PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2010-02-19 Screenshots AND Discussion Thread

Oleg Maddox
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Today we will post unusual things for flight sim.

_Probably_ these objects will have own code, working similar to Radar's code, but with other range and angles and connection to some objects involved in a gameplay. Don't ask me how it would woks! :) I just try to put some food for the brains :)

In worst case - it will be damage-able surroundings with the possibility to add code later.

However the main news for the last week you all should wait from Grégory "PB0_Foxy" Lemasson, Checksix Il2's section publisher. He was in our office this week, just came back in France and will write some story what he was able to see. Wait a bit.

DJB
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Flanker35M
02-19-2010, 01:59 PM
S!

So a double update friday :) Great!

krz9000
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lHD5DbAAdrU/Rs9WckA8rSI/AAAAAAAAAKE/eqCvHr0IHgo/s800/MahLazerMotivational.jpg

Tbag
02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
It was a common tactic for Bombers to climb to altitude, throttle back, and glide to the target with engines ideling in order to not be noticed by the target. It would be great if the anti aircraft AI could replicate such scenarios.

Zorin
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
You have to admit, that British design looks a bit old-fashioned ;)

Oleg Maddox
02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
It was a common tactic for Bombers to climb to altitude, throttle back, and glide to the target with engines ideling in order to not be noticed by the target. It would be great if the anti aircraft AI could replicate such scenarios.

If it will be working like I want to put, if there will be forces in final, then even playing online you will be able to use this tactics. Of course if you know where it is placed on the ground :) But it may happens sh.... say unpredictable.

Oleg Maddox
02-19-2010, 02:14 PM
You have to admit, that British design looks a bit old-fashioned ;)

But precise isn't worse than German. However it may depens of human-operator in reality.

philip.ed
02-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Nice :cool: Looking forward to the interview ;)

Zorin
02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
But precise isn't worse than German. However it may depens of human-operator in reality.

Indeed, just because something looks fancy doesn't actually have to reflect its practical qualities.

Did the operators use head-phones? Wonder what would have happened if a bird or plane crossed their beam at close distant.

NSU
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
nice make the "Horchgerät"

Oleg Maddox
02-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Did the operators use head-phones? Wonder what would have happened if a bird or plane crossed their beam at close distant.

Probably third party developers will be able to make such experiments :)
Or to put as working unit online :):):)

my dreaming :)

AndyJWest
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Lokoing good again, though for a moment looking at the first screenshot I thought you'd added a barbicue to the sim!

philip.ed
02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
So Oleg, when flying, will we hear the controller giving us the same instructions each time? I mean, will it get really repetitive or will we hear different things being said each-time? Because one thing about Il-2 was that the commands and radio-talk got repetitive after a while, so it'd be great to have different controllers having different voices (obviously) but also saying different things each-time. It'd be great as well if they made mistakes and apolgised, or if there were Polish pilots, they told-them-off for not talking in English on the r/t .... ;) Food for thought.
Did you get my e-mail as well Oleg? I sent you the pictures, but I'd like to know if it's enough :D

Oleg Maddox
02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
So Oleg, when flying, will we hear the controller giving us the same instructions each time? I mean, will it get really repetitive or will we hear different things being said each-time? Because one thing about Il-2 was that the commands and radio-talk got repetitive after a while, so it'd be great to have different controllers having different voices (obviously) but also saying different things each-time. It'd be great as well if they made mistakes and apolgised, or if there were Polish pilots, they told-them-off for not talking in English on the r/t .... ;) Food for thought.
Did you get my e-mail as well Oleg? I sent you the pictures, but I'd like to know if it's enough :D

You suggestions accepted, but it doesn't means that will be :)

Yes, I received you email and gave it modeller. Sorry didn't answer.

luthier
02-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Repeat please!

ECV56_Lancelot
02-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Very very nice model/s, and forgive me for my ignorance, but WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Looks like a very big earphone, or something like that.

I´m at work and cant spend time researching what is it :).

Thanks!

RCAF_FB_Orville
02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Repeat please!

Here ya go Ilya!! :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXf1bhEEXd0

philip.ed
02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Hahah, very funny :D I was just watching that today as well....spooky! :D

Thanks Oleg. Tell him that if he has any questions, I'm happy to answer them for him ;)

RedToo
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Probably being a bit picky but the British sound locators were a bit more curved. Don't know if you have enough poly's for this. Also I think the number of sound tubes on each side should match the number of sound locators. The mudguards are different too. Edit: Ooops - I think I'm wrong and you have the mudguards correct - I must look more carefully before I post!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/RedToo/Sound-Locator.jpg

RedToo.

