PDA

View Full Version : Your ideas for the next KB... (spoilers)

Metroplex
12-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I believe this game was way better than legend and I hope that the devs will make another one sometime later on, so in the meantime, what do you think the plot for this new game should be?
At the end of the sequel the King wants to marry her off asap so it is unlikely she will return, and as Bill Gilbert said he wanted to retire, that rules him out of returning so... maybe the next game should be about Princess Amelie's son (or daughter) adventures and some some artifact like the rage box or the dragon (s)he gets to use.
There are new worlds to explore, for instance it would be very challenging to include a fully developed Dragon's continent, not the pitifully small Ultrax with just two or three dragons to fight.
Ideas please.

blueshrike
12-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Personally, I think this storyline is played through. I think for KB 2 they ought to conceive of a new one set in a completely different land. Some other threat, even if it ties in with this mythology like the ... *spoiler* ... giant turtle.

They come up with new classes - something like a shaman / witchdoctor, monk, or even sci-fi like gadgeteer, tech, etc. Classes that play differently. New creatures, travel options, etc. Maybe even space travel (but now I'm hoping).

lauvhk
12-31-2009, 04:45 AM
1. In terms of world design, it might be a matter of taste but I do not think AP is better than TL. Almost everywhere is an island with the exception of the land connection between Montero and Verona. And then every island/continent is almost the same, just one big landmass in the middle without any spinoff.

2. Multiple starting areas with different setup and different story lines. Need I say more?

3. The companion/armor bearer system can be improved. Most of them - both in AP and TL - are rather passively involved in the battlefield with the exception of Agvares. For example, a ranger/trapper companion can lay traps and call nature (yes I would advocate moving these features to the companion instead of piling up on the hero for larger differentiation) or a commander companion that could encircle the enemy at the start of the fight, split/combine armies at will and make coordinated attack/defense to improve overall power.

4. Reworks the medal, especially those that involve certain units, like Archmage or those dealing Fire/Poison Damage. Or design medals based on unit types and enhance the specific units ability - say I could improve the excavating abilities by frequently using pirate/sea dog.

Zhuangzi
12-31-2009, 09:49 AM
I like these games a great deal, but there are a couple of things I would love to see:

- The ability to sell units, and variable unit prices at different shops. That might give me the motivation to use a different unit if I could get it cheap.

- A search page where I could see what units are available where (only those shops I've visited would be unlocked). This worked well in Space Rangers 2.

- Multiplayer, even hotseat would be a start.

- Consistently excellent world design. I was pretty pleased with the locations in AP, but still, some are better put together than others. Debir was good and Verona excellent, but a few islands just seemed like filler. Nameless and Shettera spring to mind. The quality of the continents was variable in TL too. I thought Darion was fantastic all around, but Kordar was really boring and grinding.

- Then just more of everything. More items, more spells, more units. MORE! :cool:

Kings Bounty Hunter
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
1)Multi player is a must in this day and age. As there isn't one I guess this would be difficult to implement?
2) Base the next game around the half dragon/half human boy Farmir from KBTL but I already said this on another thread :)
3) At some point they should open it up so you can travel between worlds, not just continents and make the game massive like Final Fantasy7/8 etc

DGDobrev
01-01-2010, 10:31 AM
1) Well, since the King wants to marry her, she must find a suitable husband. In this case why not make a third game in which you need to deal with a few contenders for the hand of the princess?

2) A few new classes will be nice and will add replayability. Classes can be reworked to suit each race (many different contestants for the princess' hand) - humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, undead, dragons, demons - everything goes. Wanna be the vampire husband of amelie? Wanna give your dragon heart to her (we saw that in KBTL)? Wanna be the demon incubus who will possess her till the end of her days?

A lot of things can do well here, and all of the contenders will be unique - Human Champion, Noble Elven Ranger, Demon Incubus (like Agvares, he is an incubus), Undead Vampire, Orcish Chieftain, Rich Dwarven Foreman, Young Dragon, ready to commit to someone.

Although I would feel sorry for poor amelie if she gets a stinky hairy drunkard dwarf for husband... At least the kingdom treasury will be full all of the time :P

jake21
01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't think multi-player is appropriate or requirement for a game like this - I like the new tweaks in this game (mechanical changes) but I greatly prefer to cohesiveness of the first game as well as the maps. I'm a bit mixed about rage vs dragon but I think I prefer rage. Also resurrection could use a bit of tweaking relative to time back.

Having made those comments I would like to see a new game that has more puzzles and larger maps (similar to the first game). I would like tweaks to mark 'future' requests that might be broken if you go some place too soon (like kill an aggressive hero).

