PDA

View Full Version : Friday 2009-12-25 Screenshots AND Discussion Thread

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Please don't post here before I'll finish update.

Novotny
12-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Some superb modelling on that Olga!

Merry Christmas, and thank you very much for the update.

Reisman
12-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I know what this thread will be all about, nerds! :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

SlipBall
12-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Some superb modelling on that Olga!

Merry Christmas, and thank you very much for the update.

+1...I suppose some would consider the cigs as damage model for Olga, but I enjoy a good smoke aswell

Oleg the ground units are just great looking! Will the passing of a large number of units degrade their path. Just wondering if mud will be modeled with increased use of a route?

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 12:46 PM
+1...I suppose some would consider the cigs as damage model for Olga, but I enjoy a good smoke aswell

Oleg the ground units are just great looking! Will the passing of a large number of units degrade their path. Just wondering if mud will be modeled with increased use of a route?

Ifnto speak about grass - yes, they dmage the grass, but some time later it is "selfreparing".

Degradation of FPS is a rule due increasing amount of all units and their AI. So... you may put there increadible amount of cars in the field with damaging grass, but you will get some degradaiotn of FPS flying near it. At altitude this degradation will be decreasing
Its normal. Probably grass damage will be switchable On/Off

mud on the wheels. At the moment we don't plan it. Maybe later in add-ons.
In BoB period I think most of vechiles used roads.... And tanks were mostly trasporting instead of moving themselves.

zakkandrachoff
12-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Very nice!. Nice Bf 110 cockpit! i gonna passs one entire life there.

That 3d engine rflection is for Mustang P51D, Migs15 and F-86?. Because that planes have some much reflections (& not camouflage)

whit the cockpit glass broken, we gonna hear more wind sound that before?

Nicce upload Oleg, Well Done.! & Happy Xmas for the Team!

And nice Olga. Beautiful. Be carefoul Oleg, Blonde are very dangerous some times;)

PVT.Roger
12-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Looking good Oleg!

Merry Christmas to you and the team!

PR

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 01:24 PM
whit the cockpit glass broken, we gonna hear more wind sound that before?

I would like to get it also myself.

zapatista
12-25-2009, 01:43 PM
hi Oleg,

thanks for the update, the ground vehicles are looking very good !

minor Q: when the glass breaks, is the glass pieces falling inside and outside the cockpit, or only on/off normal glass / broken glass window ?

please tell olga to stop smoking immediately, she is to beautiful to waste her life and die early :)

ps: the city map she is working on looks very detailed, look forward to seeing more info on it and how damage by bombing etc will affect the aerial maps we see of towns/cities

JtD
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the Christmas update!

DJB
12-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you very much for this update, and Merry Christmas for you, your family and all the team...

genbrien
12-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks Oleg that you took some time to show those great pics:)

Concerning ground cars/tanks/bus, now that we'll have some curved road, will they turn like some real cars ? I mean, will we see front wheels turn left and right? Will they turn doing an curved arc, not like they were doing in IL2 ?

Flanker35M
12-25-2009, 02:13 PM
S!

Nice update. Have good holidays Oleg & Team.

Baron
12-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Thx Oleg. More and more details showing the depth of the game.

I like it.

Now, take the rest of the year of and enjoy yourselfe.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

McHilt
12-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Very nice glassdamage indeed
and I DO like that silverbird feature as well!!!!

I noticed some purple spots in that last pic of the stuka's glassdamage
is spring in the air? :rolleyes:

Thanks again and I wish you all a happy Christmas and a very happy 2010!

Regards

Alien
12-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Merry Christmas and happy new (hopely release) year!!!

My question for today:
Will pain be feelable in pilots' voice after getting hit?

And a tip for speechmaker:
Poles knew english and spoke it but with polish accent.

Tbag
12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Poor Santa, by the looks of it he's going to get it!

Thanks for the Update and Merry Christmas everyone!

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks Oleg that you took some time to show those great pics:)

Concerning ground cars/tanks/bus, now that we'll have some curved road, will they turn like some real cars ? I mean, will we see front wheels turn left and right? Will they turn doing an curved arc, not like they were doing in IL2 ?

Yes

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Very nice glassdamage indeed
and I DO like that silverbird feature as well!!!!

I noticed some purple spots in that last pic of the stuka's glassdamage
is spring in the air? :rolleyes:

Thanks again and I wish you all a happy Christmas and a very happy 2010!

Regards

red color is light from a special source for the night flight.

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 04:45 PM

My question for today:

Ilya has a lot of ideas for this thing, however I don't think that all things will go with the release.
But in principle all things is possible

Insuber
12-25-2009, 05:17 PM

My question for today:

That would be nice indeed, but from many books, including the one by John Kent, who led the No. 303 ("Kościuszko") Polish Fighter Squadron during the BoB, very few of the Poles knew English, not to speak about the RAF jargon. This didn't prevent them to be the best scoring Allied fighting Squadron of RAF during the Battle.

Regards,
Insuber

Insuber
12-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Oleg,

Very nice screenshots. Thank you, keep on the good work ! The bullet damage in the metal skin of the Stuka look still quite rough, I hope it is WIP. On the contrary the perspex holes look very realistic.

Regards,
Ins

Tbag
12-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Poor Santa, by the looks of it he's going to get it!

Thanks for the Update and Merry Christmas everyone!

Bobby109
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
hmm what am i doing wrong? where is the screenshots thread??

nevermind, it was in the news thread...silly me lol

Viking
12-25-2009, 06:03 PM
For the uppdate and a restfull vacation to you all!

Regards

Viking

PS! Is Olga flying"offline" or do she have a team?

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Oleg,

Very nice screenshots. Thank you, keep on the good work ! The bullet damage in the metal skin of the Stuka look still quite rough, I hope it is WIP. On the contrary the perspex holes look very realistic.

Regards,
Ins

pics of bullets holes has at the moment incorrect pallete. But these holes of bullets are real places of hits :)
Yes, the color will be other.

genbrien
12-25-2009, 06:29 PM
pics of bullets holes has at the moment incorrect pallete. But these holes of bullets are real places of hits :)
Yes, the color will be other.

nice, and are the holes bigger or smaller depending of the bullet calliber ?

Also, will there be a difference in the hole if you take a direct impact( ex: flack), than a bullet just hitting you, let say, at 10 degrees ?(ex: top of wing hit by a bullet from a plane 500m behind):grin:

Oleg Maddox
12-25-2009, 06:46 PM
than a bullet just hitting you, let say, at 10 degrees ?(ex: top of wing hit by a bullet from a plane 500m behind):grin:

don't think so. I didn't make such task for the programmer myself :)

genbrien
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
don't think so. I didn't make such task for the programmer myself :)

I understand perfectly ;)

But is this something that your SoW's engine could be able to do eventually ?:confused:

I/ZG52_Gaga
12-25-2009, 07:19 PM
BF110 Cockpits is really something to wait for!

Briliant work!

Best wishes for a productive & healthy 2010

Necrobaron
12-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Fantastic update and one I wasn't expecting! The perspex glass damage effects look very nice, the bare metal effects look spot on (perfect for American birds later in the war), the Bf-110 cockpit looks great and Olga looks best of all!

Merry Christmas to Oleg, Ilya, Olga and all the people of Maddox Games!;)
________
Szr660 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_SZR660)

NSU
12-25-2009, 07:38 PM
i love the glass damage and Olga too :-)

rakinroll
12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
To my love Olga!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPaKOtZTug

proton45
12-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks and Merry X-Mass...

Abbeville-Boy
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
thanks for update, damage looks lifelike, can't wait!

FoolTrottel
12-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Merry Christmas Oleg!

On the Spit pics, below right, we can see some texts, top one reads: "DMG:Eng0Plug10Failure"

Could it be sparkplug malfunction will be modelled, for each and every single plug in an engine?
(If so, FT = Flabbergasted)

Skoshi Tiger
12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Thankyou for the update, and all the hard work throughout the year.

Hey, I thought you said there wouldn't be any animal to shoot in the sim!!!!!!

http://files.games.1c.ru/il2pict/VVV-SoW_BoB-07_06.jpg

;)

Merry Christmas One and All!

Zorin
12-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Great update!