BadAim
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Very very nice model/s, and forgive me for my ignorance, but WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Looks like a very big earphone, or something like that.

I´m at work and cant spend time researching what is it :).

Thanks!

Right on the money! The two big pieces are sound collectors (OK, acoustic locators), used to locate formations of aircraft by their sound from much farther away than the naked ear could, and the rest are various pieces of ranging and plotting equipment to use with them. (I will be doing some research myself for specifics)

Rodolphe42
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Greta, that Ringtrichterrichtungshoerer sounds good. :grin:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-674-7757-18,_Flakhelferin_am_Horchger%C3%A4t.jpg

Any plan to get those sound mirrors on the south cost of Kent, just a mile east of the aerodrome of Lydd.

http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/locations/denge/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3EIogaEwxY&feature=player_embedded#at=93

Thanks Oleg to give a heads up. ;)

ECV56_Lancelot
02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Right on the money! The two big pieces are sound collectors, used to locate formations of aircraft by their sound from much farther away than the naked ear could, and the rest are various pieces of ranging and plotting equipment to use with them. (I will be doing some research myself for specifics)

Didn´t know such things existed for detecting aircraft, i thought that detection was done by radar, and the good old fashion eyeball, on the ground or in the air. :)

Avimimus
02-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Probably being a bit picky but the British sound locators were a bit more curved. Don't know if you have enough poly's for this. Also I think the number of sound tubes on each side should match the number of sound locators. The mudguards are different too.

RedToo.

Perhaps there was some variation in production (unlike London Bridge)? ;D

Just a guess

Viking
02-19-2010, 04:14 PM
If I recall correctly they were used by the Vietnamese to detect the fascists’ helicopters’ during the American War.

Regards

Viking

AndyJWest
02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
If I remember correctly, the 'Chain Home' RDF system used in the BoB only worked out to seawards, so accoustic and visual systems were essential too.

erco
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Just further evidence that we are on the verge of the richest wartime simulation EVER- in any genre.

Oleg, do you guys prefer a full statue or just a bust? A landmark event like this deserves a landmark!

ECV56_Lancelot
02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
If I recall correctly they were used by the Vietnamese to detect the fascists’ helicopters’ during the American War.

Regards

Viking

Wow! You learn something new every day. :lol:

Avimimus
02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Just further evidence that we are on the verge of the richest wartime simulation EVER- in any genre.

Oleg, do you guys prefer a full statue or just a bust? A landmark event like this deserves a landmark!

I was actually thinking about this earlier. A Stele might actually be more appropriate. It would be modest in size and wouldn't require carvers (other than the standard tombstone cutting tools). It could have a nice engraving describing Oleg & companies many victories.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about read through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stele )

choctaw111
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Very interesting.
I was not expecting to see stuff like this, but then again, I have always said to expect the unexpected with BoB.
Thanks for the update, Oleg.

virre89
02-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Everything still ontrack for pre-october release :) ?

bhunter2112
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Movies only please !

Ian_Guerrero
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Oleg, if the release of the SIM is not for this year, perhaps when completed Simulator, vision in monitors 3D is an industry standard. ;)

Lonely Ringer
02-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Most likely got to be fried chicken , problem with most " portable " radar is heat build up , burning out the thing , on board ship is no problem using sea water to cool the apparatus, I know, I worked on a ton of cooling pumps for ships radar for USN in ship yard Long Beach. so portable may have a shut down period or be of such low power as to be only usefull to short range ? Todays stuff is so effecient that this is less of a problem. and Airbone uses the cold outside to keep its cool.... just a thought

Insuber
02-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Didn´t know such things existed for detecting aircraft, i thought that detection was done by radar, and the good old fashion eyeball, on the ground or in the air. :)

They existed since WWI in fact. I have some nice pics of those early attempts ... make me laugh each time though ...

Insuber

Skoshi Tiger
02-20-2010, 01:26 AM
With all these different type of detection gear at our disposal, I keep on thinking that it would be great to have a player manable 'plotting table'. Where the location and altitude of the various contacts would be displayed.

A member of a on-line squadron could use teamspeak (or a built in Radio Communications???) to vector his squadron members onto the enemy contacts. Of course the historical accuracy and limitations of the various detection devices would need to be programmed and as the various devices are located and destroyed by the attacking planes those stations would not be able to send in any more plots!

