PDA

View Full Version : Sound Engine For SOW

diveplane
12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
having read and seen tons of data on the graphics i would like oleg to maybe give us all a taste of the sound engine that will come with SOW?

i really hope its a major improvement over the old il2 sounds, where imo very poor indeed.

good news is we have better hardware today to capture and playback audio with examples being the splendid x-fi audio cards with HD effects.

trick is to try capture and code in the doppler shift effect of distant props in the external and flyby in game.

rather than a dull drone flypast audio looped sample.

looped samples are fine for camera externals .

for flybys and distant we need somthing special. thats where hopefully hd effects come in , and some good coding on the audio side of things.

anyway heres a real clip of some fine war birds. note the beautiful engine tones. this is what we want to hear in SOW.

link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYLyrEsTZ60

anyway keep up the great work dev team , fingers crossed on a early 2010 launch on SOW.

Lucas_From_Hell
12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
There's a difference between IN-cockpit and EXTERNAL sounds.

Some people forget that in airshows the sound you get is anything but close to the sound the pilot is listening to.

diveplane
12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
There's a difference between IN-cockpit and EXTERNAL sounds.

Some people forget that in airshows the sound you get is anything but close to the sound the pilot is listening to.

not hard to capture audio, its implementing it into the sim thats the hard part and the external doppler effect into a game. this is the hard part

flyby effect and external engine whine.

only way really to do this is a recorded sample flyby for each model
it could be done . maybe some trickery with hd audio to get the distant doppler effect as well. but this is creating audio parameters in the engine ..

Lucas_From_Hell
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I think the easiest way would be record a separate file for the in-cockpit sounds. It can't go wrong.

IceFire
12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Great video... very good capture of the audio of those two planes. I've had the great amount of fun to see a Spitfire IX and Bf109E fly in formation past me at an airshow and the sound alone is spectacular. That Bf109G has even more whine to it than the E model I think.

Implementing that into the sim will be hard. But I do hope that the sounds are more sounding like their real life counterparts than in past iterations. Hard because not every engine or plane is still flying to do the audio capture and I'm not sure if Oleg's team doesn't get a chance to get out and do a full sound capture to even try. But a better more authentic attempt would be great... let us hope so.

Lucas_From_Hell
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't think it's much of a problem for TFC and other groups that handle such aircraft to just put a microphone inside the plane's cockpit during a routine flight, start-up and etc.

diveplane
12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't think it's much of a problem for TFC and other groups that handle such aircraft to just put a microphone inside the plane's cockpit during a routine flight, start-up and etc.

inside cockpits is the easy part. its the externals thats the hard part.

6S.Manu
01-01-2010, 08:30 AM
In-cockpit sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUTFi3cN00

For SoW I think the doppler effect "IN-COCKPIT" is a must (no more engine radar...)

KG26_Alpha
01-01-2010, 02:31 PM
having read and seen tons of data on the graphics i would like oleg to maybe give us all a taste of the sound engine that will come with SOW?

i really hope its a major improvement over the old il2 sounds, where imo very poor indeed.

good news is we have better hardware today to capture and playback audio with examples being the splendid x-fi audio cards with HD effects.

You should remember the sound engine back then was very advanced for its time, the reason the easy way out for sound wasn't implemented by using samples was to keep online security for anti cheating, the sound engine was updated from time to time to keep the online community from hackers using sound cheats. Onboard sound was also poor back then and Soundcards were the optimum way for getting the best sound out of IL2.

Im sure that SoW will have Secure sound management, and with the better onboard sound that's around now there will be less complaints.

MOH_Hirth
01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
My ideia would a channel sound for a "Fly by view" sound, we have a "Fly by view" buton, so when you see the pass plane you will have this sound, i dont know how better than we have, but worth try this for SOW.

diveplane
01-01-2010, 10:27 PM
You should remember the sound engine back then was very advanced for its time, the reason the easy way out for sound wasn't implemented by using samples was to keep online security for anti cheating, the sound engine was updated from time to time to keep the online community from hackers using sound cheats. Onboard sound was also poor back then and Soundcards were the optimum way for getting the best sound out of IL2.

Im sure that SoW will have Secure sound management, and with the better onboard sound that's around now there will be less complaints.

am talking about external tones... in how to capture them ingame to a realistic standard.

diveplane
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
My ideia would a channel sound for a "Fly by view" sound, we have a "Fly by view" buton, so when you see the pass plane you will have this sound, i dont know how better than we have, but worth try this for SOW.

thats what i mean when you key stroke a flyby view it should play in timing with the camera a audio flyby sample.
only effective way really. trying to emulate it with code parameters i think wont work as effective.

many dev companies fail in good audio , having great graphics , sadly leave the audio to the last min.

Eldur
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM

The Il-2 Sound Engine is great. The Problem is rather the lack of different engine sounds. Actually I prefer the original Sound over the mods Sound by a very big margin. Just because it IS better, even with lots of planes having the same sound.

SlipBall
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
If you watch the bonus DVD, the team can be seen collecting sound's from aircraft...I'm certain that SOW sounds will be steller, if only because of FB sound's poor reception by most, and Oleg's resolve to get it right for those that were unsatisfied

diveplane
01-02-2010, 07:32 AM
If you watch the bonus DVD, the team can be seen collecting sound's from aircraft...I'm certain that SOW sounds will be steller, if only because of FB sound's poor reception by most, and Oleg's resolve to get it right for those that were unsatisfied

see if the upload a video of the audio engine in action?

kimosabi
01-02-2010, 09:10 AM
UltraPack 2 does a damn good job at making the sounds more realistic IMO. The in-game 109 sounds pretty similar to the one in that vid. You also have the difference between cockpit and external sounds.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
EDIT: wring board. sorry