PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

JG6_Express
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi all,

I am currently working on a new online war and am looking for individuals who would like to participate. I am using the BADC code developed by JG10r_Dutertre back in 2003. Many of you old timers are familar with the many online war's that followed after "Bellum." The current addition is AW that is being hosted, developed, and operated by the =BY= squad. They have done a great job giving the IL2 community another venue for flying IL2.

The code has been retweeked throughout the years and is stable and has proven to offer those who wish to fly a dynamic online war a means to do so.

With that said, I am looking for individuals who would be willing to help this project move forward. We are in need of individuals who have the experience, skills, and time to help in the following areas.

1. Graphics
We have the website main theme and templates at this point, but will need people who are skilled in this area to revise logos, gifs, bmps, jpgs, etc.

2. Webmasters
Need at least 2 individuals who are skilled in maintaining a website. Need to know phpMyadmin, FTP, etc. The site uses Ravennuke as the CMS and is hosted on a linux server. The need will be for the day to day operational necessities to keep the website functioning and secure. The site is currently up and operational, just needs further development and maintenance as this project move further along.

3. Coders

By this term we are looking for those individuals who have experience with php, MySQL, perl, and others. The bulk of this project is already completed, just need to have people onboard who are well versed in these areas to help keep this project functioning correctly.

War HQ staff

Here we are looking for veteran online war participants who can oversee the design and functioning of the actual online war campaign. These staff need to be able to insure that each campaign is designed and impemented with fairness, balance, and playability. Preferably have individuals who have flown, hosted, or been mission planners in previous online wars.

Moderators

We will have a Forum that is a part of the website. We will be in need of a few individuals who have the personality, skills, and maturity to act as moderators.

We are an international community of men and women who fly in IL2. I would really like to have a diverse group of people on this project. With that said, it will be necessary for all to be able to communicate with English as the primary language. This is by no means meant to offend anyone, it is just a neccessity.

If any of you are interested please email me with a breif description in what area you would like to particpate in along with your timezone and preferred method of contact.

My email address is

express@jagdgeschwader6.com

~S~

SlipBall
01-08-2010, 09:25 PM
A bump for what sounds like a great idea, goodluck finding some good people!

JG6_Express
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Slipball,

The interest in full real dynamic campaigns has maintained a strong following since the early days of VEF.
JG10r_Duterure created the Bellum Wars using his code BADC. Since 2004, there have been other individuals/squads who have hosted BADC styled campaigns in HyperLobby.
Currently the Russian squad =BY= is hosting AW which is very popular.
Having another venue for online wars would give others a chance to particpate in it's creation and give pilots another online dynamic campaign to fly in.
With that said, a project like this needs volunteers. It would take me as a individual way to long to get it to the final stages. I am hoping that there are those in the flight sim community with the above mentioned skills that would like to get in on this project.
~S~

Eries
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Some of the original full real dynamic campaigns/online wars came to an unnatural end due to rampaging cheaters.
Especially now with the proliferation of illegal mods into the community , what steps are you taking to ensure fair and cheat free game play for this new campaign ?

- Eries

13th Hsqn Protos
01-13-2010, 07:21 PM
βΙΝΓΟ!

You should be advertising, server rules settings, minimum netspeed, time limits, crt measures, ect ect ....

The cheating countermeasures suggestion is excellent. Also you may want to look into encouraging mission completion over personal stats.

Good luck. Its a lot of bloody work and very little reward.

JG6_Express
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
When our early anscestors were huddled around a fire and some guy decided to bet his fur cape by tossing some bird bones onto the dirt, there was someone in the group trying to cheat. It hasn't changed nor will it. There will always be those who have to cheat.
Fortunately their numbers are small compared to the huge numbers of honorable squads and pilots.
Having flown with the online community since 1999 to the present, I have had the pleasure to have met pilots/squads from almost every country in the world. Met meaning on voice comm's or thru chat. Men just like ourselves who enjoy a fair and honorable game. I personally believe that the vast numbers of pilots who fly full real dynamic online wars are of the fair and honorable quality.
The fact that IL2 is now coming up to 9 years of age and we still can fill 3 rooms in Hyperlobby at the same time with a "BADC" styled war campaign makes the point that it is still popular.

