PDA

View Full Version : How's about these for SOW?

PeterPanPan
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Here are 3 things which occurred to me today whilst reading Al Deere's Nine Lives. I reckon they would make great additions to SOW.

I wonder if you agree and if anyone knows if any of these will be modelled in SOW?

1. Anti-landing posts - these were wooden posts stuck into fields in southern England to stop German gliders landing. They also proved to be obstacles for stricken RAF pilots making crash landings on home ground during the BoB. Pretty easy to add to SOW I would have thought?

2. De Wilde Ammunition - initially available in short supply in the early stages of the BoB, this ammunition had no tracer smoke but instead flashed on impact. Pilots found this extremely useful as a visual guide to see if their shots were on target. Of course, not having tracer also meant this was a more stealthy way of attacking from the rear. Again, I would assume not too tricky to implement in SOW.

3. Automatic Fire Tenders - no doubt more tricky to implement, but how cool would it be if a fire tender and associated vehicles/personnel automatically rushed over to a crash landed aircraft that made it back to a friendly airfield. Hauling an injured pilot out of the cockpit would be nice too!

PPanPan

lbuchele
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
A Fire Tender means the same as a firefighter? ( sorry, no native english here)

PeterPanPan
03-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, Fire Tender = Fire Engine = Fire Truck etc. :)

Theshark888
03-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Hopefully Parachute and Cable (PAC) will make it into the game.

AndyJWest
03-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Hopefully Parachute and Cable (PAC) will make it into the game.
Please expand on this... I could probably Google it, but a little more in the initial postings might inspire enthusiasm.

PeterPanPan
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Please expand on this... I could probably Google it, but a little more in the initial postings might inspire enthusiasm.

Ditto ... more info please!
PPanPan

Daniƫl
03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Good ideas! That would make SoW very realistic.

ECV56_Guevara
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
PAC:
"Sometimes a weapon can have effects that are secret even from the people using it. The Parachute and Cable (or PAC) was a British weapon intended to bring down German bombers. The idea was that a cable would be lifted into the air by a rocket into the path of a bomber. The bottom end of the cable carried an explosive device, and there was a parachute at the top. The parachute served two functions. Once the rocket burned out the canopy slowed the cable's fall, and if the cable caught a bomber's wing the drag from the parachute would pull the cable across the wing until the explosive made contact and detonated. (Early versions simply had a second parachute at the bottom, with no explosive. They were intended to entangle propellers. Later variations included hanging the cables from barrage balloons.) Proponents of PAC expected Nazi bombers to drop from the skies in droves. "
from: http://www.dcr.net/~stickmak/JOHT/joht14secretweapons.htm

AndyJWest
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Guevara. I thought it was probably something of the sort. Not the sort of thing you want to run into in a Heinkel...

KG26_Alpha
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
From memory (IIRC)

Ju88 A6 He111 H3/5 had cable deflectors fitted on the nose, but the He111 H8/9/10 night bombers had full length cable deflectors from nose to wing tips so they could fly through or cut the barrage balloon cables and such.

The earlier variants gave way to lighter equipment being installed on later models like the Kuto-Nase balloon cable-cutters installed on the leading edges of the wings.

LEADING EDGE OF DORNIER WING, FITTED WITH KUTO NASE

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt08/pics/cable-cutter.jpg

Ju88 A6

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/52/652/9/28/67/2376928670036857008XjnBSv_th.jpg

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread :)