PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with problems with ATI drivers read this.

RedToo
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5031088038

PF_Coastie over at UBI with instructions on how to let ATI know of the problem so that they might fix it.

RedToo.

dduff442
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
While you're right to complain about the bugs, I did manage to get acceptable performance after a lot of painful experimentation. My system has an i7/920 CPU with an ATI HD5870 GPU, but the settings here should be useful to anyone with a recent ATI card.

The simple solution is to use DirectX with the latest Catalyst driver update. I haven't tested this extensively but it delivered excellent FPS performance. The only problem I noticed was that the landscape tended to momentarily break up into black squares whenever the viewing angle was shifted suddenly.

The other problems with DirectX in il2 are one that the water is flat and not nearly as pretty as in OpenGL and two that 'perfect' graphics mode is unavailable. 'Perfect' mode doesn't matter except in clear weather (apparently) when it doubles the draw distance. I did manage to get both these features working in OpenGL as I'll explain.

With the latest ATI drivers (10.2), il2 is pretty much unplayable in OpenGL mode due to the problems of text corruption etc. Dropping a copy of version 9.1 of the ATI OpenGL driver into your il2 directory will allow you to use 9.1 for il2 (which works fine) and 10.2 for everything else.

So... after a lot of messing around, I finally arrived at what I consider the optimal settings:

First the screen resolution:

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

These settings will work for any widescreen etc. monitor unsupported by il2 simply by altering the width and height parameters to fit your monitor's native resolution.

Now to the Graphics settings:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=8
Water=0
Effects=0
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

I get around 32-45fps under 'normal' conditions with these settings. The 'Black Death' shows around 30-35fps on average, dropping to a minimum of around 22 in effects-heavy moments. I know that last figure sounds alarming, but I didn't notice it to be a serious problem in terms of the visual experience.

Setting effects at 1 tended to cause nasty fps hits during explosions etc. Setting water=1 (or higher) radically hurt fps performance. FRAPS showed 17 or so with water=1 but the ground was actually chugging past at around 5fps while only aircraft were showing the 'true' 17fps.

Water=0 is actually ok, still miles better than the DirectX version, and I don't think many people will miss the shadows from effects that effects=1 permits.

The good news is I can ramp anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering etc up to the limit in Catalyst Control Center without hurting the fps count in any way. As far as I can make out, the problem is that the Nvidia-optimised code is dumping extra load onto the CPU and that this is the limiting factor rather than GPU performance. Experimenting with lower resolutions did not produce an improvement in fps performance that I could see.

The game does look really well under these settings and the extra draw distance means that objects 'popping up' are much less obvious than with DirectX. Flying low over Slovakia or the big port town in the MTO map is particularly nice here and missions that use, e.g., smoke markers to designate targets will be easier when the smoke is actually visible from more than a few kilometers away.

At 30-40fps, some 'tearing' when rapidly shifting the angle of viewing, as with using a hat switch, will be apparent to those with sensitive eyes. It isn't a big issue for me, though, so unless you're one of those very few people who are sensitive to fps rates below 60 I'd suggest using the settings shown. Shooting games etc. can be painful enough at 30fps but Il-2 isn't really a 'twitchy' sort of game so I think I'll be sticking with this setup.

rakinroll
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your good help dduff442. I am using x1950 pro with 7.11 driver. Do you have any idea 7.11 catalyst settings for my card? I am posting my vga setting pictures.

maclean525
02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
dduff442, thank you! I have a 5850 running triple screen and have been struggling with the graphics settings since installing IL-2.

One question, could you attach or send me a link to the download of the ATI 9.2 OpenGL driver? I'm not sure exactly which file to use and where to find it.

Again, many thanks!

Cheers,
...Colin

dduff442
02-08-2010, 02:27 AM
dduff442, thank you! I have a 5850 running triple screen and have been struggling with the graphics settings since installing IL-2.

One question, could you attach or send me a link to the download of the ATI 9.2 OpenGL driver? I'm not sure exactly which file to use and where to find it.

Again, many thanks!

Cheers,
...Colin

Ooops -- got the version number wrong. That's 9.1 rather than 9.2. I've attached the zipped dll.

Checking for Catalyst updates on a regular basis is probably a good idea as well. Don't forget to backup the dll in your Il2 directory to test the updates, though, or otherwise you'll be stuck with 9.1 which isn't perfect by any means.

dduff

dduff442
02-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Thank you for your good help dduff442. I am using x1950 pro with 7.11 driver. Do you have any idea 7.11 catalyst settings for my card? I am posting my vga setting pictures.

Start by taking the bits of 'code' above and pasting them over the relevant sections of the conf.ini file in your il2 directory. It's probably best to make a backup copy before doing so and make sure you save it as .ini and not as .txt. Also, you'll need to change the width and height parameters to match your screen's native resolution.

I'm not certain your card will run Il2 in perfect mode -- my last PC had 250mb of video RAM but I needed to tone down the settings to get an acceptable frame rate. Try those settings for a start, though, and if the fps is not acceptable you can try lowering the screen resolution or anti-aliasing setting.

Never having been able to use AA in Il2 before, I have to say it's indispensible. Without AA, distant planes turn into squiggles and it's impossible to tell where they're headed or to guess the lead for shots.

Hope this helps. If not, get back to me and I'll see what I can do.

dduff

maclean525
02-08-2010, 03:18 AM
This worked FLAWLESSLY. Thank you very much! Looks wonderful in 5760x1050 and so much better with no text corruption!

Flanker35M
02-08-2010, 10:20 AM
S!

Discussed this at ATI froums as well :) I run similar setup as DDuff. Some small differences in setup though. I run OpenGL and in conf.ini I do NOT use UseDither, PolygonStipple, DrawLandByTriangles at all, there is no performance gain or loss with them, no impact on visuals either.

As of Effects=0 or 1. This affects the "blocky text" corruption we get when loading the graphics of the game. With Effects=1 the blocky text clears after a moment when playing a track for example. Without it does not. Also with Effects=0 the 3D models flicker from grey to skinned etc. But with Effects=1 nothing of this is seen.

I wonder how you get VertexArrays NOT to produce the "blue hue" when firing guns? Or is it different in DirectX? I do not run DirectX as it looks crap, I rather use Water=0 in OpenGL than that ugly water in DX mode ;) In OpenGL the blue hue is tied to TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1, having it at 0 and no "blue hue" even the TexFlags.VertexArraysEXT=1 is used. Go figure.

I used 9.10 version atioglxx.dll before, but not with the new drivers. I just start the game, run a track for a few secs and join servers via IP address. New drivers give good perfromance :) The Black Death averages at 55FPS with 70 maximum and dipa to 26 minimum(La5 and Fw190 collision).

I did go through the logs of my game crashes and it seems it is due IL-2 engine making bad calls to driver and/or hardware thus creating a situation where the game will stop working and just CTD. Discussed this in length with some programmers at the annual virtual pilot convention and these code mongers did explain it would not be too hard to fix if there was more info available..mentions of some wrong values in the code etc.

DB605
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
While you're right to complain about the bugs, I did manage to get acceptable performance after a lot of painful experimentation. My system has an i7/920 CPU with an ATI HD5870 GPU, but the settings here should be useful to anyone with a recent ATI card.

The simple solution is to use DirectX with the latest Catalyst driver update. I haven't tested this extensively but it delivered excellent FPS performance. The only problem I noticed was that the landscape tended to momentarily break up into black squares whenever the viewing angle was shifted suddenly.

The other problems with DirectX in il2 are one that the water is flat and not nearly as pretty as in OpenGL and two that 'perfect' graphics mode is unavailable. 'Perfect' mode doesn't matter except in clear weather (apparently) when it doubles the draw distance. I did manage to get both these features working in OpenGL as I'll explain.

With the latest ATI drivers (10.2), il2 is pretty much unplayable in OpenGL mode due to the problems of text corruption etc. Dropping a copy of version 9.1 of the ATI OpenGL driver into your il2 directory will allow you to use 9.1 for il2 (which works fine) and 10.2 for everything else.

So... after a lot of messing around, I finally arrived at what I consider the optimal settings:

Thank you for these settings, unfortunately it still won't work with my system. Framerate is probably about 1-5fps and even menus are painfully slow. I have Ati HD4850 1gb card, catalyst 10.2 and 9.1 opengl driver in il2 directory, OS is xp32. Any thoughts what could be wrong?

maclean525
02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
S!
In OpenGL the blue hue is tied to TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1, having it at 0 and no "blue hue" even the TexFlags.VertexArraysEXT=1 is used. Go figure.

Thanks for this, I noticed the blue hue last night also, I'll try removing the UseVertexArrays=1 and setting it to 0. Will report back.

Also, if I set Water=2 and Effects=2 the graphics quality is way, way better than both set to 0, it's a significant improvement. Using OpenGL.

Flanker35M
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
S!

Using Effects=2 is not recommended even by Oleg as he said it causes slow performance and have artifacts especially in smoke. Can be flashing etc. I use Water=0 because of online play. I am not there to stare at wave tops but shoot down, or evading others most of the time ;)

Blue hue is tied to UseVErtexArrays. If not using it, then no hue either. The VertexArraysEXT has no effect whatsoever.

DB605, getting back to you at Hades site.

=PF=Coastie
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi guys,

Terry Makedon(head of the ATI Catalyst driver program) replied to my email and said this problem will be looked into.

As for the atiogl.dll, you guys should be using the 9.10 file (nine point ten) not the 9.1. Especially if you are using a 5xxx series card.

I am currently still tweaking my settings with my brand new rig (5770/amd Phenom II x 4 955BE/win7). I plan on creating a full tweak thread about my findings soon.

Real quick though, I am running 1920x1080 with 4x SSAA(Supersampling AA gets rid of the crawly rivers in the distance!), max Aniso, perfect, with water=0 and I am getting 62fps avg, 27fps min in TBD track.(V-synch off).

I have also found a work around for the Blocky text issue if you do not have the 9.10 atiogl.dll file.

Start the game/go to tracks/choose The black Death track/let play until the text clears at exactly the :21 second mark. Close track and you can play all you want with no more blocky text as long as you do NOT close the game. You can go online using direct IP too. But if you use HL, this will not work.

More later guys, Thanks!

maclean525
02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
You are correct about the driver version, I looked at the version number which is: 6.14.10.9026 this is associated with the 9.10 catalyst release.

dduff442
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
9.1 and 9.10 are (how you say) the same number?!

Flanker's tip about disabling UseVertexArrays is spot on. Checking back, I find my original settings were based on a post of his at the ATI forums. Small world, eh?

Water=1 or higher still kills my system. I was able to improve performance a bit by setting the priority for the Il2fb process to 'high'. If you try this and it messes up your sound, just open Hardware>Sound Settings and click 'Apply and Back' which will reset your sound without changing anything else.

I actually overclocked my i7 to 3.2GHz and got a small improvement but decided it wasn't worth it and reset it to the default values. Fast core-duo machines will beat i7s in Il2 because Il2 only uses one core anyway.

=PF=Coastie
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
If you think of it as a decimal, yes, it is same number. But when describing ATI's driver versions, that is a big nono and can cause big problems. Think of the decimal as a simple separator for two whole numbers. The first number signifies the YEAR and the second number signifies the MONTH. The 9.10 drivers were released in OCT 2009 and the 9.1 drivers were released in January 2009, ten months before the 9.10 drivers.

Hope this helps you understand the ATI driver numbers now.

dduff442
02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
If you think of it as a decimal, yes, it is same number. But when describing ATI's driver versions, that is a big nono and can cause big problems. Think of the decimal as a simple separator for two whole numbers. The first number signifies the YEAR and the second number signifies the MONTH. The 9.10 drivers were released in OCT 2009 and the 9.1 drivers were released in January 2009, ten months before the 9.10 drivers.

Hope this helps you understand the ATI driver numbers now.

Fair enough. The file attached to the earlier post is the correct 9.10 version, though.

Flanker35M
02-09-2010, 09:01 AM
S!

Coastie, I did file a Feedback Form for Catalyst team explaining the issues. But better now that you got Terry's attention. Thanks a ton! Hopefully ATI will take a look in this. At the annual virtual pilot con we discussed the IL-2 and how it performs. We did extensive track running etc with logging and checked results. It seems code of IL-2 has errors in some values in it, but hard to tell what without more troubleshooting capability.

Even IL-2 age is showin a small bit of attention could be given, to at least address the support for newer gfx cards. IL2 is so far the only game I run that has problems. Others I play, like STALKER, Rise Of Flight, Aces High 2, Mass Effect 2 etc. Have NO issues at all..go figure.

I am planning to go for AMD cpu just for fun, using Intel i7 920 atm with the Intel DX58SO mobo. Just need to see if the AMD can use DDR3 yet ;)

Qpassa
02-09-2010, 09:25 AM
good news,thanks coastie

Flanker35M
02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
S!

Did some testing last night with Catalyst 10.1 Hotfix drivers and different DLL-files of IL-2 floating around. To see which ones would give best image quality and performance. Quite surprising results as average framerates were within 1-2fps between ALL of them with same settings applied to the graphics card. The most recent dll-files caused terrain to flicker and corrupt, but setting Catalyst AI ON solved that. Catalyst AI just has a negative impact on FPS, it drops and noticeable in heavier scenes of The Black Death. But average FPS was with ALL 53-54FPS at 1920x1200 32-bit, Perfect etc. Will post my test setup later today for reference.

A few pointers though. If using AntiAliasing EdgeDetect with 4X and AA Mode at Performance, there is only a very small hit on FPS, maybe 1-4fps. So a very well implemented thing. With Adaptive or SuperSampling almost the same, maybe slight stutter. But need to run more tests to verify this. Anisotropic filtering, if application controlled, gives worse image quality than overriding it with CCC. IL-2 seems to use 2x Anisotropic only. I ran tests with 16x and there was a difference in the water shimmering.

Catalyst AI is a bit complicated issue. Some DLL's required it to be at Standard at least to get normal graphics(terrain only). Some dll's worked normally and faster without it. Catalyst AI at Advanced caused water to look like it was "pixelated" or covered with small squares. So I settled with a set of dll's that gave best image and performance without Cat AI.

