I hate it in the DogFight series and can't see liking it any better in this sim. My .02c

TheGrunch
04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Movements of the airplane looked slightly stiff but understandable when you are probably using .trk or something.
I think that's because the Spitfire we see the most of is an AI aircraft, maybe?

philip.ed
04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Beautiful video Oleg! :D

But one thing: I know this is WIP, and so I hope the tracer is too. Because unlike how it is modelled in Il-2, the tracer for the .303's had intermittent smoke patterns (or it looked intermittent) but nonetheless the tracer the British used had smoke trails to it. :D

Awesome update.

Dano
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
p.s. PLEASE don't add buffeting to the camera views. I hate it in the DogFight series and can't see liking it any better in this sim. My .02c

I think it adds immersion myself, an option for either would be nice.

Eries
04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
More rubbish talk from the usual rubbish dump...........

Oleg ,
Thanks for video update. Really enjoyed the nose-on views of the Dornier....

IceFire
04-02-2010, 02:07 PM
For a work in progress this is spectacular. It's brilliant to start to see things come together. No doubt that is the case for the entire team to be able to get things up and running and experience things like that.

The tracers and the large muzzle flash effects definitely look like a work in progress but that is perfectly ok for this stage. Just seeing things in motion is great. Keep it coming!

Mysticpuma
04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Next, add some dirt to the plastic polished surfaces.

As an example of lighting, clouds and sea, very nice....could we see, in the next video, footage showing how much it is possible to change the aircraft skins with the new 4096x4096 templates?

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, MP

Zappatime
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
These weekly waits for very brief updates are torture :sad:

As great as it is to see an in game video, 25 seconds is waaaaay too short, youtube will do 10 minutes you know, and it is Easter ;)

Robert
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Nice work, as usual, and it's great to see your efforts coming together. I loved the lighting details in the video. I can't wait to see DX 10 or 11 clips.

Thanks again.

Erkki
04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow. Excellent work again, mr. Oleg!

...and whats WIP is WIP, right? ;)

fireflyerz
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Without wishing to criticise WIP and bring up such a minor point too are the camera's going to stay static as shown in the video and as they are in IL2 or are we going to get some buffeting in them at all?

Looks great :D

I very much hope we get the same or maybe an improved fmb camera set up as we have now in il2 , being able to place the cameras where you want them is a must for people wanting to make movies out of these sims please dont forget to include this valuable extra in Sow Oleg , as for the buffeting it would be a nice option , but only as an option.

Aviar
04-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Next, add some dirt to the plastic polished surfaces.

As an example of lighting, clouds and sea, very nice....could we see, in the next video, footage showing how much it is possible to change the aircraft skins with the new 4096x4096 templates?

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, MP

I believe Oleg stated that the skins will be 2048x2048.

Aviar

Flanker35M
04-02-2010, 03:01 PM
S!

Very nice video indeed!:grin:

Blackdog_kt
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Just brilliant seeing it all come together ;)

Flyby
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I looked at the video for several times now, and was particularly interested in the scene where the Spit is firing it's guns. They look great for a WIP! :D But by the time the release is out, I hope we get to see the smoke from the firing guns roll back over the wings. But hey, we'll all be flying in a locked 'pit so it might not matter that much. ;)
Flyby out

GBrutus
04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Very impressive for a WIP. I love the new prop too.

Tree_UK
04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
More rubbish talk from the usual rubbish dump...........

Oleg ,
Thanks for video update. Really enjoyed the nose-on views of the Dornier....

lol, what a lovely person you are!! :grin: Happy easter buddy !! :grin::grin:

choctaw111
04-02-2010, 03:53 PM
It is so great to see all of the hard work coming together like this.
Thanks again for another update.

rakinroll
04-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Finally an air battle video... Thanks Oleg, you rock.

Avimimus
04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the update. Very pretty and very, very promising.

Cheers!

Chivas
04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
This is a very good WIP and like Tree says its not a million miles from IL-2. Both are based on WW2 aircraft theaters, but that's about where the similarity ends. There is little doubt in my mind that the SOW series will be the next benchmark in Combat Flight Simulators.

Oleg Maddox
04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I believe Oleg stated that the skins will be 2048x2048.

Aviar

Yes. That is enough for the next couple of years if to speak about online gameplay and amount of aircraft in air.

One note for all: I have changed a bit the dev update text. Please pay attention.

I'm sorry, till mid of the next week I'm unable to spend my time for the answers.
Here in Russia we are preparing all-Russia national Il-2 cup... I'm totally busy.... I'm sorry that it isn't world cup.... But sure/hope in future we will see SoW world cup :)
Till next week.

SlipBall
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Looking great! thanks for the vid:grin:

Necrobaron
04-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Very tantalizing glimpse!
________
NEVADA DISPENSARIES (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

F19_Klunk
04-02-2010, 06:27 PM

u must be kidding? it's a HUGE difference.. I dont know what kind of IL2 u fly, but the one I am flying is far from this quality... lighting, smoothness, shadows.. the lot

proton45
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Wow, that looks really great...

I like the detail at distance and the smooth transition in as you get closer...much smoother then we are used to. Also the shadows look really good...reflections off the glass look real.

Just ONE QUESTION (if you get to it)... The AI pilots dont seem to be moving and looking around at the attacking aircraft. Will they be animated in the final release?

Thank You, and have a good Easter!!!

whatnot
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Stunning video, thanks a million for this easter egg!

And in the middle of all this WIP mayhem in every sentence I think the only part which needs work are the tracers and lack of bullet holes, for the rest I'd be quite happy with this quality for the final release.

And anyone who says this isn't a quantum leap from IL2 needs to have his medication checked.

virre89
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Simply amazing update, thank god Oleg, BUT where is the sound? :D:D

Romanator21
04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
The muzzle flash one the Spits were huge, but this is WIP, I know :-P

The propeller dynamics were great, and pretty smooth. It's also nice to see little puffs of dust, paint, and metal flakes coming off the Dornier's skin when hit by the .303s. :grin:

And let's talk about the opening shot! Wow!! The detail of humans is top notch, and from a good eye level perspective, giving a nice sense of scale. Evening lighting looks great as well.

This especially caught my eye:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/rboiko1/Untitled-1.jpg?t=1270235651

From here it looks like we are no longer seeing the old 2-D fire balls. And just look at how far the smoke stays suspended in the air! Also take note of the offset camera angle: In Il-2 the Bf-109 would take the center of the frame.