I know one person wouldn't be flying but they would be able to co-ordinate their teams efforts.

It would also give a real reason for finding and taking out the listening posts, other than points!

Cheers and thanks for the updates.

AndyJWest
02-20-2010, 02:05 AM
a player manable 'plotting table'
If you want 100% authenticity, it should probably be 'womanable'. :grin: This would certainly add a lot to the experience. One for third-party software, if not in the initial sim.

Skoshi Tiger
02-20-2010, 02:28 AM
If you want 100% authenticity, it should probably be 'womanable'. :grin: This would certainly add a lot to the experience. One for third-party software, if not in the initial sim.

100% correct, now where can a bloke buy a WAF uniform......

Did I just think that or type it??????? Hmmmmm! donuts! ;)

cheers!

Edit! - Could be a great way to get our spouses involved in the sim!!!

FS~Lewis
02-20-2010, 02:30 AM
On reading of Battle of Britain engagements I find that a lot of spitfire/hurricane pilots complained of having to disengage because of oil and debris from the luftwaffe aircraft when they were chasing from directly behind. Some found it so bad they were forced to land simply because they couldn't see well enough to carry the fight....

Will this be replicated in the new game?

AndyJWest
02-20-2010, 03:22 AM
now where can a bloke buy a WAF uniform......
Um, WAAF to be exact. I have a suspicion that the WAAFs may have had more effect on the BoB than historians have acknowledged - and no, this isn't feminist revisionism. On the contrary, I suspect that the presence of female voices on R/T may have had a significant effect on morale, not least because whoever was responsible for WAAF uniform understood the workings of the minds of young adults of both sexes, and how dressing women up in 'male' attire made them more sexually alluring...

Sorry, I'm letting my anthropological studies get in the way here. :rolleyes: What I meant to say is: Oleg make it authentic, give us WAAFs.

Skarphol
02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a suspicion that the WAAFs may have had more effect on the BoB than historians have acknowledged..

Are you indicating that the WAAFs will be undermodelled in SOW:BOB?
That would be a shame...

Skarphol

Les
02-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Dooblay eenconsekwonce.

Les
02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
With all these different type of detection gear at our disposal, I keep on thinking that it would be great to have a player manable 'plotting table'. Where the location and altitude of the various contacts would be displayed.

A member of a on-line squadron could use teamspeak (or a built in Radio Communications???) to vector his squadron members onto the enemy contacts. Of course the historical accuracy and limitations of the various detection devices would need to be programmed and as the various devices are located and destroyed by the attacking planes those stations would not be able to send in any more plots!

I know one person wouldn't be flying but they would be able to co-ordinate their teams efforts.

It would also give a real reason for finding and taking out the listening posts, other than points!

Cheers and thanks for the updates.

While it's not totally different to what we have now in overall concept, (wherein, one team is tasked with defending an airfield or other position, the other with attacking it,) the inclusion of player-controlled ground-based units has so much more potential for player interaction that it could result in a whole new co-op or team vs. team game-play mode.

With the defenders using player-manned radar, listening devices, and anti-aircraft weaponry to locate and destroy the in-coming attackers, preferably with someone in a commander role to co-ordinate the information being gathered. As a defender in a static position, you also might be able to choose where exactly on the map you initially appear, if you're not in a mechanized, mobile unit altogether. There could be your usual player-manned or AI planes scrambled as well. And, just to keep it interesting, if there were planes still available, as a ground based defender you could swap positons and get into one of the planes and join the air fight once and if the ground-based action dies down, but it would obviously limit your whole teams ground-based info gathering and defending capabilities.

As an attacker, you could have some fore-knowledge of the defenders positons, or you could be totally reliant on what you see once you get there. In this case, as a pilot, you'd have to get a visual fix on a defence position and hold your view on it until it 'locks in' and then appears on your in-game map. You might have to also manually pass on this information to your other team-mates so it appears on their maps too. You'd also have to make more decisions about which targets to attack. You could do a pure hit and run, focussing only on pre-determined targets, getting a head-start on any pursuers, but at the same time knowing that there probably will be more pursuers because you didn't take them out while they were on the ground. Or you could try to totally destroy the opposing forces while they're still on the ground, but at the same time have to deal with more direct oppositon, maybe even enemy aircraft (probably AI) called in from nearby.

I'm sure others who have thought about it could suggest other details that would make it more interesting too. In any case, it certainly has potential.

Les.

Tree_UK
02-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Nice pictures, but not the best of updates. I hoped we may be seeing a little more with only 6 months to go before release.