The variation of error messages in console with different dll's was wide. Some gave a lot of them, most only the clamped error now and then. So a set of new dll's for IL-2 would clearly help users to get more out of IL-2, but that is up to TD/MG to decide :) Test results with settings and conf.ini later today..still at work..meh!
Coastie, can you keep us posted on ATI Team's responses on the driver issue? Would be great to see these issues rectified.

=PF=Coastie
02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I rcvd an update from Terry and they are working on it. We will need to be VERY patient with this guys. As long as e have the 9.10 dll's we are ok. A lot of testing will be going into this as well as making sure nothing else is broken in the driver after making adjustments.

I will test some of your findings Flanker. I like what you have come up with so far. But I disagree with your assesment on the in game aniso.

Flanker35M
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
S!

Coastie, the anisothing is based on the thing that if I set it to Application Controlled then it reverts to 2x every time I run IL-2, even it would be on 4x or anything else before that. Also when running application controlled the shimmering is closer to you than with forcing it to higher value with CCC. I ran on 16x and it was almost non-existent. But results may vary and we need to test more :)

I now changed rig to AMD Phenom II 965 BE + 790FX chipset Asus mobo added with 8Gb DDR3 in dual channel. IL-2 runs fine even there is still the blocky text. If you need something tested, just let me know and I will dig into it. I am for one very eager seeing IL-2 run fine on ATI cards and if testing helps then even better :)

=PF=Coastie
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
When you switch to app pref in the CCC it will revert to 2x. It has nothing to do with what the game is rendering. Try this for a comparison......

Start with a random CCC setting of lets say 4x and uncheck use app preference in the CCC. Now start game/choose a map with lots of long straight LEVEL roads/hit fly and lawn dart your plane onto a nice long stretch of level straight road(try to mark the place you crash so you can do it again in the same place). Now, using the external view, look straight down the road at ground level. NOTE HOW FAR YOU CAN SEE THE ROAD CLEARLY UNTIL IT FADES AWAY. (pick a tree or something to mark the spot).

Now close game and go back to CCC and tick use app pref in the aniso block. Also make sure you are using aniso as your mipmap filter in the conf.ini (TexMipFilter=3).

Now go back and crash your plane in the same place and compare how far you can see down the road. I am sure you will be amazed at the difference. I find that using the games aniso gives me much better results and higher fps.

Brainless
02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to share my config.ini settings. I've spend couple of hours in testing to find best settings for my system (ATi User).

System:
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4600+ @ 3200MHz (Overclocked)
MEM: 2x1GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
Video: ATI Radeon 4850 512MB

Video Settings:
Resolution: 1280x1024 (I'm still using 19" 5:4 LCD)
VSync: Off
TrippleBuffering: Off
Video Mode: OpenGL,
Antialiasing: forced to 6x.
Anisotropic Filtering: forced to 16x
Catalyst A.I.: Low

Test is made with DeathTrack and Fraps.
The Benchmarking is started around one/two seconds after DeathTrack beginning, and stopped after 152 seconds.

The Result is:
Min: 21fps
Avg: 53.776fps :)
Max: 123fps (:o)

[window]
width=1280
height=1024
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=0
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

I've found that setting some TexFlags to 1 have great impact on fps. Don't know is that true with nVidia.

To dduff442: Can You try with my [OpenGL] config.ini settings (especially TexFlags) and post results. I think You can get far better FPS with Your MONSTER System (compared to mine).

p.s.: Sorry for my poor English.

=PF=Coastie
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Brainless, your english is great.

Try checking "use application preference" in the aniso block of the CCC. You are already using the aniso filter in the conf.ini, so you might as well try it. I think you will find that it will give you a few more fps and you won't be able to tell the difference visually (ESPECIALLY WHILE FLYING).

Also, what ati drivers are you using and do you use the atiogl.dll in your IL2 folder?

Very strange you have these off:

Do you see any texture problems in game?

Lastly, the below two settings are supposed to be for ATI. The ones you have are supposed to be for Nvidia:

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Your FPS are fantastic and it looks like you have found a sweetspot for your system. I am just trying to see if some of these make any difference in the real world.

I will test your settings too.

Good job!

rakinroll
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Ooops -- got the version number wrong. That's 9.1 rather than 9.2. I've attached the zipped dll.

Checking for Catalyst updates on a regular basis is probably a good idea as well. Don't forget to backup the dll in your Il2 directory to test the updates, though, or otherwise you'll be stuck with 9.1 which isn't perfect by any means.

dduff

Mate, i will try this file too but do not know where to i put it.

=PF=Coastie
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
If you have an ATI 4xxx series card or newer, you want the 9.10 file, NOT 9.1. They are two totally different drivers.

dduff442
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Mate, i will try this file too but do not know where to i put it.

Just drop it in your main il2 directory.

dduff442
02-12-2010, 09:51 PM
If you have an ATI 4xxx series card or newer, you want the 9.10 file, NOT 9.1. They are two totally different drivers.

The file attached to the post on pg 1 is the 9.10 driver though.

dduff442
02-12-2010, 10:22 PM
@Brainless

I've done a lot of benchmarking but I've been fiddling around with the settings so much its hard to compare the results. My setup seems to have made peace with water=2 and gives acceptable frame rates now, the only problem is I can't pin down the exact reason.

The main problems now are freezes when the point of view is changed at the start of missions as the terrain and objects etc are loaded into memory. If anybody's having this problem, the simple solution is to pause at the start of the mission and have a good look around with external views enabled. Do the same for other a/c as well if needed and those annoying stutters at the start should be dealt with.

I'll post benchmarking results and settings tomorrow.

dduff442
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I think I've found an answer to the shimmering water/wriggling shoreline problems and a way to use Water=2 with both good FPS rates and good image quality.

Because I was varying so many parameters before, I was mis-interpreting the meaning and effects of each setting. I was running with Catalyst AI disabled because I'd somehow gotten the idea this causes problems but with my other graphics settings too high this gave me the incorrect impression I needed to set Water=0.

Enabling Catalys AI together with maximising all the Catalyst settings gives playable FPS on my system but the problems of shimmering water etc. remain. This is because as the graphics settings are too high, Catalyst starts scaling back the anti-aliasing etc settings in GPU-intensive scenes. The shimmering/wriggling starts when the AI throttles back the AA and you basically get no AA when the GPU load gets too high.

I've found it best to start with AI disabled and every other Catalyst setting minimised except for AA Mode which I set to 'Super Sample AA'. Super sample AA has the biggest impact on both FPS and image quality. It's the only setting that will fix the shimmering/wriggling problems completely so if image quality is important to you this is probably the best place to start.

After checking that FPS is still acceptable, you can then start upping the other Catalyst settings bearing in mind that AA is both most intensive for resources and is most important to image quality (it being the reason for enabling the GPU-hungry 'super sampling' in the first place).

At 1920x1200, my HD5870 gives (Track) AvgFPS/MinFPS (TheBlackDeath) 49/15, (Kamikaze2) 48/15 and (P39vsBf-109) 79/49 with Catalyst set as follows:

AI disabled
4xAA using 'Edge Detect' for a total of 12x samples
Super-Sample AA
'Use Application Settings' for AF
'Quality' mipmap.

...the FPS drops in BlackDeath and Kamikaze are fleeting and barely noticeable. P39vsBf-109 is problably more typical of normal operation. Max FPS is anywhere from 120 to 160.

For anyone who joined the discussion late, I'll go through all the steps again: (1) edit conf.ini, using Flanker35M's settings. (2) Drop version 9.10 of atioglxx.dll (attached on pg 1) in your Il-2 directory (3) Switch off Catalyst AI, minimise all Catalyst settings and set the AA mode to 'Super Sampling AA'. Check your FPS in 'BlackDeath' -- if it's okay, start increasing AA and AF settings in Catalyst checking FPS after each increase. If FPS is too low with 'Super Sampling' enabled, you'll need to choose between lowering the resolution, lowering the Sampling method to e.g. Multi-Sample or setting Water=0 in conf.ini.

Multi-sample AA will cause wriggling/shimmering effects on water, but if you can live with that then fine. Otherwise you can enable Catalyst AI which will ensure a decent FPS but the wriggling etc. will still pop up every now and again.

Your final nuclear option to hang on to 'perfect mode' graphics is to set Water=0 and Effects=0 in conf.ini. That way you'll still get the maximum draw distances but lose a little eye-candy. Alternatively, you can lower the draw distance and hang on to the nice graphics settings -- they're very nice indeed with all the niggles ironed out.

=PF=Coastie
02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Very good point Duff. It is always a good idea to start at a low base and work your way up.

For instance, with my 5770, I only run SSAA in "box"AA at 2x because my card has a lot less horsepower than yours. But it still gets rid of the shimmering and it looks great at 1920x1080.

Now, If I drop down to say HDTV 1280x720 (you must have an HDMI cable to see this setting) I can bump that up to 4x and still get about the same fps!

Also, I prefer to run water=0 because quite honestly, I think water=2 just looks stupid in rivers. It looks great in open ocean. But in rivers it just looks silly. I think water=0 just "fits" better to rivers.

On a side note: I hope they "scale" this feature in BOB. So that you still get the same effects with different water settings (reflections,shadows) but it scales to the body of water it is in. In a river, even in windy weather, the waves should not look the same as they do in the ocean or a big lake.

Flanker35M
02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
S!

Yes, good to test various settings. This is how I did it as well. The "jaggy" rivers is no real show stopper for me, as again I am not there to look at the rivers or water ;) But it is true SuperSample AA setting helps with it.

The thing with Effects-setting. If using 10.1's without the Effects=1 you are almost certain to get graphical anomalies when explosions or gun fire near the planes. When at 1, then nothing. So is this setting tied to lighting as well on surfaces etc?

Catalyst AI. I keep it always off, it reduces FPS in IL-2, easily measured in The Black Death for example. Having it off gives a few extra FPS. Funnily enough Catalyst AI is required with some DLL's (IL2 ones, not ATI) to get rid of the terrain showing up as flickering and distorted squares. The latest 13.3.2008 DLL's work without Catalyst AI with decent perfromance. On par with the 9.2.2008 ones, very slight difference.

I also run 1920x1200 as having 16:10 scale 24" screen. My FPS in black death with current settings with VSync on is min 23 max 72 avg 53 FPS. Without VSync the minimum is the same, maximum 200+ and average around 82 FPS. I run now an AMD rig instead of Intel, just for the fun of it ;)

=PF=Coastie
02-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the shimmering is one of those things that just drives some people nuts. It is a real eye catcher on certain maps with lots of rivers, that is why I try to get rid of, or at least reduce it a little.

People so often try to max out all this different eye candy without ever consider the real world affect WHILE FLYING IN COMBAT! If you are flying in combat, you will not notice 75% of this stuff.

Take the "effects" settings for instance. The only real differences are effects like shadows under explosions and small puffs of smoke......REALLY? Can someone honestly say they see the difference in this stuff while fighting a dogfight or attack ground targets?.......REALLY?

That said, it is still good to know what your machine can do. Maybe you like to take high res screen shots and stuff like that. Well then you really need to know what is your max settings that can still be playable so you can record tracks while playing then go back and get the best possible effects. But for 95% people much less settings will do because they will never see the difference in game in combat.

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
S!

Did some more testing, results can be seen over here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5031088038/p/4

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
S!

After testing some more..I set on the Vertex Array options in conf.ini and got following results...There is an impact for sure. Hoping ATI will issue this un upcoming drivers.

Black Death track, both VertexArray option enabled

Minimum: 28fps
Maximum: 284fps
Average: 93fps

+ Increase of fps in smoke and flame intense scenes of the track and average boosted a bit.
+ No artifacts or anomalies, either no console errors.
- The "blue hue" is there with these on.

Black Death track, only VertexArrayEXT enabled

Minimum: 24fps
Maximum: 285fps

+ Perfromance still good
+ No "blue hue" noticed nor artifacting, console clean.
- Would perform better with both options on.

So ATI has some homework to do with their drivers. I post the results I got without the vertex arrays enabled below. Figure the rest ;)

Black Death track, no vertex arrays

Minimum: 23fps
Maximum: 286fps

+ No artifacts or errors, no blue hue
- Slightly lesser overall performance in dense places of the track.

If you look at the numbers there is no big difference. The difference was in overall performance of the track playing. With both Vertex Arrays ON, the track ran at a higher consistent FPS than without them in many places so definitely has an impact on performance of IL2. This can explain the difference between nVidia and ATI in IL2 as nVidia can use Vertex Array option without problems thus giving more FPS in certain situations. If ATI and/or MG/TD can fix this issue then there is none or very small difference in performance of either card brand.

Back to testing...

=PF=Coastie
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
You should send those test results into the ATI feedback form....good stuff!

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
S!

Feel free to use them if you are in direct contact with Terry :) I can be your tester if he asks for something :D

13th Hsqn Protos
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
S~! Coastie

Long time no see.

I have done a lot of experimenting with ATI and confirm flankers results with vertex. Its also the same with AnisotropicExt changing to 0 or 1 yeilds little to no difference.

I recently went to the darkside (temp rma my sapphire) with an Nvidia 275 GTX and must say that the performance increase is incredible.
Over 30 fps increase in Black Death average and minimum frames up by over 15fps.

My understanding is that SoW is going to be heavily optimized for Nvidia...... I hate to admit it but I think my move to Nvidia may be permanent.

Ati is not supporting S.o.W according to some devs..... highly doubt there will be anything really done to improve IL2

But keep pluggin :)

My settings FOR MAX visual quality while maintaining high frames as follows

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=1
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=0 (change as you see fit)
Effects=1 (change as you see fit)
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 08:00 PM
S!

