PDA

View Full Version : Comms and Command in SOW?

kendo65
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi All,

il2's comms menu is accessed using the TAB key and then navigated numerically. It works, but is a little tricky to use in fast-moving combat situations.

I was wondering what the system in SOW might be like. It's possible that Oleg and Co. have already devised some new, slick and improved system, but I have a few suggestions that might speed up the command and control of sections, flights, etc.

1. Use the mouse to control comms - right-click to access menu (or TAB as before if right click needed by other functions), then left-click to drill down to sub-menus. Would be much faster navigating down 3 levels, no more fumbling for the right number on the keyboard. It would be much more 'heads up', so easier to maintain awareness.

2. Allow the command system to be player-configurable to some degree and mappable to keyboard keys (same as controls / engine management). eg you are an RAF Flight Leader - you could map certain often-used command functions to particular keys on the keyboard - eg Red Section attack fighters, blue section break left, follow me, etc.

As mentioned, something better than this might already be in the bag, but I think the above could be an improvement over il2.

nearmiss
03-11-2010, 02:27 AM
You can count on it.

A joystick or other controller that allows for macros or programmable buttons is a great tool for working through TAB command. Just program key command sequences and the comm are not problem.

airmalik
03-11-2010, 02:47 AM
il2's comms menu is accessed using the TAB key and then navigated numerically. It works, but is a little tricky to use in fast-moving combat situations.

Back when I used to play IL2, I used the speech recognition program Shoot (http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/) to great success. You don't have to mess with the keyboard and it feels more natural to issue spoken commands to your wingmen. I programmed it to perform other tasks like lowering gear etc. It feels like you're flying with a co-pilot when you say 'gear down' and the gear is magically lowered :)

kendo65
03-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Interesting solutions. I'd never heard of Shoot before. Looks like the perfect method.