View Full Version : Modding SW3?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Saroth
03-13-2010, 12:51 AM
anyone have good tip for how to import ships to this game? or any other wohoo's

Nanaki
03-13-2010, 02:20 AM
http://freenet-homepage.de/allaway/star_wolves/index_english.html

Unfortunately, the person running this stopped updating, but much of the content here is still relevant

Demourge
03-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Well, I've been playing around with the data files a bit, I've succesfully edited a couple of items, but not been able to add any new ones using existing templates.

For example:

My Shield Prototype gives an additional 700 Shield + 6 SP/s

How?

Go to X:\Program Files\1C Company\Star Wolves 3 - Civil War\Data\Game (Or where you have your game installed)
Open up Modules.xml with notepad (or any text editor)
Now search for "ShAmp5"
Once found, search for the string called: <shield_energy>
You see it is set to 500 .. Simply changing this to 700 will give you 700 additional shield
Changing the string <shield_restore> will change whatever shield you want SP/s.

Now that you have edited the game info, you naturally want it to be displayed properly in the game aswell, otherwise it will still show up 500 SP and 4 SP/s in the description.

Alright, now lets go to: X:\Program Files\1C Company\Star Wolves 3 - Civil War\Data\LocData\English (Or any other language you have)

You will notice a file called: m_modules.loc
Open up that with notepad.
Now search for "ShAmp5"
You will see the description of the file, simply changing 500 to 700 and 4 to 6 is all that needs to be done.
Save and you're ready to go!

NOTICE: ALWAYS BACKUP FILES YOU EDIT .. (Even though this editing is quite harmless, it beats reinstalling when you break your game)

Now, as for my personal problem, adding new items.
With my previous method I showed how I edited the properties of the items .. So I figured, if I copy one part of the .xml file and edit it with new settings, it should add a new item while using an existing image, no? I wanted to make a Shield Prototype Mk 2, so I added this under "ShAmp5":

<ShieldModule name="ShAmp6">
<short_name>#M_Name_ShAmp6</short_name>
<hint>#M_Hint_ShAmp6</hint>
<short_desc>#M_SDesc_ShAmp6</short_desc>
<long_desc>#M_LDesc_ShAmp6</long_desc>
<mesh_name>systembox</mesh_name>
<flat_image>Phantom_Shield</flat_image>
<hit_points>10000</hit_points>
<mass>10</mass>
<disable_trade>false</disable_trade>
<cost>300000</cost>
<technology/>
<attach_type>ONLY_FIGHTER</attach_type>
<shield_energy>700</shield_energy>
<shield_restore>6</shield_restore>
</ShieldModule>

And added this to m_modules.loc:
#M_Name_ShAmp6 = Shield Prototype Mk 2
#M_Hint_ShAmp6 = Shield Prototype|Shield booster
#M_SDesc_ShAmp6 = A shield prototype.
#M_LDesc_ShAmp6 = A shield booster that increases shield energy by 700 SP and shield regeneration by 6 SP/s.|A shield booster prototype of the new generation. It's still early to speak about its commercialization.

Now I naturally figured that it won't just show up in tradestation and had to be "added" to the inventory, so I opened up InitTradeSystem.script and figured that this line: -- Sh,Eng,Man would stand for Shields, Engines, Maneuverability and the numbers displayed in their generation: Bastion, Citadel, Stronghold, Granite, Shield Prototype .. so I figured, if I had another number behind the number that stands for Shield Prototype, it would add my Shield Prototype Mk 2, right? Wrong.
It doesn't show up in the shops unfortunately. And as of yet I can't figure out why. So anyone more experienced with modding this game, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? :P

As for your cheaters out there:

To enable console open Main.ini file located in the game folder.
Under section [GAME] is entry "DEBUGMODE = 0". Change value to "1" (without quotes). Save the file.

Now you can open console in-game by pressing [Shift]+[~] keys.

To enable cheats open the console and type in "g_cheats 1". Now you have enabled cheats.

Cheats:

I - God Mode (No damage to you your mothership or your fighters unless its part of a mission)
So now first close console then push Shift and i to get the BIG I :-)

Nanaki
03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
but not been able to add any new ones using existing templates.

You should not have had a problem with this, I have successfully added new ships with no problem at all.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9653/starwolves3.jpg

It doesn't show up in the shops unfortunately. And as of yet I can't figure out why.

Either you did not add it into the file properly, or you simply were not lucky. Remember that a shop does not display all of its inventory, only that which passes the random generator.

Demourge
03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Enlighten me how you did it then? I meant adding items in the tradestock of stations, maybe I did something wrong, but I don't know :) (You can easily retrace my steps in the previous post) Saying that you *can* doesnt actually help anyone much :)

And yes I know the stock gets randomized at stations, that's why redocking a couple of times usually gets you what you want.

Nanaki
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
And yes I know the stock gets randomized at stations, that's why redocking a couple of times usually gets you what you want.

I just finished double-checking everything. Found your problem, you were misinterpreting the inittradesystem script. You also need to edit the floodtradestations.script file located in the include folder. You will need to add your shield to here:

__All_systems ={"LRS1","LRS2","LRS3","LRS4",
"ECM1","ECM2","ECM3","ECM4","AMS1","AMS2","AMS3","AMS4",
"Stealth1","Stealth2","Stealth3","CloD1","CloD2",
"LRRNB1","LRRNB2","LRRNB3","LRRNB4",
"RNBot1","RNBot2","RNBot3","RNBot4",
"RBot1","RBot2","RBot3","RBot4",
"ShAmp1","ShAmp2","ShAmp3","ShAmp4","ShAmp5",
"EngBoost1","EngBoost2","EngAmp1","EngAmp2","EngAmp3","ManAmp1","ManAmp2",
"WBoost1","WBoost2","WBoost3","GunAmp1","GunAmp2",
"ALS0","ALS1","ALS2",
"BS_LRS1","BS_LRS2","BS_LRS3","BS_LRS4",
"BS_ECM1","BS_ECM2","BS_ECM3","BS_ECM4",
"BS_Stealth1","BS_Stealth2",
"BS_RBot1","BS_RBot2","BS_RBot3","BS_RBot4",
"BS_ShAmp1","BS_ShAmp2","BS_ShAmp3","BS_ShAmp4",
"BS_EngAmp1","BS_EngAmp2","BS_ManAmp","BS_EngManAmp1","BS_EngManAmp2",
"BS_GunAmp1","CargoExpander1",
"BS_ALS0","BS_ALS1","BS_ALS2"};

Than you will need to add your shield here, in tradeinit:

4,3,1,1,0,6,3,3,2,1,1,1, -- Sh,Eng,Man

Should become something like...

4,3,1,1,0,1,6,3,3,2,1,1,1, -- Sh,Eng,Man

That should send you off in the right direction.

Arch89
03-14-2010, 03:28 PM
@nanaki
an interesting thing i noticed while browsing that site u posted about modding is a mod that (among other things) increased the number of rockets\slot for fighters...anyone got any ideeas about how it was done or adapting it to sw3?

Nanaki
03-14-2010, 03:32 PM
@nanaki
an interesting thing i noticed while browsing that site u posted about modding is a mod that (among other things) increased the number of rockets\slot for fighters...anyone got any ideeas about how it was done or adapting it to sw3?

Edit modules.xml, look for the max_rocket_count attribute. Like the other guy said earlier, back up everything you plan to mod incase you either decide you do not like it, or end up making a mistake and breaking everything.

Arch89
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
thx 4 the quick answer...i'll give it a try when i have time and come back with some feedback...

Raziel666
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Is there a manual that i can read about adding new ships and stuff? Because no matter what i try its not working. Changing specs of existing ships or even replace the Astarte is one thing, but adding ships seems to be a lot diferent.

Nanaki
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Are you trying to add a new ship as a mission reward, or a new ship as something to buy from a shop? What exactly is going wrong?

Raziel666
03-15-2010, 01:30 PM
To buy from the shop or get them in the inventory, whichever works. For example the corvets, the motherships like the Stalingrad or Lion mk1, which are in the game just can't use them. If it's possible to add the mean fighters from SW2, pitty they are not in this one. A few new missions would also come in handy. It's a nice idea.

valky
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I dunno if new items/ships only be available if you start a new game, but also had slightly difficulties adding some stuff into a running game :eek: new game worked fine by me...

My slightly tweaked Butcher Mk. II corvette :rolleyes: / step by step

edit your Carcasses.xml (i took the "Butcher_pl0" , these are usualy used only by player!) Bold stuff is very important ! otherwise it won't work (you can buy it but you can't use it)
Other things are bit tweaked down...i think having a 5000 armor ship for the player 'd be too easy. slightly more speed and ~25 more maneuver / less shields & armor / sound from corvette added, should be in the file too (oh used different descriptions, so it won't work. it's only some example for whose who want to know^^)

<Interceptor name="Butcher_pl0">
<short_name>#M_Name_Butcher2</short_name>
<hint>#M_Hint_Butcher2</hint>
<short_desc>#M_SDesc_Butcher2</short_desc>
<long_desc>#M_LDesc_Butcher2</long_desc>
<mesh_name>butcher_kfni</mesh_name>
<flat_image>butcher_kfni</flat_image>
<hit_points>2500</hit_points>
<mass>2250</mass>
<disable_trade/>
<cost>300000</cost>
<technology/>
<EPR>3</EPR>
<explosion_script>Fighter</explosion_script>
<work_sound/>
<silence/>
<max_energy>1000</max_energy>
<energy_restore>3</energy_restore>
<max_speed>6.6</max_speed>
<maneurability>4</maneurability>
<steering_power>260</steering_power>
<sensor_resolution>0.38</sensor_resolution>
<sensor_length>135</sensor_length>
<threat>5</threat>
<mapping_name>butcher_corvette</mapping_name>
<HolderProperties>
<big_guns>4</big_guns>
<small_guns/>
<rockets/>
<systems>2</systems>
<turrets>1</turrets>
<gk_guns/>
<gk_turrets/>
</HolderProperties>
<engine_sound>Engine-Class3.wav</engine_sound>
<engine_start_sound>Start_engine_2a.wav</engine_start_sound>
<level>5</level>
</Interceptor>

Next step would be to define, that your fine ship also can use turrets *yay* !! (seems like they only made it possible to add a few, but nevermind thereafter you can use them all *eg*)

Modules.xml -> either manually or with a serious editor, as you don't WANT to replace all of the lines 'cause it will mess with all modules.
edit:

<TurretModule...>
<attach_type>ONLY_BIGSHIP</attach_type> <- change in <attach_type>ALL_SHIPS</attach_type>
</TurretModule>

Now that you have your corvette capable of using all turrets, you sure want to buy it :grin:

"...\Star Wolves 3 - Civil War\Data\Scripts\include\FloodTradeStations.script"

__All_ships ={......,"Trident_mk2_black_pl0","Butcher_pl0"};

the line is very important for the shop script where you can buy and so on! (in my case it would be at the end of line 5)

"...\Star Wolves 3 - Civil War\Data\Scripts\InitTradeSystem.script"

now add exactly at the position where your ship/module or whatever is another entry in _every_ local NShop*

in my case
local NShop_SI_sst = { ....

2,0,0,0,0,0,2}}; -- 5 level ships

I only made them available @MSF blackmarket shops. In every other shop it looks like:
0,0,0,0,0,0,0}}; -- 5 level ships

Hmm that's it. If you start a new (!) game you should be able to buy a Butcher Mk.II :-P. You can edit in a running game stats like armor/shields and so on but afaik adding new items just won't work as these are init-scripts for starting a new game.
Basically you could add stuff from SW2 doing this way...most of the meshes and so on are still there.

Arch89
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
hmm 2 quick questions:

1)would it be theoretically possible to add more than 4 rocket placements on any ship? i seem to remember bident has 4 rockets, 2 small guns & 2 systems...could it be possible to replace the 2 guns with missiles?

2)if so...i assume the same applies to big gun slots...imagine a butcher wielding those 1600 dmg cannons and a mothership with 2 missile slots(supernovas ofc) instead of 2 normal gun slots

Nanaki
03-15-2010, 05:00 PM
To buy from the shop or get them in the inventory, whichever works. For example the corvets, the motherships like the Stalingrad or Lion mk1, which are in the game just can't use them. If it's possible to add the mean fighters from SW2, pitty they are not in this one. A few new missions would also come in handy. It's a nice idea.

Corvettes you would have to convert to interceptors (like Valky did), Big ships you simply cannot impliment unless you replace your mothership with them. But most bigships that are not already a mothership are incapable of carrying fighters (like the Stalingrad and Stone Arrow), which creates a whole bunch of problems when trying to use it as a mothership. You can technically convert those ships to carriers, but it requires a LOT of editing and is a major pain in the rear to do.

1)would it be theoretically possible to add more than 4 rocket placements on any ship? i seem to remember bident has 4 rockets, 2 small guns & 2 systems...could it be possible to replace the 2 guns with missiles?

You would have to edit the model. Models have two kinds of slots, Big gun/missile slots, and small gun slots. Big guns and missiles are interchangable, but small gun slots will only work with small guns, and systems do not use special slots at all (so you can add as many as the GUI can handle).

2)if so...i assume the same applies to big gun slots...imagine a butcher wielding those 1600 dmg cannons and a mothership with 2 missile slots(supernovas ofc) instead of 2 normal gun slots

I do not think capital ships can carry or fire missiles. Corvettes, yeah, but not capital ships.

Raziel666
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Ok here is the problems.
Made the cavalier to interceptor, manage to by it great. Put pilot in it, great.
Put two systems in it, great. But no big guns no missiles. So basicly my pilots fly with no weapons what soever. Now i get it, i can't change the small guns to rockets but i also change the rockets to big guns so why can't i use them?

Nanaki
03-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Ok here is the problems.
Made the cavalier to interceptor, manage to by it great. Put pilot in it, great.
Put two systems in it, great. But no big guns no missiles. So basicly my pilots fly with no weapons what soever. Now i get it, i can't change the small guns to rockets but i also change the rockets to big guns so why can't i use them?

Did you make sure to edit the appropriate file in the texture/interface/carcass/slots folder?

Raziel666
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Yep. All done now i have corvet with 4 big guns, 2 rocket slots, and 2 system slots. But i keep wonder why the only place i can buy it is the station in Aurora? Because i placed it in every store.
Question: Is it possible to add more guns/missiles to existing ones? For example the wyvern_mk1 or dragon with 4 guns, 2 sys and 2 missiles.

Killer
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Valky, could you please post those modified files for those of us who are lazy to edit them ourselves? :) I would really like to buy the Butcher :-) Thanks.

Nanaki
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Question: Is it possible to add more guns/missiles to existing ones? For example the wyvern_mk1 or dragon with 4 guns, 2 sys and 2 missiles.

You can add small guns and systems to no ill effect, just as long as you use valid slot IDs. For small guns you will likely have to assign multiple small guns to a single small gun hardpoint, not a big deal, I think.

Adding missiles, big guns, and turrets requires editing the model, as you need to add additional hardpoints for the physical attachments. You can technically assign two weapons to a single hardpoint like small guns, but it would look really, really ugly (two weapons overlapping eachother). So it is a 'Do at your own risk' thing.

valky
03-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Valky, could you please post those modified files for those of us who are lazy to edit them ourselves? :) I would really like to buy the Butcher :-) Thanks.

Only tuned up the shields again ^^ but you can edit by yourself (<Interceptor name="Butcher_pl0">) - other stuff don't need to be changed, everything included & buyable only @MSF blackmarkets.

edit: i think the stats are okay, 5k armor+2.5k shields 'd be way to overpowered.

Raziel666
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Does anyone tried to import SW2 ships to SW3?

Nanaki
03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Does anyone tried to import SW2 ships to SW3?

My Leopard Corvette was originally made for SW2. Just make sure to copy the appropriate models and textures, if missing.

Killer
03-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Thank you Valky. What do you mean by a MSF blackmarket? I have only normal market and FTU market in game.

Raziel666
03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I did copy everything for the Matarice and Bastard. Change everything add them to the shop list. But the game crash every time i try to dock to station. There is diference between the texture files in main texture directory of those two and oder fighters including the corvet. Any ideas how to resolve the problem?

valky
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Thank you Valky. What do you mean by a MSF blackmarket? I have only normal market and FTU market in game.

Yeah...ma bad :) FTU = blackmarket...was referring to the script's name

(you only can buy it @ MSF's FTU market... :cool:)

Nanaki
03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I did copy everything for the Matarice and Bastard. Change everything add them to the shop list. But the game crash every time i try to dock to station. There is diference between the texture files in main texture directory of those two and oder fighters including the corvet. Any ideas how to resolve the problem?

SW3 should still be able to load SW2 textures, especially since I transferred a texture myself... The crash makes me wonder, though, especially since bugged textures are not likely to crash the game, I think. Every game handles bugged textures differently.

Did you use a program to edit the XML files? Doubtful its an XML problem, though, since the game refuses to work if theres a broken XML usually. Did you double-check all your modified code to make sure there were no syntax errors? My sixth sense is telling me that you made an error in one of the script files (Possibly one that has to do with the station), which crashes the game every time it calls that script.

Raziel666
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I copied the needed files from SW2 objects to SW3 objects and from SW2 textures to SW3 textures (including interface/carcasses/32,64,128,slots).
Then i copied the needed info from carcasses.xml in SW2 and pasted in carcasses.xml in SW3 (with the nececary editing). Did the same with ShipDescriptions.xml, and then add them in FloodTradeStations and InitTradeSystem. The thing is that the game crash every time they appear in the shop, because some times i can dock but they are not in the store. The strange thing is that in folder slots there is file named ships05 with those four fighter and Ramadanta inside so there should be no problem adding them. Maybe i'm missing something but don't know what.

ViralHatred
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Is it possible to mod the ramadanta back ingame? I'd like to get it to replace the Astarte if at all possible?

Nanaki
03-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Getting back into modding capital ships some... (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5495/starwolves5.jpg)

Added two turrets to a Lion MK2, also decided to see what would happen if I switched the texture from MSF to player (which is used by the Lion MK3). Other than the screwed up player logo, it actually comes up perfectly. Only problem is, I cannot figure out where the player logo is stored in the Lion's texture file to modify it. I suck with textures anyway.

Is it possible to mod the ramadanta back ingame? I'd like to get it to replace the Astarte if at all possible?

You can certainly try it. Although, it will be crappier than the Astarte since it will not have any big guns.

Raziel666
03-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Thats nice Lion with six turets. But the turets on my Mastif Doesn't have much to do with two Matarice fighters as escort. But I think trying to add two more major calibers on the other side (it's gonna be ugly when i get to the alien system).

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 12:38 AM
You can never have too many turrets, especially since big guns are extremely weak at close range (since they have difficulty turning to hit a target) If you ever do decide to fight the aliens, a lot of it is going to be very close quarters.

I can very easily add four more turrets to the Lion. The only thing that would still have more turrets would be the Stalingrad class Battleship, and the Alien dreadnought, both at 16 turrets.

Hmm... a Lion Cruiser with four big guns, ten turrets, and six systems... Not sure anything could survive that kind of firepower. Although equipping it would cost two arms and a leg.

Raziel666
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
No argue with that, but i'm not shure how it will look with four big guns. The Mastif on the other hand will look pretty nasty with four big guns. As for the agility, I thing i'l just reduce mass a bit (a lot actualy) and see what happens.
Got the feeling that mass play major role in manevurability of every ship.
By the way did you edit the imd file to add the turrets or just the shop file, since i'm not shure how to handle the cordinates in the later.

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I cannot figure out where the player logo is stored in the Lion's texture file to modify it. I suck with textures anyway.