I really really hope SoW is NOT going to be a "one trick nVidia pony" like IL2 is. There was a reason for this, but with SoW I do not see ANY. Not gonna buy nVidia just to play one game my current ATI maybe could have problems with. I read the forums how people bitch about ATI but in most cases I do not have their problems at all..so the BIGGEST factor here is the organic plump that is between the keyboard and chair ;) People expect and assume too much, think they know it all etc. And even then..after all the moaning they have to admit it was a thing they did. IMHO. And if there really is a problem, then there are channels to voice your concerns, if done in an appropriate manner of course. Saying: it won't work you suxxors is hardly constructive feedback that a dev will react to ;)

DirectX 11 is same for both brands..and both brands provide massive performance in it. Also if devs say ATI gives no support..it really is a 2-way road to be honest. Have they even put effort to it..and what do we even know what is going on behind the MG curtain? Sure nVidia could be lobbying and smearing, nothing new there in the world of business and hard cash. But I do not think ATI would ignore a title that will be a benchmark for years to come. Like shooting yourself in the leg.

But not to derail from the topic..The pipe towards ATI is open regarding drivers with IL2 which is a good thing :)

13th Hsqn Protos
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Wishing on it REALLY hard won't make it so ...... ATI has never had proper drivers for IL2 ... never mind 'optimized' ones.

Devs code for NV ..... it has been stated. You can bury your head in the sand or you can deal.

I have been ATI in this game from day one, but now its not really feasible .....when one brand gives you a 30fps average frame advantage ...... its time to move on.

ATI is great piece of hardware for a good price ..... but its not for this series of sims if you are looking for maximum performance.

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
S!

ATI is looking into IL2 now and even with the bugs in drivers I have come very close to the FPS nVidia users get ;) Maybe should start lobbying ATI to take a look in SoW. They have DirectX 11 certified hardware already and SoW is DX 11 ;)

To put it this way..If regurarly I run many other games without a glitch, namely Rise Of Flight, Aces High 2, Mass Effect 2, STALKER, Dawn Of War, EVE Online etc. and ONLY IL2 or SoW would cause me any kind of need to tweak or such..that should tell something and not very flattering in my book.

I will buy SoW to support flight sims anyway..and tinker to make it work if ATI supposedly does not look into SoW..which I think is not true.

13th Hsqn Protos
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
S~!

Well good luck with that Flank ..... I am 42 and have better things to do with my time than to constantly tweak defective drivers for a game that is optimized for another card maker. Oleg has a longstanding relationship with NV .... whether we like it or not. NV cards run his games BETTER - and that couldn't be more evident with the latest drivers ATI is pumping out. That is not opinion...... but fact.

At some point you have to weigh whats best for you and the games you play.

There was a time when hardware was roughly equal in IL2.

That is no longer the case ..... regardless of what you "think" .... benchmarks don't lie ..... and your not that much more tech savvy then the rest of us regardless of what you try to 'insinuate' ;)

Indeed there might 'gasp' be some people posting in this thread who own a computer business and consult/build/troubleshoot/optimize hardware/software for a living :eek:

Once you get to my age, tinkering loses its appeal. I just want things to WORK now.

Flanker35M
02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
S!

I have not stated being any tech savvier than anyone else, far from that. What I know is based on my experiences with computers. And not that far from your age either, so referring me as a teen is an insult actually ;) :P

For me slight tinkering is not a bad thing, that way I learn more how things work. Blaming ATI having worse drivers than nVidia is utter BS in my opinion. There are no perfect drivers. nVidia pours out drivers now and then, but it does not mean quality. Neither does ATI's 1 per month. Too many configurations and systems to make everything click, so I find it worthless to debate of 2 brands making stuff making us able to play..

Benchmarks are crap. Take a benchmark, construct a set of drivers just for it and then show off the FPS. Hell yeah, so far from truth that anything can be. Joe Average is blinded by the tech mumbojumbo, flashy fps and buys the card and is soo disappointed when the marketing hype is going down the drain..I believe when I see with my own eyes.

So I would end this by saying that if feedback to ATI makes a difference, then this tinkering etc. has not been in vain. Pointless to bring up the fanboi mentality, both brands offer more than enough power for our needs. Just a matter of preference which one you use.

genbrien
02-16-2010, 11:17 PM
S~!

NV cards run his games BETTER - and that couldn't be more evident with the latest drivers ATI is pumping out. That is not opinion...... but fact.

I loled:lol:

We dont even know when the game will be finish, yet you're already saying that NV will be better....

If you look at game these days, both ATI and NV are quite the same, except if the develeoper take HAVOK or PHYSX.....

I really dont think we'll see a diffenrence in quality if the game is made in DX mode....

We got problem with ATi because of the OPENGL driver....

Anyway, wait and see:rolleyes:

=PF=Coastie
02-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey Proto, been a long time man. I see you haven't changed! ;-)

What ATI card did you have before you changed? Did you upgrade your entire PC? Are all things exactly equal here?

Because your claims are complete BS man. If you had a card on the same level as your GTX275, it would have been an ATI 5870 or maybe a 4890. Otherwise, you are not comparing apples to apples here.

Guys with 5870's are getting very close to same fps at the 280's are IF all things are equal. Which they likely are not.

ATI's AA settings are way different than Nvidias as well as the quality. To get two games set up exactly alike would be tough because the AA settings alone just do not match up.

So, lets just get off the fanboy wagon here(I am one, I know it) and get back to the topic.

13th Hsqn Protos
02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
LOL

EXACTLY the same system and if you actually read the post you would see what the hardware was.

It was a 4850X2 2gigabyte card water-cooled and overclock to 4890+ clocks. 3D vantage scores are within a couple of hundred points of each other with the 275GTX

The lack of knowledge in here is stunning.... and for the record its my first NV card in almost 10 years..... was straight ATI since day one in this game.

Make it personal ......... but as the young pups say the facts are raping your faces :cool:

The only fanboy wagon, is the one you fellas are riding, owned both and benchmarked both which is more than anyone else in this thread can say. Orb results available if necessary.

But hey I got love ..... just make sure to post those new ATI drivers that will fix text corruption, close the memory leak in 9.x & 10.x drivers AND will give EQUAL frames for same IQ ...... LoooooooooooooooooooooL

Loyalty to people is good. Loyalty to companies is for idiots.

=PF=Coastie
02-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Sorry, but I still dont see where you posted your card. I must be missing a post or something.

Glad you found something you are happy with. Your right, Nvidia is perfect in every way and ati is the devil. Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

You are 100% correct in all aspects.

Thank you and sorry for my blaring ignorance Sir.

13th Hsqn Protos
02-17-2010, 03:16 AM
S~!

Its all good. Ignorance is Bliss. Sir.

Looking forward to those new drivers.

Flanker35M
02-17-2010, 07:49 AM
S!

Protos, maybe you should cool down a bit. My cards have been both ATI and nVidia, since day one or whatever you refer to. And I can say this 5870HD rapes the face of my previous 280GTX bar none. ONLY game where nVidia has been even close challenging this card or even topping it is..tadaaaaa..IL-2. So cut the crap and stop saying your 275GTX beats my ATI. And that is a FACT. Do not need to be a fanboi even to state it ;)

As of the drivers. 10.1's have no memory leak. Before they had as you said, no arguments there. Was easily spotted when trying to build a mission in the FMB, the game crashed after a while. Now nothing, zilch, nada! It works like it should. IL-2 is an old game, nearly 10 years and it shows. If ATI is looking into the driver issue and IL-2 bug it is a good thing, a benefit for all.

I do not test and tinker IL-2 with ATI to promote myself or prove something. Just to provide information what makes what if changed in settings. Those with knowledge of the internal workings of IL-2 like TD or MG MIGHT read this msgboard and take a look and possibly even do something about it.

It would be very nice of you if you stopped spewing the nVidia stuff in a thread supposed to give hints and tips for ATI users. And if you are such a guru with ATI, since day one, then maybe you could contribute as well rather than poop out nVidia supermacy or propaganda. It serves no-one.

So back on track here...Testing and seeing what does what ;)

Flanker35M
02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
S!

And just for Protos as you said benchmarks do not lie. A link to Guru3D that tested the cards on similar system to achieve results. Numbers speak for themselves I think. Fermi will for sure change the listing, it is a neverending story of fluctuation. But here the link http://www.guru3d.com/article/vga-charts-december-2009/1

Flanker35M
02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
S!

For the fun of it tested Protos's conf.ini, except did not have all those NV related items on, only 2. Some notes on them. Sky=1 equals to no clouds so gives a boost in FPS. Easy way to pad your average. Landgeom=2 also gives a bit more FPS. The AnisoEXT=0 or 1..slight difference in image, with 1 better for me. But let the numbers speak for themselves..

Protos conf.ini, otherwise equal to my settings above
* Min 25 Max 296 Avg 107 FPS

With only Sky=1 on my original conf.ini
* Min 25 Max 286 Avg 100 FPS

My original conf.ini
* Min 23 Max 286 Avg 93

Note that I use Sky=2 and LandGeom=3 that drop the average FPS a bit.

genbrien
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
The lack of knowledge in here is stunning.... and for the record its my first NV card in almost 10 years..... was straight ATI since day one in this game.

Make it personal ......... but as the young pups say the facts are raping your faces :cool:

The only fanboy wagon, is the one you fellas are riding, owned both and benchmarked both which is more than anyone else in this thread can say. Orb results available if necessary.

Loyalty to people is good. Loyalty to companies is for idiots.

ouch, I laughed so hard I think I just broke one of my ribs :lol:
I dont know where you get your ''facts'', but in 90% of games ATI is over NV in benchmark. And dont take Vantage as a reference, it's working with PHYSX:rolleyes:.

My 4870 were my 1st ATI card ever, always was with NV before. There is some things I like more with NV than ATI, and vice versa.

And for someone over 40, you act very childish and seems to be a very stuborn person:!:

I'm waiting for FERMI to be released to see what my next purchase will be, but I'll certanliy not made my choice because a compagny screwed up a game 10yo :rolleyes:

maclean525
02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll never understand why folks get all spun up about ATI v's NVidia. They're just two hardware vendors who both compete to make the best graphics cards they can. Whenever one releases a new card that is usually the card to have to be soon leapfrogged by the next.

Right now if you want triple-screen or maximum performance the only option is ATI. When NVidia release their new card as long as you don't mind single-monitor there is NO DOUBT that will be the card to have. But at this time the new ATI offerings utterly destroy anything from NVidia. As to be expected, those NVidia cards are ancient now!

We're fighting with a 10 year old game here people, it's obviously going to have some issues with the newest hardware. Frankly I'm astonished it works with my 5850 in triple-screen in OpenGL (really who uses that these days) at all!

Just enjoy what you have and expend the energy arguing over air supremacy, not who's card is better (na na na na boo boo)

Flanker35M
02-18-2010, 06:32 AM
S!

New Catalyst 10.2's are out. Ran a few tests with them. Performance is good, but the blue hue and blocky text is still there. did not expect any fixes this fast though and filed a Feedback form with detailed info how it shows and how to reproduce etc.

What I noted with these new drivers is that clouds look normal in Black death track again, before they looked kinda too bright etc. Also tested with NV related settings on, this time no console errors at all and no decrease in performance as before. But need to conduct more extensive test runs today.

Keep filing those feedback forms with details :)

=PF=Coastie
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks Flanker!

I had just enough time to load 10.2's and run a track. Then I realized I still had the ogl file in my folder. Moved that and ran again. The one thing I noticed was that I got a 2fps jump in Min and 6fps jump in average....interesting! But yes, still blocky text. I will look at the clouds later today. I did notice they looked "bright" before.

I will be sending in my report this evening also.

PLEASE FOLKS, SEND IN A NEW REPORT IF YOU TRY THESE DRIVERS.

Flanker35M
02-18-2010, 12:08 PM
S!

Will file a feedback form about 10.2's as well COastie. It seems performance is getting there, but I got a bigger boost with Vertex Arrays enabled. This of course brought the "blue hue". Blocky text is a bit odd, as it is partially affected by Effects-setting in conf.ini :confused: If Effects=0 then blocky text would not clear, if 1 or 2 then clears.

But again, back to testing..

brando
02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
S!

Will file a feedback form about 10.2's as well COastie. It seems performance is getting there, but I got a bigger boost with Vertex Arrays enabled. This of course brought the "blue hue". Blocky text is a bit odd, as it is partially affected by Effects-setting in conf.ini :confused: If Effects=0 then blocky text would not clear, if 1 or 2 then clears.

But again, back to testing..

But still no relief for those of us who fly through Hyperlobby but get shut out by the blocky text issue. Damn!

B

=PF=Coastie
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Brando,

Doesn't placing the atioglxx.dll from the 9.10 driver set work for you? This enables you to fly just fine in IL2 with no blocky text issues while still letting you use the latest drivers until they get this fixed.

Flanker35M
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
S!

Brando, tyr the thing Coastie mentioned OR launch game, run a track and check with console when the blocky text disappears as it does clear after a bit. Then join the server via Multiplayer from game typing in the IP. I use this, even it is a bit more work to do so. But it is either 9.10 file in folder, use of older drivers or waiting for solution/using the workaround.

=PF=Coastie
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
New report sent to ATI with full details on reproducing problem.

Flanker35M
02-18-2010, 06:20 PM
S!

Sent as well. These 10.2's offer very good performance though even they still have blue hue/blocky text.

=PF=Coastie
02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey guys,

We have done our job. Terry Makedon emailed me back. Feedback forms are no longer needed, they are definately looking into the issues.

Good job guys, now we just need to be very patient. These things take a lot of time.

Flanker35M
02-19-2010, 04:50 AM
S!

Thank You to everyone that did file a feedback form and provide information. And thanks Coastie for opening the channels to ATI :) A good point to work forward towards SoW :)

Mysticpuma
02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Running 10.2 in 4.09. I have the 9.10 ati file in the 1946 folder.

I have disabled both Vertex option in the conf.ini. so no blocky text or blue hue.

But I sometimes get the oddest effect when flying over summer or winter landscapes. It can happen at a random time, but the ground goes Deep Blue/Black in colour, all the objects stay correctly coloured, but after about 10-seconds the game CTD's.

I have the original dll installed with the game, so would the 13-3-08 version help do you think?

Cheers, MP.

=PF=Coastie
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Puma, Great to see you man!

Yes, the newest dll's from the 4.09m patch should fix that. Even though I have not seen what you describe, it would only make sense. It certainly would be worth a try.