Zorin
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice pictures, but not the best of updates. I hoped we may be seeing a little more with only 6 months to go before release.

Didn't you hear that there is much to be seen with the C6 interview that will be out shortly? With that in mind, I think this update is just fine.

Foo'bar
02-20-2010, 03:45 PM

2+6=10? http://foorum.mexxoft.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Lucas_From_Hell
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
And guess what - Tree_UK saying the release will be BEFORE the announced date!!

Now that's a first :mrgreen:

Skarphol
02-20-2010, 04:42 PM
And guess what - Tree_UK saying the release will be BEFORE the announced date!!

Now that's a first :mrgreen:

Has it been announced a date?
I thought the closest to an official date was Oleg saying something like "thousands of players will play SOW BOB at the 70th aniversary for the Battle of Britain"? That should indicate that the game would have to be released in August, if the aniversary is in September.

What really bugs me is that Tree in 2008 said this game wouldn't be released until mars 2010, and I thought he was at least a year off. Now I'm allmost starting to beleive he was a year off in the wrong direction..

Skarphol

Lucas_From_Hell
02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Bad choice of words from me.

Read "expected" instead, to avoid any misunderstood.

Tree_UK
02-20-2010, 05:28 PM
The expected release date is August 2010 if Oleg is to be believed, We have had some nice updates recently and I had hoped these would get bigger and better the closer we got to going gold. Now if you were to ask me whether I think it 'will' be released in August my answer would be a definate no judging by what we have 'not' seen. I think a March 2011 would be more realistic but hopefully i will be proved wrong.:)

furbs
02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
yes, Tree did say that...and he got roasted by a few people back then too.

philip.ed
02-20-2010, 06:55 PM
The expected release date is August 2010 if Oleg is to be believed, We have had some nice updates recently and I had hoped these would get bigger and better the closer we got to going gold. Now if you were to ask me whether I think it 'will' be released in August my answer would be a definate no judging by what we have 'not' seen. I think a March 2011 would be more realistic but hopefully i will be proved wrong.:)

7th or 15th of September are recognised as BoB day. Oleg said he hopes to see many of us playing the game on this day or just before, so whether or not that's an August release is anyones guess ;)

BigC208
02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Or maybe Oleg meant the 75th Anniversary of the BoB:cool:. Nice round number. Don't laugh! I built a new computer in December of 2006 expecting it to come out in 07.

Matze81
02-20-2010, 07:53 PM
We have had some nice updates recently and I had hoped these would get bigger and better ...
Same here!

BUT, we have to keep in mind that the Spit video, that spoiled a lot of us (me included) was actually a leak!
It was actually a real 100% honest leak that we didn't expect.
If it wouldn't have been leaked, we'd still be waiting for a video, I think.

So, let's accept the new update like it is, even if we want more.

Ctrl E
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
what i don't get is i type stormofwar.com into my internet address bar, and it redirects me to the UBI webpage.

most games i have waited for in recent times have had a webpage up at least 6 months in advance of release.

Richie
02-21-2010, 01:03 AM
I think it does....Looks like we're in a gray area still...giggles.... hem hem.

http://www.stormofwar.ru/

zakkandrachoff
02-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Hey, were do you found it!?

in checksix i can foung the note

Romanator21
02-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Snake still has to write the report. It's not at that forum yet.

BTW, I noticed this interesting land geometry engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVjCetERjN8&feature=fvw

It's still in development, but it seems to have a pretty realistic look while being capable of rendering the entire planet. Although it's a completely different engine, I'm curious as to how SoW will appear when it's ready. I should mention that flight physics don't seem to be all there, and SoW will surely excel in this regard.

If I'm correct, the BoB map won't be much bigger than Il-2's Lvov (L'viv), which is certainly not bad. The Bf-109s will already have to fly across the entire map just to get to the target. But I wonder what is the upper limit in map size for the SoW engine?

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/rboiko1/IL-2%20References/Lvov.jpg

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae325/rboiko1/IL-2%20References/bob.jpg

Now, it's not at all necessary to have a bigger map, but it would be nice to one day have a map that covers larger areas of land to allow B-17 missions into Germany from England, or Il-4/Pe-8 missions into Berlin from Leningrad.

If one program can render the entire planet, can SoW do a chunk, like Western Europe or the Mediterranean or the Korean peninsula, but still offer excellent flight dynamics, AI, and attention to detail?

Richie
02-21-2010, 04:54 AM
I found it months ago.