Love the Bf 110 cockpit, though I found two typos, apart from some missing Umlauts.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/ZorinW/typos.jpg

My 110ths post on a Bf 110 issue, funny ;)

IV/JG7_4Shades
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks Oleg, best wishes to all the dev team!

AdMan
12-26-2009, 12:06 AM
now that's what I'm talkin 'bout, great update.

I really like the texture on the gun sight pad, not too cracked/weathered but it is still interesting to look at, the stitching detail is awesome and the sheen gives a perfect appearance of new supple leather, good artistry. :cool:

The damaged glass is beyond my expectations, looks sharp!

Nice to see reflective textures being experimented with, no matter how historically accurate it may or may not be for BoB, it will be a desired feature in the future

Pete Brothers
12-26-2009, 08:59 AM
thanks for the update...

Best wishes for the next year to all the dev team.

Foo'bar
12-26-2009, 11:52 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2186/pressure.jpg

Yet we don't know what term is the right one, but "Preßure" is definitely wrong ;)

edit1: It has to be "Preßluft"

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4154/kmhz.jpg

I doubt that there was "km/St" standing and I've never seen it before. Rather "km/h" for "Kilometer pro Stunde (Kilometers per hour)" in both cases is right.

edit2: after some discussion in german community I have to agree that there were both variations on the same dashboard. Weird but true.

edit3: I would highly recommend to use "DIN 1451 Fette Engschrift" and "DIN 1451 Fette Mittelschrift" for descriptions on the tin plates. Both fonts I have uploaded to your FTP server some weeks ago.

Skarphol
12-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Foo'bar has the eyes of an eagle! I'm impressed!

Skarphol

Lucas_From_Hell
12-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Good eye, Foo'bar.

Even if it's not right, "Preßure" sounds alright to me, considering it's pronounced somewhat like "Pressure" (might be wrong, only spent two weeks in Germany, so I couldn't catch much, anyway...)

Not sure about the spelling, however...

Zorin
12-26-2009, 01:08 PM
How about you lot check the last page where I already pointed out those mistakes and gave the correct spelling?

Btw, km/St and km/h is correct like that.

Eldur
12-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Just awesome!

Love the 110 interior!

+1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Skarphol
12-26-2009, 02:12 PM
OK, Zorin, you are also member of the Eagle-eye club!

Skarphol

1.JaVA_Toga
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
SOW or OLGA?

Both are verry nice. Love the reflections on the canapies ;-)

Lucas_From_Hell
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Amazing as usual, excellent screenshots!

By the way, I think you've just found the formula against moaning about grass colours, the height of the grass and the position of the zipper of the upper-left pocket in the RAF flight jacket - just insert a picture of a woman around them and that's it :-P

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-27-2009, 02:48 AM
I was wondering what SOW would use for sound direct X or open AL?

Foo'bar
12-27-2009, 10:32 AM
How about you lot check the last page where I already pointed out those mistakes and gave the correct spelling?

Btw, km/St and km/h is correct like that.

Oh sorry mate, somehow I must have missed your post :bag:

Doppelt hält besser :D

Funny how equal our images are ;)

WWSandMan
12-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the update, Oleg. Merry Christmas to you and the staff at 1C:MG! :)

That natural metal skinning process sure does look nice. Perhaps not much use for it in BoB (unless you plan to model each aircraft's layers of paint over it's natural metal surface) but the implications for future use are welcome.

Rodolphe
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Which city does Olga Google Map ? ;)

http://files.games.1c.ru/il2pict/IMG_0618.jpg

Zorin
12-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd say she is tracing roads with the help of Google maps, as she is working in Photoshop. Though that would be rather pointless in my opinion as most cities have completely changed shape, size and especially road systems since back in the 1930s.

Old city maps would be the best choice, together with autoroute maps. Both can be found on the net. Also recon photos can be used for comparison. At least that is how most serious map builders for IL-2 work.

Zorin
12-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh sorry mate, somehow I must have missed your post :bag:

Doppelt hält besser :D

Funny how equal our images are ;)

Genau :D

Now lets just hope they will actually correct them.

