PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2010-03-12 Screenshots and Discussion Thread

luthier
03-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Hello gents,

A quick update tonight showing a Ju-88 attack formation being intercepted by some Spitfires, and a quick look at our WIP single-player training.

Some notes:

1. Everything is WIP!
2. Text messages on screen are temporary, will be replaced with final ones closer to release.
3. Propellers are stationary in pause mode because time is static, i.e. they're not currently rotating. It's an option you can toggle.
4. Don't ask about the markings on the Ju-88.

Kye
03-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Looks like it's coming along nicely. :)

Rodolphe42

Thanks Luthier !

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/SpitJU88a.jpg

BadAim
That first one is now my desktop, it looks like photo's of ju88 pasted into the game. I'm sooooo stoked about SOW.

kristorf
03-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Now thats more like it, thx gents (and ladies)

Flanker35M
03-12-2010, 02:09 PM
S!

Nice shots.

easytarget3
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Hello
thank you for update news, i am always so happy for any news and pics. I guess the ground is still WIP so i wont comment on this. Just small question, can you take training missions in different planes?

keep the hard work

cu

kendo65
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks,

A BIG thrill to see an in-flight scene like that with multiple aircraft, even though the WIP status is obvious.

The flight-training with the Tiger Moth looks intriguing (and useful)

Tte. Costa
03-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Tx Luthier!
Recently I´ve been in London Imperial War Museum.
The third and forth screenshoots remembers me the Spit hanging there.
Great!

Letum
03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the update!

Abbeville-Boy
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Is the trainer getting ready to land with a tail or a head wind? The sea condition seems to suggest that the landing may be with a tail wind. Any thought on this luthier

ChrisDNT
03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
" I guess the ground is still WIP so i wont comment on this..."

Me too.

I just hope they will get the right colors for a British landscape.

Avimimus
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Brilliant! I can see where the new communications/text message system is going.

Also, very brave (given the incomplete terrain and lack of AA)! Now we know exactly where the sim is at (and it is very promising)!

Feuerfalke
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Again, the little details are amazing. Just look at the coolant lines inside that radiator opening - awesome!

ChrisDNT
03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
We all know that BoB will be a great sim, but frankly, these screenshots are just WIP's with much aleasing, not the final colors, low-res textures and low geometry on the sea coasts. So, I understand that we can wait for this sim with enthusiasm, but come on, reserve enthusiasm for something enthusiastic !
Here we can rather say "nice, keep on working, good job."

ECV56_Lancelot
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Leaving aside the WIP ground, the seccond screenshot looks IMPRESSIVE. The sun refraction (don´t know if its the right term) on yhe belly of the spitfire make it look beautifull. Also the spitfire textures look great.
The sea, as always, its incredible well represented.

Questions:

1- Its most noticeable on the third screenshot, but looks like a clear line that surrounds the shape of the Ju-88. Like when you cut an image and paste it over another image. Why is that? Because there is not AA? The Tigermoth screenshot doesnt show that, but maybe its just me.

2- In my opinion, on the third screenshot, the wheel looks good but still looks a little plastic, not like rubber. Maybe because it reflects too much light. Its nitpicking and ONLY an opinion, also maybe its just me. :)

3- Will those "floating flight path markers" be final? Because they look very ugly! :D

Thanks for the update, and agree that looks like the simulation and engine is advancing strong now, with the finetuning of the graphics still on work.

Qpassa
03-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update ^.^

choctaw111
03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Thank you for the update.
Everything looks just great!

Blackdog_kt
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Very nice of you to show us WIP-heavy screenshots when it's 99% sure that someone will be along shortly to say they look ugly :lol:

I like it to be honest. I'm not overwhelmed, but i like it and it shows us the puzzle pieces are falling into place. Nice details like the prop-pitch angle being visible, the self-shadowing, etc.