Can you drop me the texture names? The logo is probably in a channel. Texture edits are easy, I modded my mastiff to have a different colour scheme.

And frankly, I found astarte was so slow to fire those big guns I'd rather have ramadanta or mastiff.

Update: The player logo is on the center left on Lion_Cruiser_Player.dds

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Update: The player logo is on the center left on Lion_Cruiser_Player.dds

Wierd, I am using GIMP and I can barely see anything... and I definatly do not see any insignia whatsoever. The whole texture also looks faded out. I am messing with Channels at the moment, and it is showing me Red, Blue, Green, Alpha channels.

If I duplicate a channel, it displays the texture but in black & white...

The texture name of the player's Lion cruiser is that. I am assuming that the player insignia has to be edited to match the Navy lion cruiser in size and shape, which is lion_cruiser_navy.dds, in order for it to display properly

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Are you trying to add or remove the insignia?

(I use photoshop with the Nvidia .dds plugin, shows up on _player version)

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Neither, trying to fix it (on the Lion_Cruiser_player.dds texture) so that it displays properly on the Lion MK2. (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5495/starwolves5.jpg) The reason why I referred to the Navy texture is that the Navy insignia (which is in the exact same spot) is displayed properly.

Seems like GIMP is unable to properly display SW3's DDS textures, unless there is some step I am forgetting to do.

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Highlighted the logos for you.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6611/lioncruisernavy.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/316/lioncruiserplayer.jpg

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
The Insignia on the center-left is what needs to be fixed. The bottom-right insignia is for the Lion Cruiser MK3 (The Lion cruiser texture is shared by two different ships), and is not what I am looking to fix.

This is what I am seeing in GIMP when I open it up:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2042/sw3gimp.jpg

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Click off viewing the alpha channel, it affects mipmaps/reflections.

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Click off viewing the alpha channel, it affects mipmaps/reflections.

Just gives me a blank picture. Nothing on it at all. I already tried messing around with the channels as you suggested.

Seems like my problem is that GIMP is not properly loading the RGB channels, only the alpha channel.

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes indeed. Actually, as the sheets are the same, why not just rename lion_cruiser_player.dds to lion_cruiser_player_original.dds then copy lion_cruiser_navy.dds and rename to lion_cruiser_player.dds?

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes indeed. Actually, as the sheets are the same, why not just rename lion_cruiser_player.dds to lion_cruiser_player_original.dds then copy lion_cruiser_navy.dds and rename to lion_cruiser_player.dds?

Because I want the color/insignia of lion_cruiser_player. Lion_Cruiser_Navy is the original texture of the Lion MK2.

ViralHatred
03-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Do the same in reverse then?

Were you after a version without all the extra bits you get on the player version, but with the player colour scheme and logos? Like this:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/95/lioncruisernavyplayer.jpg

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
well... not quite sure if that is what you mean... but I am after a version of lion_cruiser_player that has a non-bugged insignia. It is no biggie, though, I can live with the bugged insignia.

Scott the Snow
03-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Can you walk through the dialog system for a trader, or the maintenance station? I open up the dialogs and I can make sense of some of the scripting but it looks like it trargets voice files that I cant find, and I dont see how the text dialog is determined.

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 09:16 PM
All dialogue content (both voice and text) can be found in the locdata folder.

Just got done adding four additional turrets and two big guns to my Lion MK2. It all looks pretty good, and I -somehow- managed to squeeze all that (ten turrets, four big guns, six systems) to the GUI.

Scott the Snow
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Ok, Looking in DialogTrader1.xml you see the reference of #L_DT1n_msg00.

Looking in DialogTrader1n.loc you can find that value, but its just a string of random numbers:
BFD7DFD2DEDEA4A4A4D7DED4DFA1DFA4DFD3DFDEDFD2DED5DE D4A4D6D3DEA5D2D0A2D0A4A59A7DA7

Is this Hex? Is this the text I am looking for? What's a good way to convert it to English and back?

Nanaki
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I do not know. Unfortunately, Starwolves modding does not have much support, and almost all of that support is both German and for much older versions of the game (Starwolves 2 and 1, unfortunately the german modding community died out before 3 released). So chances are if you are trying to figure out something nobody else has figured out, you are on your own.

Edit: It is not hex or octal... I have no idea what it is, actually.

panzercracker
03-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Nanaki, how about your Super Lion MK2? Can you upload your finish work, I really like it and want to play that super ms :).

Nanaki
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Still working on it:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3411/starwolves6.jpg

It is possible to add GKTurrets to Motherships (I mainly did this modification to test that), the problem is that the GUI infestructure is not in place to handle them, this means that you cannot equip or unequip them, so you have to not only spawn the mothership with them already equipped, you cannot swap em around as you need it.

The reason why I picked the Lion in particular is that, the Left/right turret mountings always felt like they were meant for a much larger turret. It seems like the developers may have originally intended the Lion to carry GKTurrets, considering how perfectly they fit.

Now the Lion has 2 GKTurrets, 4 GKGuns, 8 Turrets, and 8 Systems.

Rastix
03-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Ok, Looking in DialogTrader1.xml you see the reference of #L_DT1n_msg00.

Looking in DialogTrader1n.loc you can find that value, but its just a string of random numbers:
BFD7DFD2DEDEA4A4A4D7DED4DFA1DFA4DFD3DFDEDFD2DED5DE D4A4D6D3DEA5D2D0A2D0A4A59A7DA7

Is this Hex? Is this the text I am looking for? What's a good way to convert it to English and back?

1.No
2.Yes
3.Using some dev-tool i think

ViralHatred
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Is it possible to model for this game? Was thinking someone could mod the Stone Turtle to have a docking ay on it's belly as an astarte replacement (looks wise)

Rastix
03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
IMDEditor v3 by Tech + 3DMax

ViralHatred
03-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Ug. 3DS Max.

Goblin Wizard
03-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Still working on it:

It is possible to add GKTurrets to Motherships (I mainly did this modification to test that), the problem is that the GUI infestructure is not in place to handle them, this means that you cannot equip or unequip them, so you have to not only spawn the mothership with them already equipped, you cannot swap em around as you need it.

The reason why I picked the Lion in particular is that, the Left/right turret mountings always felt like they were meant for a much larger turret. It seems like the developers may have originally intended the Lion to carry GKTurrets, considering how perfectly they fit.

Now the Lion has 2 GKTurrets, 4 GKGuns, 8 Turrets, and 8 Systems.

Could you describe how to do this?
I'm now trying imd editor but don't know how to find right positions for all these guns.

Nanaki
03-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Could you describe how to do this?
I'm now trying imd editor but don't know how to find right positions for all these guns.

Guesswork. Pretty much you insert in coordinates that you think is the general vicinity of where whatever it is could be (use the X Y Z picture of the Arba that the IMD editor shows you, it really helps!), than you enter ingame and test it out.

Goblin Wizard
03-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Now I'm trying to activate more than 4 turrets but can't do this. If I try to put turret in the 5th slot I have to remove another. Is this the GUI limit you mentioned?
Is it possible to add GKGun to the ship that not has right place to mount it.
Major Caliber turrets - Did you use those from stationary platforms?

Could you upload IMD file for your fully equipped Lion Cruiser, please?

Raziel666
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Can anyone tell me how to add more slots to GUI, because so far nothing i try works. Thanks.

jerryfanfan
03-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Still working on it:

you're right, does look like those mountings were meant for major caliber turrets.

Rastix
03-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Can anyone tell me how to add more slots to GUI, because so far nothing i try works. Thanks.

\Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots\*.ini

Goblin Wizard
03-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I've managed to add major caliber turrets at last. Now I know why devs abandoned this idea. They work exactly like normal turrets but with their range, damage and rotation speed gives massacring firepower. Even 5th generation fighters go down like flies.

This is my Lion MK1_A now (still working on other turrets).

Nanaki
03-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Here you go folks, the IMD file and the configuration file. The recommended stats are:
2x GKTurret
4x GKGun
8x Turret
8x System

If you decide to do something differently, than you will need to modify the ini file (which goes in the textures/carcass/slots directory).

Ashar
03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Im new to this, not done any modding, besides altering the xml files. What do i need to do to use your lovely Liger_Dreadnought, also how do i use the skin http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/95/lioncruisernavyplayer.jpg on it, unless yours already looks like that.

Nanaki
03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Im new to this, not done any modding, besides altering the xml files. What do i need to do to use your lovely Liger_Dreadnought,

You need to add (or modify) a ship in the Carcass.xml file, make sure it points to the proper files. You need to place the IMD file in the Objects directory (should be a ton of other IMDs in there), and you need to place the ini file in the textures/interface/carcass/slots folder. Make sure that your entry to the carcass properly points to both INI and IMD file. I would -highly- recommend you edit a Lion MK2 (The one Trump gives you) since the Liger is basically the same ship, just highly modified.

You will also need an entry in the shipdescriptions, with at least two high-caliber turrets of your choice (you can leave the rest blank). Afterwards, go to the quest script where you get a new mothership, and instead of it being that mothership, change it to your new mothership. Remember to use the Shipdescription name instead of the Carcass name.

also how do i use the skin http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9...navyplayer.jpg on it, unless yours already looks like that.

Mine already looks like that, except the texture is bugged as it was never intended to be used by a Lion MK2. I would fix it myself, except GIMP (the only texture editor I have) cannot read Star Wolves textures properly.

Ashar
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Can anyone tell me how i got about changing the skin on my ship. Ive imported it ok, but have no idea how to go about importing a skin. Ive got a copy of Photoshop CS3, and ive downlaoded the nividia plugins someone mentioned needing

Nanaki
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
You need IMD Editor, go to Page one, the link should be there.

Ashar
03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
hmm, ive already got that, but not sure how to import skin, the skin is in jpeg format, do i need to convert that int oa 3d model or something, are there any tutorials about this anywhere ive missed? thanks for the help btw

Nanaki
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh, you need to convert it to DDS.

Ashar
03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
when selecting dds, theres a load of options, not sure what format to save it as
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/14/73/67/21/dds10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=19&u=14736721)

Nanaki
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I am not sure either, unfortunately.

Ashar
03-22-2010, 02:26 PM
no matter, i was lookign at the textures in photoshop, and it just alters the color density of the image, so i just save with whichever looks best. btw, looking in the carcasses file, which of the lion_cruisers is the one the player gets, none of them refer to _player or _pl0 as most player ships do, i dont want to accidently give it to the ai. of the mk2's there is:
Mothership_Lion_mk2
Mothership_Lion_mk2a
Mothership_Lion_mk2a_vks
Mothership_Lion_mk2_grey
Mothership_Lion_mk2a_grey

Nanaki
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
looking in the carcasses file, which of the lion_cruisers is the one the player gets, none of them refer to _player or _pl0 as most player ships do, i dont want to accidently give it to the ai. of the mk2's there is:

The one Viper gives you is Mothership_Lion, the one Trump gives you is Mothership_Lion_mk2a_vks. Neither are used by the AI in any way, shape, or form.

Ashar
03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
So, if i take the one Trump gives me, i need to change in carcasses under
"Mothership_Lion_mk2a_vks">

<flat_image>Lion_Cruiser_MK2_A</flat_image> to
<flat_image>Liger_Dreadnought</flat_image>

<mapping_name>Lion_Cruiser_MK2_A</mapping_name> to
<mapping_name>Liger_Dreadnought</mapping_name>

and keeping <mesh_name>Lion_Cruiser_MK2_A</mesh_name> as it is, if i guessed right

Nanaki
03-22-2010, 05:04 PM
flat_image stays the same, mesh_name is what changes. Otherwise, you got it right.

Goblin Wizard
03-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I've just adapted a Starhammer model to replace this ugly Astarte tube. Even with the same equipment he is slightly better. Thanks to his skeletal construction turrets have wider field of fire but it's really hard to find good place for main guns and turrets.
Screen shows "mk2" version with 2 main guns (firing forward), 2 main turrets, 4 small turrets and 4 systems (and a little logo on the side;)).

GreyViper
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
This is interesting stuff, didnt know there veven were mods for SW1-2. I do have aquestion is it possible to bring in other moddels from other games, say like Wing Commander 4 Lance a.k.a Dragon, Banshee & Privateers 2 ships Heretic, Icarus?

Goblin Wizard
03-23-2010, 06:01 AM
It's always possible but usually you need to know how to use 3dsmax, photoshop and sometimes other editor to put all things together. Unfortunately, I can't so I'm editing existing models and adding old from SW1,2.

Ashar
03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
grrr, that logo is seriously crappy, ive tried altering it in photoshop, by selecting the area that the logo would be on top of, and replacing the spot in the image where the logo is, cancelling it out, but now for some reason, everytime i try to save the damn thing, i get a cant save due to disk write error, which is odd since i can save it as any other file type :(

right, ive managed to save it as a jpeg, if anyone can convert it back into dds, and test it

http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/14/73/67/21/lion_c10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=20&u=14736721)

Nanaki
03-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Edit: I am going to try to convert it and see if it works.

Ashar
03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
if the logo is a bit off, either mess aroudn with it in jpeg yourself, or i'll try again, at the mo im jsut using the lion_cruiser_grey texture, that looks pretty good to be honest anyway

Is there anyway to change the name of the ship, i treid altering the descriptions of the lion in the m_carcasses.loc file, but even after starting a brand new game, it didnt take affect

BTW, where did you find some GKTurret, ive never seen any high caliber turrets, just wondered where you found some, and what they are called

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 12:29 AM
Lately I have been diving headfirst into scripts. Everything that is running in the background is stored in the 'include' folder. You can actually add and remove files from the include folder, as long as you enter (and remove) the accompanying files from the system.lst file (which has a list of all files loaded into the game).

I learned a bit about random scripts, and now I know how to make and remove randoms. I have been thinking of tryng to port parts of RealMod into Starwolves 3, specifically, the Fleet spawns, but trying to decypher it and impliment it is too difficult for me to handle at the moment (especially since its all in Russian and German, and I do not understand either language). So far, I am thinking of trying to simply adding more random spawns, including capital ships, as well as adding more opposing faction spawns so that we can see more factional conflict.

But my first project involves trying to fix MSF/NESF spawns. In the Specials.scripts file, is the code for all the minion spawns of the game, MSF, NESF, Berserk, and Precursor (Summon NESF, Summon MSF, Summon Berserks, Summon Precursors). The Precursor and Berserk minion scripts work fine, however, the MSF and NESF share the same variables, which means that if you use MSF spawns, than try to use NESF spawns, the NESF will not spawn because the MSF script already took the variables.

I figured the simplest way was to simply give the NESF script variables on its own (changing init_team to init_team3 and local_num to local_num3). This is used in both the Berserk and Precursor scripts, but now the NESF spawn script is completely broken, and I am not quite sure what I did wrong.

BTW, where did you find some GKTurret, ive never seen any high caliber turrets, just wondered where you found some, and what they are called

You can only find them on Platforms in-game, specifically, the platforms located in Hephastus (though they might be found in other platforms found in the game...)

They were never meant to be mountable on mobile ships of any kind, and never meant to be purchased by the player thus you wont find them in shops, and even if you add them I imagine they wont have the proper pictures, descriptions, or anything like that. Hell, you cannot even add slots to the GUI to mount them on your mothership. This is why you have to mount them in shipdescription, because there is no other way to mount them.

Is there anyway to change the name of the ship, i treid altering the descriptions of the lion in the m_carcasses.loc file, but even after starting a brand new game, it didnt take affect

You probably edited the wrong lion. There are like 5-6 lion entries, and only 2 are actually used by the player.

Ashar
03-25-2010, 08:38 AM
about the name changing, i thought i may have gotten the wrong name, but i check the ship in carcasses against the m_carcasses.loc file and they are both the same. The lion ingame mentions something about viper in its description, so i know to look for that in the file. maybe theres another file besides m_carcasses.loc that i need to change. At the mo, ive changed it as follows

#M_Name_Mothership_Lion = Archangel
#M_Hint_Mothership_Lion = Dreadnought|Archangel
#M_SDesc_Mothership_Lion = Dreadnought Archangel
#M_LDesc_Mothership_Lion = Desperate wars require desperate measures, and the development of the Archangel class dreadnought was no exception. It became clear that the Empire had no answer to the Berserker threat. Taking deep scans of Alien vessels, engineers tried to duplicate the designs that gave them their durability and strength. The experiments were less than sucessful. Finally, as losses were threatening to push our forces back into our home systems, engineers were able to produce a hybrid design that had the durability and power of an Alien Cruiser and was still manageable with Human crew and technology. The Archangel combines the firepower of 4 Heavy Cannons and 8 Turrets, with an advanced science bay supporting up to 8 Systems.

BTW, how do you take screenshots in this game, ive tried prinscreen, but when pasting in paint, the screen is just white in a starwolves window

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Modifying that should have worked...

Note that it wont change until you load a save before the ship is spawned: IE, before Viper shows up with it.

Ashar
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
i altered the tug "HM_Queen_pl" to become the lion, and eveything else worked, but it still had the name and description of the lion mk2 and about being a prototype of vipers, even though there was no longer any mention of it in the loc file, plus i started a new game to get the ship, not sure what ive missed

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Perhaps the best solution is to simply add a new line to m_carcasses.loc rather than modify an existing line, that is what I did for the Liger, at least.

PS: Got my script to work! My original script was 100% correct, I just had to zone to a different sector in order for it to work properly in-game (was loading a save to test).

I am going to mess with the Specials.script a bit more, hopefully learning a bit more about the createflights script.

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
You can only find them on Platforms in-game, specifically, the platforms located in Hephastus (though they might be found in other platforms found in the game...)

They were never meant to be mountable on mobile ships of any kind, and never meant to be purchased by the player thus you wont find them in shops, and even if you add them I imagine they wont have the proper pictures, descriptions, or anything like that. Hell, you cannot even add slots to the GUI to mount them on your mothership. This is why you have to mount them in shipdescription, because there is no other way to mount them.

You can add GKTurrets to shops, GUI, can give them proper names etc. I've made fully manageable mothership with 2 GKGuns, 2 GKTurrets, 5 Turrets and 5 Systems (look at my Star Hammer on the previous page). This is hardcoded limit for guns. I didn't try more systems but I think it's possible to add more. GKTurrets and GKGuns have the same icons. They've never meant to be manageable so they have no descriptions but you can add your own.
GUI can handle up to 24 slots.

PS: Got my script to work! My original script was 100% correct, I just had to zone to a different sector in order for it to work properly in-game (was loading a save to test).

I am going to mess with the Specials.script a bit more, hopefully learning a bit more about the createflights script.

YES! This is I was looking for. I've tried making spawning script but failed. Please, give us some more details.

BTW I've made a script that makes all motherships, rare fighters and equipment (generally everything) buyable. Now I'm tweaking it a bit. You can easily buy and fly even Emperor's Battleship :grin:

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
You can add GKTurrets to shops, GUI, can give them proper names etc. I've made fully manageable mothership with 2 GKGuns, 2 GKTurrets, 5 Turrets and 5 Systems (look at my Star Hammer on the previous page). This is hardcoded limit for guns. I didn't try more systems but I think it's possible to add more. GKTurrets and GKGuns have the same icons. They've never meant to be manageable so they have no descriptions but you can add your own.
GUI can handle up to 24 slots.

GUI can probably handle more than 24, but than it looks just plain ugly (and there might be other issues too). 20 is the maximum it can handle while still looking okay (if a bit cramped).

There is no hard-coded limit for guns, though, as long as the IMD file is configured properly. My Liger Cruiser has 2 GKTurrets, 4 GKGuns, 8 Turrets, 8 Systems.