Great update! To me it looks like it's nearly ready.

proton45
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
u must be kidding? it's a HUGE difference.. I dont know what kind of IL2 u fly, but the one I am flying is far from this quality... lighting, smoothness, shadows.. the lot

Aww, give little Tree a break...he probably doesn't see any difference. This is just the reason why so many game makers "over saturate" the look of their new releases with the latest "gee wiz" DX enhancements. The game makers try and hit us over the head with an over the top panorama of dazzling effects...this tactic tends to impress the average game player.

Tree_UK
04-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Jeez, calm down girls, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I did say in my post that i recognise how good the lighting is, but the overaul feel for me is still Il2-ish, but like i said its still a WIP. No doubt when we see it in all its glory in directX 11 it will look stunning. Now put your hand bags down. :-P

baronWastelan
04-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm dying to know what res the sim was played in. Something less than 1600 x 1200?

ECV56_Lancelot
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, i agree with the opinion of the tracers, but Oleg specifically clarified that they are WiP. Besides that, i partially agree with Tree that it seems a little like IL-2, but only on the movement of the planes and i don't thinks its a bad thing, all the contrary.
Graphically, its hugely better that IL-2, and it does look very close to photorealistic to me. The scene of the Spitifre rolling upside down to jump over the Dorniers, and also the close up of the Dornier with the canopy reflection and the spitfire shooting behind are the part that impressed me the most. For me its like watching a movie, looks stunning.

Great work Oleg and team!

Insuber
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
The more I watch the more I like it ... Oleg was naughty and cut it to the bone ... split seconds of happiness ... the smoke and flames from the falling bomber look very realistic ... and the impacts of the bullets are in their exact landing spot, not like Il2 ...

Ins

imaca
04-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Translation into english:
Wow!
This looks amazing!

AdMan
04-02-2010, 09:31 PM
If IL-2 looked anything close to this I'd still be playing IL-2

It's starting to look like a game, like the title screen artwork too, hopefully that look will carry on to the UI

Richie
04-02-2010, 09:58 PM
The only thing I don't like about this movie is that 109 has to be dirtied up. It looks like it's just out of a Dinky Toy box. Other than that everything looks great. I'm sure the skinners will take care of the 109 :)

virre89
04-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Jeez, calm down girls, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I did say in my post that i recognise how good the lighting is, but the overaul feel for me is still Il2-ish, but like i said its still a WIP. No doubt when we see it in all its glory in directX 11 it will look stunning. Now put your hand bags down. :-P

Well it was a rather bold statement you did, no offense but there is a huge difference in lightning, models, terrain, effects etc.. if you can't see that then well sad enough.

Dx 9 , Dx10 , Dx11 won't make any wonders the game will look gorgeous in DX9 as well. What DX10 , DX11 does technically ain't something that will make an "ugly" game in dx9 , "beautiful/stunning" in Dx10,11.

Richie
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I wish I knew what cards they were using? i7 975 and Radeon 5970s?

major_setback
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
The only thing I don't like about this movie is that 109 has to be dirtied up. It looks like it's just out of a Dinky Toy box. Other than that everything looks great. I'm sure the skinners will take care of the 109 :)

I think it is not just lack of dirt that gives that impression.

The shine on the plane is very even. In real life the paint varies in shininess slightly, and there are small irregularities in the smoothness of the wing metal. Not that there is anything wrong with shine, it is seen a lot on old photos from the period, but it doesn't usually look that even, and it wouldn't show on panel lines etc. that are indented.

We have yet to see a WiP aircraft with part-shiny skin where panel lines and hatch edges don't shine, or where these edges deflect the light in some way. It would be nice if this was possible..but not essential of course.

I am hoping that the shine will be either linked to a separate bump map, or that it can be varied in some way.
I think there will be an editable shine bump map layer for the skins (just guessing though), though it might be disabled in the initial release if they use too many resources.

Oleg? Please comment!

As long as the shine is kept to a minimum it will look good anyway, and especially so if the skins are 'dirty'.

And as far as skins go: I'm certain there will be many user made ones available within the first couple of months of release, and I'm also sure that people will do a nice job of making used and dirty looking skins:-).

Uneven shine:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Spitfire_IIA_P7666.jpg

And here:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/12/article-1055413-02A26F9000000578-200_468x341_popup.jpg

_

Zorin
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
major, that is controlled via a specular map and I really do hope they will be available as part of the skinning abilities in SoW.

kestrel79
04-02-2010, 11:25 PM
If IL-2 looked anything close to this I'd still be playing IL-2

It's starting to look like a game, like the title screen artwork too, hopefully that look will carry on to the UI

I know I don't post here much but I am an avid viewer of anything Storm of War. I hope this really isn't the final logo for the game and box.

As a graphic designer, I like the simple approach but it could use a little more artistic touch to truely be awesome. The "of" appears a little to scrunched and condensed, and I don't like the white stroke around the red text.

I'd like to see something a little more designed like art from the 1930s and 40s. Something thats dirty, gritty, yet clean and professional.

Oleg I'd be more than happy to do some FREE mockups for you for any of the art for the game. Whether it be the UI, splash screens, or box art. I'm sure your publisher will take care of this but I figured I'd offer my services.

m_berndt79@yahoo.com

Bearcat
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice.. I am so looking forward to this sim... visually to me at least WoP is a taste of the kind of stuff that future sims will have.. and SoW looks like it will have all that and then some..

Avimimus
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks! It is nice to see some action in the air :)

Salute!

P.S. Woos aircraft glass mirroring a big issue in war? It looks like easy way to spot aircraft on long distance...

Yup. That was one of the problems with the German faceted "greenhouse" cockpits. Sometimes enough light would get into the cockpit that a panel would reflect the light back towards the crew. Often FW-189 crews had trouble seeing what they were supposed to be spying on.

major_setback
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM

The shine on the plane is very even. In real life the paint varies in shininess slightly, and there are small irregularities in the smoothness of the wing metal. Not that there is anything wrong with shine, it is seen a lot on old photos from the period, but it doesn't usually look that even, and it wouldn't show on panel lines etc. that are indented.

We have yet to see a WiP aircraft with part-shiny skin where panel lines and hatch edges don't shine, or where these edges deflect the light in some way. It would be nice if this was possible..but not essential of course.

I am hoping that the shine will be either linked to a separate bump map, or that it can be varied in some way.
I think there will be an editable shine bump map layer for the skins (just guessing though), though it might be disabled in the initial release if they use too many resources.

Oleg? Please comment!

As long as the shine is kept to a minimum it will look good anyway, and especially so if the skins are 'dirty'.

