PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy accumulation?

tsavo
03-26-2010, 11:32 PM
just finished the first time, forced to follow the stroy line after comming back from alien sector.
so want to start a new game, and get more confused with perks.

eg. if u chose laser proficiency + 40% gunner, how accurate when u r using laser?
30 + 20 +40? or
1.3 x 1.2 x 1.4? or
1.3 x 1.4?

and what does a low/mid/high accuracy weapon mean exactly?:confused:

Nanaki
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
eg. if u chose laser proficiency + 40% gunner, how accurate when u r using laser?
30 + 20 +40? or
1.3 x 1.2 x 1.4? or
1.3 x 1.4?

You start off with an 20% accuracy penalty, or 0.8. It than adds all the bonuses, so .8 + .3 + .2 +.4, which equals 1.7, or +70% accuracy. You can see all the calculations in the Data/Script/AI/PerkDispatcher.script file.

and what does a low/mid/high accuracy weapon mean exactly?

Most weapons have a certain 'degree' of scatter, the higher the accuracy of the weapon, the lower the scatter.

tsavo
03-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Most weapons have a certain 'degree' of scatter, the higher the accuracy of the weapon, the lower the scatter.

so, how accurate, or how scattered, are 'low' weapons?
20% of distance?:confused:

Goblin Wizard
03-27-2010, 10:45 AM
low accuracy weapons like machineguns and miniguns start to be useful at around half of their maximum range. At max range even full bursts go in space. Other problem with them is that they have bullet speed (unlike lasers and PPCs) so when the ship have any angular velocity to you more bullets will be wasted. Laser type weapons deliver damage instantly (of course if they hit). Other great advantage of laser is that the beam stays for around half a second. If anything cross the beam during that time gets damaged. Half a second may sounds short but let me give an example I saw: Astarte fired with two muskets and missed both but during that time two fighters crossed the beams and they instantly vaporized:o. I wanted to hit at least one fighter but killed two:cool:.

tsavo
03-27-2010, 11:50 AM
low accuracy weapons like machineguns and miniguns start to be useful at around half of their maximum range. At max range even full bursts go in space. Other problem with them is that they have bullet speed (unlike lasers and PPCs) so when the ship have any angular velocity to you more bullets will be wasted. Laser type weapons deliver damage instantly (of course if they hit). Other great advantage of laser is that the beam stays for around half a second. If anything cross the beam during that time gets damaged. Half a second may sounds short but let me give an example I saw: Astarte fired with two muskets and missed both but during that time two fighters crossed the beams and they instantly vaporized:o. I wanted to hit at least one fighter but killed two:cool:.

hoho, wish u can provide vedio.
well, i am trying to use engineer as mothership pilot, but found that type is neither good at stardard shooting nor lazer, so i need to think how to max the damage while tanking.:evil:

Nanaki
03-27-2010, 12:06 PM
hoho, wish u can provide vedio.
well, i am trying to use engineer as mothership pilot, but found that type is neither good at stardard shooting nor lazer, so i need to think how to max the damage while tanking.:evil:

Pulse Lasers are your best bet. Unlike Particle Accellerators and regular laser cannons, it spreads its damage over a 3 or 4 round burst. It will do less damage per shot, but it will greatly increase the chances of hitting with each burst.

tsavo
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Pulse Lasers are your best bet. Unlike Particle Accellerators and regular laser cannons, it spreads its damage over a 3 or 4 round burst. It will do less damage per shot, but it will greatly increase the chances of hitting with each burst.

yeah, my ms was equiped with 2 pulse laser + 2 projectile cannons during the final mission, but after a while, i noticed some of the enemy fighters are fighting with half armor and full shield. So, some hits by pulse laser are not good enough.

since engineers are only good at heavy weapon proficiency, so i'm really thinking of use that perk to full -- an all-projectile-cannon mothership.:evil:

Goblin Wizard
03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
yeah, my ms was equiped with 2 pulse laser + 2 projectile cannons during the final mission, but after a while, i noticed some of the enemy fighters are fighting with half armor and full shield. So, some hits by pulse laser are not good enough.

Yes. Pulse lasers are slightly too weak. IMO the best are normal lasers. They have highest dps and range (200 dmg and 2sec recharge against 260 dmg and 3sec recharge PPC).