YES! This is I was looking for. I've tried making spawning script but failed. Please, give us some more details.

BTW I've made a script that makes all motherships, rare fighters and equipment (generally everything) buyable. Now I'm tweaking it a bit. You can easily buy and fly even Emperor's Battleship

You can make motherships buyable? I always thought that the game would break if you were able to buy and sell motherships. You should share some details on that.

The question is how do you want your fighters to spawn? Through a Perk? Through a random event? Right now I am working on the perk spawns. From what I gathered, there are four spawn seperate spawn scripts that all work seperately. It might be possible to add additional spawn script functions (that will be my next project), but I have not attempted to do so.

So far, what I have done is modify the script so that MSF and NESF spawns can be used at once (previously, using one disables use of the other), which was more of a bugfix than a modification of any kind. I just recently added a level to all of the spawns (level 4 MSF spawn, level 4 NESF spawn, level 5 Berserk spawn, oddly enough there was already an unused level 4 Precursor spawn too...), which was successful as well. My third project with Specials.script is to add a completely new spawn script, which I have only just started.

I will let you know how my attempt to add a completely new spawn script goes. Afterwards, I might try modifying location scripts and the create_flight script.

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
This is what I got... not sure why its not working for you...

<short_name>#M_Name_Mothership_Liger</short_name>
<hint>#M_Hint_Mothership_Liger</hint>
<short_desc>#M_SDesc_Mothership_Liger</short_desc>
<long_desc>#M_LDesc_Mothership_Liger</long_desc>

#M_Name_Mothership_Liger = Liger
#M_Hint_Mothership_Liger = Dreadnought|Liger
#M_SDesc_Mothership_Liger = Dreadnought Liger
#M_LDesc_Mothership_Liger = While the Lion MK3 was in development, the Old Empire decided to push the shrinking Lion as a Stone Arrow replacement while developing a heavier version of the current Lion MK2 to replace the aging Stalingrad Battleship. The end result was the Liger Dreadnought, while it has the outward visual appearance of a Lion Cruiser, it is slower, heavier and far more heavily armored and armed. The Liger possesses the latest in drive and reactor technologies, allowing it to achieve much higher maximum speeds than was possible with the Stalingrad. It was also given a massive firepower improvement with the addition of four turrets and four heavy guns, allowing it to surpass any capital ship in direct combat. Two of these heavy guns were designed to be on turreted platforms bolted to the side of the ship. Unfortunately, the large amount of high-quality material and experimental components required to construct even one vessel was staggering, and as a result the Old Empire decided not to incorporate the Liger into the fleet. Most of the resources and funds originally allocated towards the Liger project would eventually find their way to New Restoration. The prototype itself, still missing its turrets, main guns, and many of its systems, was placed into mothball.

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
There is no hard-coded limit for guns, though, as long as the IMD file is configured properly. My Liger Cruiser has 2 GKTurrets, 4 GKGuns, 8 Turrets, 8 Systems.
I was talking about fully manageable ship (all weapons and systems changeable through the trade station menu). Your Cruiser has all of these but only in "imd" file. I can't see GKTurrets in GUI and only 2 GKGuns and 5 Turrets slots work. This is the limit I metioned. If you want to add GKTurret to the GUI you should place slot like below in the "ini" file:

[slot14]
type=TurretGK
refpoint=Left_Side
image_coord=420 260
text_coord=500 240
text_aligment=RIGHT

This is one of the guns I've fitted into my Star Hammer.
Turrets that can be fitted into this slot have the first letter "T" so if "LGK3" stays for Musket, "TLGK3" stays for turret version of Musket.

You can make motherships buyable? I always thought that the game would break if you were able to buy and sell motherships. You should share some details on that.

The first I've got the idea was when after rescuing Ternie I saw my Astarte changed into another mothership (I don't remember exactly which cuz I've moded that quest so many times ;)). After a little research I've ended with these:

function New_Mothership_Rhino()
NewFlight("myGroup_1", "nm", "Mothership_corporate_pl1", "BasePilot", mothership:GetPosition() + Vector3(0, 0, -70), Vector3(0, 0, 1));
mothership_old = mothership;
mothership = SetPlayerMotherShip(ship_nm_1);
end;

This is core function that change your actual mothership into (in this case) Rhino and is placed in "DockStation.script". Why there? Because all shopping work through the Maintenance Station menu. You buy things like you buy AI pilots for mothership (kind of). Maintenance Stations are generally a little quests so functions that work with quests work with them too.
There are much more changes to get whole thing working. I'm planning to release beta version of my mod this weekend so you will see all modifications.

The question is how do you want your fighters to spawn? Through a Perk? Through a random event?

I'd like to add a spawn of enemy ships like in Rescue Ternie quest. When you flying to the gate Greys show up from nowhere and attacks you immediately. This what I'd like to get.

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately, my third experiment was not successful. The game uses its own internal hardcoded XML Schema files which cannot be edited, so adding new special abilities is out of the question.

I was talking about fully manageable ship (all weapons and systems changeable through the trade station menu).

Yes, it is doable, I have done it. I have a fully managable Lion with 10 Turrets, 6 systems, and 4 GKGuns (this is for my Liger version without the GKTurrets)

I'd like to add a spawn of enemy ships like in Rescue Ternie quest. When you flying to the gate Greys show up from nowhere and attacks you immediately. This what I'd like to get.

What exactly is going wrong?

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, my third experiment was not successful. The game uses its own internal hardcoded XML Schema files which cannot be edited, so adding new special abilities is out of the question.

Yes, it is doable, I have done it. I have a fully managable Lion with 10 Turrets, 6 systems, and 4 GKGuns (this is for my Liger version without the GKTurrets)

Please, let me know how !!!

What exactly is going wrong?

This is the problem - nothing. no CTD, no errors. Simply nothing. I've tried something like this:

function New_Gray_Attack()
NewGreyFlight("Grey_Group", "greyA1", mothership:GetPosition()+Vector3(60, 5, 0), 1, 17, Vector3(-1, 0, 0));
countf = flight_greyA1:GetPilotCount();
for i=0,countf,1 do
pilot_tmp = flight_greyA1:GetPilotByNumber(i);
ship_tmp = pilot_tmp:GetShip();
ship_tmp: PlayFX("Cloak Out.shfx");
end;
NewGreyFlight("Grey_Group", "greyA2", mothership:GetPosition()+Vector3(0, 5, -70), 1, 15, Vector3(0, 0, 1));
countf = flight_greyA2:GetPilotCount();
for i=0,countf,1 do
pilot_tmp = flight_greyA2:GetPilotByNumber(i);
end;
NewGreyFlight("Grey_Group", "greyA3", mothership:GetPosition()+Vector3(-40, 5, 65), 1, 15, Vector3(0.5, 0, -0.5));
countf = flight_greyA3:GetPilotCount();
for i=0,countf,1 do
pilot_tmp = flight_greyA3:GetPilotByNumber(i);
end;
end;

I've added group declaration in region "activate.script" file too. I want this function to be executed by quest dialog. Could you post your working function and other necessary changes?

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Please, let me know how !!!

The trickiest part is matching the references... Each turret, GKGun, and GKTurret has a reference, each reference MUST be unique, and than match the references to the INI. For example, the 'down_left' reference in the IMD file must match to the 'down_left' reference in the INI file.

This is the problem - nothing. no CTD, no errors. Simply nothing. I've tried something like this:

I will look through it and ponder, I tend to prefer to review code slowly and carefully. Best way to debug it.

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 08:59 PM
The trickiest part is matching the references... Each turret, GKGun, and GKTurret has a reference, each reference MUST be unique, and than match the references to the INI. For example, the 'down_left' reference in the IMD file must match to the 'down_left' reference in the INI file.
I know that and I make each unique but it doesn't help. Could you upload your ship files, PLEASE!!! I can check them myself and find what I'm doing wrong.

I will look through it and ponder, I tend to prefer to review code slowly and carefully. Best way to debug it.

I've copied this function from mission 13c file SavingFriend_c_XT24.script. Maybe you check there and find out how to implement similar function.
Other problem may be activation of this function during dialog. I would like that dialog will close immediately after player choose the answer and ships will pop up.

Below fully working mothership buying function with price check. Price is set to 666 credits;) and must be set separately for each ship here. Script doesn't check the price in carcasses.xml. I've changed Elio maintenance station so portal reactivation is set for 4 portals there.

function DialogR_buy_Rhino()
local N=GetPlayerCredits();
if (N>=666) then
NewFlight("myGroup_5", "nm", "Mothership_corporate_pl1", "BasePilot", mothership:GetPosition() + Vector3(0, 0, -70), Vector3(0, 0, 1));
SubPlayerCredits(666);
PortalTrigger_PORTAL_R:SetObject(mothership);
PortalTrigger_PORTAL_L:SetObject(mothership);
PortalTrigger_PORTAL_U:SetObject(mothership);
PortalTrigger_PORTAL_D:SetObject(mothership);
PortalsActivate_Action();
GetShipName(mothership);
CreateTradeStationDocking(TRADE_STATION,mothership );
CreateRepairStationDocking(STO_Station,mothership, 140,5);
OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBuy",7);
else
OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBuyFail",7);
end;
end;

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I know that and I make each unique but it doesn't help. Could you upload your ship files, PLEASE!!! I can check them myself and find what I'm doing wrong.

Go a few pages back, I uploaded the Liger a few days ago actually ;3

I've copied this function from mission 13c file SavingFriend_c_XT24.script. Maybe you check there and find out how to implement similar function.

Thanks... I will take a peek.

Although, if you are starting off, I recommend adding a script closer to the beginning of the game so it is much easier to test.

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Go a few pages back, I uploaded the Liger a few days ago actually ;3

I've just done it. When I try to put 6th turret into slot I get this info "This device cannot be installed into this socket". First five - no problem. What's going on?

Although, if you are starting off, I recommend adding a script closer to the beginning of the game so it is much easier to test.
This is not a problem. All you need is just reenter the system so good save is enough.

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I've just done it. When I try to put 6th turret into slot I get this info "This device cannot be installed into this socket". First five - no problem. What's going on?

Its doing that with the Liger?

Perhaps collission detection being a little fidgety... I do know that its hard to get things in the proper places when you squeeze the slots that close together. Try double-clicking on the turrets in your inventory, they should automatically go to the first available slot.

Rastix
03-25-2010, 09:38 PM

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 09:40 PM
What are you trying to achieve exactly?

I was trying to add a fifth Summon ability. There are currently four, SummonNavy, SummonKfni, SummonBerserk, and SummonPrec.

The problem with this is that for every new special ability you add into the game, you have to add it to the appropriate XMLSchema files (allspecials.xsd and specials.xsd), however, I learned that the game uses its own internal version of the XMLSchema files which cannot be accessed.

Goblin Wizard
03-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Its doing that with the Liger?

Perhaps collission detection being a little fidgety... I do know that its hard to get things in the proper places when you squeeze the slots that close together. Try double-clicking on the turrets in your inventory, they should automatically go to the first available slot.

Forget it. I feel like stupid. I've forgot about limits in carcasses.xml. Sorry to bother you

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Forget it. I feel like stupid. I've forgot about limits in carcasses.xml. Sorry to bother you

I have done worse mistakes!

Rastix
03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I was trying to add a fifth Summon ability. There are currently four, SummonNavy, SummonKfni, SummonBerserk, and SummonPrec.

Yep, it's hardcoded. But you can replace existing abilities by your own:)

Nanaki
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep, it's hardcoded. But you can replace existing abilities by your own:)

If XMLSchema was not hardcoded, than I could have actually pulled it off. With exception of that it worked perfectly.

Actually, you can get around things by adding levels to abilities. For example, I added a level '5' to the Berserk spawn that summons 6 Elite berserk fighters, and made a new special ability for it. This allows me to add different summons without affecting the other character's abilities.

Lonck
03-26-2010, 05:11 AM
do I need to start new game if I make changes? I tried to change Mastiff's HP but doesn't work. Also how can I add missiles to the motherships? an erlier post by Nanaki says something about models. Where are they located?

Goblin Wizard
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
If you want to see changes on Mastiff (or any other ship) you need to find save before you get it. In this case find save with pirate version mastiff and go to the Elio for aerogrphy quest.
I never tried missile lunchers on mothership so I don't know if they work.
Model files are here ..\Data\OBJECT\*.imd. You need a IMDeditor (http://freenet-homepage.de/allaway/star_wolves/download/IMDeditor_v3.exe) to change things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have another problem:

Now buying code looks like below and works ok

function _buy_ms(nameMS)
local _tab_MS = {
{"Starhammer_0",1000},
{"Mothership_uel_pl1",2000},
{"Mothership_Lion_pl1",3000}};

local costMS = 0;
for i, sh in _tab_MS do
if (sh[1] == nameMS) then costMS=sh[2];
end;
end;
if (costMS == 0) then return FALSE;
end;

if (N>=costMS) then

NewFlight("myGroup_1", "nm", GetShipName(nameMS), "BasePilot", mothership:GetPosition() + Vector3(0, 0, -70), Vector3(0, 0, 1));
GetShipName(mothership);
SubPlayerCredits(costMS);

OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBought",7);
else
OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBoughtFail",7);
end;
end;
but you can buy only one mothership. If you try to buy second you get CTD. It is caused by group declaration "myGroup_1". Separate group must be attached to each mothership so I changed code slightly (added 3rd column to table) and now looks like this:

function _buy_ms(nameMS)
local _tab_MS = {
{"Starhammer_0",1000,"myGroup_1"},
{"Mothership_uel_pl1",2000,"myGroup_2"},
{"Mothership_Lion_pl1",3000,"myGroup_3"}};

local costMS = 0;
for i, sh in _tab_MS do
if (sh[1] == nameMS) then costMS=sh[2];
end;
if (sh[1] == nameMS) then nameG=sh[3];
end;
end;
if (costMS == 0) then return FALSE;
end;

if (N>=costMS) then

NewFlight( GetGroupName(nameG), "nm", GetShipName(nameMS), "BasePilot", mothership:GetPosition() + Vector3(0, 0, -70), Vector3(0, 0, 1));
GetShipName(mothership);
SubPlayerCredits(costMS);

OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBought",7);
else
OutputToScreenLog("#UI_MothershipBoughtFail",7);
end;
end;
but unfortunately it doesn't work. No errors and no visible effects. Maybe someone could check the code and find out what's wrong?

Nanaki
03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I am not sure myself, but, I do not see where ship_nm_1 is defined... You are probably better at this than I am, though, so I could be completely clueless.

In other news, I have successfully implimented summoning fleets to the specials.script. With my test script 'MSF Summon 4', you can summon 1 squadron of fighters, 1 squadron of bombers, and 1 Stalingrad-class Battleship.

Lonck
03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
where can we change the perks properties like accuracy and stuff?

Nanaki
03-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Changing what a perk is done is dependant on the perk itself. Most of the pilot/gunnery/system perk attributes can be found in the data/script/ai/perkdispatcher.script file...

In other news, I have squeezed out all the knowlege I can out of the specials.script, now I am currently working on all Location scripts.

My first mod project is to double the amount of random spawns in all sectors. This is a simple affair, mostly just time-consuming.

My second mod project is to introduce actual civil war, Old Empire and New Empire elements fighting in various sectors (odd how there is no fighting for what is supposedly a 'war'). So far, my plan is that all Old Emipre sectors that get taken over by the New Empire later in the game will have New Empire ships spawning in them. My plan is to also have some boarder New Empire sectors get the occasional Old Empire incursion as well. May also adjust the random spawns on a per-system basis, such as introducing Patrol spawns to Kruger (Kruger is currently a loot bonanza because nothing but traders spawn, in a system crawling with pirates.)

My third mod project after that is... I have not decided yet.

Lonck
03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
wheres the Alien_Dreadnought_0's ini? I want to make the dreadnought my mothership but can't seem to find the .ini in the TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots folder. Is it somewhere else? I will try and just add components to shipdescription.xml in the meantime if no .ini exists. Also how are the .ini connected to the ship? How does the game decide which one to use? Also when I change ship HP and shields it doesn't show when I load a saved game but when I change the mesh it shows in game. Is there a way to make them work? If not where are the scripts that give the various motherships? I could change the scripts to give me the same ship throughout the game.

Nanaki
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, I accomplished both my Modding goals, and so far the results have been good. Systems are a LOT more active, I also added NESF incursions in seven MSF systems, and NESF ships spawn regularly and engage with MSF patrols. Overall, it works beautifully.

wheres the Alien_Dreadnought_0's ini?

Ships that are not meant to be controlled by the player, such as the Stone Arrow, Alien Dreadnought, and Stalingrad Battleship will have no INI and their IMD file will be missing a lot of needed data. I highly recommend not using these ships unless you are well versed in creating INIs and modding IMD files.

Also how are the .ini connected to the ship? How does the game decide which one to use?

You know when you click on a ship while docked, where it shows all the ship components and allows you to add/remove components? Thats what the INI handles.

Also when I change ship HP and shields it doesn't show when I load a saved game but when I change the mesh it shows in game.

I suggest you load a save before you acquire a certain mothership. Once a ship is spawned, its stats are static. The only way you can change it is by loading a save before that ship spawns.

If not where are the scripts that give the various motherships? I could change the scripts to give me the same ship throughout the game.

They are quest scripts (look in the quest folder). Goblin Wizard was working on a script that could allow you to purchase whatever motherships you want, but im not sure if that went anywhere actually.

Goblin Wizard
03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
They are quest scripts (look in the quest folder). Goblin Wizard was working on a script that could allow you to purchase whatever motherships you want, but im not sure if that went anywhere actually.

This script is 100% done. Now I'm working on bringing back random missions from SW2. I'd like to release these two parts together.

Nanaki
03-29-2010, 05:09 PM
This script is 100% done. Now I'm working on bringing back random missions from SW2. I'd like to release these two parts together.

Not sure if it is possible to do that, most of the code for dynamicmissions is intact, but its likely that whatever they did to disable it is hardcoded, but you probably should look at the outofmission.script file in the include folder. The developers probably intended these to replace the SW2 random missions, but the problem is that these missions happen so damn rarely (with exception of the pirate asking for bribes) that most people do not even notice them.

wmaynard80
03-30-2010, 04:41 AM
could you please upload the files for you liger ship all ready edited please,ive tried to do them on my own but ive seemed to have messed up somewhere.thank you for the great work on this game. ive edited the quest file to give it to me when you get the mothership from ternie but it crashes there.i need the quest file and the carcus file and ship description files please and thanks again.

Nanaki
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
ive edited the quest file to give it to me when you get the mothership from ternie but it crashes there.

You are better off just changing the Mastiff to the Liger instead of messing around with the Quest files, that is what I did at least.

Make sure you get the non-pirate Mastiff. Ternie initially gives you the Pirate mastiff, but you exchange it for the non-pirate version shortly afterwards.

Goblin Wizard
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I've got a problem. I've created new sector with stations, linked him .. etc. Everything works good except controls. After entering sector no keyboard shortcuts are active and mouse doesn't work except left clicking on the buttons. Any idea how to fix it?

wmaynard80
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
could you show me what the files should look like to change the mastiff to the liger please.so i wont make mistake again

Goblin Wizard
03-30-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't know what exactly you edited but look into file ..\Data\Scripts\Quests\mission_4_1\PirateBase_w_me rc.script OR (depending on your quest path) ..\Data\Scripts\Quests\mission_4_2\PirateBase_w_pi rs.script. Search for text "Arba_pl1". This is name (linked to shipdescriptions.xml) of the pirate version of Mastiff. You can change it to any other ship that exist in shipdescriptions.xml. If ship doesn't exist there you can create it by copy/paste of any other ship with appropriate change of the <carcass> name which is linked to the carcasses.xml. And at last in carcasses.xml you should change <mesh_name> of the appropriate ship to the name of the IMD file (in this case Liger_Dreadnought) and <mapping_name> to the name of the INI file (Liger_Dreadnought too).