Flanker35M
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
S!

Mysticpuma, also make sure Catalyst AI is OFF. It does not work very well with IL-2..ATI is looking into IL-2 issues. But I rarely even use Cat aI, see no improvement using it.

Mysticpuma
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Flanker, I have been keenly following this post to make sure I get the most from my 4890!

I have made sure that AI is off, I am running all settings maxed, with Program control switched off, so I get max AA and AF. I need max settings for the movie work I do, so any Graphical glitches cause me great irritation! I long for the days when I flew for fun!

I hope that the guys at ATI can get a fix for this as IL2 is pretty much the only game I have on my system at the moment (although I do have Modern Warfare 2 and Fallout 3 ready to go when I finish the Checkertails movie!) and it's a real pain to have to tweak settings in the conf.ini so I don't get the Blue muzzle flash effect!

Really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this thread and contacting ATI, and looking forward to a fix! Soon!! lol.

Cheers, MP.

Flanker35M
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
S!

If you can live without the older atioglxx.dll in your IL-2 folder and run Black Death for a few secs every time you start the game, then you can safely use 10.2's or even the leaked 10.3's floating around. It sure is a bit more work, but I do this way, just run track to clear blocky text and after that game runs normally. It is only the first load of 3D that does it in Perfect mode.

I've been running tests so my face is blue to get best settings. Actually you get very good image with game controlled Anisotropic Filtering and using Box 2x with SuperSample Antialiasing, it clears the shimmer effectively. Coastie found this. Also in Color at CCC panel you can fiddle a bit with gamma, I dropped it a few notches and the colors are better too :)

I slap my conf.ini below, check it and see what you can use :)

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

maclean525
02-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Flanker, can you post your CCC settings that compliment the in-game settings above?

Flanker35M
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
S!

Of course! Here they are...Taken in order as they are in ALL-tab, using 10.3 drivers.

Smoothvision HD Antialiasing: BOX 2X samples
Smoothvision HD Anisotropic filtering: Use Application Settings
Catalyst AI: Off
Mipmap Detail Level: High Quality(to right)
Wait for vertical refresh: On, unless application specifies
Triple buffering: On

Is use VSync as I hate the tearing when using TrackIR. In Benchmarking I have VSync and triple buffer off.

=PF=Coastie
02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
S!

Of course! Here they are...Taken in order as they are in ALL-tab, using 10.3 drivers.

Is use VSync as I hate the tearing when using TrackIR. In Benchmarking I have VSync and triple buffer off.

OOps, you forgot one:

Antialiasing Mode: Super Sampling

Flanker35M
02-23-2010, 08:17 AM
S!

Yeah, forgot that one ine the hurry I was in :) Any news from ATI yet? I wonder if they include the fix in a new version, like 10.3 or 10.4..or as a separate hotfix driver. I would guess in a major package release though. Shall see, can't wait to finally get this ATI issue with IL-2 sorted!

Mysticpuma
02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Amen to that Flanker! Looking forward to a fix. I also asked in the questions to Team D, whether updated dll's could be looked at for 4.10 as there have been so-many updates in cards and drivers since the last March 08 release.

Cross-fingers, IL2 and ATI will be a working combination very soon?

Cheers, MP.

=PF=Coastie
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm going to wait until March before bugging Terry again. He said that he would be in touch. So I will wait a while. I really don't want to push the issue anymore than I have and possibly ruin a very good thing. I also doubt it will be a hotfix. My guess is CAT 3.4's at the very earliest. More than likely the 5 or 6's though.

ramstein
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
my guess is 3 to 5 months.. if at all
you know ATI is already working on stuff many months in advance, and also they need room to put out fires..

Flanker35M
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
S!

At least they got a lot of feedback and detailed info on the issue which could help narrow down the fix in the drivers. Just a guess as I am no programmer :D Still, it can be a wait but if they really put some time and effort in, the result will be even better.

MP, Team Daidalos does not change DLL's as their resources are not enough and going in to that jungle, as one of them said once, is not very likely. It would require someone from Oleg's original team who was working with them to do anything about it..and SoW is #1 now so I guess not too likely, at least before SoW is out. After that..who knows?!

But again, let's wait and see. Coastie has contact to Terry which is extremely good. I have been reading how ATI gets fire why games do not work and they should fix this and that. Well, in most cases I checked the poster's spec and almost ALL systems were overclocked to maximum..Expecting hardware strained to limits run a piece of software flawlessly is just utopia.

I have not overclocked my system at all and I do not have any problems either..currently only with IL-2 but that is being remedied as well :) All I can say that DirectX 11 games just look so damn good with the new features like tessalation etc. Aliens vs Predator is goddam gorgeous :)

maclean525
02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
S!

Thanks Flanker. I've noticed no loss in frame rate by turning the AA all the way to 8X. However, I cannot use super-sampling as that is an unacceptable frame rate killer for me. I am running 5760x1080 with an ATI 5850 card and in order to maintain an acceptable frame rate I run with Anti-Aliasing Mode set to "Multi-Sample AA". Any other setting absolutely kills fps.

So my final settings are:

Smoothvision HD Antialiasing: BOX 8X samples
Anti-Aliasing Mode: Multi-sample AA (all the way left)

Flanker35M
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
S!

Nice setup there maclean525, with such big resolution. But do you really need 8x Box when maybe 2-4x would do the same with less impact on FPS? I use 2x with SSAA and looks just OK on my mere 1920x1200 resolution.

maclean525
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
S!

Nice setup there maclean525, with such big resolution. But do you really need 8x Box when maybe 2-4x would do the same with less impact on FPS? I use 2x with SSAA and looks just OK on my mere 1920x1200 resolution.

I tested 2x, 4x and 8x AA and the fps was the same on my machine for all three settings. Picture quality was better though which is why I stayed with 8x.

Flanker35M
02-24-2010, 08:21 AM
S!

Yesterday tested the Black Death again with settings I have. These 10.3 drivers hold a promise and if we get the IL-2 issues fixed the performance will be damned good.

What I got was as follows..Min 24 Max 296 Avg 97 FPS :) So pretty decent performance!

Qpassa
02-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Flanker, do you have Perfect mode? Dont you see something stange ?

Flanker35M
02-24-2010, 11:05 AM
S!

Qpassa, what do you mean? I run Perfect mode yes, HardwareShaders=1. The game runs smooth and has no artifacts and no error messages in the console..so no, nothing strange there. Sure I have the "blocky text" when loading graphics, but it clears when the track has played a few seconds. Sure if I play with VSync Off I get tearing with TrackIR, but online I use VSync On so not an issue.

As of the minimum FPS, it is a bit less than on a nVidia card I know. But when ATI fixes the issues I think it will go up. If I adjust Forest=0 and Sky=1 I will get over 300fps maximum, but then there would be ugly forests and cloudless sky. So I sacrifice a few FPS for the clouds and forest. When I play on the Slovakia map summer, my average is 120-140fps, minimum 50fps near those populated towns/airfields, maximum nearly 400fps. So I would say totally playable :)

I have been following the whine of people about ATI and in MOST cases when they have problems I see their system specs. And there is the common thing for over 90% of them, seriously overclocked systems. One can NOT expect a rock solid system with such OC. I run stock speeds and have zero problems. For example people complained about MAss Effect 2 and Aliens vs Predator games having problems..I have none and in AvP the DirectX 11 mode just is amazing...Go figure ;)

ramstein
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
no OC here..

S!

Qpassa, what do you mean? I run Perfect mode yes, HardwareShaders=1. The game runs smooth and has no artifacts and no error messages in the console..so no, nothing strange there. Sure I have the "blocky text" when loading graphics, but it clears when the track has played a few seconds. Sure if I play with VSync Off I get tearing with TrackIR, but online I use VSync On so not an issue.

As of the minimum FPS, it is a bit less than on a nVidia card I know. But when ATI fixes the issues I think it will go up. If I adjust Forest=0 and Sky=1 I will get over 300fps maximum, but then there would be ugly forests and cloudless sky. So I sacrifice a few FPS for the clouds and forest. When I play on the Slovakia map summer, my average is 120-140fps, minimum 50fps near those populated towns/airfields, maximum nearly 400fps. So I would say totally playable :)

I have been following the whine of people about ATI and in MOST cases when they have problems I see their system specs. And there is the common thing for over 90% of them, seriously overclocked systems. One can NOT expect a rock solid system with such OC. I run stock speeds and have zero problems. For example people complained about MAss Effect 2 and Aliens vs Predator games having problems..I have none and in AvP the DirectX 11 mode just is amazing...Go figure ;)

Flanker35M
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
S!

Ramstein, in general in some hardware forums the power users/overclockers whine of hardware not working while pushing it far beyond the design limits thus begging for trouble. But sure it is an interesting hobby to OC. And yes, also "stock people" have problems, do not deny that.

So far I have been very happy with ATI, IL-2 being only game with some issues. Sure workarounds help, but even better when ATI is looking at the issue now. My computer is for gaming only and I have as little useless crap installed as possible, which can be one reason for no or very few problems. A casual user might have his/hers machine for other use too and it is always a compromise. If I had to use a computer for working, it would be separate :)

But not derailing the thread here. We are eagerly awaiting info from ATI via Coastie. Meanwhile testing and playing :)

brando
02-24-2010, 08:05 PM
There's overclocking to instability which will cause problems with the most stable of drivers. But blaming these Ati issues on overclocking is just a red herring. I run both my CPU and my 4890 overclocked but stable and I have no problems with any drivers up until the November Catalysts. Or none that couldn't be relieved by adjusting the config file in IL-2. After that date I began to see the blocky text which is only eliminated by using the earlier atioglxx.dll. So overclocking is not a part of the issue.

B

=PF=Coastie
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
He was simply making a point Brando. He was not saying these text issues are related to OC'ing.

brando
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
He was simply making a point Brando. He was not saying these text issues are related to OC'ing.

Ah OK, I misread the post. Sorry.

B

=PF=Coastie
02-25-2010, 12:53 AM
NP man, easy to do here.

Flanker35M
02-25-2010, 08:43 AM
S!

Yes, as Coastie said. Not blaming OC for problems in IL-2 as they are clearly driver related issues. OC just can make system more prone to errors and other anomalies in some cases. That was my point.

CK_Magnet
03-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Hello Guys !

Question of the Day :

Will the ATI 10.3a includ IL2 fix ?

Flanker35M
03-17-2010, 08:48 AM
S!

Good news! So today have to check the Release Notes of the official 10.3's if IL-2 is included as in fixed. I still would guess these fixes are maybe at earliest in 10.4's. But shall see, another exciting wait ahead today! I did drop 9.10 version atoglxx.dll in IL-2 folder while using 10.3 previews..no problems and FPS ranged from minimum 25fps up to 308fps maximum in Black Death :D

Novotny
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Pages/catalyst-10-3-preview.aspx

Flanker35M
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
S!

Catalyst 10.3a do not fix blocky text in IL-2. Performance of these drivers is good though, even noticed a strange thing when comparing them with and without atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder. Results below on 1920x1200, Perfect settings.

10.3a with 9.10 dll file in IL-2
Min 22fps Max 304fps Avg 95fps

10.3a without dll file in IL-2
Min 22fps Max 284fps Avg 95fps

So we still have to wait a bit, maybe in 10.4's. And now with these drivers, file the feedback form again ;)

THE ERASER
03-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Do you mean with Catalyst 10.3a the Preview Version from February or the new Catalyst 10.3 Preview Version of this month?

Flanker35M
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
S!

The 10.3a drivers released 17th of March :)

THE ERASER
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
S!

The 10.3a drivers released 17th of March :)

Jep, I saw this to late… Thanks for the "NCIS – Gibbs back of the head slap" ;)

So never mind. :rolleyes:

ramstein
03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
http://sites.amd.com/us/underground/tips/Pages/catalyst-10-3-preview.aspx

the 10.3a Beta only say for Vista/Win7

** WinXP is not in here..

wth??

geeesh

Flanker35M
03-20-2010, 06:47 AM
S!

Ramstein, on 26th of March the official 10.3's will include support for WinXP. Do not worry :)

WhiteSnake
03-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Best Quality Settings for ATI Radeon HD3000 series and later:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

Recomended CCC Settings:

Anti Aliasing on Highest settings (edge detect 12x).
Anisotropic Filtering at Aplication Controled.
Catalist A.I. Disabled
Detaillevel Mipmap at Max Quality
Vertical Refreshing (Vsync) at Off/Aplication Controled.
Adaptive Anti-Aliasing Enabled (has a big impact on FPS so i usualy recomend to Disable it).
OpenGL Triple Buffering Enabled.

Note:
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0 and TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0 are 2 Settings that have to be Disabled ("0") for ATI Radeon HD cards!
Just like TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0, TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0, and TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0 wich are nVidia only settings.
Water=2 is the Highest setting for ATI, but that looks atleast as good as Water=3 for nVidia cards if not better.

Flanker35M
03-20-2010, 10:53 AM
S!

Tweaked a bit with effects etc. Testing their impact on FPS. With 10.3a + 9.10 dll in IL-2 root got the following performance on my settings posted here. Track is Black Death.

Minimum 27fps
Maximum 313fps
Average 103fps

So ATI is getting there :)

KG26_Alpha
03-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Water=2 is the Highest setting for ATI, but that looks atleast as good as Water=3 for nVidia cards if not better.

No it doesn't, perhaps you should have added " on my system Water=2 is the Highest setting for ATI etc etc etc"

Believe me I have tested this extensively and there's no comparison.

=PF=Coastie
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, this is a very worthwhile feature for making movies and taking screenies. But I wouldn't know the difference from water=0 or water=500 when I am actually fighting!

KG26_Alpha
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, this is a very worthwhile feature for making movies and taking screenies. But I wouldn't know the difference from water=0 or water=500 when I am actually fighting!

I find it adds to the immersion a lot on some missions.

I don't do Dogfight servers or Online wars, where you fly at 800x600 with the graphics all the way down so you are shooting down house bricks and bombing flat terrain with no scenery with the target objective sticking out like a sore thumb.

I like the graphics maxed out :grin:

=PF=Coastie
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
lol, Nice "extreme" comeback! I have heard of people doing that stuff. Never really understood why though. I guess anything to win no matter what the cost.

I like flying with eye candy too. Like SSAA and aniso. But honestly, I would not notice the difference in water in a fight. But I do need perfect water because it is easier to judge elevation over it. DX water is just too flat and becomes very disorienting.

Flanker35M
03-21-2010, 07:26 AM
S!

I use same settings online and offline, no difference there. Over 90% of time no lag or stutter, so much depends on server too. Water=0 is for me just to have this better water with good performance. Sure Water=2 looks better but maybe better for screenies and such.

Been playing DirectX 11 titles now, like Aliens vs Predator, Silent Hunter 5 etc. and must say damn they look purty. Especially AvP with tesselation. It uses it just right, not everywhere but to add just the right amount of detail. Runs flawlessly and smoothly too. Those xenos are fast and the pulse rifle is like a shotgun, hits nothing :D

Silent Hunter 5..just sooo gorgeous with all these new lighting and shadow things. I can imagine how it will be in SoW. How sun filters thru clouds and water etc. So the wait for SoW is just a tad harder again ;)

But not to stray off topic. Found a thing that boosted my FPS considerably. Will confirm this first with rigorous test before posting so no-one will jump the gun ;)

KG26_Alpha
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Been playing DirectX 11 titles now, like Aliens vs Predator, Silent Hunter 5 etc. and must say damn they look purty. Especially AvP with tesselation.)

Have a look at this for tesselation rendering :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E&feature=player_embedded#

Flanker35M
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
S!

I know this Unigine Heaven and others, tesselation is there in quantities and yes, I know nVidia did better than ATI in it. But I talk about games, not benchmarks software. In AvP there is tesselation and it works, my frames are high throughout the game at 1920x1200 with all maxed out so I think I am happy :)

If ATI wanted to beat the greenies it should put more memory to their cards as 1Gb is too little these days. The 480GTX has 1.5Gb which gives a slight edge in some things. But as I have read the difference at best is within 5-10% and that is not much, these 5870HD and 480GTX are neck on neck in performance elsewhere than in tesselation where the 480GTX is faster a bit.

Again, straying off topic here. Start a nVidia thread. Let's keep this as IL-2 and ATI thread :)

maclean525
03-22-2010, 12:45 AM
But not to stray off topic. Found a thing that boosted my FPS considerably. Will confirm this first with rigorous test before posting so no-one will jump the gun ;)

Spill it!

Flanker35M
03-22-2010, 07:21 AM
S!

Working on it. It is one of the mods. It can be either the 6DOF SHR or ZUTI MDS. But need to run tests on it.

Flanker35M
03-22-2010, 08:02 AM
S!

So after rigorous testing and fiddling with Stock and Modded game, running the Black Death track found this. With UP v2.0n the biggest framerate booster is ZUTI's MDS! Results below speak for themselves. My settings are as in this thread.

UltraPack v2.0n vanilla
Minimum 23fps Maximum 248fps Average 80fps

UltraPack v2.0n + 6DOF Shr
Minimum 23fps Maximum 254fps Average 84fps

Ultrapack v2.0n + ZUTI MDS
Minimum 23fps Maximum 304fps Average 97fps

Stock 4.09m
Minimum 27fps Maximum 273fps Average 97fps

So it clearly shows that ZUTI's MDS benefits performance. If comparing toe UP with ZUTI and Stock without it it can be seen that it could possibly boost Stock 4.10 to a new level of performance. Now keep in mind I am not a programmer or anything, but these conclusions are drawn from the raw numbers running tests. The Perfect Map Textures in modded game did NOT affect performance at all.

maclean525
03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Big news guys! The official release of the 10.3 drivers from ATI list the text corruption issue in IL-2 as a known issue!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalyst_103_release_notes.pdf

This is fantastic because listing it as a known issue is the first step towards having the problem resolved. Nice work everyone letting ATI know this is a problem!

I now look forward to the 10.4 release :)

Qpassa
03-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I hope they could fix it !!!!!

Known Issues Under All Windows Operating Systems
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under
the Windows operating system in the latest version of Catalystâ„¢. These include:

-> Loading time between maps in "Battlefield 2: Bad Company" may be long

->[Catalyst Control Center] Changing to deinterlace mode may default to adaptive
deinterlace mode instead when playing videos

->Pressing the "Page Down" button while configuring the last display in Eyefinity
group may cause the bezel user interface to close instead of switching to the next
display

->Desktop mouse cursor may intermittently appear enlarged

->Utilizing hardware shaders (perfect mode) may cause text to become corrupted and
unreadable while loading any mission in "IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946" game

:I it is the last of priority

=PF=Coastie
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
The list is not prioritized guys. Stuff is simply added as they get it.

It is definately a huge step forward that it is being noted. Now we just have to be patient and wait.

JG27CaptStubing
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah I'm hoping this gets fixed as well. Glad they are aware of the problems... We will wait and see.

=PF=Coastie
03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Stubs, long time no see man.....I finally got a new rig. Not the bohemoth you are using but a big increase over the old rig.

AMD 955BE/HIS HD 5770/ 4gb PC1600 DDR3/Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Mobo, Blah, blah, blah....

_RAAF_Stupot
04-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Has anybody got any idea on how to install Catalyst from a command line? Surely you don't HAVE to use the installer.....

I am building a new system after my one short-circuited itself. The new video card is a Sapphire HD 5770. The Catalyst installer that came on the disk (v 9.11), completely freezes my system, as does the newer version downloaded from ATI (v 10.3) .....:evil:

All I can do is let Windows XP pull the basic display drivers off the disk, which normally would be fine but I need Catalyst to do this work around for IL-2 (I think).

SUP_Trok
04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I solved all problem with catalist and ati videocard:

1 Simply put "atialogxx.dll" from Ati catalist hotfix 9.10 into IL-2 fodler

2 Open IL-2 Setup and seto OpenGL And in video option Disable: Use vertex Array, Vertex array Extension

3 Open conf.ini and in Opengl option set: VideoSetupId=15

4 Use the follow option for opengl:

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

5 IMPORTANT DONT USE PERFECT IN LANDSCAPE!

Qpassa
04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
10.3 have been released but text corruption it is still there.
WTF? :confused:

SUP_Trok
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
I solved all problem with catalist and ati videocard:

1 Simply put "atialogxx.dl_" from Ati catalist hotfix 9.10 into IL-2 fodler

2 Open IL-2 Setup and seto OpenGL And in video option Disable: Use vertex Array, Vertex array Extension

3 Open conf.ini and in Opengl option set: VideoSetupId=15

4 Use the follow option for opengl:

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

5 IMPORTANT DONT USE PERFECT IN LANDSCAPE!

No I solved this problem with this setting, Try :-D

Qpassa
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
No I solved this problem with this setting, Try :-D

but you dont use perfect mode :rolleyes:

SUP_Trok
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
yes, don't use perfect mode

JG27CaptStubing
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey Stubs, long time no see man.....I finally got a new rig. Not the bohemoth you are using but a big increase over the old rig.

AMD 955BE/HIS HD 5770/ 4gb PC1600 DDR3/Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Mobo, Blah, blah, blah....

Yeah man it has been a while. Any news on this front? One of my squad mates just bought a monster of a rig but he really only plays IL2 for the most part.

He has a 5870 which as you know is more than enough card to play this game but the latest Cats are totally broken. In the interim I have him running in excellent mode just to get him up and running.

I've seen some recent posts by Flanker35 which looks like some of this is getting through to the ATI folks. To be honest I so on the fence right now with purchasing a new card. I want to retire my older 8800GTs but Fermi looks to be a bit to hot and pricy given it's tiny performance advantage over the 5870.

Flanker35M
04-05-2010, 11:49 PM
S!

Do not worry guys, these issues are being worked on :) For 5xxx series card easiest way is to use whatever Catalyst, for example the 10.3 official and just drop Cat 9.10 atioglxx.dll to IL-2 folder, disable vertex arrays options (both) from either conf.ini or IL2Setup and play :) Works for me with Perfect like a charm on the 5870HD.

brando
04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
S!

Do not worry guys, these issues are being worked on :) For 5xxx series card easiest way is to use whatever Catalyst, for example the 10.3 official and just drop Cat 9.10 atioglxx.dll to IL-2 folder, disable vertex arrays options (both) from either conf.ini or IL2Setup and play :) Works for me with Perfect like a charm on the 5870HD.

+1

I wouldn't play FB at all if I couldn't fly in Perfect mode

B

=PF=Coastie
04-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Stubing,

Only Cats after 9.10 are broken, but not totally broken. You just have to do as Flanker suggests or simply start the game, run qmb and crash a plane into the water, and the blocky text will go away. Or you can run the Black death track until the :20 mark and it will go away.

ATI is still looking into this. I will hopefully have an update towards the middle or late this month. I do not want to be a pest to Terry. But I have been in touch with him now and then. He said he will have one of the ATI driver Techs contact me if they need further help reproducing the problem.

Stick with your 8800's for now man. I am sure they still scream with this game.

Be patient!

Novotny
04-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm following him on twitter, as I suspect many of us may be. Still reckon those leaked drivers may be genuine, but haven't tried them.

Also, has anyone tried their new OpenGL drivers? I have a habit of keeping up with the news, but not implementing it :D

Flanker35M
04-07-2010, 06:03 AM
S!

I have tested the new leaked drivers. Seem to work OK in games I play. In IL-2 not fixing the blocky text or blue hue. Read what Coastie wrote above, they will update progress :) Coastie, got my PM? ;) :D

DanLewis
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I've followed this thread with interest but a lot of it's gone beyond my understanding and I'm a little confused.

I'd like to tweak my settings to improve the appearance of Il2 as I've noticed other's screenshots / videos look far more attractive than mine (anti-aliasing I presume). I think I'm running a decent enough machine to crank the settings up but am confused about how best to do this. I have:

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.10GHz Black Edition overclocked to 3.30
4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM
ATI Radeon 4890 1024MB GDDR5

I did upgrade my Catalyst drivers a while back but hit the blocky text problem so, after lots of headaches, went back to a previous version. I've been nervous about "upgrading" again for fear of having to spend another weekend rebuilding my machine (and cutting into my rare and valuable playing time).

I generally play offline campaigns as I get too many interruptions to play online for any length of time. I'm keen on eye-candy so would want the cockpit, planes and landscape to be perfect.

Can anyone do me a huge favour and give me a *complete idiots guide* to getting the best out of this setup? I don't have much time to myself so I'd ideally like to start with a perfect graphical setting and reduce if I feel the FPS is too low as I think I'll get to a happy place quicker rather than starting low and increasing the settings.

Thanks

brando
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Dan,

We are running similar systems. (AMD64 955BE, 4Gb RAM, Ati 4890, Win 7 here).
Here is the OpenGL section from my conf.ini :

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

In the Catalyst setup I use the following settings:

Anti-aliasing enabled, level=4x. Filter is Wide tent, samples=8x

Anisotropic is enabled @ 4x

Catalyst AI is Disabled

Mipmap Detail level at High Quality

Vertical refresh is On

Adaptive Anti-aliasing is enabled @ Quality

Triple Buffering is Enabled.......................

The last setting relates to Vertical Refresh which I use to prevent 'tearing' of the cockpit bars when I look around using TIR. If you don't use VR then switch Triple buffering Off.

Have a try with the stuff above. I get very good results with good eye-candy and useable framerates.

B

DanLewis
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for that Brando.

I think I might have ended up uninstalling the Catalyst program in frustration but I'll see if I can dig up an old version somewhere. I've just noticed my drivers are probably a little further out of date than ideal too - 8.14.0010.0678.

Flanker35M
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
S!

Dan Lewis, both www.rage3d.com and www.guru3d.com have archives of older Catalyst sets for you use if not wanting the latest 10.3 :)

Qpassa
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
S!

I have advised this for people who I play with them ,and they have told me that the game works,but at 1 FPS :(.
Have you forgotten something to change?
Thanks

_RAAF_Stupot
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Has anybody got any idea on how to install Catalyst from a command line? Surely you don't HAVE to use the installer.....

I am building a new system after my one short-circuited itself. The new video card is a Sapphire HD 5770. The Catalyst installer that came on the disk (v 9.11), completely freezes my system, as does the newer version downloaded from ATI (v 10.3) .....:evil:

All I can do is let Windows XP pull the basic display drivers off the disk, which normally would be fine but I need Catalyst to do this work around for IL-2 (I think).

Well, I think I have discovered what my problem was.

Originally, I thought the problem was with the ATI HD 5770 card, so I went out and got a nVidia GTS 250 as a substitute. (I tried a GTX 260, but that card wouldn't physically fit in my case - too long by about 15 mm - the framing around the HDD enclosures got in the way).

Alas, when I tried to install the nVidia drivers, I found that the system froze up as well. That left me with the very depressing feeling that my problem was with the motherboard, rather than with either the video card or video drivers.......

Out of desperation, I plugged the GTS 250 into the second 16x PCI-e slot on the motherboard - and lo and behold, the drivers loaded up! So far so good - and although I haven't yet tried it, I think that the HD 5770 will work in the second slot as well.....

I could go and get a return on the motherboard, but at this stage my frame of mind is just to let it be as I have spent too much time and nervous effort on the problem, I don't want to do the whole rigmarole of building the system up from the motherboard, and I will never try & run an SLI or Crossfire setup, so I only need one PCI-e slot anyway.......

So. now I am left with 2 decent video cards.....

Should I just stick with a nice & comfy nVidia card that I know will work flawlessly, or should I swap in the HD 5770 and try the work-around for a bit more performance? Or should I just leave the HD 5770 in the cupboard, for when SoW comes out ( ;) )

Flanker35M
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
S!

Stupot, just use the nVidia if you do not want to fiddle with IL-2. For now that is. When the drivers are updated some time in future, take a new look :) I will for sure post here when these drivers come out officially as I am waiting for them a lot!