Interesting radio commands as well ;)

Edit: Spotted a couple more. First of all, the ground visibility range looks huge compared to IL2. Also, in the first screenshot we can see distinguishable ground formations underneath that Ju88, it looks like some fortified positions. Combined with the visibility range it will make for some nice bombing sorties, as we will be able to pick out the target sufficiently early and set up the bomb run. Good job overall!

Grey
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks Luthier! Excellent news! :) I wait even more!

philip.ed
03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Great update! Next time, some Hurricane cockpit pics please....:P

nearmiss
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Looking at the landing loops in Bristol pic. It would seem you have setup for more efficient landing patterns and some training.

Is it possible or programmed in FMB to change landing patterns for AI flights?

Baron
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
First pic: I like how the canopy framing of the Ju88 casts shadows on the engine necelle when sun shines through the cockpit. :)

Dont wanna jinks it but to me, even though its all very much wip, it looks like it wont be long before we get to see the really good stuff we all been waiting for.

Keep up the good work.

luthier
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your comments guys, glad to see a changing attitude to these things.

The landscape is actually getting along very well. There's a nice stretch of it visible in the first Ju-88 pic, see if you can figure out where they're flying.

robtek
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Must be NW from Dover, me thinks.

AdMan
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
these were taken in dx9?

akdavis
03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Why does everything looks a bit hazy, even at very short range?

Baron
03-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Luthier.

The first pic, what altitude is those Ju88 at?

Foo'bar
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I like the realistic shapes of the rivers :)

Rodolphe42
03-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Again, the little details are amazing. Just look at the coolant lines inside that radiator opening - awesome!

Well, those ducts are installed to carry warm air from behind the radiator to the gun positions to keep them warm enough for instant operation at high altitudes. 8)

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/GHD.jpg

Fig 10, A.P. 1565E Vol I Sect 11 (not a Mk I manual ) .

Borsch
03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Great pics, but HATE the "hoops" in training idea... Training is ruined by such stuff- why? The immersion is KILLED by sci-fi hoops in WW2 flying sim! Training should be immersive too, please!

Chivas
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Great pics, but HATE the "hoops" in training idea... Training is ruined by such stuff- why? The immersion is KILLED by sci-fi hoops in WW2 flying sim! Training should be immersive too, please!

Hoops are probably optional.

Blackdog_kt
03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I guess there will be an option to turn the rings off (in the training pic).

What i liked most was that they seem to have really researched the aircraft operating manuals.
If you take a look at the messages, the instructor says he's unlocking the slats for you. Well, the Tiger Moth slats were automatic, but could be locked in the closed position so that they wouldn't open when you don't expect it during maneuvers.

Since they are useful for takeoff and landing however, the usual thing to do was start with them unlocked, lock them after take off and then finally unlock them again during the approach.

Excellent attention to detail not only modelling that, but also having the "experienced instructor" do it for us "rookies" and also tell us about it, so that we gradually start learning about such stuff and remembering it in future flights.

That's exactly the kind of stuff i wanted to see in SoW, the little things that will keep our hands full even when there's no combat around.

philip.ed
03-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Luthier, those terrain textures aren't final are they? Because if they are, then I think there is vast room for improvement! :D

koivis
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Luthier, those terrain textures aren't final are they? Because if they are, then I think there is vast room for improvement! :D

1. Everything is WIP!

:rolleyes:

Anyway, nice and promising update, keep them coming!

Richie
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I think the hoops are a good idea for the kind of people who buy IL-2 and say "How the hell am I supposed to learn how to fly this thing!" Those types need the cuddling and the pats on the head saying "Well done"! or they get board and take it back and go back to their CFS3.

Sutts
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Very nice update, thanks Luthier. Things really look like they're coming together now. I don't know what it is but the sky feels like a big place now, just like it should be. Must be the ground detail or viewing distance?

Keep up the good work:grin:

philip.ed
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Anyway, nice and promising update, keep them coming!

I said in my post before that I knew (and have known) that everything is WIP, but above Luthier hinted that some parts of the final terrain were present here.

major_setback
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the update.
It's nice at last to see the first 'battle' type scenario.