And as far as skins go: I'm certain there will be many user made ones available within the first couple of months of release, and I'm also sure that people will do a nice job of making used and dirty looking skins:-).

_

Edit: This earlier WiP looks a lot better, panels/hatches seem to change the way light reflects. I would like to know exactly what we are seeing here, if it some sort of map or not that is changing the reflections/shine. Oleg?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/restranger/grab0168-1.jpg

Re: major, that is controlled via a specular map and I really do hope they will be available as part of the skinning abilities in SoW.

Thanks for the information!:-)

Tempest123
04-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Excellent, some aspects look photorealistic, glad to see a video!

Richie
04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
In one shot you can see in shadow the canopy framing on the engine cowling of the Do-17. Now that's got to be cool.

AdMan
04-03-2010, 03:15 AM
I'd like to see something a little more designed like art from the 1930s and 40s. Something thats dirty, gritty, yet clean and professional.

the art actually struck me as very reminiscent of the airbrush work of that era, such as the propaganda posters and pinup girls.

I wouldn't read to much into the text (pun intended), it was probably just added in for the purpose of this video as it says "bomber attack", but I hope the interface is simple, clean, and intuitive as IL-2's wasn't very much.

Blackdog_kt
04-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Viewing it again and browsing the comments here, i think it will be a lot better than what it looks like in the video.

First of all, the smoothness factor is top notch and fluidity can make hi-res graphics appear very impressive, even if they are not technically so. Since this is WIP and we're expecting improvements, i guess it will be even better. Not to mention that high-res fluid motion on a 22" or bigger will look so much better, even if the settings used are the exact same as those used in this video.

The reason it might seem a bit underwhelming to some is that this is low-res youtube (no 720p/1080p option in the video), reflective layers and various effects might probably not be finalised, plus we don't know what was the original resolution used during gameplay, AA/AF settings, if a low-spec PC was used that forced lower detail settings and so on.

Long story short, if this was taken from a dual core or old quad with nVidia 8800 or comparable Ati generation cards i will be very impressed, as it would indicate an ability to scale perfectly and it's not shabby at all. Roll on the next updates with high-res youtube videos running on high end PCs, then we will be able to really decide ;)

AKA_Tenn
04-03-2010, 04:47 AM
ya we have no real idea what this video is supposed to depict, or if it was just a quick sketch/scribble just keep our mouths watering (so to speak)... you don't know if anything here will even be in the final version, the best you can do is say probables or.. in this case its quite obvious (even says so in the description) that the gfx are very low quality so all one can really say about this movie is "tks for the first video with some combat type stuff and for showing some more lighting effects"

remember all the juicy bits you won't see till right before the game is released, cause their super top secret... don't want someone else stealing ideas and making them "been there, done that" type stuff, when ur trying to release the most innovative game ever :P

proton45
04-03-2010, 05:47 AM

Thats all I'm saying... ;)

imaca
04-03-2010, 05:57 AM

The shine on the plane is very even. In real life the paint varies in shininess slightly, and there are small irregularities in the smoothness of the wing metal.

_
you mean like this:
http://download.softclub.ru/pub/il2pict/grab0168.jpg

K-Style
04-03-2010, 07:47 AM
The Dornier looks fantastic. I'm happy with everything I see in this video (apart from [not final] tracers of course). The planes look far better than WOP and without those crappy filters. The thing I do like about WOP is the canopy scratch marks etc and of course the terrain. I know this Sim will feel much better than WOP too and have a flyby camera option in the initial release.

Crunchieone
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
The screenshot above,shows bump,spec and bloom,add that to the video shown and you've got another masterpiece,nuff said.

=815=TooCooL
04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Oh I'm really dying to see final version.
Great job guys!

F19_Klunk
04-03-2010, 09:04 AM

hehe if u are referring to quick replies, on the edge reactions.... girls and old ladies with bags is maybe not the best analogy.... I think the word you are looking for are football fans ;)

Freycinet
04-03-2010, 09:51 AM
A thing we really need for movie-making is Z-axis rotation for the camera.

In all the flight sims out so far, you can never get the horizon to be anything but straight and level. No good for movies that!

We need Z-axis rotation for dynamic shots, tilted horizons, dramatic screenies and movies. Please look into it, it should not be difficult at all to program.

DK-nme
04-03-2010, 12:09 PM
A thing we really need y-axis rotation for dynamic shots, tilted horizons, dramatic screenies and movies. Please look into it, it should not be difficult at all to program.

I believe U mean a Z-axis rotation, other than that, yes, u're completely right in ur request...
;):grin:

DK-nme

HFC_Dolphin
04-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Very nice video!
It's really much better than IL-2, no doubt about this.

I very much liked the visibility and then the clouds and the colours (especially the sea).
I'd prefer better looking skins, but actually that's something that we should see after the game release - too early to worry about this, especially when knowing that we already get twice the quality of IL-2 ;-)
Tracers, ok not good, but it's WIP as very wise Oleg came to explain so we don't have any misjudgement.

All in all, and knowing that we're still seeing WIP and DX9, I'm sure that we're about to see a hell of a game :D

PS. Oleg, is it yet too early to talk about system specs?

_YoYo_
04-03-2010, 12:26 PM
What happen with this shots (like in Star wars), I see laser shots from Spitfires. Please to improve this in the final game :)

major_setback
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
What happen with this shots (like in Star wars), I see laser shots from Spitfires. Please to improve this in the final game :)

Oleg explained:

Hi,

Tracers are also WIP :)

DuxCorvan
04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Nice movie! As an advice, to improve realism, I'd desaturate the overall colors more, to make it look more like daylight. Right now, so brilliant and nitid, it feels a little like artificial light and makes the whole look a bit more "plastic".

T}{OR
04-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Awesome video, and awesome propeller animations too btw. Can't wait to see the final thing. :cool:

Wehrwulf
04-03-2010, 02:45 PM
For being early stages, that looked very good! I wonder what the destruction effects will be like.

SUP_Trok
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
nice video! I can't wait SOW BOB... :-D I hope wil be released soon.

virre89
04-03-2010, 04:00 PM
2010 is a must <3 , have faith :)

RCAF_FB_Orville
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Its looking good from where I am standing!!! :)

Thanks for the update Oleg and Co, very impressive indeed. Keep up the Good work chaps!! :)

Feuerfalke
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Very nice video with a lot of nice details.

Yes, it's still WIP, but looking at the screenshots from just 3-4 months ago, it's a real jawdropped what you accomplished in the short time. And let's not forget: This is just the eyecandy! Can't wait to see what's under the hood of SOW. :cool:

Abbeville-Boy
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Very nice video with a lot of nice details.