Ufff. I hope you understand me. My english is far from being perfect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I should warn you that there are scripts in some quests that check what ship are you flying (mostly in the same quests that change your mothership). If you will see animation with text something like "World is unfair. Game Over" it will be probably caused by your new ship. You can change it too but its not so easy to find where.

Nanaki
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Changing the pirate mastiff is mostly worthless though, as I said before, it gets changed out to a non-pirated version very quickly.

Goblin Wizard
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Changing the pirate mastiff is mostly worthless though, as I said before, it gets changed out to a non-pirated version very quickly.
It was my first thought too but my little tutorial give the general idea for other ships changing so it should be useful.
-----------------------------------------------------------
EDIT I've got a problem. I've created new sector with stations, linked him .. etc. Everything works good except controls. After entering sector no keyboard shortcuts are active and mouse doesn't work except left clicking on the buttons. Any idea how to fix it?

Yeah! Lack of the splash dds caused this. Now I have my GoblinWorld fully working. No more buying motherships at maintenance stations. You miserable humans, you will have to come to my world buhahahaha.:cool:

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 04:54 AM
sorry for the very long post but this is the logfile im getting when game crashes i went back through the files as u said and still im not doing something right sorry for all the hassle but this is my first time trying to mod a game ,so i do appreciate all the help and patience.

Log started: 00:48:50, Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Engine version: 1.11 build 283.2305

(00:48:50) (INFO) Root::InitObjects()
(00:48:50) (INFO) Init texture manager
(00:48:50) (INFO) Init Mesh manager
(00:48:50) (INFO) Init material manager
(00:48:50) (INFO) Root::InitObjects() OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) Game::InitApplication()
(00:48:50) (INFO) STARTED 3D system INIT
(00:48:50) (INFO) <Used HAL device>
(00:48:50) (INFO) D3D9_RenderKernel::Init: MultiSampleType = NONE
(00:48:50) (INFO) Primary surface format: PIXELFORMAT_XRGB_8888
(00:48:50) (INFO) Primary surface dimension: 1024 x 768
(00:48:50) (INFO) Set texture default format to: PIXELFORMAT_RGB_888, PIXELFORMAT_ARGB_8888
(00:48:50) (INFO) D3D9_RenderKernel::Init: MultiSampleQuality = 0
(00:48:50) (INFO) Z-Buffer with PIXELFORMAT_Z24S8 created
(00:48:50) (INFO) Direct3DDevice9->SetViewport ok.
(00:48:50) (INFO) Max Anisotropy = 16
(00:48:50) (INFO) Not used Anisotropy
(00:48:50) (INFO) Alpha-Testing State enabled
(00:48:50) (INFO) Hard MaxActiveLights = 8
(00:48:50) (INFO) Used MaxActiveLights = 8
(00:48:50) (INFO) ALPHABLEND= source: 0x3FFF, dest: 0x3FFF
(00:48:50) (INFO) TEXTUREFILTER= 0x3030700

(00:48:50) (INFO) COMPLETE 3D System INIT

(00:48:50) (INFO) Starting InitWorld()
(00:48:50) (INFO) InitWorld: Loading sound...
(00:48:50) (INFO) InitWorld: loading sound ok
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIInit
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::Init()
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::Init() OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::CreateSystemWindows()
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::CreateConsole()
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::CreateConsole() OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIApplication::CreateSystemWindows() OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) GUIInit OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) RegisterActions OK
(00:48:50) (INFO) Root::GetMouseControl().ChangeFullscreen() OK
(00:48:51) (INFO) InitScene() OK
(00:48:51) (INFO) InitWorld() Complete
(00:48:51) (INFO) Game::InitApplication() OK
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\MapInitialization.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/system.lst
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/vector3.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/shipFormation.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_TransformResult.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Attack.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_AttackFrontal.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Defend.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Eject.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/CalculatePilotSkills.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_RescuePodDestruction.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/JamRocket.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/mshipHangarDispatcher.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/escortDispatcher.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/group_formation.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/perkDispatcher.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Specials.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/PortalInterface.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/ShipPoisoning.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/FloodTradeStations.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/create_flight_2.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Create_clouds.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/LevelUp.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/PilotProperties.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/ObjectInfo.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/NextTutorialStep.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Stocks.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MotherShipDeadMovie.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MotherShipDeadAction.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DockStation.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomObjects.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/ObjectList.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/TeleportingStuff.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Recruits.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/CostOfPirates.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DeclareRelations.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/NewTriggers.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomContacts.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomFmerc.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/OutOfMission.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Respawn.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DefStation.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MineField.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Anomalies.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RespawnProg.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/PlayLists.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\level.lst
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\coordinates.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\declare.script
(00:48:55) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\objects.script
(00:48:58) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\movie.script
(00:48:58) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Menu\triggers.script
[ScriptSystem] Begining
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\MapInitialization.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/system.lst
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/vector3.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/shipFormation.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_TransformResult.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Attack.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_AttackFrontal.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Defend.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_Eject.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/CalculatePilotSkills.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Case_RescuePodDestruction.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/JamRocket.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/mshipHangarDispatcher.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/escortDispatcher.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/group_formation.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/perkDispatcher.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/Specials.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/PortalInterface.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/AI/ShipPoisoning.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/FloodTradeStations.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/create_flight_2.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Create_clouds.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/LevelUp.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/PilotProperties.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/ObjectInfo.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/NextTutorialStep.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Stocks.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MotherShipDeadMovie.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MotherShipDeadAction.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DockStation.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomObjects.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/ObjectList.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/TeleportingStuff.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Recruits.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/CostOfPirates.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DeclareRelations.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/NewTriggers.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomContacts.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RandomFmerc.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/OutOfMission.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Respawn.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/DefStation.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/MineField.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/Anomalies.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/RespawnProg.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA/Scripts/include/PlayLists.script
(00:49:15) (INFO) LoadFromStream_Enviroment: result: Ok!
(00:49:15) (INFO) LoadFromStream_CameraParams: result: Ok!
(00:49:15) (INFO) LoadFromStream_Map: result: Ok!
(00:49:15) (INFO) LoadFromStream_MapSelector: result: Ok!
(00:49:19) (INFO) Current Difficulty level is:NORMAL
(00:49:19) (INFO) LoadFromStream_TeamManager: result: Ok!
(00:49:19) (INFO) LoadFromStream_SceneStuff: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_Script: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_Diplomacy: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_QuestManager: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_GameInterface: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_MusicPlayList: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_LocationManager: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_TradeSystem: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_QuestManager2: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_PortalManager: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) LoadFromStream_RecruitManager: result: Ok!
(00:49:20) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Locations\ahilles\functions.script
(00:49:20) (INFO) ExecuteScriptFile - DATA\Scripts\Quests\MISSION_4_1\PIRATEBASE_W_MERC. script
(00:51:48) (INFO) RocketCarcass('df_m')::Update - seeker not exists

[EXCEPTION] 0x0062145b EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.)
[EXCEPTION] [INFO] Memory Usage = 109.144531 Mb
[EXCEPTION] [INFO] heapchk return = -2 HEAP Ok

Goblin Wizard
03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
4th line form the bottom - if I understand correctly you changed something in rockets.xml. Seeker is probably type of seeking warhead that not exist. All types of warheads must be defined in Rockets.xsd.
I advise you to make a fresh install and start modifying ship from the scratch. Tracking all your previous mistakes may be time consuming.

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 05:27 AM
heres the three files if it would be easier for you to look at what i have done to them ,once again thanks for the help
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32MXCHPL

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 05:31 AM
no thats the weird thing i have only edited the three files that yall said to edit the carcasses.xml shipdescription.xml and quest.xml ive upload them if you could take a look at them

Lonck
03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
you forgot to place the Liger_Dreadnought.IMD in the appropriate folder? or the Liger_Dreadnought.ini? .ini goes to Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots
and .imd goes to \Data\OBJECT. Also you don't need to change the quest.xml.

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
no i did put both files in the right spot ,just double checked ,and sorry i did not edit the quest.xml i edited the quest.script for the mission that gives the mothership from ternie,,so i have no idea what i have done wrong ,

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
in the carcass file what is the right name to look for to change the 2nd arba you get to the liger,,,,,,,,the clean arba not the pirate version because i think maybe i might have changed the wrong one

Nanaki
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, my result has been a huge success, ships now happily populate most sectors. Unfortunately, my addition of NESF incursions in seven sectors have not produced the desired results.

I am contemplating attempting to import the spawn and fleet scripts from the Star Wolves 2 mod 'Real SW2'

in the carcass file what is the right name to look for to change the 2nd arba you get to the liger,,,,,,,,the clean arba not the pirate version because i think maybe i might have changed the wrong one

mothership_arba

wmaynard80
03-31-2010, 12:55 PM
pk thanks also what is the mothership_arba name in the ship description file ,not the pirate one but the other one thanks for all the help and understanding

jerryfanfan
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Slightly off topic. I was looking through the XML files today, and found a DynamicMissions.xml. Looks like it's supposed to be replayable random missions that never got implemented.

Edit: I think I have once gotten a random mission to hunt down some pirate, but the game never pointed out where the guy was that I was supposed to kill, and I finished the game without ever completing it.

Nanaki
03-31-2010, 02:58 PM
pk thanks also what is the mothership_arba name in the ship description file ,not the pirate one but the other one thanks for all the help and understanding

Just do a search for mothership_arba in the shipdescriptions file...

Slightly off topic. I was looking through the XML files today, and found a DynamicMissions.xml. Looks like it's supposed to be replayable random missions that never got implemented.

That is just leftover code from the replayable random missions that were in Starwolves 2. Starwolves 2 had it, but for some bizzare reason they took it out from Starwolves 3. Donno why... perhaps it had some major bugs (i imagine it was probably telling people to go to off-limits sectors) and the developers figured it would be easier to remove completely than to fix.

Edit: I think I have once gotten a random mission to hunt down some pirate, but the game never pointed out where the guy was that I was supposed to kill, and I finished the game without ever completing it.

Look in the same sector you got the mission, you should see a target marker which should indicate where your target is at.

wmaynard80
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
thanks for all the help..i found my problem and now works great.

wmaynard80
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
heu goblin when u gonna release your mod youve been working on.

Goblin Wizard
04-02-2010, 01:59 PM
sure. not enough time lately but expect beta next week. I'm still exploring possibilities, trying to add new things and shorten code. So much left to do.

Nanaki
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
How did adding new slots for fighters/pilots go? Never knew you could even edit the GUI.

Goblin Wizard
04-03-2010, 01:41 PM
It seems that I overestimated my skills. Adding new hangar slots is easy. Adding new pilots needs lot of changes in many files but it isn't too complicated. Unfortunately, pilot limit seems fixed in exe. This is the main problem because when you hire new pilots at the start of the game they will probably cause CTD when the storyline pilots will come near the end of the game.
The solution is easy but unsatisfying (for me) . You will have to fire some pilots before you get over six (CTD) during storyline.
If you have another idea how to avoid pilot limit let me know.

Nanaki
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I do not have any, in fact, I thought it was not possible to add more pilots... Unfortunately.

Mlody
04-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone, i have one simple question which one of IMD files contains repainted mastiff?

Nanaki
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone, i have one simple question which one of IMD files contains repainted mastiff?

arba_base_player.imd

Nanaki
04-06-2010, 11:05 PM
If you are adding any new ships to a game, I found out the hard way that you must start a new game in order for certain script commands to see recently added ships. I am pulling my hair out because I created a little ship known as the Azure Stormcrow, 4th generation, 3 systems, 2 guns, 1 missile, and it refuses to appear in trade stations or as convoy loot.

wmaynard80
04-08-2010, 01:55 AM
hey goblin hows it going with your mod it really sounds awesome

Goblin Wizard
04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Just check here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14281)

Goblin Wizard
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Pilots can have different conditions like: "IsInBase", "IsBasePilot". One of these conditions is "IsCanSayReplica". I can't get to know what this condition means. I'm trying to finish my pilot script and I need it to check all possible pilot states. HELP!!!

Nanaki
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Lookie lookie what I found:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.starrover.ru/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D16%26t%3D100&ei=o6nNS9_lIpP49ATzmJCrDw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAssotiateTrigger%26hl%3Den

Edit: Aw crap, that forum does not allow you to link to them...

Trucidation
05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
If you are adding any new ships to a game, I found out the hard way that you must start a new game in order for certain script commands to see recently added ships. I am pulling my hair out because I created a little ship known as the Azure Stormcrow, 4th generation, 3 systems, 2 guns, 1 missile, and it refuses to appear in trade stations or as convoy loot.
I could be wrong, but from observing what ships the Templars sell me in Charon, I noticed I always get the same ships if I load from a save just outside the station. But if I load a save from outside Charon (i.e. Kronos) and not having entered Charon before, I can see different ship types on sale if I reload several times.

Loot also appears to behave this way, I'm trying to get the Star Hammer Memorial to drop me Precursor guns. If I reload from a save just before I blow it up, I always get the same crap (just in different quantity). It appears that I need to load from a save before I jump into the Precursor System in order to make it drop differently. (Most of the time it just drops alien stuff though and it's driving me nuts lol -_-).

Edit: Forgot to post what I wanted to reply originally, have you tried jumping to a new system you've never been in before in that savegame, and seeing if your new items are being sold there?

Nanaki
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
As far as the Charon bit goes, I noticed that if you exit the Charon system, save, than load that save and enter back into Charon, the Templar ship list will be randomized again.

Edit: Forgot to post what I wanted to reply originally, have you tried jumping to a new system you've never been in before in that savegame, and seeing if your new items are being sold there?

Standard operating procedure for me to change systems when testing scripts.

Cheator
05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi
How can i replace the models of the motherships you recieve?
And also, how can i change their names and stats?

Goblin Wizard
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I tried to check the Nanaki's idea (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=161154&postcount=38) and this is what I've got.
The first, you probably noticed, is GUI limit. Each pilot has 5 wingmens but even 3 full teams is too much. Others are:
- additional pilots take place of possible storyline pilots. First 6 pilots are showed, others exist only in memory.
- after docked, you can only lunch first 6 pilots.
- when docking, if all 6 hangar slots are occupied something bad happens. It's hard to describe but it's not CTD.
- When jumping through the gate... don't ask;)

These pilots have full functionality of the regular storyline pilots but only until docked. You can even give them perk tree.

Conclusion: All problems come from GUI limit. Engine can handle much more than 6 pilots and 6 hangar slots. You can edit all parts of the GUI except this damn 6 pilots cap.

Because all of these (and probably other) problems I'll stick with the idea of adding pilots in a way as summon perks work. This method has less functionality but causes much less problems.

Trucidation
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Goblin Wizard, is it possible to somehow assign skill trees to summoned pilots? This will allow them to have an upgrade path, without requiring the summoner pilot to have multiple summon skills.

I guess this depends on the flexibility of the summon skill.

SpiritWolf448
05-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Salutations, everybody. Sorry to churn in just like that, but I recently aquired Star Wolves 1 from gog.com, and after completing the campaign twice, I am now looking into the modding capacities this game has. As far as I am aware so far, modding ships requires a tool called IMD-Editor or somesuch.

Since the linked homepage ( http://freenet-homepage.de/allaway/star_wolves/index_english.html ) does not work anymore and Google doesn't really produce any usable results (but hey, maybe my search terms are just a tad off), would anybody around here know another place where one could aquire that tool and maybe read up on modding a little more?

Cheerio and best regards,

SpiritWolf448
(who's now hoping SW2 and 3 will make an appearance on GOG as well)

Goblin Wizard
05-30-2010, 02:07 PM
You can attach skill tree to any pilot you want but if pilot is not directly controlled by you - you don't have access to his skill tree. You can probably make him work like Bryna & KT (teaching new perks by dialog). It's acceptable for one pilot but if you will have to do this for several pilots it becomes boring and irritating.
Other problems:
1. pilots summoned via perk act like mercenaries. They disappear after jump and don't have their progress saved. I can make another perk which will save their perks and exp points but it's a lot of effort.
2. Unlike your storyline pilots they not always end in rescue pod after ship being destroyed. They can simply die.

You can run any function via summon perk. Jump to any sector, open trade station menu, run a dialog, create dust cloud in front of you ;) - no problem.
Summon perks have number of uses so e.g. you can make perk which summons 6 pilots group once or 1 pilot 6 times.

Trucidation
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Welcome aboard, SpiritWolf 448.

Hmm, that page was still up a while ago - maybe someone here can help you find it. Good luck.

@Goblin Wizard:
Hmm... can we make all summoned pilots share one skill tree? That way we can teach them like Bryna&KT. About death, what about the "AI" perk? SAM copies have that one. I think it makes them not drop a rescue pod but automatically "respawn" back in the mothership.

Goblin Wizard
05-30-2010, 03:29 PM
would anybody around here know another place where one could aquire that tool and maybe read up on modding a little more?
Some of these files were posted before on this forum.

2438 english auto-translated version

2439 generally about modding SW2 - german original

Goblin Wizard
05-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Hmm... can we make all summoned pilots share one skill tree? That way we can teach them like Bryna&KT.
I think it's possible but I'm afraid about other problems. I'll have to check some things.
About death, what about the "AI" perk? SAM copies have that one. I think it makes them not drop a rescue pod but automatically "respawn" back in the mothership.
You don't want them to respawn on mothership. You don't want to see them on ms at all. If they will respawn on ms they will occupy our precious pilots slots. But even if pilot is lucky and ends in pod, this pod goes to cargo bay. The only thing you can do with him is to sell him.

SpiritWolf448
05-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Some of these files were posted before on this forum.

2438 english auto-translated version

2439 generally about modding SW2 - german original

Ah, I see. Thank you, GoWi. (and Truci for the Welcome :D)

I'll be over in that corner and read up on some things. Thanks again.

4S4W8

Trucidation
06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Just some random information.

\Data\LocData\English\
ui_windows.loc
- It looks like they planned another race, "Angorian", but it wasn't included for some reason. There's an error message for installing "Angor" tech.
- There were cargo hold limits planned? There's an error for "insufficient space". I haven't run into it in the game.

What happens if a pilot's ship gets blown up, and you don't pick up the rescue pod? I notice that the pilot icon is red. Does it still count towards your number of pilots?

Edit:
Imo missiles suck, as such they will be my first project. This game desperately needs better missiles but simply upping the damage / blast zone isn't the answer. Well, at least for me - my answer is larger payloads, baby! Why stop at 3, or even just 10 warheads? Imagine Zone of The Enders style missiles :D Too bad we can't attach light sources to objects, that would be really friggen' awesome. Light up the sky light in the screenshot, haha.

I've actually got a working sample but I need to fix my notes before I can show it. Problem is the missiles actually launch from the ship's missile hardpoints so you don't get a crazy-ass spread pattern like in the ZOE screenshot - the parent delivery vehicle needs some distance before releasing the payloads.

Edit:
There we go, the LS Master Spark... no subtlety at all, hehe. The only problem is when the AI uses it on you, you're screwed ♥

-
Note: Apparently backups (at least for .loc files) should not be left in the original folder, or the game will CTD upon launch, and LOGfile.txt will tell you it choked on the duplicate entries.

