Kings Bounty Hunter
02-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Even on normal lol

I am "going for gold" though :)

Got the first misson on Gold but the other 3 options I have no chance :(

Kings Bounty Hunter
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
No wonder the forum is dead this game is ridiculously hard! :grin:

I really enjoy a challenge but these phantom armies are just rubbish are to more accurate, a four letter word begging with S.

I realise hardly anyone is playing the game but if there is anyone that is..help!

Why have a gold medal reward that can't be achieved?

ender
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't played Magic expansion yet.
Fantasy Wars was very hard, Elven Legacy hard but Ranger expansion was too easy.

On some scenarios I think is better bronze and more experience for troops by clearing the map than gold victory.

Kings Bounty Hunter
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't played Magic expansion yet.
Fantasy Wars was very hard, Elven Legacy hard but Ranger expansion was too easy.

On some scenarios I think is better bronze and more experience for troops by clearing the map than gold victory.

tbh ender, and i have played for quite a few hours now. They have made this expansion very, very difficult. I'm on lvl 4/5 mission using a dwarf Mage and I start with 6 units but the AI has just attacked me, first turn, with about 15 units....I'm thinking of uninstalling.

jman0war
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I've been doing the campaign under the "Easy" setting and have managed mostly Gold victories (although a couple Bronze as well).

But yeah i agree with you, it's a bit too tough.
King's Bounty: Armoured Princess is also tough tho, as you may know. :)

A couple things that annoy me about the AI is that they don't care about the towns.
Enemy units will always vacate their defensive position to attack.
Also, i hate that you really have to work hard to finish-off a unit.
They'll run away and heal up next turn.

I've been trying to keep my soft units in the middle, surrounded by defensive Flame Defenders or whatever they are called.
But you have to keep forward progress going so you'll have to expose some archers or whatever from time to time.
It also seems wise to spread your Artifacts out to different units and try to make sure they get used.

But it might be true that it's best to ignore Gold/Silver/Bronze and go for the added XP by hanging round to kill off enemies.
I don't know if other battles become available if you get all Gold or not.
Like, does the campaign path change depending on your victory status of the last battles? (like Panzer General)

Lord Ludwig
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
It's not really that hard, at least not if you happen to be a seasoned panzer general, fantasy general and people's general player (the games of the late nineties - early 00's which inspired FW and EL).

I always played on hard, mostly going for gold. The original FW was challenging only in the second and third scenario of each campaign plus the mission on ticsus; EL wasn't that bad either (although some times you had to skip a secondary mission to meet gold time limits). Ranger is tricky in the solo missions where you literally are not allowed a single wrong move but not so difficult for the rest. Siege, in my experience, is the hardest of them all, I completed it on hard but had to settle for a couple bronze victories (will retry sooner or later). Magic is easier again, but the first two missions with the dwarven rune mage force you to either bypass most secondary objectives or settle for bronze. The final fight is disappointingly easy if you handle it right. The bonus mission playing as farrakh is instead extremely difficult, while I haven't tried the one as ugraum yet.

mjemirzian
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
It's not as difficult as some console SRPG/TBS I could name.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/04/srpgtbs-101.html
http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/02/most-difficulthardest-andor-competitive.html

I do think it's a decent challenge though. I gave it a positive review.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/05/elven-legacy-solid-legitimately.html

I'm done with ranger and siege and starting on magic. Hard/gold on every mission so far.

malcolmm
02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
It's not really that hard, at least not if you happen to be a seasoned panzer general, fantasy general and people's general player (the games of the late nineties - early 00's which inspired FW and EL).

I always played on hard, mostly going for gold. The original FW was challenging only in the second and third scenario of each campaign plus the mission on ticsus; EL wasn't that bad either (although some times you had to skip a secondary mission to meet gold time limits). Ranger is tricky in the solo missions where you literally are not allowed a single wrong move but not so difficult for the rest. Siege, in my experience, is the hardest of them all, I completed it on hard but had to settle for a couple bronze victories (will retry sooner or later). Magic is easier again, but the first two missions with the dwarven rune mage force you to either bypass most secondary objectives or settle for bronze. The final fight is disappointingly easy if you handle it right. The bonus mission playing as farrakh is instead extremely difficult, while I haven't tried the one as ugraum yet.