I cant wait to see what's under the hood of SOW. :cool:

i can't wait to click my pit :)

good update team sow!

Avimimus
04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Nice movie! As an advice, to improve realism, I'd desaturate the overall colors more, to make it look more like daylight. Right now, so brilliant and nitid, it feels a little like artificial light and makes the whole look a bit more "plastic".

I'd personally like a "saturation" slider in the options menu. - Yes, I know that England is a wet,verdant and green place. However, as a Canadian who lives inland I can't feel immersed with realistic colours - Everything needs to be dull and dreary.

johnnypfft
04-04-2010, 05:35 AM
I made a slomo version of that "Battle of Britain - Bomber Attack" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQlqovcovU0 ;)
And anotherone with development screenshots (slideshow) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILpnzQnZnY

mark@1C
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Shows great promise, but still a long way to go to give an revolutionary impression, for it looks similar to BoP and may have just reached 60 per cent of my own expectations(perhaps, a little bit high...) if simply viewed from the DEMO(WIP) itself.
Some more words to dear BOSS about DX11,
Although sea(ie North Atlantic Ocean) is not a keynote to such a flight simulation, I hope the coming BoB can support the new DX11 Tessellation technology which gives me a great impression of the really beautiful water rendering by the late Nvidia DEMO(GF100)

Regards.

AdMan
04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Well at least the second vid didn't have that damn Lux Aeterna song

robtek
04-04-2010, 01:52 PM
It ia really astounding to see that many negative feedback to a WIP.
It is even compared to outdated technology.
Instead of seeing the improvements already reached.
Some people just have to reduce everything in order to elevate themselves.
Wake up, you only show that you need elevation.

mark@1C
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Just some negative Pre-release feedback, I believe it is useful and necessary for BOSS to do his judgement, and a DEMO of WIP need negative more than positive(that's why every-friday thread exists). Let us leave the positive feedback to the released BoB/SoW.

robtek
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I believe it works just the other way!!!
Now we can enjoy everything new and better.
At the release we can enjoy everything that has been kept secret.
Then, when we are enjoying the final Game, we can search for, maybe, needed improvements.

Insuber
04-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Alright mate, but we have to say also what we like ... and a negative critique - or a positive one - must specify WHAT is missing or improvable ... otherwise it's too easy to say generically "you are far away" ... "60%" ... "my expectations are higher" ... but 60% OF WHAT ??? :)

Just some negative Pre-release feedback, I believe it is useful and necessary for BOSS to do his judgement, and a DEMO of WIP need negative more than positive (that's why every-friday thread exists). Let us leave the positive feedback to the released BoB/SoW.

Freycinet
04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I´ll say what noone else bothered to say. thanks for the vid johhny, very nice to see it in slowmo!

Also, I think it is really funny that so many people think that what we see in the updates are what they were "just working on this last week". Sorry guys, but what we are shown in the updates is often really old work on the sim... you can conclude NOTHING about the progress of the sim or the pace of progress from these updates...

fireflyerz
04-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Just some negative Pre-release feedback, I believe it is useful and necessary for BOSS to do his judgement, and a DEMO of WIP need negative more than positive(that's why every-friday thread exists). Let us leave the positive feedback to the released BoB/SoW.
+1
At last a person with a brain and not a brown nose.

robtek
04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
+1

I think that to wait for a finished product before looking for faults is mature.
You, as proved by this really "useful" comment, aren't.

Flanker35M
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
S!

Negative critics are needed to get progress. But it has to be well thought out, not just "OMG this suxxors" etc.

fireflyerz
04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I think that to wait for a finished product before looking for faults is mature.
You, as proved by this really "useful" comment, aren't.

OMG , I hope you dont build the aircraft I fly in with that kind of forward thinking.

KG26_Alpha
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Oleg Maddox

Hi,

Tracers are also WIP

In this thread the first post from Oleg, you should adjust comments to suit his statement regarding what you are seeing.

Chivas
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Constructive criticism is a very good thing, but I see nothing in that video that requires negative feedback, that the developer isn't already well aware of. I'm not sure that negative reinforcement is a good thing, but that's just me. ;)

robtek
04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
OMG , I hope you dont build the aircraft I fly in with that kind of forward thinking.

"Yes, just what the pro's need, a bunch of f*****g Amateurs giving advice."

That was my first idea, but then: I just find it disturbing that so many people say, in different words, that OM doesn't know what he is doing.

proton45
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
+1

I say what I think...and I dont worry about weather I'm a "brown nose" or not.

Lesser minds are hung up on weather they are cool or not...

Most of these so called "cool non-brownnose" comments are pointless observations... How many of the comments are about tracers? Or about the "shinny unblemished skins"?

Pointless observations...
Sooo, what is left? A bunch of people who are telling Oleg that they are not "brown nose fans"? Pointless...

p.s. I'll stop right here cuz I already know that this is a bit harsh...

That was my first idea, but then: I just find it disturbing that so many people say, in different words, that OM doesn't know what he is doing.

+1

SlipBall
04-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Criticism at this point in the development should concern missing or wrong object design, map layout faults, etc. not appearance of a skin because of their WIP status at this time :grin:

AndyJWest
04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
+1 to SlipBall.

Also, I think people should take note of the fact they are comparing a lo-res YouTube video with their IL-2 install before commenting on how it 'doesn't look any better'. I'd like to know how they can really tell?

And how many times do people have to be told what 'Work in Progress' means?

leggit
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
all criticism; provided it's constructive, is good. fresh eyes sometimes see things more clearly.;)

Skarphol
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
If the Dorniers in the video had looked like this:

instead of this:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/Mysticpuma/010-hitsonenemyaircraft.jpg

Then this video would have been sooo much more jawdropping!

I'm pretty sure the dornier actually looks like that allready, but for some reason Oleg choose to show us something quite less impressing. He is probably building up expectations step by step.

Skarphol

PS! I borrowed the Dornier from Mysticpumas thread, I hope he will forgive me!

fireflyerz
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM

Temper , temper.

virre89
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM

instead of this:

I'm pretty sure the dornier actually looks like that allready, but for some reason Oleg choose to show us something quite less impressing. He is probably building up expectations step by step.

Skarphol

The look of the aircraft in the video was way more jawdropping than that screenshot. If it's historically accurate i can't comment on since i've no in depth knowledge about that plane.

But people need to stop the nitpicking sometimes seriously..