I agree Protos that it is alot of work with little reward. However, I have had the pleasure of flying in every BADC campaign since the beginning and now want to contribute back. The reward is in the particpation and the opportunity to meet new people who have similar interests in this project. Many hands make the workload less.

Can we ever get it perfect? No. Can we please everyone at all times? No.
But we can put together a fun project that many will get countless hours of enjoyment from. Hopefully there are others with the skills or abilities needed who will hop on board.
That is my hope.

~S~

Eries
01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I personally believe that the vast numbers of pilots who fly full real dynamic online wars are of the fair and honorable quality.

~S~

Your contention is proven incorrect by the facts. It's not an opinion , mine our anyone else's , that cheating resulted in the end of the previous online wars - Its the facts. The facts , are , well , the facts , sad an unfortunate as they may be.
If you contend that a vast " majority " are fair and honorable , then that may be more reasonable.
However , there is a considerable " minority " of active players in online wars that resort to blatant cheating. This is a fact and proven by the previous online campaigns that were brought to an untimely end by unfair play.
I think its important that anyone considering contributing time and energy to your proposed event , be also educated on the risk that thier good work may be destroyed by cheating.
If your singular anti-cheating measure is " trust" , then the result will be the same as we've seen before. Any competition will be rendered invalid by a minorty of untrustworthy participants.

Sorry , i was initially interested , but now it seems any investment in this event will not yield acceptable results.

- Eries

JG6_Express
01-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Anyone who is involved with the WOG project, please contact me. I would like to discuss some options with you.

~S~

JG6_Express
02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Several individuals have joined the effort but we are still in need of a few people to help with Perl, php, MySQL. The code/program has already been created/developed, we just need individuals to help with it's maintenance and a little tweeking. If you are familar with any of these and are willing to help out, contact me either here or at HyperLobby.

~S~

Erkki
02-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Never seen a guy with "Eries" in his name playing any online war. And I've played them all from VOWI and VEF/VWF to AFWIIa. Very little cheating in them, and the few individuals are widely known. Eries, perhaps you are remembering the infamous squad with 4 capitalized letters that we havent seen for a looong while?

Good idea from Express btw, original Bellum War with Czechwar and Europe in Flames were the three best wars imo, despite lackng features such as reconnassaince and naval supply(which may always be added).

EDIT: they never stopped because of cheating, but because a new war with more fancy things, argues between the people behind them and once simply frustration on the spammed whine to the admins at forums, HL and email(and there too, just a few individuals that everyone that was there must still remember).

13th Hsqn Protos
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
S~!

You clearly don't know what your talking about.

Online war cheating is RAMPANT.

Its incredibly easy to do ...... Lack of proper game files checks, HORRIBLE netcode server side settings, human mission reporting, device link issues and a truckload of other problems make policing a BADC style online war pretty much impossible at this stage .....

By the way VEF series of wars were best ..... they even had their own lobby client at one point in VEF II I believe.

Erkki
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I know that you never play the game either, Protos. ;)

Actually, have never played either.

Sure, its always possible to use the log reading exploit, but IF someone really uses it, how many missions do you think it will take before the guy always finding the recce ju88 150km from the frontline is banned(as soon as someone understands to record the mission, and theres always someone recording every single one of them)? Besides, there are ways to go around getting exploited against too. ;)

13th Hsqn Protos
02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
You have to take your meds EVERY day ..... :rolleyes:

Erkki
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Perhaps you? You have to be able to do better than insults, as someone who spends more time on forums than HL and IL2 combined you should know that.

Also... If I dont remember all wrong you were yourself banned from the only online war you ever took part to.

Eries
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Erkki ,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your first hand reports of your experiences are whats important to those having a look at this , regardless of your opinions on the cheating.
You are correct , my observatins are not based on my personal experiences , but with aquaintances who experienced it first hand.
Those reading these forums also can remember my posts regarding available cheats that were posted on very popular forum for a club which I am a member of the network team.....in that case it was first hand .....
We banned the offender of course.....but damage was done

JG6_Express
02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Fellas,

Everyone has their own feelings and opinions about flying in an online war. I respect that. This thread however is for those who do enjoy flying in an online war and wish to volunteer some of their time and expertise. If you do not like online wars that is Ok but please start your own thread.
This thread is solely for looking for those individuals who are interested in participating in a new BADC project.
Our graphics and website men say they can use another hand or two so there will always be someone available.

Many hands make light work.
~S~