PDA

View Full Version : SW2: Am I doing it wrong?

Leman Russ
03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Recently I acquired the Star Wolves package from steam (SW1, SW2 together with a pre-ordered SW3). The first SW was an enjoyable game to play through, and I finished it a couple of days ago. My experience with the second SW is different though. I follow the missions (I chose the MSF side), but keep getting so much enemy resistance that I wonder if I'm missing something? I just got a third pilot, corsair, and still have only the most basic weapons/fighters/turrets/etc. Yet I now run into (seemingly) scripted fights involving 10 enemy fighters that easily outmatch me. This turns into an endless string of die-and-reload actions I have to perform that really take the joy out of the game for me. So my question is: what am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to play side missions before engaging in the main missions? Am I missing some tactics or insight? Or did they make the second installment of this game so much harder?

valky
03-15-2010, 07:58 AM
The enemies' resistance rises fast...you can do either the missions for mo' money on the stations or the other more common method usually was jumpgate-camping :rolleyes: (if you are focused only on the main mission it'll be very hard later on). Uhm there even exist a random mission with some nice reward (1 mio).
Uhm can't remember exactly but i think there was a location right at the beginning before getting Corsair. on one side of a jumpgate there was a patrol waiting for you (plot related?!). You could kill it, jump back/forth..kill it again and so on. Although they weren't that bad against your crappy ships + gear at least at the beginning.
As said quite some time ago...maybe you should give it a try. The aliens and some other scripted events were hell without some 'other' income.

You could even (with some better equipment and maybe + Corsair) park at some random jumpgate, set your fighter guarding your mo-ship...shoot some ships which are coming from the jumpgate and after some time, everything is hostile. Go shopping / or do whatever you want and let them have fun for some 'hours' .. :-P
(I think there were good locations right in some beginning sectors but can't remember them. There weren't not really factions in SW2 so it doesn't matter if you beat the living *** out of some sector and go elsewhere ^^)

Leman Russ
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tip valky! I have not resorted to piracy yet, but I did find that lucrative trade route (although the route I found was for 500k instead of 1000k, but who's complaining :)).

By the way, the thing that I did wrong was not running away. I figured that every battle I encountered was one I could win, but with all the random encounters and random traffic in the areas there's a good chance - and certainly when just starting out - that you won't make it. So now when the odds are against me, I tuck my tail firmly between my legs and make for the nearest exit :cool:

Looks like the second installment of Star Wolves will be even more enjoyable as the first! Already looking forward to playing the third one!