TinyTim
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM

pic of 110

instead of this:

pic of 215

Firstly, the first picture is a screenshot, the second is a capture from a video.
Secondly, on the first picture the sunlight is reflected from the water and from the plane to the camera, so you get the shine. On the second picture the sun is behind the camera, so you can't get a reflection apart from some minor surfaces that happen to be at the right angle.

Anyway, the video is amazing. Dynamic lightning, just wow. Canopy framing casts shadows... incredible.

AndyJWest
04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
The still picture of the Bf 110 is 1288 pixels wide. The max resolution of the YouTube video is 480 pixels wide. Guess which one is going to look better, even ignoring the fact that the compression algorithm used to reduce video to a reasonable size is going to result in further loss of detail?

JG4_Helofly
04-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Very nice video! Looks almost photo realistic to me.

Unfortunately, people begin already to fight about minor details.
What will it be like, when the game comes out and FM discussions start to pop up?
The forum will be a battlefield...

proton45
04-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Hey, what do you guys think? Is their a missing texture here? It kind of looks like the back of the engine is missing...

K-Style
04-05-2010, 12:01 AM

instead of this:

Skarphol

The Dornier looks more like a photo than the ME110 image.

Modding_Monkey
04-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey, what do you guys think? Is their a missing texture here? It kind of looks like the back of the engine is missing...

This is know as a SHADOW.
When the sun's rays are blocked they are created.

AndyJWest
04-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Unfortunately, people begin already to fight about minor details.
What will it be like, when the game comes out and FM discussions start to pop up?
The forum will be a battlefield...

A lot of the 'fighting' seems to be over imaginary details, rather than anything Oleg has actually shown us. I think there are enough knowledgeable people in the IL-2 community to have a rational discusion about FMs etc, but this will to some extent depend on forum moderators - not that I'm any way criticising the moderation here - and also on a bit of goodwill from everyone. I suspect most of us will be too blown away by everything for the first month or two to get into major rows over the flight model details.

major_setback
04-05-2010, 12:59 AM

It's shadow on the rear of the engine nacelle. Here is what the rear of the engine nacelle looks like:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/235753259CdFnfD_fs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/achtungindianer/Photo%20Files/German%20Aircraft/Do%20215/USSR/Do215004.jpg

There are some really excellent large photos of the aircraft here (SaQSoN/Oleg already have these BTW):

http://spasticforplastic.1hwy.com/TRANSIENTS/Do%20215.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/achtungindianer/Photo%20Files/German%20Aircraft/Do%20215/USSR/Do215005.jpg

It's a beautiful aircraft.

Richie
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm sure we will see more and more as time goes by. More impressive things. I'd like to see the 109 cockpit, judging from the interview that check 6 did I think it's done.

proton45
04-05-2010, 01:36 AM
This is know as a SHADOW.
When the sun's rays are blocked they are created.

LOL...sarcasm, now thats clever.

Ya, I thought of the shadow thing...it just looks odd, being the same hue as the sky behind it. That and the shadow dosn't move as the aeroplane tilts. I'm sure it probably is just a shadow...but its a different shade then the shadow on the fuselage.

AdMan
04-05-2010, 02:02 AM

instead of this:

Skarphol

I think one is a DX10 or 11 render vs the DX9, I believe that is the main difference between the two

on another note:

The people who are complaining about nitpicking, it's even more annoying an pointless than the nitpicking itself, at least people nitpicking are keeping it about the game screenshots and I actually think once in a while our nitpicking does do some good for Oleg and the team. Complaining about other posters just turns the thread into a flame war. We have been anticipating this game for years, so every morsel we see is going to be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb, that's just the way it is and is going to be, deal with it.

Abbeville-Boy
04-05-2010, 05:29 AM
on another note:

The people who are complaining about nitpicking, it's even more annoying an pointless than the nitpicking itself, at least people nitpicking are keeping it about the game screenshots and I actually think once in a while our nitpicking does do some good for Oleg and the team. Complaining about other posters just turns the thread into a flame war. We have been anticipating this game for years, so every morsel we see is going to be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb, that's just the way it is and is going to be, deal with it.

:rolleyes:
Your post is a complaint

AndyJWest
04-05-2010, 06:06 AM
This has got to be one of the most pointless threads in recent months in this forum. Or more accurately, one of the most pointless 'dragging out of an existing topic just so we can boost our egos' continuation of a thread. Does anybody think that their personal opinion of how SoW:BoB isn't as good as they wanted it to be, and/or can't possibly be as good as everyone expect it to be, is of any real relevance?

I used to look in on this forum occasionally, while real SoW news was non-existent, but lately, with Oleg posting regularly, and TD also giving updates on IL-2 patches, the forum has had a real revival. Unfortunately, some posters seem to think their 'guesswork', and 'knowledge as old hands' is more significant that actual information. It isn't. Neither are your ego-jousts. Get a life...

engarde
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I often wonder when i see certain posts, about the troll element.

I attribute much of the stupidly worded posts, usually about some ridiculously obscure factor of the provided material, to people desperate for a reaction.

or, dedicated anti everything posters?

the videos are a work in progress, which means to me it will be very different once everythings been optimised.

so i take whats posted as an early indicator, rather than solid production values that will NEVER BE IMPROVED !

yet so many stupid stupid STUPID detail obsessed posts.

you fuggen idiots, there's not even a release date yet so many stupid stupid STUPID posters seem to think its worth trying to be intellectual about details.

god its like watching poker with blank cards, and idiots arguing over the result of each hand.

Richie
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Example...The trees last update :)

Necrobaron
04-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Criticism at this point in the development should concern missing or wrong object design, map layout faults, etc. not appearance of a skin because of their WIP status at this time :grin:

...and we have a winner!
________
Free stream tube (http://www.fucktube.com/)

Bobb4
04-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Did any else notice the dead-stick spitfire right at the end of the video?

luthier
04-06-2010, 08:43 AM

instead of this:

It's just a matter of angle and also some video compression. Here's the same shot from the same track taken from a different angle.

You obviously will only see shiny rivets and reflection off of raised surfaces when looking at an aircraft from a certain angle.

If I changed the time of day in the track then it'd look even closer to the Bf-110 shot.

This is all basic DX9.

Skarphol
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Luthier!

You are of course right. My point was that people are complaining about the video, and I was trying to show that the level of detail is much higher than what is shown in the video, as with the Bf-110-picture wich I find absolutely fantastic. If the Dorniers had been shown with the same level of details, I guess much of this critizism had not been posted.
After reading the replies to my post I realise that a lot of people didn't understand my intention, so I guess I have to work on my english.

By the way; the new picture of the Dornier looks stunning too! Never noticed the variant with V-engines before.