Questions:

1. Will trains go into tunnels?

2. We have heard that users will be given tools so they can make their own planes and maps etc. and buildings too maybe
Will users also be able to make buildings that may receive official approval, and incorporation into the main game? I mean if users wanted to build The Royal Albert Hall, Admiralty Arch, Wembley Stadium, Museums, Cathedrals, and other important buildings that the development team don't have time to make...is there a chance that the development team might consider adding them to the main game?
I can imagine that some modellers would maybe make a whole village, or even a town in high detail.

3. Is the Korean add-on for the SoW series still in active development, or has all work been 'paused' until BoB has been finished?

4. Is any modelling work of trains/buildings/aircraft/terrain being done on any other sequel to BoB (Russian front or Med' add-ons) by the development team?
The reason I ask this is that some modellers might have completed all they can for SoW:BoB and may have started on other projects; aircraft modellers for example...I'm hoping for a quick release of the sequel!!! :-) :-)

Well done!
Keep happy,
Keep developing :-)

335th_GRSwaty
03-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the update!

I like the rings,remember for many people new sim maybe their first one!

Robert
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Luthier. Nice work guys.... and it's nice to see various elements come together and to also notice new details in the pictures. We have a sharp set of eyes here in the forum.

Thanks again.

76.IAP-Blackbird
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
What I`m very hapy about is the new lightning system, the use of coloured light reflections on the planes surface, just take a close look, Oleg showed us much more than you can imagine on the first look. There are many hints about the engine of SOW!!! Great!!!

Richie
03-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Speaking of engine I hear the sound is going to be great.

jermin
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
The wire on the aircraft is still a dotted line, just like in IL2. Are you gonna fix this in the final release?

Also note that in the second screenshot there is also a dotted line between the wings and flaps of the spitfire, which also appeare on other aircrafts.

This graphics glitch can really kill the immersion when being looked at distance in IL2, even if SSAA is enabled.

Skoshi Tiger
03-12-2010, 11:58 PM
What i liked most was that they seem to have really researched the aircraft operating manuals.
If you take a look at the messages, the instructor says he's unlocking the slats for you. Well, the Tiger Moth slats were automatic, but could be locked in the closed position so that they wouldn't open when you don't expect it during maneuvers.

Since they are useful for takeoff and landing however, the usual thing to do was start with them unlocked, lock them after take off and then finally unlock them again during the approach.

From memory, slats on the tiger moth were locked for aerobatics. One of the last things you'ld want was to loose a slat when your performing a loop.

About the training hoops, I think that anything that gets new pilots into the sim with as little trouble as possible is a good thing. Hey even us "experienced" pilots could use a little refresher at times. A lot of us (myself included) perform some very dodgy landings at times that would probably get us grounded for life. a bit of practice in using the correct procedures wouldn't hurt!

Cheers!

Romanator21
03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Even though the terrain is WIP, do you mind telling us what you plan to do with it? Overall, I like what I see. The rivers seem like a huge improvement already, and I love the appearance of the Channel. :)

Modding_Monkey
03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
This is looking very good! I really like the Spit's bottom. About the skins. What are you using? 2048x2048 or less?

A take the edges of the wings as you are not using AA any level at allow.

ECV56_LeChuck
03-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Hi Oleg/Luthier, I have a new question:
in IL-2 the distant terrain texture looks a little blurry, and BoB looks the same. I´ve seen some screenshots of ROF an unlike this screenshots, the terrain of ROF keeps detailed over distance.
I know that anisotropic filtering gives more detail, but it seems that the engine reduces the texture quality on long distances/high altitude. Is that correct?
Greetings!