Rastix
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Try SW2 and you'll see angorians and cargo limitations

Yes, it counts

Trucidation
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Ah, no wonder they're in there... leftover stuff from SW2 eh? Also saw the cargo expansion slots in the modules file. I suppose that way is more realistic but not being able to buy something because "your backpack is full" is frustrating ;)

I need to finalize the pricing on the LS Master Spark but otherwise it's done. I hope the AI uses it against me. Hmm... it would go well with Nanaki's Random Contacts, a wing of missile ships protecting a fleet will be extremely formidable.

Edit:
I wonder what happens when the mission script tries to access a dead pilot? You know how on occasion someone (Viper, Aja) says "wait here while I go investigate something", and that pilot leaves your team temporarily? Yeah... I wonder what happens if that pilot is dead...

Edit:
As promised, here are the details of missile editing. Please note I've only scratched the surface, there are many things I still don't understand.

(1) \Data\LocData\English\m_modules.loc
- Descriptions are in here. Each item has 4 lines @ entries: name, hint, sdesc, ldesc - the displayed name, the mouseover hint, short description, long description. By the way, the long descriptions of the AMS contain typos. I'm sure everyone has noticed they all have the same effectiveness (10). Only the description is wrong though, their data is actually fine (not all of them equals 10).

(2) \Data\Game\Modules.xml
- Base item definitions are in here. For missiles, HomingRocket and MIRVModule differentiate which display template in the shop to use. I simply renamed LRM1's tags from HomingRocket to MIRVModule. The entries are very straightforward to understand and I'll skip them (appearance, price, how many missiles per pack), but look at the last entries. It's a nested RocketParams section. This determines what missile to launch (rocket_name), it's effectiveness (seeker_name), and how it explodes (detonator_name). These 3 are defined in the next file.

(3) \Data\Game\Rockets.xml
- The dirty details of rockets are all in here. From the previous file, rocket_name references a RocketCarcass block. This is basically how the missile looks like and how it flies.
- We're most interested in this part, how it explodes. This would be the detonator_name entry. Normal missiles use DistanceDetonator tags, but we need to change it to the MIRV-type. Otherwise our missile will simply launch and then explode. Normal missiles have 3 entries only, time_to_live, damage, and explosion_distance. For MIRV type we add a lot more info. Missile_count determines how many warheads it splits into (yay!), and then we have another RocketParams section. Basically this means the MIRV "explodes" into other rockets. It's got the same 3 entries as the parent definition: rocket_name, seeker_name, and detonator_name.
- This rocket_name is for each warhead's appearance. It's just another RocketCarcass block. For my custom one I simply recycled the existing MIRV warhead info.
- Again, seeker name determines how good it is against countermeasures.
- Finally we define how the warheads actually explode, with detonator_name. This time we use DistanceDetonator tags just like for regular missiles. This section simply time_to_live, damage, and explosion distance.

I don't quite understand many values such as time_to_live, seeking_time, viewing_angle, etc. More testing needed but for now we have the basics of missile editing covered.

Goblin Wizard
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I wonder what happens when the mission script tries to access a dead pilot? You know how on occasion someone (Viper, Aja) says "wait here while I go investigate something", and that pilot leaves your team temporarily? Yeah... I wonder what happens if that pilot is dead...
First you need to define "dead". If you see pilot in your pilots list (in red or other), he is not dead for the engine.
Second, it depends on what you want to do with "dead" pilot. Even totally dead pilot still can speak (no problems with dialogs). Every mission file has a function "StartInitMis" which creates pilots for different purposes. It works independently from real life of the pilot.
Even functions that work with pilots in space have many ifs so I suppose you won't encounter errors too often.

I don't quite understand many values such as time_to_live, seeking_time, viewing_angle, etc. More testing needed but for now we have the basics of missile editing covered.

time_to_live - time of missile flight in seconds
seeking_time - how long the missile will be searching for the target if he misses or the target will be destroyed before missile hit. I'm not 100% sure about this.
viewing_angle - missile luncher, gun barrel maximum deviation from the "firing forward" position (I'm sure there are better words in english to explain this but..).

Trucidation
06-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks!

I see... as long as we have the pilot, script will simply spawn instance when it takes control. Interesting. Probably will make pilot not-dead when he returns to team? :)

I understood your explanation on the values too, thanks. Maybe we can say "viewing_angle" is maximum rotation angle of launcher. Hmm, does this mean wider angle = can fire to the side if angle is wide enough? There's some other things I need to look at as well when I get home from work today.

Edit:
\Data\Game\ShipDescriptions.xml
This appears to list what ships carry what items. So ships can't have randomized equipment? Aww. Also, how do we tell which ships are available in what game difficulty (easy, normal, hard)?

I was thinking of revamping the long range missiles - they suffer from the ship not equipping radar so their range is crippled (e.g. LRM2 range = 450, but most ships' sensor default = 135). Players can also abuse this fact because ships which get hit by damage outside of their sensor range don't respond, e.g. you can rain LRMs on the alien fleet in the Dionysus Sphere but they will just sit there and let you massacre them -.-" You can also break a script by torpedoing the target and destroying it when you're supposed to reach it first and have some dialog before attacking it (I learned that the hard way in Vulcan, lol).

There's also 2 apparently unused missiles, LRM2_GK and T3_GK. The GK tag makes it sound like a turret @ mothership item, but since missiles don't work with mothership I guess they were simply left out. I also wonder why the game isn't complaining that LRM2_GK is duplicating LRM2, and T3_GK is duplicating T3. Heck, there's T1_unguided versus T1, as well as T2_unguided versus T2.

Goblin Wizard
06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Probably will make pilot not-dead when he returns to team? :)
How it works - When pilot leaves you his stats are saved and he is killed. When he returns new pilot is created and saved stats are loaded into new pilot.

Hmm, does this mean wider angle = can fire to the side if angle is wide enough?
Exactly!

Edit:
\Data\Game\ShipDescriptions.xml
This appears to list what ships carry what items. So ships can't have randomized equipment?
It's possible but game uses few diffrent setups and pilots.

Aww. Also, how do we tell which ships are available in what game difficulty (easy, normal, hard)?
"if (GetLevelDifficult()==EASY) then..." function like this checks difficulty level. Look into Create_flight_2.script.

I was thinking of revamping the long range missiles - they suffer from the ship not equipping radar so their range is crippled (e.g. LRM2 range = 450, but most ships' sensor default = 135).
As you know missiles have even @600 clicks range. It's far beyond best radar scan range. For those you should use a scout. If scout is equipped with good radar and/or cloaking device you can snipe out whole fleets (e.g. with torpedoes).

Trucidation
06-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah, it does make sense to just check when creating a flight. If the ships' difficulty was hardcoded (e.g. ship X = easy difficulty) then they would have to duplicate that ship for the other difficulties as well.

I'm not a fan of sniping (too impatient to wait), but I think torpedoes are ok. They're expensive and hard to collect many so it's no problem if they have long range. I'll still be replacing LRMs though, I'm not sure if many people use them. I think I can write a better explanation on making missiles instead of just changing existing entries and I've started modding the explosions as well. Mainly the colour - it feels more fun with different coloured explosions from different missiles :)

Edit:
...and heeere we go! I finished editing the missiles, did everything in one shot, haha. Should be no problems, it was mostly a copypasta job with only a bit of editing. I modded all the LRMs into short range cluster missiles (range 150). Screenie #1, AI is using the new missiles just fine. Screenie #2, love the devs, changing the explosion flare colours is a simple matter of editing RGB values in a script.

Gimme a while to put together all the files I modded.

sidius
06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Hello, I'm kinda new to this, but I've managed to remake couple of things (I'm familiar with Carcasses, ShipDescriptions, Modules etc.), I've added Liger (thx very much for that) - replaced 2 system modules with TurretGK ones, made new destriptions for them but when I try to add them to the stations, my game crashes every time I dock with station. so I'm doing something wrong.

__All_guns ={"HC1","HC2","HC3","HC4",
"VC1","VC2","VC3","VC4",
"LC1","LC2","LC3","LC4",
"PLC1","PLC2","PLC3",
"PC1","PC2","PC3",
"RG1","RG2","RG3",
"THC1","THC2","THC3","THC4","THGK1",
"TVC1","TVC2","TVC3","TVC4",
"TLC1","TLC2","TLC3","TLC4","TLGK1",
"TPLC1","TPLC2","TPLC3",
"TPC1","TPC2","TPC3","TPGK1",
"TRG1","TRG2","TRG3","TRGK1",
"CG1","CG2","CG3","CG4",
etc etc etc..

Question1: Should I add them to one of those ShopModules ={....}; too?

I've added some numbers to the same lines in InitTradeSystem.script:
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- THC,TVC
to
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- THC,TVC

0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- TLC,TPLC
to
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- TLC,TPLC

0,0,0,0,0,0, -- TPC,TRG
to
0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- TPC,TRG

those are lines from local NShop_fish - but I've added them to all other shops too

I don't know if I'm doing it right, adding them to the same existing weapon type (plasma to plasma turrets etc), but I don't know what would actually completely new line do..

Btw those turrets are working when I add them to InitTeamScript, but it's no fun to add things this way.

Question2: Is it possible to add Tractor Beam to fighters? I've added one to my custom Stormcrow (otherwise it has just 1 more system slot and better stats - I gave it to Patrol teams too, instead of their Stormcrow_mk2_pat0) but it doesn't work, maybe I just need to add some [X,Y,Z] outside of the fighter, not 0,0,0 as I used :). It may be restricted by the game.. dunno

I really like patrol colors and emblem, too bad they don't have any Lion cruiser, I would steal that texture for Liger :cool:. I am really lame in graphic editors, so I can't make new one

and thanks for all info about modifying, btw it would be nice to post here IMD, INI, texture and carcass files of those great newest fighters of SW2, I'd like to fly that cool shark-like fighter, but now I don't even remember it's name (I got SW2 borrowed from a friend some 3 years ago)

Trucidation
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Can't really help you here as I'm digging around a completely different set of scripts, but when the game crashes you might find some useful info in LOGfile.txt. There's also a ScriptErrors.log but I've never actually seen it contain anything.

Didn't buy or get to play SW2 but iirc Goblin Wizard added 4 ships from there into this mod. They're okay but kinda skimpy on the system side :) Good luck!

sidius
06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
error: attempt to index local `_market' (a string value)
<string "DATA/Scripts/include/FloodTradeStations.scr...": line 294>

hmm but that line contains just:
function AddModules_Chance(_market, _good, Chance, maxn, _sell, _bye)

and I really don't know what's wrong in it, i haven't even changed it..

btw now I can't even enter any market :(. that confirmation of docking doesn't appear.. but last time I was able to dock, one of those major caliber turrets was buyable, but when I undocked and docked again at the same station, BAM! crash..

sidius
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
for new modders:
don't add too much maneuvrability to ships, coz it's bugging them (they are spinning like crazy even when flying straight - and while they are spinning they can't move, so... I would say max 450 for fighters and 100 for capital ships)
I now use these stats for mothership:
mass 120 000
maneurability 3
steering_power 13 500

I have a theory that fighter with 700+ maneurability (shown one, not that one in carcasses) is an excellent target for enemy fire, since it doesn't move at all in combat, it just turn in 1 place and fire, if there is enemy within weapon range.

Trucidation
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Pilots with high piloting skill + maneuverability system modules can reach a pretty high number; I'm quite sure I've seen 400+ rating towards the endgame (most skills maxed, high end ships), and I don't normally use maneuverability modules either.

What's the current base highest maneuverability value for non-modded SW3 ships, 245? I think you can safely push it to 300+, but 450 sounds very high. Capital ships shouldn't be too agile but that's just my opinion :) Good luck.

sidius
06-03-2010, 03:05 PM
yea, my butcher (made of Viper's) has 300 maneuvrability and it flies like a giant hornet :D

btw I've found my mistake, I shouldn't have modified InitTradeSystem at all, just add new stuff to __All_<module type> and to ShopModules. This time it's working and I can buy major caliber turrets in every FTU market, though I will have to find out how to give just laser turrets to InoCo, plasma to USS, kinetic to MSF and particle to NESF.. (I have to find out if it hasn't overwrote classic major caliber guns, though. but anyway, I won't use 1st generation major caliber guns, so I don't really care in this case)

then I'll modify all heavy cannons (I mean kinetic, both for fighters and turrets), because they are simply horrible compared to any other weapon type. Maybe faster bullets or less dispersion will do.

hehe, it's fun fighting Corsair - I've accidentaly gave him Liger :grin:

Goblin Wizard
06-03-2010, 03:58 PM
"maneuverability" is only an additional modifier. Maneuverability showed in the ship info screen are based only on "mass" and "steering_power".

It's worth to know that perks which modify maneuverability work only with "steering_power" parameter (the same for modules). Look into perkDispatcher.script:

function ModifyShipSteeringPower(pilot, steeringPower)
----//----
return modifiedSteeringPower;
end;
Function takes only actual "steeringPower" of pilot's ship and returns new steering power.

Trucidation
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I'll leave the ship modding to you guys :)

@Goblin Wizard:
I read that Aleksty at StarRover forum mentioned MultiRocket so I'd like to help tackle that. However, inside \Data\XMLSchema\ folder, Rockets.xsd does not include MultiRocket in the xs:choice list. There is a definition for it in AllModules.xsd though, on line 246. I wonder if we can simply add an xs:element line for it into Rockets.xsd.

As always, \Data\Game\Modules.xml contains one entry on line 4862: MultiRocket name="MRT". (I love this file, I'm glad the devs didn't clean it up :-P ). It's pretty much the same as other rocket entries except for the addition of a rocket_slots tag. Most likely this determines how many rockets defined in the RocketParams section are produced per launch. Actually this is what I was aiming for, instead of the workaround using MIRVs (separate launch from start, unlike MIRVs which launch single then separate later). This may produce more individual missile behaviour because the MIRV warheads mostly cluster together (as you can see from my "fireworks" screenshot).

-
As to Aleksty's suggestion, if adding it to the schema works then I have a strong feeling that simply assigning a MIRV type to rocket_name in the rocket_params section should make this a multiple-MIRV launcher, each of which in turn will spread into multiple warheads.

I'll test this out as soon as I can, it's nearly 1:30am here lol.

Edit:
Haha, I found a lovely picture for a pilot. It was inevitable, really - ever since I played the original Star Wolves I just knew the scouter-wearing Nappa would have to make an appearance.

Enjoy xD

sidius
06-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I was using
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9929/homers.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/homers.jpg/)
but your pilot is cool too :grin:

btw I've tried to convert big guns to missiles and missiles to big guns, and it's really easy in that IMD editor, just ChangeWeaponType and play, you don't even have to modify hard point coords, and it looks quite nice. (tried on my Butcher - both right side weapons turned into rocket lauchers)

I wonder if missile launcher turned backward would shoot missile at the fighter chasing you or stuck till your main target is behind you.. gotta try it somewhen.

I've finished 3 storylines (MSF, NESF, Alex), gotta try Triada next time, but I don't know what to do to get to InoCo storyline (coz SAM shoot down Dickens and I end up with Alex..) or USS (dunno if it exist).

My fingers ache right now (lot of Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V while making descritions for all 12 major caliber turrets, replaced most _pl0 with _pat0 coz I simply love those textures, such a pity it's not made for all models), so I will probably just play for a while and I'll start modding when I finish next storyline

Maybe I'll start with Ramadanta and replace it's turrets with major caliber turrets, and I will have to make a brand new INI file because she doesn't have any now + gotta try to fix hangar bay (game crashes when you release some fighter).
-seem I can't conver turret into major caliber turret, or even add new major caliber turret in that IMD editor. There is no such option :(

Goblin Wizard
06-03-2010, 06:36 PM
-seem I can't conver turret into major caliber turret, or even add new major caliber turret in that IMD editor. There is no such option :(
Because IMDEditor was made for Star Wolves 2. You have to export TurretGK refpoint (e.g. from stationary turrets models) and import/add it to your file.

fx3269
06-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Goblin Wizard! Can you give me your IMD editor?I cant download it from the link you gave before.Thank

Goblin Wizard
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Try FileFront (http://www.filefront.com/16645031/IMDeditor_v3.zip)

Trucidation
06-04-2010, 01:02 PM
However, inside \Data\XMLSchema\ folder, Rockets.xsd does not include MultiRocket in the xs:choice list. There is a definition for it in AllModules.xsd though, on line 246. I wonder if we can simply add an xs:element line for it into Rockets.xsd.
This, apparently, works. However, max_rocket_count is not how many launches you get; instead, the number of launches you get is = max_rocket_count divided by rocket_slots.

Example:
max_rocket_count = 20; rocket_slots = 4
Q: How many launches, and how many missiles per launch?
A: (20/4) = 5 launches, with 4 missiles per launch

Therefore, unlike MIRVs, max_rocket_count is not how many launches (or "missiles per pod") you get. It is simply the overall total number of missiles.

As to Aleksty's suggestion, if adding it to the schema works then I have a strong feeling that simply assigning a MIRV type to rocket_name in the rocket_params section should make this a multiple-MIRV launcher, each of which in turn will spread into multiple warheads.
Correct. However, with the default values, all MIRVs are launched close to each other in a tight, packed formation -- guess what happens when it's time for the MIRVs to split up and deliver their multiple warheads? Blast radius damage happens, that's what. So basically your MIRVs end up destroying each other.

I am currently about to tweak the MIRV blast values and to see if I can do anything about the launch pattern. Otherwise the multiMIRV launcher will be a useless idea because the missiles are so close they detonate each other. (And as expected, my pilot who launched the missiles also got caught in the blast radius. I knew there was a reason I hated the default missiles -_-.)

Cutting down the MIRV detonator explosion_distance and damage helps a bit (I actually reduced both values to 1) but the missiles still destroy each other a lot.

Okay, I think I fixed it. In Modules.xml crank up viewing_angle and dispersion. In Rockets.xml turn down the explosion_distance of the parent missile (the MIRV). I think you can safely leave the damage alone; after all what happens if it hits a target before separating? Similarly, turn down the explosion_distance of the warheads. Wa-la, there you go: multiple MIRV launches, and each of them separates into multiple warheads.

The only problem I have with this concept is that without the danger of a blast radius to worry about you basically have an ultimate weapon. You'll need to pare down the damage a lot, single digits even. Heck, even my weak 30x 13 dmg danmaku were deadly in the hands of a missile expert.

Edit:
Screenshot 2, note how close the multiMIRVs are on launch - I'm merely using 4, and even then you can see two of them are actually physically overlapping. No wonder when they separate into warheads they hit each other and explode.

Goblin Wizard
06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Have you tired to change missile hit points (hit_points > own damage or damage of all warheads)? I don't know if this have any sense because I haven't modified missiles yet. The main question is: Is missile destroyed by default or by their own damage (or both)?

Trucidation
06-04-2010, 03:24 PM
No, they don't get destroyed by default, but if the enemy is grouped together in one direction then the missiles don't spread far enough and hit each other. If enemies are spread all around you it is better, missiles don't get tangled together.

Hitpoints for parent MultiRocket looks ok (is unchanged default 10,000) - that is far more hp than the potential damage (30 warhead x 10 dmg = 300 dmg). Even if they all hit each other it is still only 4 missiles per launch, or 300 x 4 = 1,200 dmg. Each warhead has very low hp though (default 10 for MIRV_WH). Perhaps this is the problem. Let's see what happens if I jack this up to 10,000 as well.