Skarphol

Flanker35M
04-06-2010, 09:41 AM
S!

SoW looks good even in DX9 and as WIP :D Can't wait to see it in full DX11 glory!

Bobb4
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
It's just a matter of angle and also some video compression. Here's the same shot from the same track taken from a different angle.

You obviously will only see shiny rivets and reflection off of raised surfaces when looking at an aircraft from a certain angle.

If I changed the time of day in the track then it'd look even closer to the Bf-110 shot.

This is all basic DX9.

Awesome pic, quick questions are those individual puffs of smoke at points of bullet impact? And the crews, is it me or is this bomber not returing fire (no gun tracking either)
Will crew members slump over when killed?

Snuff_Pidgeon
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
MMMMM V-Engines gorgeous Dohhh!

Skarphol
04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I just noticed in the new picture of the Dornier you can see the bullet holes from the .303s! That was totally lost in the original low-res video!

Skarphol

zapatista
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Oleg,

thx for the update, the in-game video is looking very good already in beta form

Very nice video!
It's really much better than IL-2, no doubt about this.

I very much liked the visibility and then the clouds and the colours (especially the sea).
+1 on the distant object visibility improvement !!

this is one of the main problems in il2 currently and needs to be solved

Dano
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I'd really like to see some big formations this friday ;)

drafting
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM

This is all basic DX9.

Thanks for the bigger pic, Luthier! Great detail! :grin:

Sooooo.... as long as you're uploading hi-rez pics, it might help if you uploaded an HD version of the video too to stave off any other problems that people are having. :cool:

DuxCorvan
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Oh no, I just noticed it. The daytime giant muzzle flashes strike back. Weren't we done with the flamethrowers in Il-2 yet? Why are they back again? They are awful.

For the rest, as a said, it's quite OK, going on nicely; still WIP, I know.

Oleg Maddox
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Awesome pic, quick questions
1. are those individual puffs of smoke at points of bullet impact?
2. And the crews, is it me or is this bomber not returing fire (no gun tracking either)
3. Will crew members slump over when killed?

1. Yesm but should looks later a bit other way.
2. Not working in this aircraft yet. Under tunes.
3. Sould be by different way in different aircraft.

philip.ed
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Oleg, will we be allowed to have different types of ammo, eg the usual .303 rounds for the spits and hurris, but also have the option to have de-wilde ammuniton in some guns, and incendiary tracer in others? Because pilots were allowed to customize the load-out in their guns, and it'd be a great feature for SoW!

Oleg Maddox
04-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Oleg, will we be allowed to have different types of ammo, eg the usual .303 rounds for the spits and hurris, but also have the option to have de-wilde ammuniton in some guns, and incendiary tracer in others? Because pilots were allowed to customize the load-out in their guns, and it'd be a great feature for SoW!

Yes. Not totally as you wish, but you may change from some various, that defined historically in orders to pilots + some additional variants.
Probably by this way.

TheGrunch
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Oleg. Is there any possibility that you could allow head movement to be controlled by a joystick axis so that those who use Cachya or Freetrack or FaceAPI could use 6DOF head tracking without using the NaturalPoint interface?

Oleg Maddox
04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi Oleg. Is there any possibility that you could allow head movement to be controlled by a joystick axis so that those who use Cachya or Freetrack or FaceAPI could use 6DOF head tracking without using the NaturalPoint interface?

Can't answer this

KOM.Nausicaa
04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Hello Oleg,

thanks for the kind words about my artwork in the other thread - and nice you showed it to your wife. I promise I will come back to your photo forum and show new things soon.

A question about the video update: Are the cloud shapes final ? I wonder how the cloud shapes get affected by your new weather simulation system. That should create some interesting and varying forms.

Thanks for your amazing work -

Yours

N.

philip.ed
04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes. Not totally as you wish, but you may change from some various, that defined historically in orders to pilots + some additional variants.
Probably by this way.

Sounds great. Will we be able to change the load-out in each gun or just as a set? For example, could I just have tracer rounds in one gun?

Freycinet
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm afraid so much chaff and so little substance makes this thread totally useless for the developers as a feedback channel. Nobody would want to read through 15 pages of this...

Question: will it be possible to set simultaneous clouds at different levels? And clouds of different types? - I just flew yesterday at a flight level between a low broken cumulus and a higher altostratus. Would be AMAZING to have this, and of course essential for realistic looking cloudscapes.

Ernst
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Please Oleg, i beg you, dont allow us to become NaturalPoint's hostages.

jippy13
04-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Hello Oleg,
Will it be possible to pre order Bob ?
If yes, I want to be the first on the list with your dedication :)
A date for the preorder ?

Dano
04-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello Oleg,
Will it be possible to pre order Bob ?
If yes, I want to be the first on the list with your dedication :)
A date for the preorder ?

You can pre-order at various etailers and have been able to for nearly four years now...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.clarke17/bobpre.JPG

Necrobaron
04-07-2010, 03:53 AM
I just noticed in the new picture of the Dornier you can see the bullet holes from the .303s! That was totally lost in the original low-res video!

Skarphol

Good eye! I'm thinking this is the first time we've seen this.

With all the nitpicking going on, I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that there is no shrapnel from the hits the Dornier is taking. I'm sure this this will be seen at a later date/build.
________
YAMAHA ROYAL STAR TOUR DELUXE (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Royal_Star_Tour_Deluxe)

robtek
04-07-2010, 05:02 AM
Where should the "shrapnel" come from?
From those itsy bitsy .303 holes?
There must be many more hits before parts are torn away.

LukeFF
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Please Oleg, i beg you, dont allow us to become NaturalPoint's hostages.

The heck are you talking about?

Insuber
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
The heck are you talking about?

Simple: Natural Point imposes an exclusivity clause before allowing for the use of their drivers.

robtek
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
says who?
afaik thats only hearsay!

Necrobaron
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Where should the "shrapnel" come from?
From those itsy bitsy .303 holes?
There must be many more hits before parts are torn away.

Pepper a plane in IL-2, even with a rifle caliber MG, and you'll get a nice shower of metal. I don't know if that's correct or not, but it definately is noticeable here in its absence compared to IL-2...
________
Vermont medical marijuana dispensary (http://vermont.dispensaries.org/)

robtek
04-07-2010, 07:01 PM
As you said, Necrobaron, "pepper a plane" thats many hits :-D
I also don't know how it looks in reality, but the few, clean holes one sees in that pic will get you a few paintflakes at most.

kendo65
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that there is no shrapnel from the hits the Dornier is taking. I'm sure this this will be seen at a later date/build.