TheGrunch
03-13-2010, 02:47 AM
I know that anisotropic filtering gives more detail, but it seems that the engine reduces the texture quality on long distances/high altitude. Is that correct?
Greetings!
It seems that none of the screenshots so far have been taken with either anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering enabled. Anisotropic filtering IS very memory intensive, and large terrain textures take up a lot of space. Look at the size of these expansion textures (http://download.orbit.m6.net/mirror.html) for Orbiter by comparison with the original package, and bear in mind that these have to be loaded into memory.
For a modern game, though, this should not be an issue. I'm a bit baffled as to why none of the screenshots yet have been taken with either AA or AF and I'd say that they are two biggest issues that are really letting the quality of these previews down so far. Well, there's also the colour palette, which still looks very little like rural Britain.

mark@1C
03-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Well, the last screenshot reminds me of the Aerodancing/AeroWings(Elite) Series presented by SEGA...hoho...It is a good game for beginners, especially the tutorial mission...

virre89
03-13-2010, 06:11 AM
I truly hope we will be flying by October :-).
Your work is very amazing and can't wait to immerse oneself into BOB.

Getting kinda depressing with all the bad PC games lately, the industry is going over the top casual even for the "arcade" shooters,
heck even Call of Duty used to be fun and PC exclusive back in the days. Did buy BFBC2 tho, a decent BF title yet so console influenced compared to previous PC iterations. :(.

Soon they are gonna make games that just wins themselves with a push of a button...
And i mean when Quake 1, Cs 1.6 had more server sided options than 95% of any modern game you know where things are going.

I can probably say that the only real PC games i am gonna enjoy fully this year will be
Red Orchestra 2 , Arma 2 Arrowhead and Storm of War Battle of Britain.

Dunno why i mentioned this, just felt like it, ranting a bit sorry :) 1C, Tripwire is amongst a few developers who still bring hope :)

TheGrunch
03-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Chasing the graphics dragon is killing the industry, IMO. Look at Mount&Blade...one of the most fun games I've ever played and yet 90% of the people who see it for the first time are so obsessed with the idea that a game's worth is measured in how good it looks that they just go "looks crap" and don't play it. Thank God they got enough attention to develop Warband and bring the graphics up to a level that FPS players will accept.

AKA_Tenn
03-13-2010, 06:31 AM
I really doubt many of the textures used in those screenshots are final... if they are, its with the graphics features pretty much turned off... those graphics were definitly directx 9 there's no tesselation... the shadows are super low quality... and unless all those planes were brand spanking new off the factory floor... i doubt they'd be so sparkly clean heck even no dirt on the wheels...

if anything i'd say... the graphics represented in those screens is what the game look like to those who can play il2 1946 on perfect settings w/o AA/AF right now... that is... keeping in mind the textures are definitly not done... im only thinking this because they wouldn't release a game that couldn't be played on the majority of peoples computers... and i'd say nowadays most peoples computers can run 1946 on perfect settings...

TheGrunch
03-13-2010, 06:35 AM
if anything i'd say... the graphics represented in those screens is what the game will look like to those who can play il2 1946 on perfect settings w/o AA/AF right now... that is... keeping in mind the textures are definitly not done :P
Yeah, those are definitely just extremely low-res textures.

Rodolphe42
03-13-2010, 07:35 AM

From memory, slats on the tiger moth were locked for aerobatics. One of the last things you'ld want was to loose a slat when your performing a loop.

Cheers!

Extract from Tiger Moth PN about the Automatic Slots.

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/AutoSlot2.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/AutoSlot3.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/AutoSlot1.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/AutoSlot.jpg

mark@1C
03-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I agree that Graphics are not everything, and it's an old topic, isn't it?
And what we need, for example, is Gran Turismo 5 performs like Gran Turismo 5, Mario Racing performs like Mario Racing, that's all.
And it's no doubt for everyone here I think, if the Graphic is the ONLY thing to mention, that will be terrible indeed, just like the new release of the well-know series of subsim.

Skoshi Tiger
03-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Extract from Tiger Moth PN about the Automatic Slots.

Just getting our slots and slats mixed up :) or does the slot go between the slat and the wing???? I don't know?????

In the checklists shown it states slots unlocked for takeoff and landing and locked for aerobatics, is their a page discussing what state they should be in for general flying (cruise, climb , decent)? If so could you please post the page. (here or in a more appropriate thread?).

