PDA

View Full Version : This is 'Hello' and a questions about the potential...

Fearless_1
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
First, I've been lurking for months. Now I finally say to all on the board, "HELLO."

Now I have serious questions on the potential of the Storm of War engine. I have seen so much going into the AI, and ground control, and advancements in the complexity of individual aircraft systems that I want to know if the base will exist for some of the aircraft that went into service 20 years after the real Battle of Britain was fought.

Will there be a time, as the SOW engine develops, that radar guided optical sights and gun reticules will be supported in the engine? Will there be a time that SOW will support the function of K-13 and AIM-9 type missiles? Will there be a way for a talented 3rd party developer to release a top-down radar display that allows aircraft to be tracked and ground pictures to be visible?

Oleg Maddox,
Will there be ways for the user to include birds like the MiG-17F, MiG-21F-13, F-100D, and F-8C in your sims eventually? Will it be possible to put realistic jet based scenarios from the 1950s into your sim?

Lastly, will there be any aircraft carrier support out-of-box for BOB?

nearmiss
03-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Chain home radar in BOB will be a part of the SOW.

If what you want... wasn't used in the BOB. You should rule it out. Cannons on Spits and Hurricanes, nope just the .303. It's not going to be an easy battle from the Brits side.

Read up on Oleg's postings and you'll get a fix on stuff we'll have in the BOB SOW.

All the stuff you are asking about in the future... only Oleg knows.

IceFire
03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I suspect that Oleg has put the "hooks" in the program code for most of this. Unlike IL-2, SoW was designed from the ground up to be a complex simulator experience for multiple planes and theaters. Things like carriers, radar modeling, etc. are things that we already know are confirmed.

Guided missiles and other things would be next steps but I imagine that even if the code isn't written now, I bet there has been some thought to setting that up later if the interest were there.

BTW: There is a Korea project (although I think it is on hold) by Luthiers team so we'll see the early 1950s era technology before too long I think. I hope it is a direct addon to Storm of War. I love nothing more in IL-2 1946 than to be in a dogfight server for a few hours and go from Gladiators fighting Cr.42s to Mustangs to He-162 prototypes fighting MiG-9s. I love the diversity and the variety. I'd want to have that back sometime.

Fearless_1
03-03-2010, 04:04 AM
I was hoping to get an answer (eventually) from those directly at the studio, but this is good.

I know that the frame is WWII (believe me I read AAA and SAS) but I would like to see this engine used to do Taiwan Straights, French Indochina, and niche stuff like Vietnam CAS.

If we just get things like boresight radar, and automated guided missiles built in from the ground up, we can model F-100s, MiG-21Fs, F-86s, MiG-19PFs, and the like.

With the current controls (Il-2) we can control AGM-12 Bullpups, and AS-7 Kerrys.

Imagine being Dixie Station and using Oleg's engine to pull off CAS for Marines in highly detailed, and destroyable cities with A-4s or F-5Cs.

I konw Wings Over Vietnam is there, but this has potential to blow that out of the water, even with the ground war add ons.

Avimimus
03-05-2010, 01:52 AM
There are plans for a Korean war simulation based on Oleg's new engine. I'm sure he'd like to extend the technology further, but he probably won't be able to answer for a year or two. Funding and time is limited and there will be a lot of WWII era features (and bugs) to work on prior to moving into newer territory.

The simple answer is that it is too early to tell.