Actually, there is. Probably not noticeable in the video embedded in the page, but I downloaded it to my PC and used VLC Media Player to play it back.

This allows you to enlarge the video picture considerably and you can clearly see small pieces of debris being shed by the Dornier. They are MUCH smaller than in il2, but this is as should be with small calibre .303 rounds.

So, all present and correct.

I'll see if I can get a screen print of it, but may not come across too well.

kendo65
04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Hope this comes out ok.

I used Photoshop's Unsharp Mask filter to make things a little more clear as the quality is poor when you blow the video up in size, but rest assured nothing added or otherwise manipulated in this - the debris is clearly visible beneath the Dornier.

As robtek said they are not much more than "paintflakes" or "metal-flakes", but they are there!

SlipBall
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Well it seems to me that the sim is in beta testing...what say you Oleg:grin:

p.s. I'm available

Tbag
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
A bit OT but I think these pictures from A2A simulations B17G are simply stunning and really set the bar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/b1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/b8.jpg

Qpassa
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Well it seems to me that the sim is in beta testing...what say you Oleg:grin:

p.s. I'm available

Hehe ,me too :grin:

Necrobaron
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Hope this comes out ok.

I used Photoshop's Unsharp Mask filter to make things a little more clear as the quality is poor when you blow the video up in size, but rest assured nothing added or otherwise manipulated in this - the debris is clearly visible beneath the Dornier.

As robtek said they are not much more than "paintflakes" or "metal-flakes", but they are there!

That's it! I didn't see it in the lower res video. Thanks for posting this!
________
Yamaha libero (g5) specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Libero_(G5))

Foo'bar
04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
A bit OT but I think these pictures from A2A simulations B17G are simply stunning and really set the bar:

I don't see any drop shadow though there should be one...

major_setback
04-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't see any drop shadow though there should be one...

I'm not a big fan of this aircraft, but there are drop shadows in these screenshots:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21385

It would be interesting to know though if it is 1c's plan than companies like A2A will be able to release single aircraft add-ons for SoW, in the same way they do now for FSX. Oleg?

I know that the sim won't support hundreds of aircraft like this flying around, but most of those flying them at the moment in FSX are quite happy to buy them and fly them on their own.

Is this a market that 1c is aiming at?

I would personally be much more interested in buying third party aircraft to fly in SoW than in FSX. I like the highly detailed, high poly-count aircraft. I know they would look a lot better in SoW with the better lighting etc. And I presume they will fly very well too.

I am also sure that third party companies would be very interested in this new market.

Antoninus
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
It would be interesting to know though if it is 1c's plan than companies like A2A will be able to release single aircraft add-ons for SoW, in the same way they do now for FSX. Oleg?

This was already confirmed, for example in the last simhq interview, quoted below. I really hope A2A will eventually switch to SOW. There should be a bigger market for WW2 planes than in the FSX community, which will only become smaller in the next years.

http://simhq.com/_air13/air_439b.html

Oleg:
Speaking about things I want for myself, having seen the enormous third-party industry built around MSFS, we had always planned to bite into that pie. Or more accurately, to give these third-parties something more exciting to do. With IL-2 we had an engine not designed for external development, especially with its crucial online component, so we simply could do nothing to open it up to external teams. It was impossible without risking our cheater-free online gameplay.

Today, we found the way to have our cake and eat it too. As initially designed however, our goal wasn’t as much to steal some teams away from MSFS as to create our own satellite industry from scratch, giving an outlet to fans who want to develop and expand the Storm of War universe. So we’ll be giving proprietary tools to external developers which will allow them to insert new aircraft and other objects into the Storm of War engine, and their work will not affect the crucial element of online fairness.

However, with the demise of Aces Studio, I really hope that many of the MSFS external developers will begin to look in our direction and consider switching over to Storm of War.

IIya: I have the deepest respect for the core MSFS team, and for the huge number of flight simulator developers around the world. They keep this industry going. There is tremendous talent out there, and some MSFS products developed by third party developers are easily as good as anything developed by professional flight sim teams. If we can bring some of them round to our side, it has to be great for everyone, for us, for them, and most importantly for the end-users.

Remember that the Storm of War engine is very flexible, and it’s built completely from scratch to next-generation standards. Without third-party support we could hardly begin to explore the possibilities, and they are truly endless. For third parties, there are no limits at all. You could cover the entire history of aviation from WWI to today, both military and civilian, props jets and everything else. Basically anything you could imagine.

There’s only so much one development team can do, and look at how far we’ve taken IL-2 over the years with everything having to go through Oleg. I can’t even imagine the things that we’ll get to see with a powerful next-generation engine that’s opened up to external talent.

hiro
04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
that video is awesome, and its cool SOW allows talented 3rd party ninjas to make more awesomeness.

Fireskull
04-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Oleg,

I know you are a very busy person, so I will keep it simple. To not answer this question at this time would be understandable for several reasons.

The quality looks fantastic in the video, especially considering that it is DirectX 9.

Can you tell everyone how much time until you receive the next NVIDIA graphics cards for testing with DirectX 11 and with them the next generation PhysX technology derived from PolyMorph Engine?

(You and I both know that they will be the best for Storm of War. ;) )

Richie
04-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Would a 6 core processor work fine with SOW. Something like an i7 980?

334th_Gazoo
04-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Would a 6 core processor work fine with SOW. Something like an i7 980?

Just buy the best you can afford...... After the game comes out!

Richie
04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Rgr

Freycinet
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
No update this week? :(

robtek
04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Patience!
Friday isn't over, yet!

IFnXI
04-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Patience!
Friday isn't over, yet!

In Russia, Friday is over, already.

dskleingeld
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
In Russia, Friday is over, already.Its around 20:00 in Russia. Oleg is probably finishing everything as we speak.

philip.ed
04-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll be pleasantly surpised if we get an update today ;)

sneeke97
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
In Russia, Friday is over, already.

Oh really? We must have some sort of disaster in time here in Moscow whit our 20PM fri 9apr right now :cool:

Flyby
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
think BIG. think FANTASTIC! the update may be AWESOME!! either way, I'll check back in a few hours. I'm sure the update will be up to 20 pages of comments by then, with forgiveness by all for having been made to wait. and if there is no update today, well we just have to get back to RL stuff (school, work, the ever-present Honey-Do list, bong hits, etc). survival is the first law of Nature.
Flyby out

ECV56_Lancelot
04-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Bue none of us will die if we don´t get an update today!
Well, maybe some will cry TREASON for not having the update, and god will only know why it would be a treason for them! :).
To be honest, would like to see am update of the more background improvements that some new graphics bells, or a video or screenshot with hudreds of aircraft in the air, like some people requested. With what has been showed so far, i´m convinced that graphically the sim will be a blast.