I wonder if there is a pdf of the pilot notes around some where? I think we will need it for our training.

Cheers!

Daniël
03-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Great shots. Keep going!

Blackdog_kt
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Just getting our slots and slats mixed up :) or does the slot go between the slat and the wing???? I don't know?????

In the checklists shown it states slots unlocked for takeoff and landing and locked for aerobatics, is their a page discussing what state they should be in for general flying (cruise, climb , decent)? If so could you please post the page. (here or in a more appropriate thread?).

I wonder if there is a pdf of the pilot notes around some where? I think we will need it for our training.

Cheers!

I think it could pretty much depend on what you want to do. Do you want to have the slats pop open if you pull too much on the stick during the climb? Or do you want to keep them closed and stall easier so that you don't get the bad habit of slowing down too much?
After all this is a training aircraft, the slats are some sort of "safety net" for the trainee, easy stalls on your first flights then real stalls as you go along. It will be fun to fly online with a friend who's got no flight sim experience and train them ;)

For solo flying, these things are like auto-flaps in a sense and i think the Tiger Moth doesn't have any real flaps, so i'd use them whenever i use flaps in other planes.
Since maneuvering violently with them unlocked is not recommended, that leaves take-off and landing. You could keep them unlocked in cruise and they won't be deployed if you are going fast enough.

I've flown a freeware (but very well done) Tiger Moth add-on for FSX, the manual for it states pretty much similar stuff to the manual Rodolphe linked, that slats should be locked for taxi and aerobatics, so i think you could leave them unlocked for everything else or set it according to preference.

Freycinet
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Thx for the update. To me the Spit main wheels look too small inside the wheel well, would like to know if others feel the same.

AndyJWest
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
...the Spit main wheels look too small inside the wheel well
Now that is getting picky! I see what you mean, but I think it is an illusion caused by the fact that you aren't looking square-on to the wing, so you can't see the whole wheel. I'd be surprised if Oleg & co have got something as obvious as the tyre diameter wrong.

What I do like is that they've got the subtle curves of the lower wing/fuselage fillet blending right. This is an awkward compound curve, and I've seen construction kits for example get it way off. Somebody was paying real attention to detail there...

SlipBall
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the update...I don't like the rings either, but I'm sure that they can be turned off (I would think). Anyway, looking good! Another thing that does not look good, is the absence of a sand beach along the coast, but I know this is still WIP

Wave action/coastal storms, tides, salt, tend to eliminate most vegetation near the waters edge worldwide.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/shot_20100312_172012.jpg

example: Northern France

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/ScreenHunter_01Mar131353.jpg

example: near my location:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/4-4413.jpg
(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/4-4413.jpg)

swat007
03-13-2010, 04:32 PM
My SOW:BOB in game screenshot

8-)

I more than satisfied with this :grin:

BadAim
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM

8-)

I like that all cleaned up that way. I hope you don't mind that I stole it ;)

proton45
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the update...I don't like the rings either, but I'm sure that they can be turned off (I would think). Anyway, looking good! Another thing that does not look good, is the absence of a sand beach along the coast, but I know this is still WIP

Wave action/coastal storms, tides, salt, tend to eliminate most vegetation near the waters edge worldwide.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/sh_20100312_172012.jpg

example: Northern France

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/SlipBall/ScreenHter_01Mar131353.jpg

example: near my location:

http://i51.photobucket.com/ms/f394/SlipBall/4-4413.jpg
(http://i51.photobucket.coalbums/f394/SlipBall/4-13.jpg)

Didn't Oleg say recently that they where working on just the thing your pointing out?!?! I believe he said that they where working on the beach textures "now" (at least this was the reason he gave for, why he wasn't ready to post "final textures" yet)...

Anyway (lol)...

SlipBall
03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Didn't Oleg say recently that they where working on just the thing your pointing out?!?! I believe he said that they where working on the beach textures "now" (at least this was the reason he gave for, why he wasn't ready to post "final textures" yet)...

