PDA

View Full Version : Why does the steam versiion not support 64 bit widows?

PenGun
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Steam says that the game is not supported in XP or Vista 64. I am running Win7 64. I would like the game and would buy it if there was not that notice on steam and obvious problems on several forums.

Wasssup eh'.

Sneaksie
03-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I play the game normally on W7 x64.

Nike-it
03-05-2010, 06:17 AM
The game supports 64-bit systems, the problems with these systems were caused by the drivers if not mistaken.

PenGun
03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
The game supports 64-bit systems, the problems with these systems were caused by the drivers if not mistaken.

What drivers would those be?

Valve seems to think the game does not work well enough in 64 bit for them to support it.

I notice also that my GTX 260 is on a list of unsupported cards. It's a long list including many popular cards.

What is going on here?

Nike-it
03-05-2010, 07:41 AM
What drivers would those be?

Valve seems to think the game does not work well enough in 64 bit for them to support it.

I notice also that my GTX 260 is on a list of unsupported cards. It's a long list including many popular cards.

What is going on here?

GTX 260 is pretty good for Cryostasis, have no idea why it is not included in the list.

PenGun
03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
GTX 260 is pretty good for Cryostasis, have no idea why it is not included in the list.

No it is listed as unsupported. Quite different from not being on the list.

Why does valve feel this way?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7850/

I've been told by them that both my OS and video card are not supported. I would be crazy to buy ... right?

Nike-it
03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
No it is listed as unsupported. Quite different from not being on the list.

Why does valve feel this way?

I've been told by them that both my OS and video card are not supported. I would be crazy to buy ... right?

I'll ask my colleagues from Steam to change the system reqs. You can trust me that your card is a very good choice for Cryo. For example, we had this card on our demo PC in the office when Cryo was released in Russia and the game ran more then good on it.
And not to be unsubstantiated, here is a table from one of Russian GPU tests of Cryo: http://www.fcenter.ru/img/article/videocards/videocards_from_100_to_260/138789.png
The game was run under Vista Ultimate 64

PenGun
03-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I'll ask my colleagues from Steam to change the system reqs. You can trust me that your card is a very good choice for Cryo. For example, we had this card on our demo PC in the office when Cryo was released in Russia and the game ran more then good on it.

Well seeing that they say that nearly all popular video cards and several very popular OSs are incompatible you really should do something about that.

What really interests me is why Valve would do what they did. They have a problem with it and as I use their service it's kinda mine too.

Nike-it
03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Well seeing that they say that nearly all popular video cards and several very popular OSs are incompatible you really should do something about that.

What really interests me is why Valve would do what they did. They have a problem with it and as I use their service it's kinda mine too.

I fully understand you. We already informed STEAM that they have mistakes in the system specs. It should be updated ASAP.

PenGun
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I fully understand you. We already informed STEAM that they have mistakes in the system specs. It should be updated ASAP.

Thank you I do like the look of this game and wil proably buy it once steam changes it's site.

Unforgiven_II
03-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Thank you I do like the look of this game and wil proably buy it once steam changes it's site.

It is really worth it. Cryostasis is a very good game with great story and environment. I play the game with GTX280, using PhysX-patch and all settings nearly maxed out. Because it only uses 1 core of cpu fully it is not a performance-monster, but it does well for the gameplay.

I highly recommend this game.

PenGun
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM

They have changed the OS requirements but the long list of incompatible cards, mine included, is still there.

Something is weird here ... whiskey tango foxtrot ... eh'. You have not done the steam product at all well.

Unforgiven_II
03-05-2010, 07:24 PM
If you look at http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cryostasis_downloads.html the recommendet gpu for the physx-version of the game is a gtx260...

PenGun
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
If you look at http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_cryostasis_downloads.html the recommendet gpu for the physx-version of the game is a gtx260...

I believe you. The problem is if I buy from steam and it does not work I have no recourse. They have said my card is not supported. They have no responsibility after that disclaimer. I would be a fool to pay them at this point.

PenGun
03-06-2010, 07:29 AM
So let me ask some questions.

Did anyone from 1C even look at the steam website? Have you looked at it lately?

Do you see the massive list of probably not supported cards?

Did it occur to anyone to even look at the steam site after you got them to change the OS requirements?

How long did the steam site have the OS requirements wrong?

Did you expect to actually sell your game on steam?