Edit:
Ya, that did the trick. I forgot I was modding LRM1 and pointing to MIRV3, needed to increase the hp on the MIRV3 missile and warhead (I don't know why the hp for these is default 10, very very low). I guess this solves the problem, you have your MultiRocket - MIRVs now :)

Goblin Wizard
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for testing. I suppose the biggest problem will be to balance damage of this multirocket/MIRV missile. Hmm... I constantly have feeling that all ships have too low hp comparing to most types of weapons (especially high-end versions). They simply die too fast.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Seems I was mistaken about the XMLSchema file. I took another look and noticed that the other definitions in that small Rockets.xsd file were detonators and seekers. "Huh, where are the actual missile definitions?" Found them inside Modules.xsd. Then I wondered why all these separate xsd files when everything is supposedly in AllModules.xsd, right? Maybe someone who knows which files are used or not can tell.

Anyway, I restored the original Rockets.xsd and found that MultiRocket still works. So it looks like you can ignore the files in this folder when creating MultiRockets since the game apparently already knows about them.

Note:
In trade screen you will only see max_rocket_count and damage for each warhead. It does not display rocket_slot (how many launched per attack), which is also important to know -- because if you see max_rocket_count saying 10 rockets that sounds like a lot, but if 5 are launched per attack then actually it's only a little because you'll fire all of them in merely 2 attacks.

If you define a rocket in \Data\Game\Modules.xml as "HomingRocket", trade screen will show "damage, resistance, range, quantity", but if you define it as "MIRVModule", trade screen will show "Number of warheads, damage, range, quantity" - that's why for MIRVs you can't see the "resistance" but in the game data their antijam values are different, and I think this is also important to know. But note MIRVs have 2 antijam values - 1 for the parent missile and 1 for the warheads. Personally, I'm going to max out the parent's antijam and simply use the warhead's antijam value as the rating. I don't like the parent missile to be shot down because then you won't be able to tell that your ECM/AMS stopped a MIRV or just a single rocket.

Unfortunately, MultiRocket appears to use the standard rocket trade display, showing "damage, resistance, range, quantity" where damage is damage per warhead and quantity is max_rocket_count. Players actually need to know the value for rocket_slot as well, like I explained just now. I don't know where trade screen information is located. For now, I suggest that if you create a MultiRocket then please also edit \Data\LocData\English\m_modules.xml and change the rocket's description to also mention rocket_slots (how many rockets fired per launch) as well.

After some searching around I couldn't find any file which mentions "resistance"... I'm guessing this belongs in that hardcoded XML, the same one preventing us from adding new perks and other stuff. It's not a big deal if we can't change the trade display text, but it's annoying, and you'll have to remember to edit the descriptions in m_modules.xml. The resistance display is also referring to the parent missile, which sucks because you need to know how well the warheads perform, not the parent because the parent is not the one delivering the damage.

Edit:
MultiRocket launches are limited, the game can only spawn so many missiles per launch - the limit appears to be 10. I tried with rocket_slot values of 10,15,20,30,40 and all of them only launched 10 missiles per attack. (Seems to tally with the sample missile "MRT" in Modules.xml which only fires 8 at a time.) So if you want a large spread you're still going to need to use MIRVs.

Theoretically there's nothing stopping you from designing a MIRV which splits into other MIRVs... this can get silly real fast though, and the trade display will be even more inaccurate.

sidius
06-05-2010, 07:03 AM
hmm, I would simply write that it's shooting 4 MIRVs at the same time to the description in LocData.

I have much smaller problem. "Major caliber turret" - the default name, is simply too long for the small description window, so it's written through "Turret type".

I'm finally finished with adding different kinds of major caliber turrets to different factions FTU markets, I've also modified dispersion or heavy cannons and rapid-fire cannons and plasma cannons so they are now equally strong as lasers and particle accelerators. Liger with 8x Vincinidator + 2x Basilica turrets, yay. All payed for ingame credits, no credits at the start of the game or from selling stuff I've added myself at the start of the game.

It's actually nice for gameplay, I can choose to upgrade fighters (classic SW3) or only mothership(modified Liger).

I'm going to try making rapid fire major calibers :grin:. Could be fun if I could make it. And then I'll give it to Triada FTU markets since they don't have any major calibers now.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 07:28 AM
I thought just lowering the dmg output of those pulse lasers would be easier than trying to improve everything else? The mothership performs too well in combat if you have a good firmware. I've come to dislike fighting near the mothership since it does too good a job of destroying hostiles and leaves little for the fighters to do.

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Ya, that did the trick. I forgot I was modding LRM1 and pointing to MIRV3, needed to increase the hp on the MIRV3 missile and warhead (I don't know why the hp for these is default 10, very very low). I guess this solves the problem, you have your MultiRocket - MIRVs now :)

Firstly, awesome work so far.
Secondly, even with lots of HP on the little rockets, AMS still destroys them in 1 shot?

My ship addition hasn't been going so well, the game would just stop when you started a new game, Hero type/name select would skip, and no buttons other than Escape do anything.

Just discovered after save/load the game would go on as normal, portal breaks down, MSF boss you around. Gonna see if I can buy the ship. :\

I may have deleted the file that tells the game what to do when it starts new. I remember seeing a short file (.xml?) with stuff to do with new game in it, but I can't find it anymore! :-)

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I have much smaller problem. "Major caliber turret" - the default name, is simply too long for the small description window, so it's written through "Turret type".
You can change this inside ui_windows.loc (e.g. #UI_TextTurretGK).
The same file contains information displayed about rockets.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Ya, i believe ECM/AMS simply either works or doesn't against a particular warhead. The hp values are probably for stuff like getting hit with blast damage.

Thanks Goblin Wizard, found mention of the stats' labels in there (damage, resistance, etc). The problem is it appears that there's only 2 sets, #UI_I_MIRVNames and #UI_I_RocketNames, and that the values are simply represented by a %s (string?) and %d (integer?). So we can't really tell the game to 'display this integer instead of that integer'.

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks Goblin Wizard, found mention of the stats' labels in there (damage, resistance, etc). The problem is it appears that there's only 2 sets, #UI_I_MIRVNames and #UI_I_RocketNames, and that the values are simply represented by a %s (string?) and %d (integer?). So we can't really tell the game to 'display this integer instead of that integer'.
I haven't tried this but what about adding some more %s or %d. Maybe this way the game will display other parameters. I know this is hardcoded but some parameters may be hidden (not displayed). Just an idea.

sidius
06-05-2010, 09:59 AM
hmm seems like I've made something wrong while making those new weapons :evil:
every time I start new game the game crashes at choose specialization window (it crashes when I click, but I also can't see pilot picture, description and perk tree). Don't know what is causing this, because I was messing just with trade scripts and modules.xml and m_bs_modules.loc..

according to ScriptErrors.log, the error seems to be in FloodTradeStation.script in the line I haven't changed at all:(
maybe there is just a limit for weapons for the market. default is 64, when I had 76 it was OK, now I have 80 and it's buggy.

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Yay, my new Templar Smilodon works, game is still messed up. :(

Too add the ship in, I modified:
Carcasses.xml - added ship
ShipDescriptions.xml - added ship slots (c/p of other smil with ref changes)
carcasses.loc - added descriptions
FloodTradeStations.script - added ship to be buyable
InitTradeSystem.script - added ship to shops

Could any of those cause the error that I have?

I've got a .dds converter, all I need now is IMDE and Gimp :D (I could install Photoshop, but takes to long)

Ship stuff is fun, but I don't know how to get more system slots to show up on the UI in game (Or is this done automatically and 8 is the max to show?). You can add more systems by double clicking it, but you can only remove it by moving the ship to inventory.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
@Goblin Wizard:
Good idea - sadly, no luck. Just throws up gibberish. I guess we'll have to settle for editing the long description field. Fortunately that one appears to be fairly long so there should be enough room there.

Edit:
@StarShatter:
I'm certain I've seen Goblin Wizard create smaller UI slots and more than 8. There's a pic in his Mothership mod thread.

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Yay, my new Templar Smilodon works, game is still messed up. :(

Too add the ship in, I modified:

Could any of those cause the error that I have?

I've got a .dds converter, all I need now is IMDE and Gimp :D (I could install Photoshop, but takes to long)

Ship stuff is fun, but I don't know how to get more system slots to show up on the UI in game (Or is this done automatically and 8 is the max to show?). You can add more systems by double clicking it, but you can only remove it by moving the ship to inventory.

If you want to add ship for a player you don't have to touch ShipDescriptions.xml at all. This file contains ship armament list for AI ships.
If you want to change ship's weapon slots for player, you have to:
1. set desired number of slots in Carcasses.xml
2. add appropriate refpoints in the ship's IMD file. All except system slots. These don't need refpoints in the IMD file.
3. add the same refpoints (names) definitions inside the "ini" file for your ship in the ..\Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots folder. This file name is called from Carcasses.xml - <mapping_name> parameter.

hmm seems like I've made something wrong while making those new weapons :evil:
every time I start new game the game crashes at choose specialization window (it crashes when I click, but I also can't see pilot picture, description and perk tree). Don't know what is causing this, because I was messing just with trade scripts and modules.xml and m_bs_modules.loc..

according to ScriptErrors.log, the error seems to be in FloodTradeStation.script in the line I haven't changed at all:(
maybe there is just a limit for weapons for the market. default is 64, when I had 76 it was OK, now I have 80 and it's buggy.
If you still have this problem add LOGfile.txt and ScriptsErrors.log. I'll try to help but now I have too little information.
Don't worry about loc files. These never cause a real error. Sometimes only a "string not found" info.

sidius
06-05-2010, 10:37 AM

open Smilodon's INI file (data/texture/interface/carcass/slots/smilodon.ini in your case), copy/paste 1 of the system slots and change it's refpoint= to system3, 4 or any other, it just has to be something else than those used by default, otherwise you will have 3 slots visually, but equipping 1 item will make it appear in 2 system slots..
and change at least image_coord too (I suggest doing the same with text_coord to look better), so you can actually see that slot, so it's not hidden under existing one.
I hope it's clear enough.

you may have deleted InitTeamScript, if that's problem, we can upload it somewhere, it's better to backup "working version" of the game before modifying :D

if that's not the problem, open ScriptErrors.log and you will know what are you doing wrong probably.

also, if anyone found out, what's limit for weapons/modules/ships in FloodTradeStation? gotta try it with 1 less, but I have 80 kinds of weapon modules and it causes crashes at the select specialization window in new game..

sidius
06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
lol I'm not doing anything and those scripts are breaking..

got 2 errors -> replaced damaged script with backup -> 1 old error, 1 fixed error, 5 new errors lol

I'm starting to think I have some virus..

Edit: I think I got it, I was missing 1 " in FloodTradeStations.script

Edit2: The game is working, but once again, I can't DOCK at any station, even Trader window is empty..

error: attempt to index local `_market' (a string value)
<string "DATA/Scripts/include/FloodTradeStations.scr...": line 294>

but there is just

function AddModules_Chance(_market, _good, Chance, maxn, _sell, _bye)
if (Chance > RAND(100)) and (maxn > 0) then
-- N=maxn; -- õÙ* Û¯Ý‗*¯Ù* þÓõÓÝݯү ýÓÛ±Þý¾ýÓ
N=RAND(maxn)+1;
_market:ModuleGoodsState(_good, N, _sell, _bye);
end;
end;

and I don't know what's wrong in it since I haven't changed it ...

EDIT3: restored backups, now I've got even more errors than before :(

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Haha, you guys are the best. :-P
Looks like I'm going to have to install photoshop after all.
It's buyable like most Templar ships, and I've managed to change the colour of the lights on it (just testing/locating atm, lots of flares), but changing the texture kinda failed (see: screenshot). It's gone blue! Haha. Working on adding/moving system slots.
Edit, second screen shot, JPG -> DDS, no alpha/vector layer. Super glossy. Hahaha.
Edit2, meh fixed the gloss, and put some circles around the parts that are now whiter/changed, not all of it done yet. Removing some imperfections, will make the brown black, when I get the time. Got some stuff to do tomorrow.

you may have deleted InitTeamScript, if that's problem, we can upload it somewhere, it's better to backup "working version" of the game before modifying
I still have this file.
And no there is no errors in the ScriptErrors.log.

and I don't know what's wrong in it since I haven't changed it ...
I read about line 294 somewhere else here. Perhaps you added incorrect values for something in reference to line 294.

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM
The most important file is LOGfile.txt. Look not only for ERROR lines but WARNING and even 1-3 INFO lines before an error. These lines can give idea when and why errors happen.

It's hard to say what's wrong but I can guess:
ModuleGoodsState function needs table values not string values so I suppose there is an error in the table or lack of an information/entry in the table.

But as I said only 1st error is important. Others are usually the result of the first. Paste your LOGfile and we'll have something to discuss.

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 01:46 PM
(ERROR) LoadWindow ERROR: DATA\GUI\CharacterSelect.scr [CharacterSelect]

That's the only error I can find. Makes sense. Can't find that file. :!:
I can still post the entire thing, it's long, if it's needed. (Probably just in an edit)

Hmm, I'm wondering if there was an easy way to distribute these mods easier than just overwriting files (hinders the use of multiple mods) or going through and manually adding the contents of smaller mods to the bigger ones (one? the mother ship mod?). The only thing I can think of is some installer-like thing they used to use for Baldur's Gate II or a combination of all the mods.

Side question: Do Templars appear in the story at all?

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 01:56 PM
You should have this file. Restore a backup or use this 2497.

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Heyy thanks heaps! Works again just fine. I couldn't find any copy of it in the computer bin, or a complete search of C:\ so god knows what I did with it.

Considering adding a few different kinds of Templar ship, just for variety later on in the game. Maybe even earlier tier ones. Make something of the work I've done so far. (I'd probably add these ships to Templar patrols just to be complete)

I could go through and make all faction painted ships available in their black markets? Rather than nuking their supply ships.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Hmm, I'm wondering if there was an easy way to distribute these mods easier than just overwriting files (hinders the use of multiple mods) or going through and manually adding the contents of smaller mods to the bigger ones (one? the mother ship mod?). The only thing I can think of is some installer-like thing they used to use for Baldur's Gate II or a combination of all the mods.

Side question: Do Templars appear in the story at all?
Well, when you finish with a ship I doubt there's much to update - eventually most of the new ships could be collected into a pack. But yeah, currently there's a lot of hand-patching going on. Gotta wait for the dust to settle before I attempt to make a compilation.

Templars do make an appearance, have you checked the news items? They appear in the system mentioned. In certain storyline paths you'll even briefly meet them.

Edit:
Blackmarket (FTU market) availability would be convenient. There isn't much incentive to bother with blowing up faction convoys to obtain them, although I wouldn't mind if someone did this for really rare ships. Especially if we're flying with Nanaki's fleet mod (I really should check that out sometime soon).

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I know about the news items.
Just more so in story lines. I've done NESF, and I'm part way through the InoCo story line (distracted with modding).

Cause if all if all I change is the squads it shouldn't be effected to much.
Other Templar ships I think would be cool:

Cheetah - A form of field harvester. Not as good as the Trident T (or I could just balance them) but it has a tractor beam.
Excalibur - Superior T1 or 2 fighter (Superior due to the lengths you have to go to get it). Wont appear in Templar formations, because its outdated. +Small gun or two. Strength would be in extra armour anyway.
Wouldn't really know what else to make with a novelty. Suggestions?

I'll have a look at putting the ships in FTU warehouses tomorrow, pretty sure I know how already, just gotta test. Seems like we have someone doing just about everything lol.

sidius
06-05-2010, 04:06 PM
hmm InoCo has storyline?

I've done NESF, then MSF, then InoCo (after SAM "arrested" Dickens I had to go to Alex storyline - the one with Templars), and I've just finished USS storyline (which resulted into Triada)

so basically there are just few storylines, but based on your decisions, each ending is slightly different (and nothing can stop army of symbionts from attacking in the future it seems..). I'd like to know what lines remains, so I'll probably run a new game as soon as I fix those errors

Spoiler alert!

Triada has pretty hard ending, going into SAM's nest at precursor portal ALONE.. My Liger with 8x Vindicator turret (best rapid) and 2x Basilica turret (best plasma), 26k shields and 50% laser deflection hardly made it, with half fighters destroyed - though Living Legend animation was cool ;)
MSF has nice ending too, if you stay with Viper and won't join Trump
I really can't wait for datadisc (I hope that we'll get more free time to annihilate pirates, explore map and so on, random missions would be nice too

StarShatter
06-05-2010, 04:12 PM
hmm InoCo has storyline?
Err well I dunno. I start working for Triada, got caught by InoCo. I'm right up to the part where I go back and get a mission from InoCo to find out about our missile transports.

I wanted to side with MSF but Viper kinda just told me to get lost, so I guess I picked the wrong one of two options, and just went with it.

Trucidation
06-05-2010, 04:22 PM
You were already on the InoCo path if I'm not mistaken. When that shootout breaks out in XT-45 and you get a chance to flee to one of three systems, any of those 3 choices will result in Greyhair mentioning he knows someone in the Hapha system. You then have to choose whether to deal with Alex's mail or hold on and go see Greyhair's contact first (see screenshot).

Choosing to go find Greyhair's friend in Hapha will lead you to gaining pilot Jana and towards the rest of the InoCo storyline.

sidius
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
hmm last time Greyhair mentioned someone I've lost half hour traveling.. I was heading to Shula (or smthing like that) to "upgrade mothership engines" or wtf, and it crashed when I entered portal.. besides, that Greyhair's friend wants 700 grands for clearing ID in that Hapha system lol

I've read that to get to InoCo storyline, you need to refuse to work for Triada in the beginning (in Candela, it's too late to start working for them in that X-54 system), but it may be the same, dunno, gotta try everything.

I can at least try my new Smilodon with 2 rockets, 2 smallguns, 2 bigguns and 3 systems, and my new Rapid-fire major caliber laser turret for Liger (I've set dispersion so high that I will have to get weapon firmware mk3 to hit at least capital ships :grin:

sidius
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
if you want to continue InoCo->Alex line without getting stuck, use InoCo fix:

1-Fire up your favorite plain text editor (windows notepad will do fine)
2-In your SW3 install directory open the file 'Data\Scripts\Quests\mission_8e\InoCoSecret_XT45.s c ript' with the text editor. (don't forget to make a backup of this file).
3-Search for "ship_uel1:SetGodMode();" (without the quotes)
4-Modify this line so it reads "ship_uel1_1:SetGodMode();" (without the quotes) (modification marked in red)
5-Save the modified file
6-Load your savegame (must be from before you arrived at the station and the dialog with the 'strangers' started).

Seems I cannot make a custom weapon type:
(ERROR) ModuleManager::FindElementByName - object name is EMPTY
(22:12:48) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateGameObject('') - element with specified name not found in file 'DATA\GAME\modules.xml'
(22:12:48) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateObject('') - game object not created!
(22:12:48) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateModule('') - module not created
(22:12:48) (ERROR) Inventory::AddModuleWithName: cannot create module with name = ''

[EXCEPTION] 0x0057fe85 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.)
[EXCEPTION]

although it has the same name in modules and floodtradestations.. also if there was a mistake in script, it would be written in ScriptErrors.log.. which is empty right now.

Goblin Wizard
06-05-2010, 08:26 PM
if you want to continue InoCo->Alex line without getting stuck, use InoCo fix:

1-Fire up your favorite plain text editor (windows notepad will do fine)
2-In your SW3 install directory open the file 'Data\Scripts\Quests\mission_8e\InoCoSecret_XT45.s c ript' with the text editor. (don't forget to make a backup of this file).
3-Search for "ship_uel1:SetGodMode();" (without the quotes)
4-Modify this line so it reads "ship_uel1_1:SetGodMode();" (without the quotes) (modification marked in red)
5-Save the modified file
6-Load your savegame (must be from before you arrived at the station and the dialog with the 'strangers' started).
Check here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=14788) There is some more fixes for InoCo path.