Maybe they should make a set of shots of each pit so the natives could check for spelling errors?

jocko417
12-28-2009, 04:51 AM
I think I've found one, this instrument is in both the Spitfire and the Hurricane:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/jocko417/hurri.jpg

In the center of the Turn and Slip face it should say 'AM' below the crown, not 'AN'. 'AM' stands for 'Air Ministry' and this type of marking is found on everything from aircraft instruments to flying gloves, there were different styles but usually appeared in the form of 'A <crown> M'

Here it is on the placard from a late war radio management box:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/jocko417/rad2.jpg

Friendly_flyer
12-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Thank you for that unexpected Christmas gift, Oleg!

The metal Spitfire looks stunning! I've noticed in some of the earlier development shots that parts where the paint has worn off looks like it is reflecting light differently than the parts with paint still on them. It's particularly visible on the Hurricane engine shots from your 18/12 update. Is it really two layers with different reflectivity?

Skarphol
12-28-2009, 09:59 AM
From the Oleg Maddox News thread:

Also I hope to post something else before January 1.

Are we about to see the official launch of Storm of War before New Years Eve?
I'm crossing my fingers!

Skarphol

Oleg Maddox
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I think I've found one, this instrument is in both the Spitfire and the Hurricane:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/jocko417/hurri.jpg

In the center of the Turn and Slip face it should say 'AM' below the crown, not 'AN'. 'AM' stands for 'Air Ministry' and this type of marking is found on everything from aircraft instruments to flying gloves, there were different styles but usually appeared in the form of 'A <crown> M'

Here it is on the placard from a late war radio management box:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/jocko417/rad2.jpg

I will take a look for this.

Tree_UK
12-28-2009, 10:17 AM
From the Oleg Maddox News thread:

Are we about to see the official launch of Storm of War before New Years Eve?
I'm crossing my fingers!

Skarphol

Jeez guys come on, the WIP shots that Oleg has posted are fantastic but clearly show we are a long way off from release. Maybe this time next year.

Oleg Maddox
12-28-2009, 10:23 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2186/pressure.jpg

Yet we don't know what term is the right one, but "Preßure" is definitely wrong ;)

edit1: It has to be "Preßluft"

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4154/kmhz.jpg

I doubt that there was "km/St" standing and I've never seen it before. Rather "km/h" for "Kilometer pro Stunde (Kilometers per hour)" in both cases is right.

edit2: after some discussion in german community I have to agree that there were both variations on the same dashboard. Weird but true.

edit3: I would highly recommend to use "DIN 1451 Fette Engschrift" and "DIN 1451 Fette Mittelschrift" for descriptions on the tin plates. Both fonts I have uploaded to your FTP server some weeks ago.

We may see in different WWII time signs diferent things comparing to modern time.
everla tiome in the past someone said me that we have icorrect German on the signs. Then I was need to show how it was in reality... that German Language has been changed from WWII time and some words are now we may see written by other way... that all German original Aviattion terms were going in history and replaced by american terms.

I will check with Pressure, hower I think others - simply repainted photocopy of real.

PS. I have some german trials of aircraft. Some terms there in formulas now even Germans that works in aviation weren't able to traslate (Orignal German terms that are now replaced by English)

Masi67
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi, Oleg sended you private mail yesterday to your 1c mail address. Nothing too serious, just a little flashback from years back.

-Masi67-

FG28_Kodiak
12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
It is Preßluft not Pressure:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2743/altgross1.jpg

By the second there is no Error, from a Orginal Bf110G4-Cockpit:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4315/bf11011.jpg

Source:
http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/Panelnachbau/Cohausz/Cohausz%20Me%20110/Me%20110.htm

Foo'bar
12-28-2009, 01:23 PM
We may see in different WWII time signs diferent things comparing to modern time.
everla tiome in the past someone said me that we have icorrect German on the signs. Then I was need to show how it was in reality... that German Language has been changed from WWII time and some words are now we may see written by other way... that all German original Aviattion terms were going in history and replaced by american terms.

I will check with Pressure, hower I think others - simply repainted photocopy of real.

PS. I have some german trials of aircraft. Some terms there in formulas now even Germans that works in aviation weren't able to traslate (Orignal German terms that are now replaced by English)

Ok with the "km/St"-"km/h"-difference, we've already discussed it in german forums and it is correct. However, some of the terms are wrong (Preßure, vollständing, drucken etc.) have to be corrected. And I'm quite familiar with german terms of that time ;)
Perhaps you can send me a closer screenshot of german dashbords so we can check the correct spelling.
Please consider to use the ttf fonts I've uploaded to my folder on your ftp.

klem
12-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Stunning! Especially the cockpits :)
Can't wait Oleg. Soooon please!