Why is there still no PhysX?

Why have several people not been fired? Assuming they have not been.

Nike-it
03-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Steam changed the system settings ("Windows® XP SP3, Vista SP1, XP/Vista 64-Bit with a GeForce 260") and all listed cards are supported, here is the original sys specs, used by Steam with one small but very essential mistake: http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/107

PenGun
03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Steam changed the system settings ("Windows® XP SP3, Vista SP1, XP/Vista 64-Bit with a GeForce 260") and all listed cards are supported, here is the original sys specs, used by Steam with one small but very essential mistake: http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/107

indeed, but why would there be a mention of "Men of War" in a Cryostasis info? That one also states:

This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT or XP x64/Vista x64.

The steam version:

States that:

"Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Cryostasis."

Which actually makes sense as this is an info for Cryostasis.

I don't know what to say. This all appears to be too complicated for you. Perhaps you should hire someone.

I will buy the game if you can get the steam site right. Maybe try to fix the aspyr site too.

OK I,ve been to the gameagent site and can see what has happened .

Nike-it
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
The PhysX patch is now available for Steam users.

Unforgiven_II
03-09-2010, 06:07 PM

I took a look at the steamsite of cryostasis.
On german info-page there is clearly stated that its NOT supporting x64-Systems. Also there is stated that nearly every existing graphics-chipset is non supportet. Think its the same problem as with us/uk-infosite.

So there should be a update to this pages on steam too, i think there are many people out there who haven't bought it because of this wrong informations.

I have the boxed (uk) version of the game and there is no word that it won't work on x64, also i played through the whole game 1st time vista-x64 (unpatched game) and 2nd time in 7-x64 (physx-patch) and there are no problems.

1. marked point: NO support for these operating-systems:
2. marked point: NOT working with these graphic-chipsets:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6489/crsg.jpg

PenGun
03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
You did manage to get the OS requirements changed. Don't give up, get the rest right too.

PenGun
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Come on you can do it.

RavenMaster
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Believe me Steam is CORRECT. I have massive troubles playing Cryostasis on Windows 7 64-bit. Game stutters like mad no matter what graphic settings i choose - minimum or high - results are the same. Stuttery game, memory leaks. Not optimised for 64-bit at all as far as i've experienced. And i'm running a GTX 285/Core i7 940

Sneaksie
04-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Running the game on 64-bit or 32-bit makes no difference, 64-bit OS ar supported. However, nVidia 32 and 64-bit drivers do differ somewhat.

RavenMaster
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Nvidia drivers have been rather lame since 191.07WHQL. I hope they bring some good ones out in the next week so its in time for Fermi

Grammar Nazi
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Another thing steam doesn't support for this game is patch 1.1.

RavenMaster
05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I have tried playing the game with a single GTX480 and again with 2x GTX 480's in SLI with Windows 7 64-git. Both attempts at playing the game smoothly failed.

50% of the time on both setups (SLI and single) i was getting around 60fps. The other 50% of the time i was getting HUGE frame rate drops down to 17fps in some parts of the game.

Cryostasis clearly isn't optimised for 64-bit. I also played this game in Windows XP 32-bit. That stuttered even more. It was actually worse than Windows 7 64-bit.

Even with the correct drivers and patch Cryostasis still suffered mass frame rate drops in several areas of the game. It is badly optimised even with the fastest monster tech.

CymTyr
06-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Just to add to this... I didn't honestly look at the storefront page for this game when I bought it yesterday, but it works great on my system.

Specs:

AMD X2 6000+
260 GTX
8 gigs DDR2 RAM
Win 7 Home Premium x64

---

The stuttering seems to be hit or miss, I'm not sure what causes it for you guys, but for me the only slowdown I get is when it autosaves, which is to be expected. I have settings set to max at 1680 x 1050 with AA and PhysX turned off. Game looks and plays gorgeously and treats me right.

Hope this helps!
-Cym

RavenMaster
02-15-2011, 08:20 AM
lol of course it plays smooth when you turn OFF AA and Physx! Those are the most graphics-taxing options to have switched on. Those are what give you the eye candy.

I can play Metro 2033, all maxed out with DX11 and physx turned on. The game runs great. Cryostasis just has a poorly optimised game engine that only works properly on a small handful rigs.

Glad i didn't pay for my copy (got it free with EVGA/Nvidia GPU offer)