Anyway (lol)...

Thanks! I had not read that statement by him, I'll leave those shots up for awhile...sorry no bikini babes

Zorin
03-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Especially on the last screenshot there is a rather obvious fault reoccurring, that already let IL-2 down quite a bit.

The scaling of the texture is all wrong. I know it is a placeholder, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it like this on the final ones. Just compare the size of the runway and the road.

Besides, I had high hopes to not see roads that are part of the texture again...

Another thing is that the bump map is the wrong way around. The roads are raised instead of the fields, which is even more pronounced in the Ju88 shots.

Well, here is hoping that the finals will surpass the quality of some of the new maps made by the mod community, which are head and shoulders above these.

kendo65
03-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Believe it is still way too early to judge what the final map will look like from these shots.

For starters no trees or buildings are visible - the forested areas are obviously just flat placeholders. I expect there will be a representation of hedgerows in the final version which will really add to an English countryside feel. Oleg did mention they were working on the river banks / coastlines textures to try to get them right.

Also, and surprised it's necessary to state the bleedin' obvious again :

Some notes:

1. Everything is WIP!

It seems that no matter how many times we're told (and I'm guilty too!) we can't resist leaping to judgement from what the current state is to acute disappointment of what the final will be like.

kendo65
03-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Besides, I had high hopes to not see roads that are part of the texture again...

Another thing is that the bump map is the wrong way around. The roads are raised instead of the fields, which is even more pronounced in the Ju88 shots.

Hi Zorin,

I suspect that some of what appears to be roads are actually going to be the hedgerows. (Could be wrong on this, but if you look at the screenshots you will find that just about EVERY field has what appears to be a road around its perimeter - and there is obviously NO WAY that every English field was so well served in 1940 (or even now!))

But check the photo of the French countryside in Slipball's post a few back - hedgerows around nearly every field - and the English one's will be the same.

(Hope I'm right on this ;) )

Richie
03-13-2010, 08:25 PM
We've seen Spitfires flying over trees. I made a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzRLwSbpQ4

lbuchele
03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Your video made me realize that this time (not in Il2) I will love to be a Stuka pilot.
Mud moving will be a must in this new series.

Richie
03-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Right. I think as the weeks go by people tend to forget what has passed and been shown. Those pics of the Spitfire and 109 are great. I would love to see some videos of those zooming by but that will be coming I'm sure sooner or later.

Blakduk
03-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Love the look of the new WIP screenshots- the look of the crew crowded together in the Ju88 looks fantastic. I would love to see a closer screenshot to see how the shadowing looks on them.
The shot of the rings with the Tiger Moth looks great- i vital element missing from the Il2 series was enough emphasis on training elements for novice pilots. I believe the Il2 community came up with good solutions to this gap, however seeing a proper trainer aircraft with what appears to be a proper training routine looks brilliant.
With the new game engine that i understand will simulate weather more accurately (headwinds, tailwinds, shear (?) etc) such training will be invaluable.

Looking at the formation of Ju88's, will it be possible to create formations of 'boxes', with smaller elements of larger formations staggered in height to maximise defensive fire?

Keep the hints coming Oleg- i am getting seriously interested now!

major_setback
03-13-2010, 11:04 PM

8-)

Ohhh!!! Now I just had to edit something :-)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Setback2shot_20100312_175448copy.jpg

Bigger:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Setbackshot_20100312_175448copy.jpg

swat007
03-14-2010, 08:27 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Setback2shot_20100312_175448copy.jpg

Bigger:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/major-setback/Setbackshot_20100312_175448copy.jpg

WoW looks like WOP but more clean :)

Bungmiester
03-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I am really looking foward to this on release, seems to be shaping up nicely, as I have been lurking here for some time.
Just a note about the pilot bailing out animations, when bailing out of a Spitfire or Hurricane experienced pilots usually rolled the aircraft on it back and opened the canopy and dropped out as this was the fastest and easiest way to get out, if your canopy was not jammed.
''better late than never'':-)

Skarphol
03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
I've never seen those antennaes to the tailplane of the Spit before. Anyone who knows anything about them? Been trying to find pictures on the net of those antennaes but haven't had any sucsess thus far.

