PDA

View Full Version : Luftwaffe fighters; Offset Gun sights

Matze81
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi guys!

Does anybody know, why the gun sights of German WW2 fighters were offset to the right, back in the days and not centered, like in most Allied fighters?

I can't find an answer to that anywhere!

Igo kyu
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi guys!

Does anybody know, why the gun sights of German WW2 fighters were offset to the right, back in the days and not centered, like in most Allied fighters?

I can't find an answer to that anywhere!
IIRC, it was supposed to be because you aim with one eye. I don't know how much difference it made. Or what happened if you were luftwaffe and it was your left eye that naturally aimed.

KOM.Nausicaa
01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
The sim does not really show how small most of the cockpits were, especially the Bf109. The gunsight was off centered to get a free view forward and to make start and landing easier.

Matze81
01-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your replies guys! Do you have some sources or links where I could read into this subject and where they specifically mention why the sights were offset?

MikkOwl
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
No website, but this thread from two years ago was about the exact same thing, with some pretty good answers.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2573

Basically the reason is thought to be the same as here. No reason to have the gunsight 100% in the middle as it performs just as well with a very slight lean to the right. The left side is a little bit less obstructed which favours flying otherwise. The sight itself is only very slightly offset to begin with.

Matze81
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
MikkOwl, you keep pointing me in the right direction today! (also G940 thread) :grin:
You were kind enough not to complain, but it's obvious I have to be using the freakin' search function more thoroughly! My bad!

So, one more time thanks to KOM.Nausicaa and Igo kyu for answering this old question, again. ;)