I think having too many widgest dilutes the impact of some aspects of the game and while this game probably did not go overboard it was pretty close; so if new features (spells, skills) are added to the next version then perhaps some of the older ones should be removed to prevent dilution.

Anyways these are some vague reflections of what I would hope from a third game without too many specifics. Oh and it would be nice if they could sequeeze in an editor and space ranger 3 with the package :)

Newbie1234
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
- Much more initial army customization. We should be able to choose if we want to start with Undead, Demon, Dwarf, etc.

- Less reliance on Paladins and Inquisitors for doing all the reviving. There should be more spells, skills, and talents that can help with reviving everything efficiently for all classes. That, or make it less annoying to constantly go back and restock units. I also recall someone stated the idea of being able to carry a much larger army and being able to pick which units to fight with prior to the battle (such as during tactics phase).

- Better map that keeps tracks of quest locations. It's often annoying to wander around trying to remember where to finish the quest. I believe WoW has really improved in this regard.

- Better Inventory interface. The current one requires too much scrolling, is poorly organized, and is cumbersome to use.

- Less reliance on only text to progress the story. Some more pictures and audio dialogue would help so much in making things more interesting.

- More content obviously! Units, spells, etc.

- Some extra modes besides just the main campaign. Like challenges, mini campaigns, mini games, etc.

DGDobrev
01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
We can think about a plot as well. Looking at the posts (including parts of my own), we seem to be stuck in the wishing well :)

Metroplex
01-01-2010, 11:30 PM
The devs can take a page out of Titan Quest and improve it by adding spoken dialogue, items that can be combined to form one super item that grants something extra to the hero, as for plot why not go back to ancient Greece and the hero can help the many Greek gods defeat the titans and their armies... something different.

Metroplex
01-08-2010, 07:35 AM
You guys either have no imagination or just plain don't wan't another KB game made!

joasoz
01-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I would like for them to focus on moddability, map generators and such in the next iteration. That way they can make Kings Bounty: The Grandarian War as a full price game, and then some great addons with new campaigns and such for just a few bucks each. And the modding community can make new stuff as well. Everyone wins.

Urbz
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I would like for them to focus on moddability, map generators and such in the next iteration. That way they can make Kings Bounty: The Grandarian War as a full price game, and then some great addons with new campaigns and such for just a few bucks each. And the modding community can make new stuff as well. Everyone wins.

It looks like they're already workig on this with the bonus content coming out for KB:AP in awhile, good stuff :)

pavned
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Personnally, I'd love to be able to purchase a castle in one of the "race land". I don't want something like HOMM but a softer version of management of ressources.

Having a castle on that specific land, you could benefit from the specific of that race, being able to add units of that race freely at your castle (the spawning of the units would need to be address). But, you could also get items specific to that race and the items generate will depend of where your castle is:

-Dwarf, no magic but able to get cheap high level items
-Human, blend of magic scroll and items at average price
-Eleves, low price great magic scroll but high price for item.

This way you could have access to set items, by creating them even if it cost a lot. Plus having a castle could help to put reserve troops.

This is what I'd love to see. You could be able to finish the game without it but it could add to the fun.

DGDobrev
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I quite like that idea :)

Right now, in KBAP, money is a thing to stockpile or waste on runes or crystals. Still, with neatness lvl 3, you can buy any lvl 1-5 item and break it up. Keeping in mind that a rune costs 100k upwards, getting an item for 50k and breaking it for 2 runes is quite a bargain, isn't it? The same is with crystals. Why giving 10k upwards for a crystal when you can buy an item that costs 20k, break it, and get 5 of those?

Being able to purchase titles (that would increase the leadership value of a hero), castles (with race-specific units as you say), being able to smith items at a serious price (as you said) will greatly add to the game's content and will bring it even closer to perfection. There is no fun in finishing the game with something like 3 million gold on impossible and wondering why did you go to so much trouble to pile up something you will hardly use.

EDIT: That actually works pretty well with the basic idea I had. If the next KB will be about getting a decent hero to marry Amelie, what better hero than someone with an imposing title, a few castles and a big treasury? Now that hero will be quite a catch even in King mark's eyes :)

pavned
01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I quite like that idea :)

EDIT: That actually works pretty well with the basic idea I had. If the next KB will be about getting a decent hero to marry Amelie, what better hero than someone with an imposing title, a few castles and a big treasury? Now that hero will be quite a catch even in King mark's eyes :)

I got to admit I tought about that while posting my comments :)

As for units, instead of the Castles creating or spawning the units out of nowhere, you should be responsible to garrison it. Let me explain, you buy a castle, but you shouldn't get units right away. You'll have to put units to defend it, any units. The trick here is that base on your leadership, with bonus coming from possible structure you'd be able to build in your castle and bonus coming from your title, your castle would attract followers. It's those followers, that will eventually enlarge the army base at your castle, but only the race specific units corresponding to the land your castle is. This mean, if you get a castle on elves occupied land and decide to garrison a stack of hunters, a stack of druids, a stack of paladin and a stack of horseman in it, only the stack of druid and hunters would be available for purchase. The purchase price of units should at start be comparable with what is available in stores but as time goes and with addition of add-on to your castle you should get them at lower price

Plus, I don't think animals and other animal like creatures should be available in castle except if can get a companion to take charge of your castle that can train those units.

