PDA

View Full Version : Area damage weapons?

jerryfanfan
03-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I sometimes get fighters shot down even if they have very good anti-missile equipment. That makes me think I am getting hit by splash damage as opposed to just MIRVs. Maybe regular torpedos have an area of affect just like the alien torpedo?

tsavo
03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
i'm no expert on missiles, but, some good missiles have over 4 warheads, so, some of it will break your missile defence for sure.

jerryfanfan
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I was just testing this deliberately. Yes, torpedoes have splash damage, and can destroy a tight cluster of fighters in one hit.

FerretStyle
03-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Most missiles have splash damage, some of them just have a really small radius. The ones I use most frequently, SRM-24 Scorpions, aren't torpedoes but have significant splash damage.

Usually what gets my fighters is premature MIRV explosions (since apparently they can go off before they're supposed to). Also, enemy squads tend to get blown up by this as well, it's funny. Except you get no exp for it which sucks :-P

Randon
03-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes there are area damage weapons and in fact they are much more better in some battles that MIRV. I use Hellbringer - he is almost perfect for getting past the enemy antimissile systems and in many cases it can destroy the whole squadron in one hit. It has also long range so with good scanner you can destroy waiting enemies even unnoticed. I cleared this way the whole system where you are ambushed by the Kruger pirate or the aliens in the X220 system.

jerryfanfan
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
I just destroyed all the aliens in the Dyson sphere with 3 Hellbringers and 4 low tech torps without have them fire a single shot back, oh wow.

tsavo
03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
I just destroyed all the aliens in the Dyson sphere with 3 Hellbringers and 4 low tech torps without have them fire a single shot back, oh wow.

yeah, most of the enemy need a better radar
:-x

jerryfanfan
03-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Speaking of rader, I assume "reduce sensor signature" just means that the enemy will have to come even closer to detect my fighters? Or does this affect their accuracy against me as well?

tsavo
03-26-2010, 06:01 AM
not after they can see u i guess