Seems I cannot make a custom weapon type:

although it has the same name in modules and floodtradestations.. also if there was a mistake in script, it would be written in ScriptErrors.log.. which is empty right now.
You can add new weapons but you can choose only from existing types (Modules.xsd)

Trucidation
06-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Was attempting to mod some new music in. Apparently I had the volume on too low, I thought it wasn't working -___-" Plus the damn menu music waits several seconds before actually starting to play.

Anyway, all you need is dbpoweramp converter (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm) and its ogg vorbis plugin (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg-vorbis.htm) - once installed all you need to do is open explorer, rightclick any music file and select db convert (and pick ogg vorbis format).

I decided not to bother including new menu music - all of us have widely different preferences. Finishing up on my missiles now, I made a mistake with some entries and restored the wrong backup, had to restart from scratch.

Does anyone know which file (probably a .loc) contains the system descriptions? You know, when you open the galaxy map and click on a system, that flavour text describing it which appears? I found that last week but didn't take note which file it was >__>

Edit:
Meh, found it -- the text was buried in the middle of something I was already looking at. \Data\LocData\English\m_location_spec.loc.

StarShatter
06-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Took a break from my studies. (reaaaaly long practical report >_>)
And finished my attempt at textures!

Still have to do some balance/Inventory UI stuff. Then just compare my texture/lights with that of the actual Templar. I've only done this as a rough go at it. It's probably all gonna come together quicker after this one.

I figure my ideas are too "inside the square", too normal, so next up: Templar Dragon with turrets!

Edit, will need clean install as well... lol...
Well if you want it. I still plan to do some detailing. :D Enjoy. Hoping to find something Templar-ish to replace those stars with. I like them and it would be kinda sad to see them go. It's a bit of a hack job though...

sidius
06-06-2010, 07:23 AM
nice textures StarShatter
feel free to upload DDS file :grin:

btw I haven't made a new weapon type, it's still TurretGK, so idk what could be possibly wrong there..
this is it - the rapid-fire laser major caliber turret - Eliminator:

<TurretGK name="TLGK4">
<short_name>#M_Name_TLGK4</short_name>
<hint>#M_Hint_TLGK4</hint>
<short_desc>#M_SDesc_TLGK4</short_desc>
<long_desc>#M_LDesc_TLGK4</long_desc>
<mesh_name>Turret_GK1_T</mesh_name>
<flat_image>Med_Turret_M205</flat_image>
<hit_points>20</hit_points>
<mass>100</mass>
<disable_trade/>
<cost>220000</cost>
<technology/>
<attach_type>ALL_SHIPS</attach_type>
<recharge_time>2</recharge_time>
<viewing_angle>10</viewing_angle>
<dispersion>0.2</dispersion>
<min_distance>5</min_distance>
<max_distance>125</max_distance>
<rate_of_fire>2</rate_of_fire>
<burst_count>16</burst_count>
<azimuth_rotation_speed>60</azimuth_rotation_speed>
<rise_angle_rotation_speed>50</rise_angle_rotation_speed>
<BulletParams>
<damage>36</damage>
<bullet_length>1</bullet_length>
<speed>100</speed>
<damage_type>LASER</damage_type>
<graph_type>LASER</graph_type>
<sfx_index>7</sfx_index>
</BulletParams>
</TurretGK>

StarShatter
06-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Upon modifying the the Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots\.ini, the inventory icons for the ship itself dissipated.

So I made some that fit the look of the ship. Put them in:

Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\32
Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots\64
Data\TEXTURE\Interface\Carcass\Slots\128
Under different names and changed the Carcasses.xml around.

But I couldn't get them to appear in game. :(

What am I doing wrong?

sidius
06-06-2010, 08:52 AM
you need to give them the same name in 32, 64 and 128, and write that name into <flat_imagge>.. - if you want that image for stations

try to rename all 3 to "Smilodon_T.dds"
and write it as
<flat_image>Smilodon_T</flat_image>
to carcasses.xml

it works with all old ones, howerver idk how it behave when you put new one there (maybe there is a list of those you can use from there somewhere in some other file)

I'd like to have patrol Liger instead of MSF Liger, unfortunately I'm really noob in textures.

btw StarShatter, post that INI file, let's see what's wrong with it. but you have probably just renamed it -> easy fix, just rename it in carcasses too, in <mapping_name>

StarShatter
06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Hahaha, this is so sad, I just wrote a pretty heft post about everything I had done relating to these textures. Modified files and such.

Figured after looking through and seeing nothing is wrong, I decided to try it in game before I looked like an idiot.

I feel like an idiot.

Some how giving up and leaving it for a while fixed it. ._.

It's all in the zip in the previous post if you want to use it.
IMO the shields are too powerful, but I like lots of shields in preference to armour. Even though its more like a disadvantage (since you cant repair it @ 20+ hp/s). Meh, it's meant to be more of a self-sufficient tank anyway, good @ long range combat, but in a dog fight it just takes damage and fires missiles when possible.

Textures (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=2506&d=1275812623)

Trucidation
06-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Looking good there. Heh, I picked a (hopefully) better name for those missiles this time around. "Wind God Hidden Among The Leaves" doesn't quite trip off the tongue...

Say, what do I need to edit (in FloodTradeStations.script?) to make everything buyable there? It's a pain in the ass to try find which stations are selling my new missiles. If I can't buy them I can't test them, lol -__-"

Edit: I meant, in Elio (Grid Station). Do I just add to the Location_Sidelist for Elio, or what? No, wait. I can see the other missiles being sold if I redock, but SRM1 ("SRM-6E Piranha") doesn't seem to show up.

Edit: Okay, belay that - I went one system down (Hephaestus) and it crashed when I docked. lol, looks like I screwed something up in the entry.

StarShatter
06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Well I'm probably not the best explainer of this, but I'll try.

In "FloodTradeStations.Script"

__All_rockets ={"DF","MM","SM3","SM4",
"SRM1","SRM2","SRM3","SRM4", "example1",
"LRM1","LRM2","LRM3","LRM4",
"T1","T2","T3","MIRV1","MIRV2","MIRV3","example2"};

add your missiles to the ends of these. Like the examples.

Then

In InitTradeSystem.Script

{0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- SM,SRM,LRM rockets
0,0,0,0,0,0}, -- T,MIRV
You'll want to add entries as fallows.

{0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, -- SM,SRM,LRM rockets
0,0,0,0,0,0,0}, -- T,MIRV

Then in every station, add those values (I THINK they have to be in that order) and change that number to the amount you want to appear in the shop. I added the values in the 9th spot, and the final spot, as this is where I put the missiles in "FloodTradeStations.Script". When i did this for Ships it was much easier (just threw them on at the end).

Example:

...local NShop_Triada =...

{10,7,3,0,12,6,2,0,4,6,3,0,0, -- SM,SRM,LRM rockets
3,1,0,2,0,0,1}, -- T,MIRV

4 and 1 are the maximum for showing up in the shop. And they will appear in the Triada shop. For the reference of what shops what, I think thats contained in the "FloodTradeStations.Script". Haven't had much time to look, been doing ship stuff. (also not 100% sure on this either)

Sorry if this is completely fail!

tiny note: just finished clean install, back-upping now, maybe tomorrow going to post the complete stuff on what ive done so far for the smilodon tl, and probably move on to dragon t

Trucidation
06-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks, that will help later.

Actually, my main problem is that Rockets.xml is a freaking mess. Missiles, definitions, and detonations are sometimes shared. So when I rename something it might break something else. Ugh. Untangling this mess is going to take a while.

Edit: By the way, my problem was that SRM1_M was missing in Rockets.xml. <-- No, it's in there. There's something else wrong.

(20:21:40) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateGameObject('srm1'): FAILED to load properties from XML (XML reports: 'No error')
(20:21:40) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateObject('srm1') - game object not created!
(20:21:40) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateModule('srm1') - module not created
(20:21:40) (ERROR) Inventory::AddModuleWithName: cannot create module with name = 'srm1'

Edit:
LOL, there was a typo... I wrote rocket_slot instead of rocket_slots. That fixed it. Okay folks, nothing to see here, move along :)

Update:
Okay, the missile mod's up. Feel free to dismantle it and take a look around. I'll try to answer as best I can if you have any questions about modding missiles.

StarShatter
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Here's the Smilodon TL as is. Still some minor modifications I'd like to do, but they can wait. It's just up-close texture stuff anyway. It's too dark and shiny to be a Templar?

Uploading it as a sort of DIY. Nothing official. Cause it's just a minor addition, you can just put follow the steps to add it to your game with whatever mods you're playing with.

Tried and ready for use. :)

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Mmm, a graphics package and instructions how to edit the scripts included. Thanks, I learned something - because, as you know, I've been poking around different scripts and have no clue about ships or trade (still haven't gotten around to that, heh).

StarShatter
06-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Err ok, I have to fix up some files in it, it's gone back to missing the inventory textures! lol.
I'll get it fixed asap.

EDIT:
In Carcasses.xml
<flat_image>smilodonTS</flat_image>
Needs to become
<flat_image>smilodon_templar</flat_image>

Changed the Zip.

Edit again:
"I've been poking around different scripts"
Yeah I'm still mostly working from that Valky post and the help I've managed to get here. Haha.
What sucks is that I'm going to add in a new Dragon T now, so I might have to do this rush again. :(

skrzacik
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
hi

maybe someone can make a extra theard with downloadable content????

then we can find everything what u guys make for us simple people without lua knowledge :P

StarShatter
06-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Haha. It's not to hard to learn :D
But at the moment, many of the mods overwrite the same files.
So you'd only be able to simply use one mod at a time.

Perhaps notepad++ or notepad2 can auto text stuff into the files?

I'm mostly just adding semi-balanced (Since they're endgame ships, they're by nature very powerful, and expensive) Templar styled ships atm. So if anyone likes they can incorporate it to their mods.

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't have much LUA knowledge either (and that lolgoogletranslation of the Russian SW2 guide is hard to understand), I'm doing it like these guys are: editing the stuff which we think should do what it says it does, and then testing. And testing.

Missile stuff hardly overlaps anything so you should be able to throw my mod together with any other mod; the most likely collisions would be in Modules.xml if the other mod changes ship items (guns, systems, anything actually). m_modules.loc too but as those are descriptions it's no big deal (maybe confusion due to incorrect text). I'm still looking around PFX, there's some interesting stuff in those folders. Like if you want different coloured bullets, rail gun effects.

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 10:46 AM
You don't have to change any original "loc" file. Just create your own loc file and put it in ../LocData/English folder. Engine checks all these files when searching for linked text.
The same goes for script files but you have to place path to your own script file inside ../Data/Scripts/system.lst file.

StarShatter
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I tried playing with Create_flight_2 and ShipDescriptions to add in my ship to Templar fleets didn't work to well. Think I'll drop that idea for a while...

The ships just vanished from the groups haha, might have had to start a new game to get it to effect. Alternatively might have been because I was in easy mode. :D

Dragon texture is scary, it's brown and it's scary! :neutral:

What do you think about making the blue lines and or silvery metal on the ships shinier? Or maybe just the cockpit screen?

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 10:52 AM
@Goblin Wizard:
That does explain why the game was choking on the backups if I left them in the same folder as the originals. Don't we need to edit any include scripts though? I'll try this when i get back, gotta go eat.

@StarShatter:
You mean changing the colours on the existing textures so they stand out better? Up to you, but I don't really have a problem with the existing ones.

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
@Goblin Wizard:
That does explain why the game was choking on the backups if I left them in the same folder as the originals. Don't we need to edit any include scripts though? I'll try this when i get back, gotta go eat.
It depends what you want to do. In most cases you put name of the function, you want to execute, in the original script file. The function itself is inside your own script file. Check my mod. There is "gw.script" where I keep all my functions. It easier because if something goes wrong you have to check only one file.

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Hmm... I constantly have feeling that all ships have too low hp comparing to most types of weapons (especially high-end versions). They simply die too fast.
This is still bugging me.

It's true; a few good shots and a ship is pretty much toast. That doesn't quite feel right. I still stand by my earlier statement that lasers need to be toned down.

Shield refresh rate; is it helping? From what I can tell it barely does. Sure, you get that extra boost from a shield system, but the refresh rate usually means jack. I think the refresh rate needs to be boosted. After all, you're sacrificing a system slot to put it in.

Does anyone here use any of the one-time-use systems regularly? I've always felt that they were a waste of system slots, but that's just my impression. I guess it's useful for the AI since we don't really expect the enemy to live if we fight them so an emergency repair system will basically let them live just that bit longer to harass us. But since players expect to live forever (die = click load and try again...), I've never really seen the usefulness of these things. Comments?

Here's a crazy idea:
It would be awesome if damage had a %chance of destroying an item in a slot (guns, missiles, system). I'd totally apply that to missiles. Right now ships with even 1hp left can still fly and attack at full strength. It would be more interesting and dangerous if a huge chunk of damage could break something. I know it's not gonna be a popular idea but I'm tired of easy games :-P We could also flag certain items to not be affected if you don't want everything to be destructible.

StarShatter
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
You mean changing the colours on the existing textures so they stand out better? Up to you, but I don't really have a problem with the existing ones.

Nah I mean SHINY, reflect more light, I've already tried to make the blues and white stand out more. And be a bit cleaner.

Also I keep may back ups in .rars... I have a 2.83gb back up of all the files now...

You don't have to change any original "loc" file. Just create your own loc file and put it in ../LocData/English folder. Engine checks all these files when searching for linked text.

Definitely trying this when I get my save up to be able to test right. Would take a bit of pressure off modding original files.

Edit: In reference to all things about ships having low HP,

Yeah they kinda do. Shield Regen on a Dragon is only 3, even when boosted by perks it isn't much (I like those perks). For my Dragon T I dropped the shields to ~300 (just testing), but ramped up the regen to 10! Cant take much damage all @ once, but in a dog fight its a hell of an advantage, It's huge armour helps. Same for my Smilodon, lots of shields. Best way to increase HP is to have a healer on your team, it has a massive effect. Shields in this game work more to protect from initial damage before a dog fight, when there is a heavy damage exchange/missiles, when in the fight, their regen will protect you a little bit more on the next pass and such, but definitely not much. That's my just opinion though.

I think a big part of survivability in this game is to not get hit, speed and pilot skill modifiers on mobility being the key factors. Obviously with all the missiles you're playing with its like squatting flies. Homing makes it kinda makes pilot skill redundant (I like missiles).

For the Excalibur T I'm planning, I was going to make it just much more agile/quick in combat, have that what makes it superior (that and 2 extra light cannons, trying to play on the Templar myths, shoots twice as fast/makes unbelievable maneuvers, and based solely on superior equips).

Lasers are not as big as a problem as particle accelerators, you cant resist them for 80% :D. Imo lasers SHOULD be weaker than particle accelerators and plasma weapons by default :\.

Ship re-balance community patch? lol

Another Edit: Weapons increase in power faster than ships increase in HP? The battle with the Greys and all their Shinnings caught me so off guard. I usually just put missile defense and shields in system slots :\. Maybe Prototype X/Diamond if there is a spare one.

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Wait, I thought someone mentioned somewhere that particle accelerators were considered to inflict laser damage and thus affected by the %laser resist? No? Crap, in that case they need to be toned down as well. My main problem with those is that they basically hit/miss upon firing; there's no projectile travel time. I'm fine with plasmas, you can see them miss (even expert gunner pilots miss fairly often). Kinetics are just about right, but I think their gimped range also helps. I agree, weapon power overall just increases too much compared to shields/armor.

Homing on missiles is a factor but I made sure most of my modded missiles have low antijam rating, you can see enemies use AMS against them with great effect. Right now I'm not too worried about them. And, same, i also prioritise antimissile defense & shields.

I'd prefer shields to prevent recurring damage more rather than just absorb the bulk of the initial attack. Sure, it'll make enemies more annoying, but look at it from their point of view: our handful of pilots basically shoot down hundreds of them by the end of the game.

Plus you can always harvest exp on those weak pirates (I pity them...), go cache hunting, or shoot up warehouses, lol.

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Wait, I thought someone mentioned somewhere that particle accelerators were considered to inflict laser damage and thus affected by the %laser resist? No? Crap, in that case they need to be toned down as well.
Particle accelerators deliver LASER damage.

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 04:08 PM
So it's true.

That said, more ships need to be equipped with antilasers. Even on hard mode my test fighter with Rage lasers is shredding everything apart, ugh.

Do you know how dispersion works? In the scripts (well at least in Rockets.xml) i see the values are normally quite low (0.5 - 1 average). I tried using wildly large values (10, 30) but didn't really notice any difference. The homing properties of the missiles may be throwing me off though.

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't know the exact dispersion formula but afaik:1 - maximum dispersion, 0 - no dispersion. Probably all more than 1 is considered 1. E.g. function called by "Cannon Adjustment" perk.

function ModifyGunDispersion(pilot, gunDispersion)
local modifiedGunDispersion = gunDispersion;

local amplifier = 1;

if pilot:HavePerk("Gun_Dispersion")
then
amplifier = amplifier - .99;
end;

modifiedGunDispersion = modifiedGunDispersion * amplifier;

return modifiedGunDispersion;
end;
This perk simply reduces dispersion by 99%. It doesn't improve accuracy when the target has significant angular velocity but bullets are not sprayed all over the sky.
Imo this perk has no sense to me. Pilot can improve his accuracy - ok. Pilot magically controlling gun parameters - no. It should be a system which does this or one time (for each gun) buyable improvement (gunsmith or something).

sidius
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
with all these opinions, you just want a bunch of rookie pirates in hammerheads to kick your ass..

everything that has dispersion higher than 0 CAN miss, depends on pilot. how do you want to miss with all those perks? 30% accuracy+10% damage from weapon specialization, up to 95% more accuracy from Gunner skill, + Ternie has even cannon adjustment, count critical hits to it and your pilot is deadly even with crappiest weapon in the end of the game.

LASER damage is so heavy and so accurate because you can mitigate up to 80% of it (which is very nice considering at least 2 of enemies you HAVE TO fight uses lasers - berserkers and aliens).
and, depending on storyline you choose, you can eventually end up ALONE agains all SAM's berserker hordes and several Chimeras, and that is hell of a massacre..

increasing HP/shield regen of fighters would be nice, but who would possibly want to do that? I mean there is some 150 of them (at least)

Goblin Wizard
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
everything that has dispersion higher than 0 CAN miss, depends on pilot. how do you want to miss with all those perks?
Dispersion and accuracy are two different parameters. Even 0 dispersion and 100% accuracy bonus is not guaranteed hit. There are some modifiers like:
- speed of the target
- maneuverability of the target
- number of the enemies - if your team has less pilots that enemy your pilot's chance to hit is reduced and enemy chance to hit is increased. Perks like Tactician and Wingman work with this parameter. They virtually increase number of your pilots when the perk is active. High level enemy leaders posses these perks too.

sidius
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I'd rather say that more dispersion + large amount of grouped enemies = massacre. Try it with rapid-fire cannon on some berserker fleet :grin:

even though it doesn't have to be caused by that.. maybe it's just targeting new targets within 1 shooting sequence (16 bullets with rapid fire cannons) so you actually kill the drone with 4 bullets, another 4 bullets find another drone and so on.. dunno how it's made.

btw I don't know how (haven't done anything), but ingame music is no longer playing..

error: attempt to call global `InitMusic' (a nil value)
<string "DATA\Scripts\Locations\aurora\location.scri...": line 116>

gotta love those self-destruct scipts..
(it's just "InitMusic();" written in that line, like in the end of every location script..)