IFnXI
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Its around 20:00 in Russia. Oleg is probably finishing everything as we speak.

spare Oleg. :) Where have you seen a man who liked to sit at work until 8 p.m.? :)

IFnXI
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh really? We must have some sort of disaster in time here in Moscow whit our 20PM fri 9apr right now :cool:

I do not know, how about Moscow, but here in Kaluga, every one are celebrating Friday, but do not sit in the office:)

sorry for off topic :)

Ernst
04-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Oleg gets vacation from you annoying guys in the forum. Hehehe...:-P

lbuchele
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
No...update...today...
AAARRRRGGHHH!(crazy combat sim nerd dying)

AdMan
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I feel this is a downward turning point in my life

frsv0678
04-09-2010, 06:37 PM
No...update...today...
AAARRRRGGHHH!(crazy combat sim nerd dying)

Yeah me too :S I have visited the forum at least 30times today to check for any updates :'(

zakkandrachoff
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah me too :S I have visited the forum at least 30times today to check for any updates :'(

poor bastard jeje

Insuber
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Ok guys,

I can't bear all this pain, here is today's update. Enjoy !!!

1. All is still WIP.
2. Before you ask, the tree is an English Oak from Northumberland.
3. Basic lighting effects, DX9
4. The gore effects will be switchable
5. The muzzle flash is WIP also

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/Insuber/Update08-04-10.jpg

ElAurens
04-09-2010, 10:15 PM
:grin:

Necrobaron
04-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok guys,

1. All is still WIP.

Hahahaha!:P
________
Homemade vaporizer bulb (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

SlipBall
04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice update, however the wing tips are bogus for a Luf :-P

deadmeat313
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Insuber!

I am impressed with the light glint off the cockpit, the drop shadows and the visual horizon. But those muzzle flashes look a little bit overdone, eh?

I know, I know. This is WIP obviously. :D

Chivas
04-09-2010, 10:27 PM
The updates should be every two weeks anyway. Weekly updates seems like a long time for those of us waiting, but I would imagine every Friday comes way to quickly for Oleg and crew.

Luffe
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Ok guys,

1. All is still WIP.

I don't think the Bf-108 had any wing guns.

But finally an ingame screen with anti-aliasing.

AdMan
04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Ok guys,

1. All is still WIP.

too much weathering

and the flower is the wrong species

ElAurens
04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Check out the AI seagulls.

Great small details are what will make or break this sim.

;)

AKA_Tenn
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
muahaha thats good :razz:

furbs
04-09-2010, 10:54 PM
the colours are still wrong

Necrobaron
04-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Is that a seagull? Looks more like a duck to me. FAIL!
________
BOX VAPORIZER (http://boxvaporizers.com)

furbs
04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
and the scale is way off!...look at the size of the flower!

Necrobaron
04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
...and the Balkenkreuz looks more like the simplified, late-war version. TOTALLY INACCURATE! This screenie also highlights a flaw in the pilot AI. Why is the pilot shooting the water?
________
List of suzuki motorcycles (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/List_of_Suzuki_motorcycles)

RCAF_FB_Orville
04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok guys,

1. All is still WIP.

LMAO......I'm from Northumberland, Insuber! You aint fooling nobody, y'hear?!!

THE BRANCHES ARE PORKED!!!

:grin::grin::grin:

AdMan
04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
and the scale is way off!...look at the size of the flower!

what don't you understand about WIP? stop nitpicking and whining...this forum is dumb

Necrobaron
04-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Nuh-uh! We must nitpick everything else Oleg might miss it!
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

Freycinet
04-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Ok guys,

Oh damn', seems my video card is not up to this latest game. I get a strange "checkered" effect all over the screen. Could it be my nvidia drivers?

sweln
04-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Too bad there wasen't any update.

Buster_Dee
04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
It appears that you are very dangerous with a pencil.

Crayons too?

whatnot
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
LoL Insurber! Best update so far!

We want a video for next friday!

major_setback
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Bad!! Gun flash extends beyond the propellor. The two blade propelllor was obsplete by 1940. The boat has no wake...and what type of tree is that supposed to be? It not endemic to England. Pooo baahhh!
:-(

Novotny
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm frankly quite surprised that I seem to have been the only to have noticed the insane reflections/refractions from the canopy on Insuber's screenshot.

maybe one day this will catch up with WoP

IceFire
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm frankly quite surprised that I seem to have been the only to have noticed the insane reflections/refractions from the canopy on Insuber's screenshot.

maybe one day this will catch up with WoP

Until Oleg stops saying that the graphics and the graphics engine are a work in progress I don't think there needs to be a huge amount of clamour about something like that.

Mind you constructive comments are good too :)

SlipBall
04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Until Oleg stops saying that the graphics and the graphics engine are a work in progress I don't think there needs to be a huge amount of clamour about something like that.

Mind you constructive comments are good too :)

I think that Novotny was referring to the line drawing, and was playing along on the criticism bandwagon of mocking ourselves :grin:

IceFire
04-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I think that Novotny was referring to the line drawing, and was playing along on the criticism bandwagon of mocking ourselves :grin:

Then I will just go and watch the new Dr Who and shut up :D :cool:

AdMan
04-11-2010, 06:19 AM
well that was fun...

*sighs

proton45
04-11-2010, 08:53 AM

lol...this is totally "off topic", but I kind of like the new Dr Who...I think the writer is pretty good.

Sternjaeger
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
lol...this is totally "off topic", but I kind of like the new Dr Who...I think the writer is pretty good.

I think the redhead is even better!!

SlipBall
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM

No Icefire, your posts have always been both informative, and (all way's) even tempered with a large dose of common sense...so forget Dr Who and shutting up for now:)

IceFire
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
No Icefire, your posts have always been both informative, and (all way's) even tempered with a large dose of common sense...so forget Dr Who and shutting up for now:)
Ok, so I'll resume posting but I'm still watching Dr Who on compromise :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

constant
04-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Redhead? Who??!! Zooming to youtube....

BOBC
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Excellent detail there, I also clicked on one of the other videos showing underneath thinking that its also SoW and saw BoB WoV at the end of the credits though the footage I didnt twig it as not SoW until near the end. giveaway was the MG15 mounts...credits confirmed it. Lovely Hurricanes etc.
BOBC