Using the atioglxx.dll. It did not require any fiddling at my end. I just took the file, size about 12Mb, and dropped it into IL-2 folder and voilá..game had no blocky text! Do not use Catalyst AI either as it is not really working with IL-2. The best dll-files released by MG are ones dated 13.3.2008 with the newer Cats.

_RAAF_Stupot
04-13-2010, 08:18 AM
That sounds like a good idea Flanker!

CK_Magnet
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Hello Guys !

Question of the day :

Did one of you tried this ? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319691

I was wondering if this driver pack solve actual blocky text bug ?

Flanker35M
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
S!

Will give these a try and report back. But I would rather wait for official info on a driver release, even the wait is long..or at least feels like it :D Thanks for the heads up, been busy in outer space ;)

maclean525
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello Guys !

Question of the day :

Did one of you tried this ? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=319691

I was wondering if this driver pack solve actual blocky text bug ?

Will try these tonight. This release has already been confirmed to resolve the slow loading issue in Battlefield Bad Company 2 so they have addressed at least one 10.3 known issue with this build. Fingers crossed!

Flanker35M
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
S!

Blocky text there still, but did not expect it to be fixed yet. Performance of these drivers is good though :) More consistent FPS in Black Death.

JG27CaptStubing
04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
How often are these drivers released? Back in the day it used to be once a month.

Flanker35M
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
S!

Roughly once a month, but there has been "leaks" now and then. Like this latest driver pack 8.74. Testing it now and so far so good.

THE ERASER
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
I tested this driver (Catalyst 10.4 preview Driver) http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-Hotfix.aspx but still the same.

I know its only a BFBC2 Fix driver but you never know. ;)

I keep testing some "beta" drivers and will make a post as soon as something will change. :)

ramstein
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I tested this driver (Catalyst 10.4 preview Driver) http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-Hotfix.aspx but still the same.

I know its only a BFBC2 Fix driver but you never know. ;)

I keep testing some "beta" drivers and will make a post as soon as something will change. :)

I suspected we had no fix yet..
thanx for being the guinea pig..
how hard could it be to fix it??

THE ERASER
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Nope this driver does not fix the problem at the moment. :( Sorry if I was not clear enough in the post earlier. :rolleyes:

Flanker35M
04-15-2010, 05:13 PM
S!

The driver issue is in good hands guys, just wait. Do not expect every driver release to have a solution. I would wait for the official release notes stating it. It can take more or less time to pinpoint the issues reported, but they are working on it. So patience :)

maclean525
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
The Bad Company 2 fix was a major issue for ATI since lots of review sites use BC2 as a test game and they were panning the ATI cards for their long load times. This fix also improves the frame rates.

Flanker35M
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
S!

Most of the benchmark games in the lists I do not even play..maybe STALKER - Call of Pripyat and now Metro 2033.

Flanker35M
04-24-2010, 06:01 PM
S!

Bumping this thread.

gprr
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Hello all

Decided to post settings for my 5850 and 9.10 atioglxx.dll in game folder workaround:

O.S WIN7
I7 920@3.9

CCC-
AAx12 Adge Detect (x24 would have been even better "controling" explosions stuter but it is bit less smoother in cloudy cases)
AFx16
Catalyst AI "Advanced" (yes for sure !!!)
Mipmap "Quality"
V.Sync "Always ON"
Triple Buffering Checked-on

Rez 1920x1200

conf.ini-

3dgunners=1
TypeClouds=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=0
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=0
SamplingRate=1
NumChannels=0
SoundExt.occlusions=1
SoundFlags.hardware=0
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=9
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=2 ---------------improves speed without real IQ loss spoted by me(S3TC)
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1 -----goes with TexCompress=2

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=0 --------------eliminates blue hue
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=0 ---------------improves performance and makes bit more dirt in explosions(more noticed in moded explpsions),no other change noticed(If it is 0 without OGL driver in game folder,bloky text will not go away for me !!!)
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

There are small artiffects just before planes colide but non seen in UltraPack version.

B.D. result in vanila game is:
Frames------Time (ms) Min Max Avg
8597--------150000 32 64 57.313

Cheers
gprr

Qpassa
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
I have this ,with 5870 allright:

[il2]
title=Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=212.183.243.118
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
region=(dx=0.6925,dy=0.071666665,x=0.0,y=0.0)
adr0=ALL

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.6748047
mapPadY=-0.02734375
viewSet=34
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Shift MouseLeft=worldZoom
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=2
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
FF=1
U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
V=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
1X=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RY=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1U=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1V=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Qpassa
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
10.3 catalyst and 9.10 a****.dll

Flanker35M
04-28-2010, 08:54 AM
S!

Putting Landshading=0 makes my clouds disappear in Black Death track. Dynamical Lights=0 helps with blue hue, did not notice anything else. I just do not use Vertex Arrays anyway until this is fixed. Using atm 10.4a Previews and 9.10 atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder.

Qpassa
04-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I have not any issue with IL-2 with this setup,I have it in perfect mode

gprr
04-28-2010, 06:11 PM
S!

Putting Landshading=0 makes my clouds disappear in Black Death track. Dynamical Lights=0 helps with blue hue, did not notice anything else. I just do not use Vertex Arrays anyway until this is fixed. Using atm 10.4a Previews and 9.10 atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder.

Hello Flanker

Clouds are fine for me with Landshading=0,using TypeClouds=1 in conf.ini and Cat 10.3a + 9.10 atioglxx.dll in IL-2 folder.

gprr

Flanker35M
04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
S!

Will check that one. TY.

Flanker35M
04-29-2010, 08:54 AM
S!

Disabled Dynamical Lights = 0 and no blue hue, rest I kept as I had before. But can now use Vertex Arrays without blue hue. Gave more FPS in lower end of them in the intensive parts of Black Death.

JG27CaptStubing
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks like the new Cats are out anyone try them yet?

BadAim
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
The release notes say it's not, but the fact that it's mentioned gives me hope!

PE_Tigar
04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
The release notes say it's not, but the fact that it's mentioned gives me hope!

Hope... after a year of having that crappy problem we now have hope. :rolleyes:

BadAim
04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
After a year, I'll take what I can get. I've learned that Stomping my feet and throwing a hissy fit doesn't really impress mega-corporations, so I'll opt for having hope.

Oh' and BTW, it's only been six months......just sayin'

Flanker35M
04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
S!

Even ATI is working on IL-2 it does not mean it is in top 5. These new hot & popular FPS etc. games get most attention, which is realistic. But the fact IL-2 is looked into is a great thing.

TheDawg
05-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Any suggestions on a catalyst suggestion for my old x850XT?
I'm using 7.11's now, I recall reading that was the last one that would support the old card.
thanks-

=PF=Coastie
05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Any suggestions on a catalyst suggestion for my old x850XT?
I'm using 7.11's now, I recall reading that was the last one that would support the old card.
thanks-

Stay with that one. You will gain nothing by trying a newer driver for that card.

TheDawg
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Yup, after doing some readin' in the last hour, agreed.
thanks

=PF=Coastie
05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
I ran that card and driver for the last 2+ years with a 3700+ san diego and it ran this game just fine in perfect mode. You just have to get the right settings and it does great. I preferred water=0 to get the extra FPS in heavy action and I ran in 1024x768 with 4xAA and in game aniso. I averaged 50+ fps with 26 min on the Black Death track.

Good luck!

Flanker35M
05-02-2010, 07:28 AM
S!

I also noted, thanks for the tip Qpassa, that DynamicalLights=0 helps a bit too and has no adverse effect on IQ or other things. I can use Vertex Arrays without blue hue with this setting. Good to see ya around Coastie :)

gprr
05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
S!

I also noted, thanks for the tip Qpassa, that DynamicalLights=0 helps a bit too and has no adverse effect on IQ or other things. I can use Vertex Arrays without blue hue with this setting. Good to see ya around Coastie :)

I belive it was me with the tip LOL...

gprr

GS_Hunger
05-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Community,

first, im sorry for my english. I have a problem here with my HD 5770. I tried to get water mode "perfect" to run, but for any reason it seems impossible. I used to have a ATI X1950XTX and copied my old conf.ini cause i used to run water on "perfect".
But now my water looks like this:

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenannt-195c1.jpg

A friend is running the same conf.ini with a ATI HD 4890 and it looks like this:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/100502/b4rvqg8p.jpg

I have Windows 7 64bit and downloaded the actual atioglxx.dll. Catalyst AI runs on "standart".

Driver Packaging Version 8.712-100302b-096979C-ATI
Catalystâ„¢ Version 10.3
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1010
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0735
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9704
Catalystâ„¢ Control Center Version 2010.0302.2233.40412

Thank you,
Hunger

my actual conf.ini:

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1280
height=1024
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=15000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=1
checkTimeSpeedDifferense=0.05
checkTimeSpeedInterval=5
checkRuntime=1

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
adr0=ALL
adr1=MY_ARMY
msg0=<objectiv<blue

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.66875
mapPadY=-0.046666667
viewSet=35
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
SubTitlesLines=3
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=1
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=1
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=4.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=1
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=4
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=0
ObjectVolume=6
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=0
MasterVolume=3
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=3
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=3
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=7
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=de

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
FF=0
1X=0 0 3 7 15 25 35 50 66 84 100 0
1Y=0 0 5 10 17 25 33 43 54 71 100 0
1Z=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 0 8 19 29 39 51 62 75 86 100 0
1U=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

My System:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
3.0 GB RAM
ATI 5770

Flanker35M
05-02-2010, 05:30 PM
S!

Sorry gprr :) Credits to you of course! Too little coffee at the time I posted ;) GS Hunger..Effects=2 is not recommended at all, not even by Oleg ;) It is buggy and causes slowdowns + artifacting especially in smoke. Otherwise your conf.ini looks pretty much the same I use except not using Water=2 ( I have on zero) and Dynamical Lights are off as well.

GS_Hunger
05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Do you have a 5770? And why Water 0?

=PF=Coastie
05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a 5770 and I run water=0 also. You will only see white caps and such in bad weather, like blind or thunderstorms(maybe others but not sure). Have you tried testing it with blind weather condition?

I just prefer water=0 because I don't have time to admire "pretty" water while in combat. It is also a hit on fps and I want all the fps I can get when in heavy action. It is very simply "personal preference".

If I am going to make a track to get some pretty pictures, then I will switch to water=2, otherwise I use water=0 for best fps and still good looking water.

I agree with Flanker about effects=2. I challenge you to see a difference "in combat" from effects 0 to effects 2. Plus, 2 has been known to cause problems in certain situations.

Flanker35M
05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
S!

Effects=2 in Black Death track dropped FPS drastically. For example in the scene where the IL-2's bomb the convoy, normally it rarely dips below 50FPS, but with effects=2 to 20ish. Not worth it and Oleg has said it is a bugged and not recommended feature. I have now found the best setup for me that runs SMOOTH...will post the conf.ini after work.

Flanker35M
05-03-2010, 01:14 PM
S!

Here is my conf.ini regarding OpenGL. I run 1920x1200 resolution with Perfect mode and UP 2.01 enabled. Card ATI 5870HD 1Gb, AMD 965BE CPU, 8GB DDR3, AMD 790FX Mobo, Win7 64-bit etc.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=0
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=15
Water=0
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Baron
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone.

Through no fault of my own :) i turned Ati today when i uppgraded from a 9800GTX to a 4870X2.

Been looking arround for the best settings for this card. The problem is that everyone seems to use differant confinis, the ones that works for them (naturally)

I can get perfect graphics and good looking water and all that but what i also get is the blocky text in the proccess.

Is there a specific fix for blocky text, or is it "on fix works for me, and one works for him" kind of deal?

Edit: For ex. i tried your confini Flanker, and that didnt work, at all. :(

Flanker35M
05-04-2010, 06:24 PM
S!

Baron. The workaround for blocky text is to drop atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 9.10's to the IL2 folder. My conf.ini works on 5xxx, can't tell about 4xxx series.

Baron
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, will give it a go tomorrow.

Thx.

GS_Hunger
05-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Nothing seems to solve my problem, i still got ugly water with your config... dont know why

Flanker35M
05-08-2010, 06:56 AM
S!

Are you sure you run in OpenGL and Perfect mode? If you can post a picture of the water?

Qpassa
05-08-2010, 08:18 AM
why water 0 ?

robtek
05-08-2010, 08:28 AM
My idea also, my 4780 runs water=2 with no probs and more than enough frames

GS_Hunger
05-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I posted a picture one site before, pls have a look.

Flanker35M
05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
S!

Took a look. If you use Water=2 try in QMB setting weather to Hazy or Poor, then see if there are white caps. Why I use Water=0 is because of performance online. I do not fly to stare at water, I want every single FPS and as little stutter as possible. Offline I sometimes try higher water settings for screenies etc.

Baron
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Got everything working now, nice graphics and no blocky text.

So far so good.

Problem is, the FPS are insanly low, min 20-25 max 140-150 and avareage 60-70. Using the same settings or HIGHER with my 9800GTX gave me min 30-40 max 200-400 and avarge 90-100.

Something clearly isnt working as it should.

Is this maby related to the Ati drivers and/or running OpenGL with ati?

Qpassa
05-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Got everything working now, nice graphics and no blocky text.

So far so good.

Problem is, the FPS are insanly low, min 20-25 max 140-150 and avareage 60-70. Using the same settings or HIGHER with my 9800GTX gave me min 30-40 max 200-400 and avarge 90-100.

Something clearly isnt working as it should.

Is this maby related to the Ati drivers and/or running OpenGL with ati?

in The Black Death?

Baron
05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
in The Black Death?

Oops, sry, yes.

And my new card is a 4870X2

GS_Hunger
05-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Nothings solves my problem, no ultra water at all. Looks like shit. Could it be a driver problem??

See my specs two pages before.

Thanks,

Hunger

Flanker35M
05-15-2010, 07:23 AM
S!

ATI runs a bit worse than nVidia on IL-2 due the code has been optimized for nVidia. You can clearly see this optimization when you open the console at beginning of track and look at the list of NV stuff there. Then compare to the same list with ATI and it is a lot shorter. So this has an effect for sure.