Trucidation
06-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I do see the kinetic guns doing decent damage in crowded fights. It's just that they're balanced enough (?) to not do that all the time, unlike lasers.

Have you tried manual targeting + activate "pause when target is destroyed", using lasers? Works especially well against berserks. At the last pause it look like your ship's lasers are firing at all 5 berserks in the pack simultaneously. I think I posted a screenshot a while ago. Haven't tried it with other weapons, not sure if they fire fast enough.

The AI doesn't fire like that; usually after destroying a target it seems to pick a new target that requires it to waste time flying past and turning around.

LASER damage is so heavy and so accurate because you can mitigate up to 80% of it (which is very nice considering at least 2 of enemies you HAVE TO fight uses lasers - berserkers and aliens).
and, depending on storyline you choose, you can eventually end up ALONE agains all SAM's berserker hordes and several Chimeras, and that is hell of a massacre..

increasing HP/shield regen of fighters would be nice, but who would possibly want to do that? I mean there is some 150 of them (at least)
By the way, I remember those endgame battles. Freaking brutal.

Like I said, lasers are too strong, and even on hard mode not enough enemies are carrying laser defence. Wait, do you mean every single ship in the game has manual values for things like hp regen? They don't share a base value?

Edit: Wait, Aliens use lasers? I thought they used those funky blaster thingies? Their capships do appear to use lasers though but you don't really need to fight those. Well, except maybe that one time.

I don't know the exact dispersion formula but afaik:1 - maximum dispersion, 0 - no dispersion. Probably all more than 1 is considered 1. E.g. function called by "Cannon Adjustment" perk.

[ . . . ]

This perk simply reduces dispersion by 99%. It doesn't improve accuracy when the target has significant angular velocity but bullets are not sprayed all over the sky.
Imo this perk has no sense to me. Pilot can improve his accuracy - ok. Pilot magically controlling gun parameters - no. It should be a system which does this or one time (for each gun) buyable improvement (gunsmith or something).
Hmm, basically what that does is:
- Does pilot have perk? Return dispersion * 0.01 (i.e. reduced 99%)
- Else return dispersion * 1 (i.e. unchanged)

You're right, this logically shouldn't be a perk (we can think of better things for perks).

Do you have any idea if non-gun (i.e. missiles) dispersion also goes through this function? I'm not sure how I can test this.

Edit:
Looking through perkDispatcher.script shows the effect of the passive perks. Hmm. I suppose missiles simply ignore the dispersion value :/

Edit:
ObjectInfo.script has something more on weapons. Apparently for gun dispersion, <.5 is "high accuracy", >0.5 to <1 is medium, and >1 is low. There's a similar section on missile jamming but that's more straightforward. The very first function in that script, CalculateRateOfFire, i don't exactly understand.

function CalculateRateOfFire(recharge_time, rate_of_fire, burst_count)
local ck = (burst_count * 60) / (recharge_time + rate_of_fire);
return ck;
end;

Goblin Wizard
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
ObjectInfo.script has something more on weapons. Apparently for gun dispersion, <.5 is "high accuracy", >0.5 to <1 is medium, and >1 is low. There's a similar section on missile jamming but that's more straightforward.
Function CalculateGunAccuracy simply changes displayed text for accuracy (Low, Medium, High). Nothing else. The same for missile jamming.

The very first function in that script, CalculateRateOfFire, i don't exactly understand.
This function calculates rate of fire showed in the gun info window. What you don't understand?

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 06:44 AM
That burst count value, I don't think I've seen it mentioned. There is already rate of fire, right? I thought that already shows the firing speed. Hmm... is burst count a limit on the number of attacks?
Edit:
Ahhh it's in the guns' definition, sorry x_x Something like how many shots fired per attack, like that? The thing is... there is already a rate_of_fire value, so that's why I don't understand why need a function to calculate it again.

I'll try the calculation with the alien blaster gun ("ASG") and see what I get.
ck = (burst_count * 60) / (recharge_time + rate_of_fire)
= ( 6 * 60 ) / ( 1 + 1 )
= 360 / 2
= 180
Hmm. I guess that number is the one displayed on the trade screen when we view a weapon. I see... I wrongly assumed we don't need the other values; in that case we'd get a steady stream of bullets every X seconds, and doesn't account for weapon bursts.

@sidius:
Ah, I see what you're referring to, the energy_restore tags in Carcasses.xml. Actually, that's not so large a problem - i can simply write a PHP script to recalculate all the values. We're assuming the default ones are all balanced though :) Personally, I'd like slightly less shields, higher shield regen, and higher armor hp.

Whether this is a good thing or not is up for debate though, I'm just making guesses from my experience in the game.

sidius
06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
lol I've checked it now, Alien blasters are kinetic (Impact, Small)... they have just longer bullet of different color (think it's made by <bullet_length> and <sfx_index>)

hmm nevermind that, I've removed Alien tech requirement long ago from Alien weapons since noone could use them outside mission in Precursor system, which suxx. So since now I'm giving these blasters to those with Light weapons specialization, not lasers specialization.

one would think that if Alien Turrets are Lasers, blasters will be too..

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Isn't the damage type simply impact? I'm not sure between graph_type and sfx_index; there are other weapons also using sfx_index=2, not just the alien gun.

Edit:
Also noticed how modules extend each other in \Data\XMLSchema\AllModules.xsd. You know how some modules e.g. mothership engines have 2 functions (top speed, maneuverability) while other mothership engines have only 1? It may be possible to make other combos, like speed + maneuverability for fighters, or radar + cloaking.

I'm not really sure how cloaking works, does it lowering enemies' radar range? But if they have radar, then how?

StarShatter
06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
The dispersion perk itself is an ok concept. Doesn't need to be changed to upgrading @ a gunsmith. Technically the perk turns Ternie INTO a gunsmith. Most self respecting gunners and snipers should know enough about guns to keep them in top working conditions. You access it through the technician/system tree so it kinda makes sense?

Maybe just change it from 99% to 80% or 60%?

Would be cool if end game weapons had some differences as well.
Like plasma doing additional damage to shields. (Fearsome heavy weapon)
Lasers being weaker than both plasma and particle accelerators but more accurate. (Ease of use/noobs choice)
And particle accelerators being treated more like a sort of rail gun, powerful, kinetic style impact, but still with fast and accurate projectiles. (Sniper's tool)

No idea if the plasma bit is possible though. Aside from the heavy cannon perk there is no reason to actually use plasma as is :\

sidius
06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
imagine enemy has default 135 clicks sensor range, and you have 70% cloaking.
so enemy should see you from 40.5 clicks I guess (and that's shorter than weapon range, so you can start massacring them - that will alert them of you presence, but it's often too late).

too bad mothership is so slow. you know, pirate patrols will attack you just when they see you, and chasing them is out of question since they are 2x faster.

btw anyone knows what <sensor_resolution> should mean? most ships (playable) have 0.38, but for example Alien Dreadnought has just 0.2
is it some anti-cloaking detector?

could be (sensor range - % cloaking) + % sensor resolution?
that would go to 55.6 clicks not 40.5.. I think that's it, but it may mean something else.

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Chasing hostiles which have already seen you isn't a problem - the AI never runs away. Perhaps you mean trying to evade an upcoming encounter?

Ya default motherships suck eggs, I always fly Goblin Wizard's modded Silver Arrow - can't tolerate travelling at less than 2k speed now lol.

No idea on the sensor resolution thing, will have to take another look.

Goblin Wizard
06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
There is another parameter called EPR. It stands for english RCS (radar cross section). I really would like to know how all these parameters influence each other.
A little about sensor resolution here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=155544&postcount=47).

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Maybe the guys on the StarRover forum can help? I registered there during the weekend but the confirmation email has not arrived. Wanted to comment in the english-speakers thread. From what I understood they're supposed to have been working on a rather large mod which implemented quests, time-sensitive quests at that. Interesting.

Edit:
Hmm. You guys know there are these mothership modules which (1) increase max speed, (2) increase maneuverability, and (3) increase both?

m_bs_modules.loc
- #M_Name_BS_EngAmp1 = Buffalo (max speed +20%)
BS_EngAmp1; MovingForceModule

- #M_Name_BS_ManAmp = Buffalo Mk 2 (maneuverabilty +50%)
BS_ManAmp; ImproveManeuverabilityModule

- #M_Name_BS_EngManAmp1 = Elephant (max speed +15%, maneuverability +25%)
BS_EngManAmp1; SpeedAndSteeringPowerModule

I thought #3 is simply #1 and #2 mashed together. Unfortunately that is not the case :(

AllModules.xsd
<xs:complexType name="MovingForceModule">
<xs:complexContent>
<xs:extension base="SystemModule">
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="moving_force_ratio" type="TFloat">
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation>коэффициент увеличения скорости</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:extension>
</xs:complexContent>
</xs:complexType>
-
<xs:complexType name="ImproveManeuverabilityModule">
<xs:element name="rateOfManeuverability" type="TFloat"/>
-
<xs:complexType name="SpeedAndSteeringPowerModule">
<xs:element name="moving_force_ratio" type="TFloat">
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation>коэффициент увеличения скорости</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="rateOfSteeringPower" type="TFloat"/>

As you can see, even though both refer to maneuverability, <ImproveManeuverabilityModule> calls it <rateOfManeuverability>, while <SpeedAndSteeringPowerModule> calls it <rateOfSteeringPower>.

On the other hand, <moving_force_ratio> is the same, and the fighter items also use <moving_force_ratio>.

StarShatter
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Just Wondering:

If you put a gun on a ship, facing backwards (rotated in the IMD)... Would it fire backwards? and would it fire independently of the front facing guns?

Or has anyone tried this? Because if no one has, I think I might give it a go. :D

Err also, bit of help required. How do I add a ship to appear in certain shops, very rarely, like in a black market on a low %? Making two versions of the Dragon T, and I don't want the second one to appear in a "fixed" sort of way.

This: local Market=GetBlackMarket("nk");?
But with "harron" not "nk"?

And
"Market:ShipGoodsState("Gunslinger_grey0", RAND(5)+1, 1, 0.7);" would become "Market:ShipGoodsState("Dragon_te1", RAND(A)+1, B, C);"
A = number to stock? What about B and C?

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
I thought all guns fire independently? E.g. when I tell my mothership to fire at an asteroid on it's left, the left gun swings around to fire at it, but the right gun won't because it's out of the firing arc. Do the weapon definitions have this firing arc parameter?

Edit:
What I mean to say is, the guns seem to fire if target enters range, and doesn't seem to care if other guns can fire at the target or not. This is most noticeable on the slow, large mothership but I imagine it applies to fighters as well.

Okay, I tried combining mothership radar and mothership engine (mainly because the results should be easily seen in max speed + radar range increases).

1. Created definition in AllModules.xsd:

<xs:complexType name="ComboBSOne">
<xs:element name="moving_force_ratio" type="TFloat"/>
<xs:element name="resolution" type="TFloat"/>
<xs:element name="max_distance" type="TFloat"/>

I merely compared the separate definitions for RadarModule and MovingForceModule. Both start with the same extension to SystemModule, so I just added all three elements.

2. Added it to Modules.xsd:

<xs:element name="ComboBSOne" type="ComboBSOne" minOccurs="0"/>

This file contains the elements list, so I added my new one in.

3. Finally, edited an entry in Modules.xml so that it would point to the new item.

<ComboBSOne name="BS_EngAmp1">
<short_name>#M_Name_BS_EngAmp1</short_name>
<hint>#M_Hint_BS_EngAmp1</hint>
<short_desc>#M_SDesc_BS_EngAmp1</short_desc>
<long_desc>#M_LDesc_BS_EngAmp1</long_desc>
<mesh_name>systembox</mesh_name>
<flat_image>Mothership Engines 02</flat_image>
<hit_points>10000</hit_points>
<mass>10</mass>
<disable_trade>false</disable_trade>
<cost>140000</cost>
<technology/>
<attach_type>ONLY_BIGSHIP</attach_type>
<moving_force_ratio>1.2</moving_force_ratio>!!
<resolution>0.2</resolution>
<max_distance>400</max_distance>
</ComboBSOne>

I chose to edit BS_EngAmp1, the "Buffalo", which was originally a MovingForceModule entry. As you can see, I followed the definition and you can see the three element entries at the bottom: moving_force_ratio, resolution, and max_distance.

Game started fine, loaded an early save at Elio. Docked at a trade station... CTD. Here's what LOGfile.txt had to say at the end:

(22:12:26) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateGameObject('bs_engamp1') - element with specified name is not Is_A(CLSID_GameObject): className = 'ComboBSOne'
(22:12:26) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateObject('bs_engamp1') - game object not created!
(22:12:26) (ERROR) ModuleManager::CreateModule('bs_engamp1') - module not created

It's complaining about CLSID_GameObject... which I'm guessing is referring to a hardcoded parameter (?). So it looks like we can't make combination items.
:-x

Update:
This time I tried merely editing an existing definition. ImproveManeuverabilityModule looks like a good candidate, there are only 3 items associated with it. I opened AllModules.xsd and added a new element, "moving_force_ratio". Again, I chose this because if it works then the results should be visible on the trade screen.

Had to edit the three entries in Modules.xml to add the new moving_force_ratio value. These were ManAmp1, ManAmp2, and BS_ManAmp respectively. Started game, loaded Elio, docked at the trade station... and nothing happened. When I bought one of the modified items (BS_ManAmp, the "Buffalo Mk 2" 50% maneuverability boost) and installed it on the ship, the maneuverability increased, but not the top speed... even though I already added a moving_force_ratio element. The game didn't crash or complain, the modification was simply ignored.

So if the definitions are hardcoded, then why bother with the entire XMLSchema folder? Hmm, come to think of it, I've yet to see any mod actually change anything in here.

Rastix
06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
For now only speed and maneuverability can be combine

Trucidation
06-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes Rastix, but if the XML schema files weren't hardcoded this needn't be the case. I might be wrong on that last bit though, iirc Nanaki mentioned something about needing to edit them for custom perks.

Edit:
I'm doing a hella lot of editing on this forum, lol. But I dislike multiposting, it just looks messy.

Anyway... just some figures on missile jamming and effective antijamming values. Here's a quick recap of the formula in \Data\Scripts\AI\JamRocket.script:

function JamRocket(jamPower, antiJammer)
local pomeha = jamPower + 10 - RAND(30);
return pomeha > antiJammer;
end;

Basically we're given a 1 in 30 chance against the difference between an ECM/ACS's jamming value versus a missile's antijamming. That function takes in the jamming and anti values, and simply returns true or false.

(jam 10)
at anti 10 --> 20-X>10 for (0-9 out of 30) i.e. 33%
jam 10 fails for all anti 20+

(jam 20)
at anti 10 --> 30-X>10 for (0-19 out of 30) i.e. 66%
at anti 20 --> 30-X>20 for (0-9 out of 30) i.e. 33%
jam 20 fails for all anti 30+

(jam 30)
at anti 10 --> 40-X>10 for (0-30) i.e. 100%
at anti 20 --> 40-X>20 for (0-19 out of 30) i.e. 66%
at anti 30 --> 40-X>30 for (0-9 out of 30) i.e. 33%
jam 30 fails for all anti 40+

(jam 40)
at anti 20 --> 50-X>20 for (0-30) i.e. 100%
at anti 30 --> 50-X>30 for (0-19 out of 30) i.e. 66%
at anti 40 --> 50-X>40 for (0-9 out of 30) i.e. 33%
jam 40 fails for all anti 50+

Missile antijamming and a jammer of the same level equates to a 1-in-3 chance, and each point of jamming roughly adds 3.3% effectiveness.

We have 5 levels of antijamming on missiles, starting from 0 (no antijamming), 10, 20, 30, and 40. The alien missiles and torpedoes are rated 50 btw so technically they're supposed to be unstoppable. As you can see, anything rated 2 levels below (ECM/ACS=40 versus missile antijamming=20) is always countered, and anything 1 level above (ECM/ACS=20 versus missile antijamming=30) always passes.

So with the best antijamming equipment (rating 40), you'll always stop at least 3 classes of missiles (no jam, 10, and 20), 1 in 3 chances of getting hit by a missile rated 30, and 2 in 3 chances of getting hit with a missile rated 40.

Hmm, the figures aren't bad. Not too strong, and not useless.

Rastix
06-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't forget about tech perk and their modifiers

Trucidation
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, this is just the function for the base values so that players have some idea how well the perk-less enemies they fight against fare.

Edit:
Just found another amusing picture, perhaps someone might want to use it for a pilot portrait...

Kothyxaan
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
quick question, if you change the equipment slots on a fighter, is it changed for the enemy as well?

i changed trident so that instead of
3 small guns
1 rocket slot
4 systems

it has
3 small guns
5 systems

will other ships ie npc's/enemy have the 3 small guns, 5 system layout as well?

Goblin Wizard
06-09-2010, 08:44 PM
It depends. If you changed only player version, no problem.
Which files did you modify?

Trucidation
06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I haven't bothered modding ships yet, but like Goblin Wizard mentions, ships come in many different variations.

When we say "Bident" we think "oh, missile ship", but when you run a search though the definitions in Carcasses.xml there's actually 8 versions of those. Then from those 8 definitions, ShipDescriptions.xml expands it into 23 actual loadouts -- I'm guessing the player one is the one with the "_pl" tag (the others are like "_pat" for patrol and "_tri" for Triada). I'm not quite sure why they have a number behind them, though (_pl0, _pl1), but it's likely just multiple variations of the same ship for that faction.

This is why I haven't bothered with ships yet. Too many variations to keep track of. I might be using my script to tweak the hp and shield restore values though.

There is another parameter called EPR. It stands for english RCS (radar cross section). I really would like to know how all these parameters influence each other.
A little about sensor resolution here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=155544&postcount=47).
Not just ships but missiles have this EPR value as well. In Rockets.xml, all rocket definitions are using the same EPR value (0.05). I'm not sure how it relates to radar, because in Modules.xml rocket entries don't have a radar range - they simply have min/max firing range. Additionally, detonators for MIRV-type rockets have a <radius_search_target> value. I suppose this is "radar" for the secondary warheads it splits into.

In Modules.xml radars modules have 2 values, resolution and max_distance. In Carcasses.xml ship definitions only have EPR value (just like missiles? hmmm).

-
Edit:
One more thing, I was comparing the so-called rapid fire heavy guns and kinetic heavy guns because one of the gunnery perks says it improves skill on both "small guns and rapid fire guns". But looking at the Modules.xml entry for the M-106 Bardiche ("HC1", heavy kinetic gun) and the M-200E Vulcan ("VC1", heavy rapid fire gun), how does the game tell one is a rapid fire weapon while the other is not? They are both using IMPACT damage_type. Actually even plasma guns do IMPACT damage (huh wtf??). So I took a closer look at the guns, and all of them either deal IMPACT or LASER damage. Only two types of damage?

There is a graph_type, and this one does show more variety (BIG, SMALL, PLASMA, LASER) but I thought this was referring to the projectile graphics. By the way it seems like the sfx_index are referring to entries in \Data\PFX\Projectiles.sfx (e.g. the Alien gun "ASG" is type SMALL and sfx index 2, and if you look into Projectiles.sfx under the small guns' entries ("TracerSFX_"), the third entry (0, 1, 2) has a COLOR RGB index of 14,144,215... exactly the light blue colour of the alien gun's bullets.

I need to find the perks so I can see how gunnery is being calculated.