DGDobrev
01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I got to admit I tought about that while posting my comments :)

As for units, instead of the Castles creating or spawning the units out of nowhere, you should be responsible to garrison it. Let me explain, you buy a castle, but you shouldn't get units right away. You'll have to put units to defend it, any units. The trick here is that base on your leadership, with bonus coming from possible structure you'd be able to build in your castle and bonus coming from your title, your castle would attract followers. It's those followers, that will eventually enlarge the army base at your castle, but only the race specific units corresponding to the land your castle is. This mean, if you get a castle on elves occupied land and decide to garrison a stack of hunters, a stack of druids, a stack of paladin and a stack of horseman in it, only the stack of druid and hunters would be available for purchase. The purchase price of units should at start be comparable with what is available in stores but as time goes and with addition of add-on to your castle you should get them at lower price

Plus, I don't think animals and other animal like creatures should be available in castle except if can get a companion to take charge of your castle that can train those units.

Hmmm. Interesting idea, but building up your castle is kind of dipping even further into the HOMM realm. I, for one, would be completely happy with it, though. I like building... However, since the game would need some quests, why not doing it another way? Do quests for structures - help the dwarves, they build up something (like a foundry for cannoneers). Help the elves, they build up something of your choice (like druid house), and so on. This way you will be able to modify the units to your playthrough, rather than having to hope for divine intervention to find a few paladins or black knights, for example. Since in KBTL and KBAP the hero is usually a keeper of the balance and tries to help everyone he/she sees, I doubt the multitude of races and their leaders would disagree that much.

The thing is, late 3DO/New World Computing already implemented that idea in Might and Magic VII, but not to such extent, and it can be a good basis for something new.

As for my original idea, there it is :)
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=132573&postcount=6

pavned
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Hmmm. Interesting idea, but building up your castle is kind of dipping even further into the HOMM realm. I, for one, would be completely happy with it, though. I like building... However, since the game would need some quests, why not doing it another way? Do quests for structures - help the dwarves, they build up something (like a foundry for cannoneers). Help the elves, they build up something of your choice (like druid house), and so on. This way you will be able to modify the units to your playthrough, rather than having to hope for divine intervention to find a few paladins or black knights, for example. Since in KBTL and KBAP the hero is usually a keeper of the balance and tries to help everyone he/she sees, I doubt the multitude of races and their leaders would disagree that much.

The thing is, late 3DO/New World Computing already implemented that idea in Might and Magic VII, but not to such extent, and it can be a good basis for something new.

As for my original idea, there it is :)
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=132573&postcount=6

Sounds interesting, but more I think of it, more I think it needs to be kept really simple, a freshly bought castle should provide basic units for each specific race, up to level 3, for human you get peasant, archer, swordman and priest. Then you should be available to buy structures enabling you to upgrade the units available. A simple system enabling you to build 2 or 3 upgrades, like a building upgrading the priest to inquisitors and guardman to swordman. Then 1 last upgrade, really interesting, going from swordman to knight (or horseman) or combining your inquisitor training facility and your swordman training facility to get the paladin. Meaning you get either knights (or Horsemen) and Inquisitors as your ultimate units or just the paladin. That’s pretty much straightforward and involve only cash.

I agree with the Castle’s related side-quest or mini-campaign. Could be interesting to mix the races but in a way that still only race specific units can be available. Maybe something like the addition of an elves building in your humanland-based Castle would enable you to recruit ArchMages. Same for the elves, human building would enables the recruitment of druids. But I think the side-quest related to Castle should target the dynamic for items creation or scrolls creation.

Finally I do think that the follower concept should be kept, meaning that the available stock of units should be a function of your leadership and possible titles you get and even decision-related, meaning you’d been mean to the dwarf, but you buy your castle on dwarf land, you don’t get to grow the available stock of units as fast. At some point, if you get enough leadership and got the right titles you should have “horde” status for each stock of units available at your castles.
Since it would fit well for a “find a husband for amelie” campaign, I doubt you’d be able to get female companion, so a castle-steward could fill that void. The main point is that it needs to be kept simple. No resources management, only money.