For 5xxx series card the 9.10 atoglxx.dll in game folder seems to work just fine. I have not tested 4xxx-series, but if getting those numbers seen above I would be happy. The Black Death track is good to give pointers, but does not reflect the actual gameplay. I got higher FPS in more demanding scenes in-game than on the track.

And as stated many times before ATI is working on this, so have to wait a bit as fixing something like this ain't done in a day or two. Some tips below for testing :) Some might even try 9.10 drivers for IL-2. But if playing modern games this might not be an option though.

Vertex Arrays can be enabled if setting DynamicalLights=0. No blue hue!
You do not need Polygon Stipple or DrawLandByTriangles => 0.
Disable Catalyst AI, no use in IL-2 from my experience.
Water=0 has big impact on performance with some loss of eyecandy.
Forest=3 is less demanding on your system than 1 or 2 for some odd reason.
Effects=1 is good, using setting 2 is like begging for trouble. Bugged and not recommended, not even by Oleg.

Qpassa
05-15-2010, 08:19 AM
sometimes appear some rays in my screen ,but in 2 seconds dissapear ,wtf is this?
They have all colours ( blue ,red , green..)

GS_Hunger
05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Since i make a lot of videos using IL2, i need the perfect "ultra" water to get a nice picture.
But with my water right now, its a mess.

I'm using this config for render opengl:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=0
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=15
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

It looks like this ingame:

http://www.abload.de/img/25u1e0.jpg

Thats not the perfect ultra water..

Is it possible that my actual driver is wrong for this?

Driver Packaging Version 8.712-100302b-096979C-ATI
Catalystâ„¢ Version 10.3
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1010
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0735
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9704
Catalystâ„¢ Control Center Version 2010.0302.2233.40412

Thanks,

Hunger

Qpassa
05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I have this water:
http://i39.tinypic.com/16bndcz.png
9.10 DLL
Catalyst 10.4

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

GS_Hunger
05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I downloaded the 10.4 now and copied your conf.ini but still shit water:(:(

Flanker35M
05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
S!

Hunger, check your CCC settings also. Texture filtering should be High Quality. Disable Catalyst AI. Really no idea why your card does not show Water=2 as better one.

KG26_Alpha
05-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I downloaded the 10.4 now and copied your conf.ini but still sh*t water:(:(

post a pic of it plz

GS_Hunger
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Alpha, i used to be "2/KG26_Andrew" (startet playing IL2 4 Years ago with KG26_Jager and buddys ;), remember me?

The Water looks like the screenshot of one site before, have a look at it.

Slute,

Hunger

Flanker35M
05-26-2010, 06:17 PM
S!

ATI has released Catalyst 10.5 drivers and they have stated in release notes that the blocky text corruption in IL-2 has been resolved. Get your drivers here: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Thank you to all who provided feedback and to Coastie! Now grab the drivers and game on!:cool:

THE ERASER
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Slow Down your horses, did you have a confirmation on this before you twist the key to launch/push the "red button"? :!: ;)

just checking, I have downloaded the driver but did not test or installed jet. ;)

KG26_Alpha
05-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi Alpha, i used to be "2/KG26_Andrew" (startet playing IL2 4 Years ago with KG26_Jager and buddys ;), remember me?

The Water looks like the screenshot of one site before, have a look at it.

Slute,

Hunger

Hi

Yes I remember, I wondered where you all disappeared to :)

OK

Have you got the March graphics Dll's installed ?

These were the last dll's they made for IL21946 around the time of the Slovakia map.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H92K3DP8

Mysticpuma
05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Okay, d/l 10.5, but just want to clear a couple of things up in the conf.ini.

I now remove the 9.10dll file from the Il2 folder, and in the conf.ini, just change the Hardware Shaders = 0 back to 1

I am sure I changed a Vertex setting too?

Can someone just clear up what I need to change back in the conf.ini, so it's back as it was before the 9.10dll work-around?

Many thanks, MP

Baron
05-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Okay, d/l 10.5, but just want to clear a couple of things up in the conf.ini.

I now remove the 9.10dll file from the Il2 folder, and in the conf.ini, just change the Hardware Shaders = 0 back to 1

I am sure I changed a Vertex setting too?

Can someone just clear up what I need to change back in the conf.ini, so it's back as it was before the 9.10dll work-around?

Many thanks, MP

Good question.

Dito from me.

Flanker35M
05-27-2010, 04:18 PM
S!

HardwareShaders=1 is same as selecting Perfect Landscape settings in game under OpenGL. To test the blue hue just enable BOTH VertexArray options in conf.ini or in IL2Setup.

Qpassa
05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I feel like a blink when im in flight

SFF_Karhu
05-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks to all of you in this thread! Now evrything is working just fine.:grin:

No more the famous " Blocky text" issue. Great!!!

Now i can use the new Il2-server library add one program too!

Qpassa
05-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi folks:
I have made a video ( in bad quality because my upload sucks) ,in it you can watch the issue I am having, it make like blinks ( more brighter, less..)
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuo8kImN_xE

Conf.ini

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=212.183.243.118
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
remoteHost_000=

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
region=(dx=0.681875,dy=0.096666664,x=0.0,y=0.0)
adr0=ALL
adr1=MY_ARMY
msg1=quedan\u002010\u0020min\u0020para\u0020las\u0 02023\u0020,a\u0020ver\u0020si\u0020es\u0020posibl e

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.6225
mapPadY=-0.010833333
viewSet=35
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=2
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0
SensitivityZ=1.0

[rts_joystick]
FF=1
1X=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1U=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Z1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RX1=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1X2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1Y2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0
1RZ2=0 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 100 0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[Render_OpenGL]
Shadows=2
TexQual=3
TexLarge=1
TexCompress=0
TexMipFilter=3
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=3
Sky=2
Water=2
Effects=1
Forest=3
HardwareShaders=1
ForceShaders1x=0
[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

[DeviceLink]
port=1711

Asus 5870

THANKS

gprr
05-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Hi Qpassa

It is known issue from 10.4,no solution for that to my knoledge:(

gprr

PE_Tigar
05-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Yep, same thing happens to me too. Guess it's another bug for ATi to solve, nobody noticed it since we haven't used any of their drivers for the last 7 iterations...

THE ERASER
05-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I do not have this blink... never had with the newer and with the old one or with the dll.... Strange :confused:

Flanker35M
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM
S!

Try setting Catalyst AI to OFF. Also might want to try with VertexArrays enabled, both of them set to 1. I never had those flashes.

Qpassa
05-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I have AI off,ill try vertex arrays

Qpassa
05-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Still there the issue , I am thinking of send a feedback u_u

gprr
05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Still there the issue , I am thinking of send a feedback u_u

Please fill the feedback form on ATI/AMD site,it is the start,I did so.
Meanwhile,gone back to 9.10 atioglxx.dll in game folder.

gprr

Qpassa
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I also have made a thread in their forums:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=233&threadid=134142&enterthread=y

Remember people to make feedback here:
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

SFF_Esso
05-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Qpassa, why do You have 2 [Render_OpenGL] sections in conf.ini posted on previous page?

Qpassa
05-30-2010, 07:42 PM
just an error copying

Qpassa
05-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Blink appears when you use Antialiasing

mrclean92124
08-04-2010, 07:33 AM
I just starting having vid corruption for no good reason... was running 10.6 catalyst without using the 9.10 gl dll.. put on ultra 2.1, setup as per the setup guide (steam version).. everything was great.

Since,I have uninstalled 10.6 and installed 10.7...no dice. I can make the corruption go away by changing any of the graphics settings, even the toggle texture cache...

http://drop.io/hidden/vnbre0wx4dyynwq/asset/aWwtMi1zdHVybW92aWstMTk0Ni1qcGc%253D

Catalyst AI: OFF
Mipmap detail: QUALITY
Antialiasing: edge detect 4x
Anisotropic filtering: APPLICATION Settings
Vertical Refresh: OFF
Triple Buffer: OFF

5770 XFX brand new (no O/C) running XP 32bit SP3.

Xilon_x
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
i have ATI HD5970 and il-2 sturmovik 1946 graphic not good.
water or sea no maximun level 4 but 0 or 1.
graphic not in perfect mode because the screen is black all balck but in maximun mode aaaaa i speend moore money for a good graphic card and i have a problem whit this game incredible.
FSX not problem.

i buy and retuturn to INVIDIA cards ATI not good for simulation game.aaaaaashit.
i have catalist 10.7 no differece il-2 sturmovik not 100% graphic but 60%.

Flanker35M
08-05-2010, 05:52 AM
S!

Xilon, try disabling XFire = Catalyst AI to OFF. You do not gain that much with it in IL-2 anyway. If everything is black, there is a setting in conf.ini you have changed causing it.

mrclean92124
08-05-2010, 05:55 AM
above post graphic looks like a black and white checkerboard pattern on plane itself...ground/outside plane looks OK.

Driving me nutz!!

Thanks in advance.

Flanker35M
08-05-2010, 05:56 AM
S!

Post your [Render OpenGL] section here from conf.ini and your Catalyst Control Center settings. Will take a look.

mrclean92124
08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I just realized I didn't have silverhodog's settings put back into conf.ini due to restore... I put them in and no longer have b/w checkerboard corruption... Now I'm back to my original problem which manifested after 2 weeks with 10.6 catalyst drivers...

http://drop.io/hidden/nsr6v5dfaaxm6ar/asset/aWwyLWNvcnJ1cHQtanBn

I tried to expand ati gl dll but IL-2 wouldn't even start 8p...I'm going to try that again right now along with 9.10 and whatever else i can grab.

UPDATE: no dice on 9.1 atioglxx.dll i get like 1fps 8p
UPDATE#2: after a reboot, i am back to same checkerboard corruption as before LOL...If i modify any graphic setting (i know i loose my config.ini settings) it looks fine for that session...after restart back to b/w corruption. 8( I love this game... I must. Although...having some serious remorse about my ati 5770...no matter..press on!

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1600
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=5000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=0
mapPadX=0.6689453
mapPadY=-0.046875
viewSet=32
Intro=1
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=9
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0

[rts_joystick]
FF=0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=4
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
HardwareShaders=1
Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3
Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1
VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

mrclean92124
08-05-2010, 06:54 AM
@)(#$&@)($*U_#U*(@+)#U@)$

OK, after searching, and more.... http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=233&threadid=136052

The solution is found, steam overlay causing the glitches.. 10.7 and 10.6 i'm sure both have good rendering in GL for IL-2... issue is steam overlay causing all my problems o(

Solution is to go into IL-2 properties in steam, and uncheck the "enable steam community" checkbox.

Fired up IL-2 and its eye candy once again.. I love this game...and thanks for this thread...I'm off to steam forum to post my solution.

Cheers.

Xilon_x
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
No sorry man i don't have in this moment X-FIRE interface for online game
i disabilited AI mode but the problem remain.
repeat i have ATI HD5970 il-2sturmovik in exerlent mode is on but land detail is low sea is 2 if i put graphyc detail to perfect mode all screen trasforming in black color.

Flanker35M
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
S!

Xilon..You do not get best water under Excellent. You need to run OpenGL and Perfect mode (Hardwareshaders=1 in conf.ini under Render OpenGL).

Flanker35M
08-05-2010, 09:50 AM
S!

I made some changes to the conf.ini, in red color. Try out and see.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1
Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3
Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2
LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Blackdog_kt
08-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I have held up on updating my drivers due to this for a long time. In fact, i think i have the 9.11 version from the boxed DVD that came with my GPU since last Xmas, when my 4870 got fried and i replaced it with a 4890 (hurray for MSI 3 year warranty :grin: )

I have also seen on the Spits vs 109s forum that succesive driver versions sometimes break things that previous ones fixed. The general consensus there seems to be that 10.6 is problematic, 10.7 is good and 10.5 is the best overall for IL2.

I have downloaded versions 10.5 and 10.7 but haven't installed them yet. So my questions is, keeping in mind that i don't necessarily need the latest driver no matter what, which one should i install? I'm leaning on 10.5 to be honest.

Xilon_x
08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
yes yes good Flanker35 now the sea color and graphyc is goood tank you i modifichet the con.ini TANK YOU

Xilon_x
08-06-2010, 12:35 AM
i enter in hyperlobby online sistem and i join in a server after il-2 start loading procedure the texture change and i have this problem.

if i play in private sistem and not online i not have this problem.

maclean525
08-06-2010, 12:57 PM
i enter in hyperlobby online sistem and i join in a server after il-2 start loading procedure the texture change and i have this problem.

if i play in private sistem and not online i not have this problem.

Which driver version?