I am not going to descend into the double-entendres surrounding your new modeller Olga.

However, I would like to say at this point that we are an equal opportunities Squadron and we are recruiting. :)

56RAF_klem
OC 56 Squadron RAF(v), "Firebirds"
http://firebirds.2ndtaf.org.uk/

Skarphol
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Jeez guys come on, the WIP shots that Oleg has posted are fantastic but clearly show we are a long way off from release. Maybe this time next year.

Calm down my friend, I was thinking of launch of the website and marketing, etc, not the game itself.
If it is to be released in 2010 this would be about the right time to do that.

Skarphol

Redwan
12-28-2009, 03:18 PM
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/447/comparaison2.jpg

Great job http://webtools.fr.ubi.com/forums/smileys/yes.png

The virtual one looks better than the real one ;)

Foo'bar
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/447/comparaison2.jpg

Great job http://webtools.fr.ubi.com/forums/smileys/yes.png

The virtual one looks better than the real one ;)

...but with wrong font ;) see above.

Redwan
12-28-2009, 04:10 PM
It shouldn't be a big deal to fix that.

Freycinet
12-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Foobar, Zorin, jocko, thanks so much for your detailed comments on the cockpit decals. I really appreciate that you give this criticism and I hope Oleg does as well.

We had spelling errors in il-2 cockpits and there is no reason to have them again, if the community can help out and there is still time.

You guys should really have cockpit pics sent to you, so you could help out.

Also, if Foobar sent the right font for the decals, I hope it can be used. Very important for a genuine look.

Oleg Maddox
12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi, Oleg sended you private mail yesterday to your 1c mail address. Nothing too serious, just a little flashback from years back.

-Masi67-

Hi, got your bike and son photo! :)
Thank you!

Oleg Maddox
12-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd say she is tracing roads with the help of Google maps, as she is working in Photoshop. Though that would be rather pointless in my opinion as most cities have completely changed shape, size and especially road systems since back in the 1930s.

Old city maps would be the best choice, together with autoroute maps. Both can be found on the net. Also recon photos can be used for comparison. At least that is how most serious map builders for IL-2 work.

She using it to make main streets and squares cities look, comparing with 1939 year map and then making our own.

Its why I told on Russian forum that impossible to use directly sattelite maps for 1940-45 years action.

The goal is to get it close look like photo realistic, like it was, but not like it is now.

Oleg Maddox
12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Great update!

Love the Bf 110 cockpit, though I found two typos, apart from some missing Umlauts.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb107/ZorinW/typos.jpg

My 110ths post on a Bf 110 issue, funny ;)

Corrected. Thank you and Foo'bar very much.

Later I will post high resolution detailed shots.
So anybody may help to corect bugs of such king if is.

My guys simply copy-repaint such tables from the photos, however not all photos are useful quality or usable on th full square.

SlipBall
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
So Oleg, what date do you think for release, everything looks so good like almost done...a quess as to a date would be good enough for now:grin:

Alien
12-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't forget to send copies to reviewers when ready for release.

UH, OH, and a question:

Will there be something like physical realistic model of planes crashing to the ground? Please, I love to watch realistic crashes!!!

Foo'bar
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Later I will post high resolution detailed shots.
So anybody may help to corect bugs of such king if is.

Very kind :)

jocko417
12-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Yes, great idea.

TomCatBG
01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Oleg,first of all i wish to say happy new year (с новый годом, i think it's spelled that way correct me if i'm wrong i studied russian only for 3 years xD).