Nanaki
03-27-2010, 01:34 PM
The problem with normal lasers and particle accellerators is that they bank it all on one shot, so if you have a MS pilot with poor gunnery, they wont hit anything most of the time anyway.

and MS Pilot with heavy cannon proficiency? As far as I know, none of the Mothership system software has any proficiency, just Gunnery 2.

tsavo
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
The problem with normal lasers and particle accellerators is that they bank it all on one shot, so if you have a MS pilot with poor gunnery, they wont hit anything most of the time anyway.

and MS Pilot with heavy cannon proficiency? As far as I know, none of the Mothership system software has any proficiency, just Gunnery 2.

not software, pilot:cool:

Killer
04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Hmm, I have never used a pilot in MS. It seems like a waste of resources when he/she can fight in a fighter. Moreover most of us will agree that using Systems firmware Mk.3 is the best solution and it itself adds 120% accuracy to guns which is enough in my opinion.
I just am not sure with the particle vs. pulse laser. I have 4 pulse laser turrets I got from destroying all those platforms early in the game (really nice cash boot as I got 12 in total) so I have been using pulse lasers in my current game nearly from the beginning. And I found out that when a pulse laser hits once it can miss with the other shot. While particle guns when it hits, it hits, when it misses it misses.

Goblin Wizard
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Moreover most of us will agree that using Systems firmware Mk.3 is the best solution and it itself adds 120% accuracy to guns which is enough in my opinion.

120% is displayed but it's really a +20% bonus. It's far from being enough for me. It's hard to hit anything that's fly over 50% of the max range of the guns (even if you use lasers). Fully trained technician has better shield recharge/repair bonus and better accurancy but need tons of exp.

btw mod i'm creating will contain hireable pilots so you will no longer have to put all your pilots in fighters. I'll probably change pilot and hangar limit to 8 too (to avoid storyline collision).

Nanaki
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
btw mod i'm creating will contain hireable pilots so you will no longer have to put all your pilots in fighters. I'll probably change pilot and hangar limit to 8 too (to avoid storyline collision).

More pilots would be a godsend... one of the things that has always irritated me about Star Wolves 3 is that you basically have to make do with 2-4 pilots and a mothership until the very end of the game.

PS: By the way, if you need any Summon abilities, such as Summon USS, or Summon Patrol, I can do it. I can even add fleet summoning and summoning bomber wings/capital ships.

Killer
04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, that is the problem. There are so few pilots that I find it better to have them in fighters. Most of the game you are left with three pilots. And then when returning from Precursor system you lose two pilots. So if there are more, I would also put one to the MS.

BTW does anyone knows why Joseph joins you? Just to tell you which system to go, help you shoot a few aliens and then run away with all equipment you gave him? Can it be changed so he stays?

Nanaki
04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Joseph probably joins you just to give you a temporary boost in pilots while you take on the aliens, and he leaves to make way for Kalem and whoever you sided with. Also probably why Heretic/Phantom refuses to join you after the expedition.

Goblin Wizard
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
PS: By the way, if you need any Summon abilities, such as Summon USS, or Summon Patrol, I can do it. I can even add fleet summoning and summoning bomber wings/capital ships.

Thanks a lot! I'll surely let you know when I'll be done with all stuff I'm working on. My new system is a clear space now so I'll need some flying junk there.
Unfortunately, I have much more ideas than a time to do them. I'm glad that someone's working on other things so maybe at the end we will join all improvements together in one brilliant mod :cool:

tsavo
04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
the thing is, I was looking for a combat engineer, not only a tanking mothership.
so, when u can hire some pilot, there might be a solution for me.

Nanaki
04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Fully trained technician has better shield recharge/repair bonus and better accurancy but need tons of exp.

I forgot to mention, but this is not correct at all... The Systems Software MK3 has Technomage, Expert countermeasures, expert shield operator, expert repairman, so the repair/shield bonuses are exactly the same as an expert technician, minus the engine improvements (which was given to the Piloting Software instead). The only bad thing about MS pilots is that they are overspecialized, that same systems operator only has Piloting 2 and Weapons 2.

Though, a technician may have higher survivability if he has any of the piloting survivability perks (Tactician, Hard To Kill) on top of his technical bonuses. But you would require practically a maxed out Technician in order to surpass that, while you can get the Systems Software MK3 very early in the game.

Goblin Wizard
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, you're speaking truth. I always count "Hard to Kill" as a 25% tanking bonus. It's not mere 25% bonus to shield recharge or something. It generally reduces incoming damage by 1/4 so it's huge difference.
I use System mk3 too but I can't watch while it's shooting. Nearly everyone is better.
I'm not sure if Tactician works with mothership because there is no team to boost.