PDA

View Full Version : What router do you use for IL-2?

noxnoctum
02-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm having serious issues getting my router to work with IL-2/HL. I've tried pretty much everything so I'm about to break down and just buy a new one. Right now I just have to plug in directly to my modem which means the other 3 people on the network can't use the internet, which restricts me to playing at 3 in the morning :-P

Can you guys tell me what router you personally use, that is if it works without a hassle of course :cool:?

noxnoctum
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Nine people have viewed and none have a router? Cmon guys, I just don't want to buy another one that doesn't work.

Zappatime
02-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Well I have a Netgear DG834GT (802.11G rated, ADSL combined modem-router), its about 3 years old, never been a problem.

Pretty easy to set up firewall rules if you want to run multiplayer as the server in il2. Runs fairly hot on top, but its on all the time, wireless range is average I'd say, if that's something you may use, depends on where in the house you are, thick walls or kitchen appliances 'en route' affect it the most, and distance of course. I'm connected by cat5 on my gaming PC so not a worry for me.

There's probably a 'N' version now with better range. Can't tell you if the newer models are as good build/reliable, check the comments on Amazon, for starters, but certainly their menus within the router setup, diagnostics, wireless settings and firewall rules are all pretty starightforward.

Hope this helps, not exactly loaded with info I know.;)

F4U Corsair
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I use a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G), and it works great. I advise against connecting directly to the modem, unless you want to get hacked, or get a virus. If your going to connect directly to the modem, make sure you enable Windows Firewall!.

Update the routers 'firmware' whenever you get a new one.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/CA/en/home

IceFire
02-21-2010, 12:35 AM
I have a Linksys... 4 port, wireless G... can't remember the model number but it's a fine router. A quick tour of the review sites will probably reveal that most routers have some duds out of the box but that most of them are pretty good. The super fancy ones often aren't worth the money in my opinion.

robtek
02-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Be assured that even with a super router the problem is that the capacity of the line is divided to more than 1 user.
If one of the other users is downloading something your ping will rise.

KG26_Alpha
02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Depending on what country you are located in and what speed your connection runs at.

Speedtouch 585 will cover most speeds and is an easy router to use and setup.

Also combined with a Telnet program from
http://dmt.mhilfe.de
You can manually adjust you modem settings with your isp.
It comes with English gui option in the program.

Foo'bar
02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato 1.27 Firmware. Never had any problems since I have this one. In my LAN/WLAN I have 4 PC connected with cable and 2 notebooks wireless.

doordie
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM
router? most people don't pay attention to this even when they spend a lot on their computer
if you're having problems its probably a compability problem with your modem, which means your router is too old, sometimes you can update the firmware. of course it may be evil windows and some configuration but unlikely.. most times the only case where research is necessary (not just something that might improve your performance a bit) is wireless routers.

i play on wireless router usually and i get faster speeds than most but that's after buying D-link's most expensive gaming router (~$200). i think belkin & netgear have caught up but frankly a few years ago they were selling pseudo-wireless routers. if they worked at all they might over-heat and stop working after a few hours, or have another problem. Dlink was the only way to go and their high-end ones were much preferred. But even if its more of an exact science now and the speeds are much better (N), if you can stay away from wireless. There's a lot more security issues to deal with. And other things.. maybe they wont cause you tumors like cell phones but the signals are said to affect sleep (as does electric current). okay most people wont notice this but if you have insomnia or keep honey bees in the house its something to think about... just wire your house don't be lazy, trust me!! :-)

Bearcat
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm having serious issues getting my router to work with IL-2/HL. I've tried pretty much everything so I'm about to break down and just buy a new one. Right now I just have to plug in directly to my modem which means the other 3 people on the network can't use the internet, which restricts me to playing at 3 in the morning :-P

Can you guys tell me what router you personally use, that is if it works without a hassle of course :cool:?

You need to tell us what kind of router you have and what kind of connection do you have.. FO, Cable, DSL? I have a Netgear WGT624v3 but I used to use an older one that I gave to another community member and he still uses it.. so it is probably a port issue.

You heed to forward the following ports to your PC:

IL2: 21000-21000 UDP&TCP
HL : 20999-20999 UDP
HL : 1698-1708 TCP
TS : 8767-8767 UDP

If all that fails consider this site (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm). This program is pretty good.. don't ask me why it works sometimes when manually forwarding the ports doesn't.. but it does.

julian265
02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Be assured that even with a super router the problem is that the capacity of the line is divided to more than 1 user.
If one of the other users is downloading something your ping will rise.

+1

OP, what is the problem you are having? Bad latency, or inability to connect to servers?

F4U Corsair
02-22-2010, 01:18 AM
It's most likely a port forwarding problem.

www.portforward.com

doordie
02-22-2010, 05:29 AM
it probably works but disconnects mid-game and requires network restart or a power cycle.
if it's that sort of thing and you have money, save yourself the headaches, dont even bother with firmware, and just get a newer router.

if you need wireless I have the Dlink dgl-4500 which is great and its cheaper now as the new model is out. If you have a small area you can get the cheaper single antenna version and buy an external antenna which works much better than those puny rubber ones.

this topic reminded me of all my problems with wireless and the time that was wasted. my first netgear was the same channel as the cordless phone, when the phone ran the net would disconnect. then i had a router in the car garage (since that was the only place the cable ran through) and when a car would move the connection would deteriorate. so many stupid episodes like that. not only with signal but the router itself, for example it would only work well at night. maybe there were other reasons for this but main one being, heat up. the quick fix is to put it on top of a laptop cooling pad. better way is to open it up and install a case fan or heatsink.