Second i've been playing il-2 for like 8 years now,and i'm thrilled to see a new flight sim with such detail. But i have some questions:
I've read lot of technical data and pilot memoars and my question is will you get deformations in the wing and control places in high speed dives(if you remember that's one of the tactics of the germans to get off the spit's with there fabric elevators). Then we get to the planes themselves i saw the AWESOME(!!!!) work on the planes and the part with the used planes with the different stats,ok but what do you get from that in multiplayer? i mean you said you could jump from one plane to another on the ground and will it be passible that you get off a damaged plane,let's say you've got a whole in the wing after a sortie and you jump off it and to another healthy plane on a let's say dogfight map,and in a period of time will the technicians repair that plane and put it for use but when you get on it it will have the stats of the 'used' plane?
Then we get to the pilots themselves, Outstanding job on them too, you said that the skins will be by multiple layers and stuff,will you still be able not only to change your face(you said we can do that) but will you be able to add your rank and medals on the skin as well? Oh and last think, when you get injure in IL-2 you just got redish screen, will we have blood in the cockpit and on the pilot himself in SoW?

~S!~ and top work on the game again!!!
greetings from Bulgaria

hiro
01-05-2010, 04:15 AM
A Christmas update, finally able to get back and not once but twice!

Thanks for the update. THe ground vehicles look nice!

At first I thought Olga was going to be in the game LOL. But you guys should put her in as the rest of you.

some really knowledgeable people helping with the German cockpit! Yeah! Props to you!

Like the easter egg thing of Santa . . .

Mission Santa's Little Helpers: Escort Santa and prevent nightfighters on both sides from getting a shot on him.

Mission, Grinch: You must get through Santa's escorts and force his landing.

Future forum discussion:

In response to: SOW's SANTA = 1946's Lerche, Faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a locomotive, able to take hits equal to 3 bombers. . .

Ok here's a small FAQ on the Santa missions:

Guys, IT'S SANTA. Of course his flight modeling is different. HE has to land on a roof top, hence the FM.

He can fly through the fog w/out radar and not hit anything, because he has Rudolph!

The reason why Santa can take so much damage is the FM treats each reindeer as an engine, therefore each reindeer must be hit. Santa can fly on one deer.

Oh and BTW killing Rudolph won't turn off the fog navigation Santa has.

Santa disappears from radar / sight / ground clutter too uber / can't find him in the city issues: Remember Santa lands indiscriminantly on residential houses / apartments etc to drop off gifts. You can't catch him in the sky when he does.

Santa is too fast / I used AAA and even the ME 163 can't catch him / Santa climbs too quick.
The only time where someone b1tched about realism, LOL. Santa FM is fast, he has to fly around the whole world at night. Santa

I take damage when coming on Santa's six, and no one is around. Look at the screen shots below. See the green guy in the santa hat? The elves can throw random toys or use BB guns / fire crackers.

Santa puts up a good defense.
They modelled the reindeer moving up and down, as if they are riding a wave, they porpoise up and down, so you have to time your shots.

Santa has a fuel cheat!
Santa runs off the spirit of Christmas, so his FM has unlimited fuel checked.

CRO_Adriatic
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
It is really nice how you do your work! Sretna nova godina :)

Redwan
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, fantastic work, indeed, but I have a question to Oleg about the 3D grass.

I'm really happy to see that BoB will be one of the first sim's to have 3 D moving grass, but I think It could be improved.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2320/grassbob.jpg

Some other modern sim's propose something more covincing.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5408/grassrof.jpg

I hope that the BoB graphic engine can allow some enhancments as it has already been successfully done for the trees.

LukeFF
01-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Yes, fantastic work, indeed, but I have a question to Oleg about the 3D grass.

I'm really happy to see that BoB will be one of the first sim's to have 3 D moving grass, but I think It could be improved.

Remember that these are all work in progress. Remember, we work with this game every day of the week. We know what looks good and what doesn't, believe us. The grass is too bright, or the horizon too blocky because it's not final yet, because it takes work - not because we're blind and we can't see it.

Redwan
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Thank's for the reminder ;-) but I think that the grass is not only too bright, but also too repetitive. For now, the RoF grass looks much better on that point of view and I hope that the final release of BoB will offer something more photorealistic like in RoF.

HenFre
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Hmm.. I think there are some other things to take into account.
First of all the grass in the screenshot from ROF is continious and this is not the case for the picture taken in SOW, which is broken by the hangers cement runway. So it is easier in the SOW shot to see how each individual grasstexture looks. Find a picture that shows the same in ROF and I think they will look almost alike..
Secondly the screenshot from ROF is much smaller than the one from SOW, which in turn blurs out the detail. Also there might be anti-alias on the screenshot from ROF which it clearly is not in the SOW screenshot.