Skarphol

zakkandrachoff
03-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Bigger:

i don't think so. you edited pic is like south italy. south England and north France are so green fields. I think is more green than Lutiher put in the pics.

bolox
03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I've never seen those antennaes to the tailplane of the Spit before. Anyone who knows anything about them? Been trying to find pictures on the net of those antennaes but haven't had any sucsess thus far.

Skarphol

http://www.ipmsstockholm.net/forum/eng/article.asp?data=9087835437_~d_20080430_175603_~t_ Aerial_wires_~a_Sergio_Ceccherini.xml&article=118186475

and
http://www.spitfiresite.com/reference/variants-technology/2008/06/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.htm

RedToo
03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
With reference to the pic edited and posted by Major_Setback. The hedge rows around all the fields which are white in the screenshot would be varying shades of green but for the fields there would be a large variety of colours. The summer of 1940 was very hot and dry - there would be lots of lighter coloured fields in southern England as a result.

RedToo.

Skarphol
03-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Bolox!

From the pages you linked to:

"Also starting in late September Mk I IFF "Pipsqueak" began being introduced. Spitfire equipped with this had a wire which emerged from a small insulator just forward and towards the top of the red centre spot of the fuselage roundel running to the tip of the tailplane. "

and

"Also in late September and early October Spitfires started being fitted with Mk. I IFF equipment. This equipment received a signal transmitted from ground radar equipment and retransmitted it, creating a distinctive bright blip on the radar screen. The receiver and transmitter wires emerged from small insulators just in front of and slightly above the red centre spot of the fuselage roundels on both sides. The wires were anchored to the tailplane tips. "

I've never read about or heard of these before!

Skarphol

AdMan
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Anyway (lol)...

yes, land textures and I believe terrain transitions are WIP from what I remember and understand

Rodolphe42
03-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Wanna see the land textures ? Flying low over the Kent , the White Cliff and Beachy Head ?

http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=19672e01&a=feature

ESCAPE LIVE'S GRAVITY

;)

Ikarus
03-15-2010, 10:27 AM
nice video:o

drafting
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, that's a great video! (with amazing camera work!)

proton45
03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I like the video...

Tata
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Wanna see the land textures ? Flying low over the Kent , the White Cliff and Beachy Head ?

ESCAPE LIVE'S GRAVITY

;)

This landscape in video - still WIP? :P

philip.ed
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Great video :D

Richie
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Nice. I wonder if the Flugwerk plans to make any 109's. They're making 20 FW 190 A8s. I just wrote them to find out

He111
03-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Excellent video, love the sound of the FW190 and did I see a Lysander!?

Romanator21
03-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Yup, there was a Lysander there alright. I never knew any were still flying :grin:.

To be fair, even though Luthier said it was WIP, it's nice to know where it will be going, or at what level of WIP is WIP. Adding a couple of bushes, or replacing textures or modifying the color palate entirely? Once could say both of these extremes are WIP. But which is more indicative of the final product?

AndyJWest
03-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I believe a Lysander was undergoing restoration in Canada - perhaps that was it.

I have a suspicion that Oleg is holding back on some stuff, rather than showing his best now. That way, when it does come out, it will generate more publicity and outside interest. It's worth remembering that only a very small proportion of the potential purchasers of SoW:BoB will be looking at his WIP releases.

In any case, if it is not as advanced as Oleg would have liked it to be by now, I hope he has the nerve (and backing) to stick with his plan, and not get forced into a premature release. The last thing we want is a repeat of the Silent Hunter 5 fiasco - though I suspect that SoW:BoB is further advanced than that is, even now...

Freycinet
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM

ESCAPE LIVE'S GRAVITY

;)

I hope OLEG sees this video! Glorious in 2500 kbps!

furbs
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
even if he just looks at the colour of the fields...please for the love of god get the colour of the fields right....pls no more bright greens!!!