Xilon_x
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
i have driver catalist 10.7
i have this message
WRAPER DX:
IL2 DirectX8 Wrapper LogFile.
1C:Multimedia.Dev/Maddox.
=============================

Choose Pixel
Set Pixel
CreateContext...
Driver: aticfx32.dll
Description: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Version: 656396
WHQL Level: certified, but no date information is available.
Modes:
640x480 16 bits
640x480 32 bits
720x480 16 bits
720x480 32 bits
720x576 16 bits
720x576 32 bits
800x600 16 bits
800x600 32 bits
1024x768 16 bits
1024x768 32 bits
1280x720 16 bits
1280x720 32 bits
1280x768 16 bits
1280x768 32 bits
1280x800 16 bits
1280x800 32 bits
1280x960 16 bits
1280x960 32 bits
1280x1024 16 bits
1280x1024 32 bits
1360x768 16 bits
1360x768 32 bits
1400x1050 16 bits
1400x1050 32 bits
1440x900 16 bits
1440x900 32 bits
1600x1200 16 bits
1600x1200 32 bits
1680x1050 16 bits
1680x1050 32 bits
1792x1344 16 bits
1792x1344 32 bits
1800x1440 16 bits
1800x1440 32 bits
1856x1392 16 bits
1856x1392 32 bits
1920x1080 16 bits
1920x1080 32 bits
1920x1200 16 bits
1920x1200 32 bits
1920x1440 16 bits
1920x1440 32 bits
ColorBits: 32
Full screen.
EnableAutoDepthStencil = true.
DepthFormat: D3DFMT_D16
Hardware Vertex Processing.
Depth bits: 16
Stencil bits: 0
BackBufferWidth: 1024
BackBufferHeight: 768
Caps:
DeviceType = HAL
AdapterOrdinal = 0
DevCaps = CANBLTSYSTONONLOCAL | CANRENDERAFTERFLIP | DRAWPRIMTLVERTEX | EXECUTESYSTEMMEMORY | EXECUTEVIDEOMEMORY | HWRASTERIZATION | HWTRANSFORMANDLIGHT | PUREDEVICE | TEXTURENONLOCALVIDMEM | TEXTUREVIDEOMEMORY | TLVERTEXSYSTEMMEMORY | TLVERTEXVIDEOMEMORY
PrimitiveMiscCaps = BLENDOP | COLORWRITEENABLE | CULLCCW | CULLCW | CULLNONE | MASKZ | TSSARGTEMP
RasterCaps = ANISOTROPY | COLORPERSPECTIVE | DITHER | FOGRANGE | FOGTABLE | FOGVERTEX | MIPMAPLODBIAS | WFOG | ZBIAS | ZFOG | ZTEST
ZCmpCaps = ALWAYS | EQUAL | GREATER | GREATEREQUAL | LESS | LESSEQUAL | NEVER | NOTEQUAL
SrcBlendCaps = BOTHINVSRCALPHA | BOTHSRCALPHA | DESTALPHA | DESTCOLOR | INVDESTALPHA | INVDESTCOLOR | INVSRCALPHA | INVSRCCOLOR | ONE | SRCALPHA | SRCALPHASAT | SRCCOLOR | ZERO
DestBlendCaps = BOTHINVSRCALPHA | BOTHSRCALPHA | DESTALPHA | DESTCOLOR | INVDESTALPHA | INVDESTCOLOR | INVSRCALPHA | INVSRCCOLOR | ONE | SRCALPHA | SRCALPHASAT | SRCCOLOR | ZERO
AlphaCmpCaps = ALWAYS | NEVER
ShadeCaps = ALPHAGOURAUDBLEND | COLORGOURAUDRGB | FOGGOURAUD | SPECULARGOURAUDRGB
TextureCaps = ALPHA | CUBEMAP | MIPCUBEMAP | MIPMAP | MIPVOLUMEMAP | PERSPECTIVE | PROJECTED | TEXREPEATNOTSCALEDBYSIZE | VOLUMEMAP
TextureFilterCaps = MAGFANISOTROPIC | MAGFLINEAR | MAGFPOINT | MINFANISOTROPIC | MINFLINEAR | MINFPOINT | MIPFLINEAR | MIPFPOINT
CubeTextureFilterCaps = MAGFLINEAR | MAGFPOINT | MINFLINEAR | MINFPOINT | MIPFLINEAR | MIPFPOINT
VolumeTextureFilterCaps = MAGFANISOTROPIC | MAGFLINEAR | MAGFPOINT | MINFANISOTROPIC | MINFLINEAR | MINFPOINT | MIPFLINEAR | MIPFPOINT
TextureAddressCaps = BORDER | CLAMP | INDEPENDENTUV | MIRROR | MIRRORONCE | WRAP
VolumeTextureAddressCaps = BORDER | CLAMP | INDEPENDENTUV | MIRROR | MIRRORONCE | WRAP
LineCaps = ALPHACMP | BLEND | FOG | TEXTURE | ZTEST
MaxTextureWidth = 16384
MaxTextureHeight = 16384
MaxVolumeExtent = 16384
MaxTextureRepeat = 8192
MaxTextureAspectRatio = 8192
MaxAnisotropy = 16
MaxVertexW = 10000000000.0000
ExtentsAdjust = 0.0000
StencilCaps = DECR | DECRSAT | INCR | INCRSAT | INVERT | KEEP | REPLACE | ZERO
FVFCaps = PSIZE
TextureOpCaps = ADD | ADDSIGNED | ADDSIGNED2X | ADDSMOOTH | BLENDCURRENTALPHA | BLENDDIFFUSEALPHA | BLENDFACTORALPHA | BLENDTEXTUREALPHA | BLENDTEXTUREALPHAPM | BUMPENVMAP | BUMPENVMAPLUMINANCE | DISABLE | DOTPRODUCT3 | LERP | MODULATE | MODULATE2X | MODULATE4X | MODULATEALPHA_ADDCOLOR | MODULATECOLOR_ADDALPHA | MODULATEINVALPHA_ADDCOLOR | MODULATEINVCOLOR_ADDALPHA | MULTIPLYADD | PREMODULATE | SELECTARG1 | SELECTARG2 | SUBTRACT
MaxTextureBlendStages = 8
MaxSimultaneousTextures = 8
VertexProcessingCaps = DIRECTIONALLIGHTS | LOCALVIEWER | MATERIALSOURCE7 | POSITIONALLIGHTS | TEXGEN | TWEENING
MaxActiveLights = 10
MaxUserClipPlanes = 6
MaxVertexBlendMatrices = 4
MaxVertexBlendMatrixIndex = 8
MaxPointSize = 256.0000
MaxPrimitiveCount = 5592405
MaxVertexIndex = 16777215
MaxStreams = 16
MaxStreamStride = 508
VertexShaderVersion = -130815
MaxVertexShaderConst = 96
PixelShaderVersion = -65276
MaxPixelShaderValue = 340282346638528860000000000000000000000.0000
Supported texture formats:
D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
D3DFMT_R5G6B5
D3DFMT_X1R5G5B5
D3DFMT_A1R5G5B5
D3DFMT_A4R4G4B4
D3DFMT_A8
D3DFMT_L8
D3DFMT_A8L8
D3DFMT_A4L4
D3DFMT_DXT1
D3DFMT_DXT2
D3DFMT_DXT3
D3DFMT_DXT4
D3DFMT_DXT5
*Error in Extensions.cpp line:18: Get unsupported extension proc address.
*Error in Extensions.cpp line:19: glMultiTexCoord3fARB
*Error in Extensions.cpp line:19: glMultiTexCoord4fARB
*Error in Extensions.cpp line:19: glClientActiveTextureARB
*Error in Extensions.cpp line:19: wglGetExtensionsStringARB
EndD3D

EndLog.
=============================
this is my conf.ini

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=25000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
checkRuntime=2

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

[chat]
region=(dx=0.6923828,dy=0.071666665,x=-0.06347656,y=-0.0013020834)
adr0=ALL

[game]
Arcade=0
HighGore=1
mapPadX=0.6689453
mapPadY=-0.046875
viewSet=37
Intro=0
NoSubTitles=0
NoChatter=0
NoHudLog=0
NoLensFlare=0
iconTypes=3
eventlog=eventlog.lst
eventlogkeep=0
3dgunners=1

[HotKey game]
PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate

[HookViewFly Config]
timeFirstStep=2.0
deltaZ=10.0

[HookView]
MouseLeft=Len

[HookView Config]
AzimutSpeed=0.1
TangageSpeed=0.1
LenSpeed=1.0
MinLen=1.0
DefaultLen=20.0
MaxLen=3000.0
Speed=6

[HotKey builder]
MouseLeft=objectMove
MouseRight=popupmenu
Enter=freeView
Alt MouseLeft=select+
Alt MouseRight=select-
Alt Ctrl=unselect
PageDown=change+
PageUp=change-
End=change++
Home=change--
Ctrl MouseLeft=insert+
Insert=insert+
NumPad-0=insert+
F=fill
Ctrl MouseRight=delete+
NumPad.=delete+
Delete=delete+
Backspace=cursor
Tab=cursor
F10=land
F11=onLand
NumPad-=normalLand
NumPad+=toLand
NumPad-5=resetAngles
NumPad-8=resetTangage90
NumPad-7=stepAzimut-5
NumPad-4=stepAzimut-15
NumPad-1=stepAzimut-30
NumPad-9=stepAzimut5
NumPad-6=stepAzimut15
NumPad-3=stepAzimut30

[MouseXYZ]
F1=SpeedSlow
F2=SpeedNormal
F3=SpeedFast
MouseRight=XYmove
F4 MouseRight=Zmove
MouseMiddle=Amove
F5 MouseRight=Amove
F6 MouseRight=Tmove
F7 MouseRight=Kmove

[MouseXYZ Config]
RealTime=1

[HotKey Console]
Shift Tab=Activate
[Console]
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOGFILE=log.lst
LOGKEEP=0

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=1
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
Invert=0

[rts_joystick]
FF=0

[Render_DirectX]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=0

Shadows=1
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=7
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0
Water=1
Effects=1

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

i have also atioglxx.dll

Flanker35M
08-06-2010, 02:32 PM
S!

Remove the atioglxx.dll from IL-2 folder Xilon, it can be the cause for your corruption. The 10.7's have been reported to work nicely on MOST rigs. I wonder why you fly at so low resolution..your card could easily push 1900x1200 with everything maxed and not even burp. Also if you want to use larger resolutions change the SaveAspect=1 to 0.

Xilon_x
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
ok ok now i soo good tank you all.

Blackdog_kt
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Should i bite the bullet and upgrade to 10.7 or install 10.5 instead (i heard 10.6 was worse than these two)? I don't necessarily need the latest drivers, just a bit more up-to-date than my aging 9.11 version (i didn't upgrade because i was waiting for the blocky text issue to get fixed). I'm after acceptable image quality and stability first and foremost, the rest of the rig is fast enough to run IL2 at max details even if i run an older driver version.

I'm using a MSI Ati 4890 Cyclone, single-GPU, 1GB of video RAM. Thanks in advance :grin:

gprr
08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Should i bite the bullet and upgrade to 10.7 or install 10.5 instead (i heard 10.6 was worse than these two)? I don't necessarily need the latest drivers, just a bit more up-to-date than my aging 9.11 version (i didn't upgrade because i was waiting for the blocky text issue to get fixed). I'm after acceptable image quality and stability first and foremost, the rest of the rig is fast enough to run IL2 at max details even if i run an older driver version.

I'm using a MSI Ati 4890 Cyclone, single-GPU, 1GB of video RAM. Thanks in advance :grin:

With all the good feedback from 10.7,I'm surprized you havn't installd it yet;)
Really, it is long awaited, allaround very good driver :grin:

Cheers
gprr

Porksmuggler
09-10-2010, 06:12 AM
since I've posted it everywhere else, here's some newer testing with 10.8, pages 17-19

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2497.240.html

and my attempt at an IL-2 1946 guide:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358851

My current "perfect" still not sure on DrawLandByTriangles, why no one is using Specular=3, and if the PolygonOffset is needed (I can't see a difference). If anyone can explain those I would appreciate it :)

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

gprr
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
since I've posted it everywhere else, here's some newer testing with 10.8, pages 17-19

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,2497.240.html

and my attempt at an IL-2 1946 guide:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358851

My current "perfect" still not sure on DrawLandByTriangles, why no one is using Specular=3, and if the PolygonOffset is needed (I can't see a difference). If anyone can explain those I would appreciate it :)

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=3
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Hello Porksmuggler

Specular=3 is FPS master killer - I whined alot in the past about my ATI performance but it was that thing which was the problem.
PolygonOffset is used to cure glitches of flickering airfield objects like runways.

gprr

Porksmuggler
09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Very good, thank you. I've not seen flickering airfields with 10.7 or 10.8 but the PolygonOffset does not seem to impact performance so might as well.

Back to testing with Specular=2, this explains why no one uses =3, perhaps not optimized like Effects=2

Now if only DrawByTriangles would be described, I grow weary of TheBlackDeath.trk and can see no difference from this flag...

gprr
09-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Very good, thank you. I've not seen flickering airfields with 10.7 or 10.8 but the PolygonOffset does not seem to impact performance so might as well.

Back to testing with Specular=2, this explains why no one uses =3, perhaps not optimized like Effects=2

Now if only DrawByTriangles would be described, I grow weary of TheBlackDeath.trk and can see no difference from this flag...

Hi Porksmuggler

You use TexMipFilter=3 and TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1,Thats your "primery and sccondery" filtering method and is the best looking and demmanding one - you do not need another/diffrent filter to use.

gprr

Porksmuggler
09-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes I use those filter settings because in-game anisotropic is said to be better. I am not forcing AF in the CCC. What other filter are you saying I do not need? Are you saying DrawLandByTriangle is related to AF?

gprr
09-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes I use those filter settings because in-game anisotropic is said to be better. I am not forcing AF in the CCC. What other filter are you saying I do not need? Are you saying DrawLandByTriangle is related to AF?

1.Yes you do not need it since you already chose one which is AF.

2." I am not forcing AF in the CCC"...If you set it as Application contolled,than the game will use it optimized with FPS at a certaine momenet,giving max quallity depending on the ceane compute demmand.If you do not set it as Application controlled, the AF value will be applied all the time.

gprr

Porksmuggler
09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
1.Yes you do not need it since you already chose one which is AF.

2." I am not forcing AF in the CCC"...If you set it as Application contolled,than the game will use it optimized with FPS at a certaine momenet,giving max quallity depending on the ceane compute demmand.If you do not set it as Application controlled, the AF value will be applied all the time.

???

I didn't mention using forced AF initially, and I know how CCC works. You said:

You use TexMipFilter=3 and TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1,Thats your "primery and sccondery" filtering method and is the best looking and demmanding one - you do not need another/diffrent filter to use.

My questions were about DrawLandByTriangle, Specular, and PolygonOffset. Those are not related to anisotropic filtering as far as I know. Are you trying to say one of those 3 are not needed because of AF?

gprr
09-10-2010, 05:45 PM
???

I didn't mention using forced AF initially, and I know how CCC works. You said:

My questions were about DrawLandByTriangle, Specular, and PolygonOffset. Those are not related to anisotropic filtering as far as I know. Are you trying to say one of those 3 are not needed because of AF?

Sorry, this is my best:confused:

gprr

Porksmuggler
09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
No worries :)

Thank you for the information on Specular=3, I did more TheBlackDeath testing, definitely performance impact, as you said earlier.

Avg: 88 Min: 27 Max: 206 Crossfire disabled no AA 1920x1080 3.6GHz Specular=3

Avg: 94 Min: 31 Max: 217 Crossfire disabled no AA 1920x1080 3.6GHz Specular=2