JVM
02-21-2010, 09:22 AM
The map should be a little bit larger than that...

On the one you show you would have one Do-17Z KG2 staffel (!) base, some of the Stuka's, and no JU-88 or He-111 staffeln bases, not to mention minor players like the entire JG2 and JG27 Geschwadern...

Snake_C6
02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
yep I didn't finished the review guys but be sure that when it will be done I will post it here :-P

major_setback
02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Um, WAAF to be exact. I have a suspicion that the WAAFs may have had more effect on the BoB than historians have acknowledged - and no, this isn't feminist revisionism. On the contrary, I suspect that the presence of female voices on R/T may have had a significant effect on morale, not least because whoever was responsible for WAAF uniform understood the workings of the minds of young adults of both sexes, and how dressing women up in 'male' attire made them more sexually alluring...

Sorry, I'm letting my anthropological studies get in the way here. :rolleyes: What I meant to say is: Oleg make it authentic, give us WAAFs.

Seriously. Will we really have to wear those WAAF uniforms?
...And what about the female pilots that were employed transporting aircraft from one place to another, will we have to use those uniforms too? I really am unsure if I can afford the sim if that will be the case.
My budget will stretch to the silk scarf, but not the stockings, and to be honest I'm unsure if I can even get away with heels at my age.
Please development team, remember that some of us are on limited incomes.

By the way, what colour underwear did Badar wear?
:-):-)

AndyJWest
02-21-2010, 03:19 PM
...what about the female pilots that were employed transporting aircraft from one place to another

That would be the Air Transport Auxiliary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transport_Auxiliary

Diana Barnato Walker:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Walker_Spitfire.jpg

Arguably some of the best pilots of WWII. No ammunition, no radio, and if you were lucky you got to read the pilots notes for a plane before you flew it. They weren't all female, but a lot of the best ones were.

All SoW:BoB will need is an option to disable RT, and ATA missions will be simple to create. Just for entertainment you could add in a stray Bf 109 or two...

Sokol1
02-21-2010, 03:43 PM
WAAF Margaret Horton http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/75/a2742275.shtml

;)

Sokol1

Tbag
02-21-2010, 04:08 PM
"The mechanics were given the order, ‘Tails’. Having got to the runway, the aircraft would pause for the mechanic to drop off. This time the pilot did not pause. Whether he was unaware that the order to ‘tail’ had been given, nobody knows. He just carried on with Margaret Horton hanging on for grim death, and him unaware that he had a ‘passenger’ on the tail. ‘I thought the aircraft was tail-heavy’, he said later."

Haha, that's brilliant!

Rodolphe42
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Funny, I've just started reading this book. :grin:

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/SpitfireWomen.jpg

Pauline Gower, founder of the women's section of the ATA.

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/SpitfireWomen1.jpg

Maureen Dunlop, from Argentina.

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/SpitfireWomen2.jpg

Richie
02-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Pass me a cigi would you boys

fireflyerz
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
"Oh you boys , come on own up ... which one of you put super glue on my hand again...."

Avimimus
02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
This could be a nice intermediate step towards better modeling of mixed and female squadrons on the Soviet side (which I'm sure will happen someday).

Foo'bar
02-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Night witches?

zakkandrachoff
02-24-2010, 12:42 AM

Maureen Dunlop, from Argentina.

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/SpitfireWomen2.jpg

I don't know her.

pretty lethal woman.

AndyJWest
02-24-2010, 01:06 AM
pretty lethal woman.

The ATA flew unarmed, though maybe that isn't what you meant. ;)

I think there is another photo of her, in 'profile': she looks even prettier in that one. God only knows how the RAF reacted when she turned up...

brando
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
The ATA flew unarmed, though maybe that isn't what you meant. ;)

I think there is another photo of her, in 'profile': she looks even prettier in that one. God only knows how the RAF reacted when she turned up...

With gentlemanly respect and much twirling of moustaches, one imagines ;)

When I recently took a flip in a Tiger Moth my instructor was a woman. I was awed by her flight record of over 30,000 hours (6,000 on multi-jet passenger aircraft alone) and her history as an instructor and competitor in aerobatics. To cap it all, she rode the same motorcycle as I do, a BMW K100RS. Her love of flying was very obvious.

Could I have fallen in love with this bold adventuress? Yes - easily. Fortunately I already have a woman who I love, so there was no need to embarrass my new-found friend by declaring my undying love! I probably saved myself from being told that a Tiger Moth made a far better companion than an ageing biker.

B