Richie
03-16-2010, 10:43 PM
The Adjutant insignia. I think it would be a cool I idea to have it available in the numbers of German fighters. Werner Schroer's 109 is an example. You would need the Chevron and the Adjutant all in one choice.

https://www.aviationillustration.com/shop/images/Bf.109.F.03.jpg

Richie
03-16-2010, 11:04 PM
You can tell it's Werner who gets Niki.

http://s602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/Bartels109/?action=view&current=WernerGotNiki.flv

blades96
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
even if he just looks at the colour of the fields...please for the love of god get the colour of the fields right....pls no more bright greens!!!

+1
Don't know if it is haze or what but the ground colours in real life never look as luminescent as those in Il-2, whose colours seem more tropical.

leggit
03-17-2010, 12:36 PM
colour ranges and tempertures within the context that they are being discussed here is a little subjective.. each computer/monitor setup is different its not as if we all have generic settings and hardware so we experience a game(s) in exactly the same way as the next person. For example I imagine a lot of people here have LCD monitiors rather than CRT....within the CG industry CRT are still considered superior to LCD monitors particually when it comes to colour.

If you do have issues with colour 9 out of 10 times its local settings rather than the game designers.:)

virre89
03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
colour ranges and tempertures within the context that they are being discussed here is a little subjective.. each computer/monitor setup is different its not as if we all have generic settings and hardware so we experience a game(s) in exactly the same way as the next person. For example I imagine a lot of people here have LCD monitiors rather than CRT....within the CG industry CRT are still considered superior to LCD monitors particually when it comes to colour.

If you do have issues with colour 9 out of 10 times its local settings rather than the game designers.:)

Agree.
I think it's pathetic to argu over colors at this stage anyhow.

furbs
03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
whos arguing about colours?...im just hoping they get the colours right :)

13th Hsqn Protos
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Agree.

Apparently not for you ....

drafting
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Agree.

Well, heck... if they're swapping over the terrain textures and graphics right now and fine-tuning the look of the game, it seems like this is the perfect time to be arguing about colors! :grin:

AndyJWest
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, heck... if they're swapping over the terrain textures and graphics right now and fine-tuning the look of the game, it seems like this is the perfect time to be arguing about colors!:)

Year right, lets all argue that something we haven't even seen yet is wrong...;)

leggit
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, heck... if they're swapping over the terrain textures and graphics right now and fine-tuning the look of the game, it seems like this is the perfect time to be arguing about colors! :grin:

Please remember that the people responsible for the modelling /texturing are professional artists. They will have a solid understanding of colour theory. Most of us that work with CG come from traditional art back grounds like Fine Art, Graphic Design etc. As such they will be well aware how important it is to get the lighting and texturing just right. I'm 99.9% that the lighting rigs for example are far from being signed off. Think about the lighting in IL2 and how stunning that was when it was published. Oleg and his team are not people that are going to compromise on such important components of the final product...

This is a real labour of love for them, you only have to look at the level of work/ detail they've let us glimpse at so far.

If you are suffering from ultra bright colours on your own machines then I recommend you spend a little time making sure your monitors are correctly calibrated first and foremost.

I'll make a thread about monitor calibration if i get an ok from one of the moderators. It sounds like some people could really do with it.;)

P.S. don't neg Oleg and his team out if anything this is the time when they need our support...when you get to the later stage of a project like this it becomes a real test of will power.

drafting
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Well sure we haven't really seen the new terrain, but also no-one's really been arguing about it.

What we've really gotten is a great video of real life flying over Duxford and the Dover cliffs, some comparisons of it to IL2's terrain, and the hope that Oleg's team will try to match SoW's terrain to the video's...

All seems pretty reasonable to me. :)

furbs
03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
thats what i thought...though the monitor test is still welcome...thanks :)

Richie
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Also it's a video. I wonder if any of the team have been to England or Duxford irl.

katdogfizzow
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Sexy whistle :-P