PDA

View Full Version : 8800GT 512 SLI good enough for SOW?

ARGH
04-02-2010, 04:58 AM
i may be asking too much but would love to know (if someone knows...maybe a dev?) what kind of GPU power we are looking at for at least a 30 fps experience on high graphical settings with a quad core cpu. my sli gpu setup is equivalent to a GTX 260 so i am praying that is enough power for all the eye candy.

from the pictures and information i read about this game i know it is multi-threaded but don't know if it will only utilize dual cores or more than this. the pictures look on par with wings of prey and i can run that game quite well.

if anyone knows the details a reply would be appreciated.

fireflyerz
04-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Well I still run a 8800.Gtx on , shall we say , a very large il2 game , also its more than copes with visual and editing programs and more often than not when im making a movie I have all on the go at the same time with no problems , dont forsee it having a problem running SOW , ive even got my fathers il2 running on a system that shouldnt have enough omph to run the game but dose , I dont honestly see the game being released and only able to run on the latest most expesive cards only.

Thunderbolt56
04-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Purely conjecture, but it would seem the most important question there would be whether or not SLI/CF support will be resident at release.

If you use Rise of Flight as a simple indicator of late-gen flight sim hardware requirements, then I can say a couple things:

First, even though a dual core CPU might be listed as minimum requirements (not saying they will, just saying), a quad core CPU will make a HUGE difference...like it or not.

Second, the GPU of an 8800 should cope reasonably well with the rendering duties, but 512MB Vram will be marginal. Dual 8800's in SLI should certainly run it (again, speculation), but you might still need to keep many settings low because of the small amounts of Vram.

To sum it up, I would still recommend waiting if you want to upgrade for SoW to see exactly what it might take and what you can afford post-release, but if you use IL2 as a historical benchmark and RoF as a current example, you will want to start saving some cash for the onslaught that SoW WILL bring to your rig.

TB

All comments are the opinion of the poster and in no way reflect the opinion of 1:C Maddox, BoB:SoW or any potential partners, present or future.

nearmiss
04-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I have 1 8800 GTX 512 PCI-Express video card. It will probably work fine, and it's a single standalone card. My Mobo will support 3 SLI, but when I researched carefully there was not benefit for 3 cards. More heat was about the whole of it.

I wouldn't sweat it now, because there will be a rush from this community upon final release. Many people will want to get the best out of the SOW possible, and I really don't think it's worth worrying about until such time.

JG27CaptStubing
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
i may be asking too much but would love to know (if someone knows...maybe a dev?) what kind of GPU power we are looking at for at least a 30 fps experience on high graphical settings with a quad core cpu. my sli gpu setup is equivalent to a GTX 260 so i am praying that is enough power for all the eye candy.

from the pictures and information i read about this game i know it is multi-threaded but don't know if it will only utilize dual cores or more than this. the pictures look on par with wings of prey and i can run that game quite well.

if anyone knows the details a reply would be appreciated.

I'm actually running 8800GTs 512 in SLI and they scale very well in IL2. I'm pushing the righ with an overclocked Q9650 at 4ghz and running 1920X1200 with very little problems. The only time it studders is when the map makers go a little nuts with the Mod AI stuff.

Having played Birds of Prey as a prelude to SOW it actually runs and scales better than IL2 with full DX9 support. My cards didn't bat an eye at the eye candy of that game. There is a good chance you will be able to run SOW just fine. Oleg's been really good about scaling the game engine over time.

Of course with Fermi hitting the streets I will be going with a faster single card solution once the dust settles.

MD_Titus
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
maybe.

SUP_Trok
04-03-2010, 02:49 PM
What about Ati Radeon HD 5850?. Now I'm running Wings of Prey at full superhight graphic and works very good.

JG27CaptStubing
04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
What about Ati Radeon HD 5850?. Now I'm running Wings of Prey at full superhight graphic and works very good.

Most likely it will run just fine...