Just my 5-cents.. :)

SlipBall
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Thank's for the reminder ;-) but I think that the grass is not only too bright, but also too repetitive. For now, the RoF grass looks much better on that point of view and I hope that the final release of BoB will offer something more photorealistic like in RoF.

Why the fixtation with the grass?...this is a flight sim, snap out of it and buckle in. The grass will be a blur most of the time

nearmiss
01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
War is a bleak, black, smoky, cruddy, nasty, dirty, muddy, bloody business.

All that nice green grass... LOL

When it rains all that plush green grass should turn into a mud bog.

I careless for the grass, because the first sentence above describes the battlefields and airfields.

Chivas
01-07-2010, 04:32 AM

I careless for the grass, because the first sentence above describes the battlefields and airfields.

I agree what you say about the battlefields being a bleaky, bloody mess. It was a world war but the whole world wasn't a battlefield and pilots were lucky enough to fly away from the bleak bloody mess over very beautifull grassy fields. :) I'm sure airfields weren't always a muddy bog, if they were, aircraft would have been grounded, especially the 109 alot more than they actually were.

tagTaken2
01-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Why the fixtation with the grass?...this is a flight sim, snap out of it and buckle in. The grass will be a blur most of the time

That was my first reaction, but Oleg has said previously that movie making is important, not just for fun, but also for licensing for WWII docos, etc. Potentially every detail is important if the engine is to be used for CGI reenactions. Trains should look good, vehicle suspension should shift properly, trees move in the wind etc.
I'm sure a lot of us have looked at Dogfights! CGI and thought that it looks rubbish... imagine it with SoW engine...

SlipBall
01-07-2010, 11:21 AM
That was my first reaction, but Oleg has said previously that movie making is important, not just for fun, but also for licensing for WWII docos, etc. Potentially every detail is important if the engine is to be used for CGI reenactions. Trains should look good, vehicle suspension should shift properly, trees move in the wind etc.
I'm sure a lot of us have looked at Dogfights! CGI and thought that it looks rubbish... imagine it with SoW engine...

I agree that its important, my point was vs. ROF grass

philip.ed
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM

What planet are you livng in? The Battle of Britain was one of the hottest summers Britain had had for years and the british made sue their grass on their airfields was kept in perfect condition where possible. Now of course grass would be affected by weather and the constant movement of aircraft, but due to the hot summer the grass would be extrememly dry and so cut ver short. The grass in any of the shots we've seen is nothing like how it would look. British airfields were not like bogs duing the BoB, in the autumn months when it rained they might have become muddy, but nothing like the conditions you describe. Of course though if people decide to make a BoF campaign then the conditions you describe would be appropiate, bu for the BoB then it is far from that ;)

mano
01-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi!!

you have done a great work.

I cannot wait for that !!!

the screenshots are absolutely fantastic (sorry for my english)

I have a little question:
there will be, during play time, the possibility to save the game status?

it would be a nice feature.
when I come home at evening, after a job day, i would love the possibility to resume the game status

that could make possible to learn and achieve enough skill to take a good fly and engage a dogfight without restart every time from 00:00 tempo

( i remember in IL2 Sturmovik the possibility to time stretching: absolutely a good "tool",
but I think a "save game" possibility also should make a big difference)

I thank you for all your posts and your good work.
I'm sorry if this was not the right place to ask that question
and i'm absolutely sorry for my "random" english!!

cheers from Italy ;)

Golden_Eagle_FM
01-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Nice shots, but still I wonder when we will be able to have all this.
I have stopped now with IL2 since many months after nearly 7 years of use.
Visual quality, sound and graphics seem really something of the past.
Playing with games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (CODMW2) for sure has spoilt me, and having seen demos of Metro 2030. BoB will be against a terrible competition in terms of visual quality, effects, sound, and also physical behaviour of the environment.
Quality design of objects and planes is fine, but the visual quality of the environment, animations of characters will also be important. Pilots must be modelled like the soldiers in CODMW2, with facial expressions.
On the ground same for the soldiers. There must be an animated background of people in the airports or on the ships. Over the many years that IL2 has strived with many little improvements here and there, but now the visual gap is starting to become wider and wider.
Will BoB use DirectX11 features, the power of the latest generations of GPU's, multicore 64bit machines etc. etc.
All my hopes are yes. But the development takes so long and seems to have concentrated too much on the object details (at least from what is shown to us) that I am afraid when it comes out the visual engine may look already something of the past and there will be no time for animating properly the world around.

