PDA

View Full Version : Why does everything change when I don't change anything?

Jack the Smack
01-03-2010, 02:55 AM
So as a test, I made my mod folder. Then I copied the multiplayer set files extracted from the Men of War game.pak file without editing them, and now the options in multiplayer for army sizes is all messed up and cannot select some of them. Am I doing something wrong?

Dietepiet
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I never had your problem, but it might be something like this:

You might have a patch installed that overwrites some of the multiplayer set files. If I remember correctly, patches add an extra .pak file in the Men of War folder which overwrite some files in the other .pak files. When placing the older files from Game.pak in your modding folder, they again overwrite the patch files undoing the patch, the patch will no longer work.

Just an idea, I have no patches installed currently so I can't check this for you.

Jack the Smack
01-04-2010, 02:17 AM
I never had your problem, but it might be something like this:

You might have a patch installed that overwrites some of the multiplayer set files. If I remember correctly, patches add an extra .pak file in the Men of War folder which overwrite some files in the other .pak files. When placing the older files from Game.pak in your modding folder, they again overwrite the patch files undoing the patch, the patch will no longer work.

Just an idea, I have no patches installed currently so I can't check this for you.

Thanks.

Also, why doesn't the payback option give money back? I see the darker green bar growing but i never get all my money back.

CTS
01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I am not an expert on the subject, and i can not answer to your question regarding the "payback", but here is a tip:

- Do not copy/use files that you are not editing.

F.ex.: You want an MG42 to have a 1500 rounds in its mag. Don't copy the whole "mgun" folder to your mod, if you do not plan to modify all of the files - take only files related to MG42. If you unpack the whole "game.pak" - your mod will be messy, and very soon you will not be able to remember what files are modified and what are original... Keep it as clean as possible. And it will help keeping the mod-size small.

most of the mods out there are a total mess imo, i have no idea why so many files had to be copied from the original game. It will conflict with other mods as well, if you want to use more then one...

I personally try to make my own files when i can. It helps to eliminate conflicts with other mods, and original game. F.Ex.: When a frag grenade explodes - the game is searching for a file called ex_grenade_sm that is showing smoke, fire and such, i would make a new file called ex_grenade_sm2 and make changes in it to make flames bigger or something, instead of messing with the original. But it is of cause also necessary to edit reference in the grenade related files, pointing to ex_grenade_sm2 instead of original. It is not always possible, but its the best way imo... Same goes for new units and such.

Well, its not really an answer to your question in any way, but i hope it will give you a general overview on how all this modding thing works for me at least. Sorry for a long not-to-the-point post, but i am sitting at work and have nothing to do right now hehe...