I finished most of the Panzer General series, they were tough but not too tough.

Elven Legacy is too difficult for me on normal difficulty. Too bad, because it can be a fun game. I guess I could go down to easy difficulty, but more enjoyable games await. Another poorly balanced game from 1C (I loved the King's Bounty series, but the balance on those games was poor as well). Who are they designing these games for? It's no wonder they aren't that popular.

Elwin
02-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Saying Kings Bounty is not popular is kinda ... wrong. I never found EL being hard, even i havent played any of its predecesors. Requires quite thiniking true .. but thats Stratego game and it is for thinking ;p

malcolmm
02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Elven Legacy isn't as popular as it deserves to be, and I think that is partly due to its reputation as being a very tough game. King's Bounty is popular, but Crossworlds doesn't appear to have done very well, at least on Steam.

I did end up going down to easy level on EL, and I'm back to enjoying it. For me, a problem with the difficulty is that once you start doing poorly, the problems start to compound. If you loose a unit or two, you could be in trouble. In contrast, if you do well in the early campaigns you get access to the bonus missions, they allow you to further strengthen your troops, making the main campaign easier. It is tough to balance a main campaign when you allow the best players to get advantages that further throw off the balance.

malcolmm
02-15-2011, 05:31 AM
I'm now stuck in the last scenario, at easy level. This game has really poor game balance.

The three scenarios before the last, played at easy level, are too easy, and played at normal, are too hard for me. The last scenario is extremely difficult, even at easy.

I've tried to like this game, and as a fan of the Panzer General/Fantasy General series (which were much better balanced), I should really like this game. But I don't. And nor do most reviewers, and the game buying public. After the complaints about Fantasy Wars I would have thought the developers would listen to the complaints about the game difficultly. I was wrong, Elven Legacy is as popular as it deserves to be - not at all popular.

mjemirzian
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm now stuck in the last scenario, at easy level. This game has really poor game balance.

The three scenarios before the last, played at easy level, are too easy, and played at normal, are too hard for me. The last scenario is extremely difficult, even at easy.

I've tried to like this game, and as a fan of the Panzer General/Fantasy General series (which were much better balanced), I should really like this game. But I don't. And nor do most reviewers, and the game buying public. After the complaints about Fantasy Wars I would have thought the developers would listen to the complaints about the game difficultly. I was wrong, Elven Legacy is as popular as it deserves to be - not at all popular.

The game will become more difficult the worse you do, and it sounds like you managed your army poorly. Balance does not equal difficulty. If you played the game Fire Emblem and got most of your main army killed, you're going to find the last few missions to be difficult if not impossible. You were punished for playing poorly and should restart instead of whine and make wrong claims about game balance and difficulty, a subject you obviously know little about.

Elven Legacy is actually a well balanced series of campaigns with a gradual difficulty curve (most of the time), and no particularly overpowered units or abilities.

casio1987
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I finished most of the Panzer General series, they were tough but not too tough.

Elven Legacy is too difficult for me on normal difficulty. Too bad, because it can be a fun game. I guess I could go down to easy difficulty, but more enjoyable games await. Another poorly balanced game from 1C (I loved the King's Bounty series, but the balance on those games was poor as well). Who are they designing these games for? It's no wonder they aren't that popular.

Instead of whining and flaming, get more skills and use your brains to actually understand the game and then try to master it.

I did multiple no-loss impossible playthroughs (warrior, paladin and mage) in KB(:C) and achieved all gold on hard in EL...

Now saying something is imbalanced, because you suck, isn't representive, especially not accusing a company that publishes QUALITY games, compared to the POS from other companies in general!

What makes a good game is about replayability and especially CHALLENGES. A game that is hard, is much more rewarding than an easy game. Hard can be classified as smart AI or less resources than the AI and beat them.

So be honest... imho you are bad in strategy / tactical games. Don't blame others for your mistakes.

1C Company publishes awesome games and becoming popular exponentially. I hope they will take a big piece of the market, due to their quality games and support, just like Paradox Interactive. Those are my two top game publishers.