PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions I couldn't work out from online strategy guides

dgg9879
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
I am playing on easy mode.

Played the game once but found it hard even after reading the manual so now replaying after reading strategy guides but still find it a bit daunting.

Please answer these questions for me if you can.

What year/strength level should I start attacking dominators (if I start too early I'll be killed if I start too late they'll be too strong)?

One strategy guide suggested using Scientific Bases to upgrade equipment rather than buying more expensive equipment because the more expensive equipment costs so much more to repair. But the optimum hull is supposed to be 800 to 1000 in size. Should I wait until I have a hull this size before upgrading it at the Scientific Base or upgrade my current one (450 in size).

Is there an easy way to keep track of which planets I've "probed" rather than writing it down?

I believe you are offered RTS missions at planets. Is this prompted by killing all the Dominators in a sector? How does it all work? I know you kill Dominators to get parts that are taken to Science stations to do research to destroy the Domintors. But how do the RTS battles fit in? Is that what you need to do to liberate a planet?

mab91862
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
It is difficult to give you an exact year, but generally I start going after Dominators with a vengeance, once missile throwers are readily available, and I have a fast ship. The way I fight is to find a system with only me and the Dominators, then running around the perimeter of the system, with them chasing me, keeping the fastest one just inside missile range. Watch target strength and when you think the next missiles will destroy it. make a turn to pull the other Dominators away from the equipment so they don't shoot it on the way past.

I try to upgrade what I have as soon as I can afford it. It takes awhile for the next generation to become available, and upgraded equipment is usually = to the next generation.

If you go the galaxy map and click on a system it should show the uninhabited planets, and an "explored" next to the ones you have probed.

The RTS missions seem some what random, as to when you are offered them. A system that is recently liberated will offer them the most, but some times not right away. If I have liberated a system, I go around and collect nodes and equipment and drop them off at the planet where the "celebration takes place. Each time there I ask for a mission. It seems around 75% of the time I will be offered one.

Completing the RTS missions are not "mandatory". You gain CR's, experience points and sometimes artifacts. The one thing I like is that they don't use up game time. In other words, nothing happens outside while you are in a RTS. There is a RTS with method to kill one of the bosses, but there are also other ways to kill him. So RTS missions are up to you.

I have been playing this game since November '09, quite a bit, and don't have all of the answers yet, but I think I have worked out some decent strategies. I'll try to watch this forum if you have any other questions.

uk_john
07-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I would also say to watch the Galaxy news and when the tell you Rangers are waiting in a sector to reclaim another sector from the Dominator's, you shoudl go there and see whats hanging around. If it's a large group of battleship's with good equipment (scan them if you can) then go in with them, if it's a small group of motley Rangers, bide your time.

MaloqMaurader
08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
- yup. Galaxy News is what i always watch. for upcoming attacks on Dominator controlled systems, and pirate activity. with attacks on Dominator systems, i usually just go ahead and jump in with the attackers, kill at least one Dominator (a cheap one) and jump out (kill stat) before i get KIA. same with defending a system. jump to safe system for repairs (if i can afford it).
- the missions can be fun. i just take the ones that are interesting (rock concert, FONCER RACING, etc.), or just for the money (delivering something). but be careful, sometimes you can get into trouble and thrown in jail :confused:

uk_john
08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes. Some missions turn on you, don't they? - And some are funny, and the races go against you and for you really quickly! :)