MOG_Rumboy
01-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Pilots must be modelled like the soldiers in CODMW2, with facial expressions.

Why?

IMHO I seriously hope time is not being spent giving pilots facial expressions. If someone rocks up in my six blazing fire, I'm guessing I'm going to want to manoever, not change my view setting to see if my eye brows are up in surprise.

a flight simulator or human simulator? As an IL2 player, I'd be quite happy with just seeing a pair of legs on the rudders and a hand on the stick!

Great looking WiP - looking forward to this.

Qpassa
01-19-2010, 06:18 AM
As an IL2 player, I'd be quite happy with just seeing a pair of legs on the rudders and a hand on the stick!

Great looking WiP - looking forward to this.
Agree 100%

Flanker35M
01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
S!

In flight sim genre the graphical eye candy is not on the top of the list. Most of the time graphics are very good, but also practical. Too much eyecandy takes a lot of power to process and then what is left for physics or damage modeling? IL-2 is maybe a bit dated in graphics department, but some user made content has changed this as well, especially in cockpits, textures, maps and external appearance of planes.

SoW's biggest catch will be the FM and DM being even more complex than IL-2. And now DirectX 11 coding so no more silly "one graphics card pony" game like IL-2 is causing ATI users to spend a lot of time tweaking. Today both Green and Red team offer a lot of power for games so discriminating either of them is just like sawing off the branch you sit on ;)

So until release have time to upgrade HOTAS etc..:)

Tree_UK
01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
S!

In flight sim genre the graphical eye candy is not on the top of the list. Most of the time graphics are very good, but also practical. Too much eyecandy takes a lot of power to process and then what is left for physics or damage modeling? IL-2 is maybe a bit dated in graphics department, but some user made content has changed this as well, especially in cockpits, textures, maps and external appearance of planes.

SoW's biggest catch will be the FM and DM being even more complex than IL-2. And now DirectX 11 coding so no more silly "one graphics card pony" game like IL-2 is causing ATI users to spend a lot of time tweaking. Today both Green and Red team offer a lot of power for games so discriminating either of them is just like sawing off the branch you sit on ;)

I 100% agree with you on the FM and DM being the most important part of any sim Flanker, and DirectX 11 is a positive. Obviously for successful sales and public interest the eye candy surely plays a major factor as long has it does not significantley effect the 'playability'. Lets hope SOW meets our expectations on all these counts. S!

KG26_Alpha
01-19-2010, 08:36 AM
And now DirectX 11 coding so no more silly "one graphics card pony" game like IL-2 is causing ATI users to spend a lot of time tweaking. Today both Green and Red team offer a lot of power for games so discriminating either of them is just like sawing off the branch you sit on ;)

You mean ATI's lack of driver support surely.

Nvidia was originally used as they had the most stable drivers and support , iirc over 9 years ago the decision was to code with Nvidia in mind because of this fact.
You cant blame Oleg for the poor driver support from ATI even nearly 10 Years later !!!!!

ATI had it right with the X1950 pro and driver 7.11, I had 2 in Crossfire config for a while.

Seems they went chasing numbers to make sales and lost the plot.

Tree_UK
01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Thats a fair point Alpha, ATI cards have always been good but the driver support has been sketchy at best. I'm not certain that has improved much in recent times.

tagTaken2
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
ATI drivers and Crapalyst software suck, I'm never buying an ATI card again.

Flanker35M
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
S!

Do not bash ATI alone Alpha. ATI has full support to OpenGL 3.2 and IL-2 is the ONLY game using old OGL version I have problems with, due the "nvidiasation" done back then. During IL2 beta I had ATI/nVidia/Kyro II and got IL2 to work fine and reported this to devs. So not lack of testing ;)

I can run Rise Of Flight maxed out, Aces High 2 maxed out, STALKER maxed out etc. with my ATI 5870HD WITHOUT a SINGLE glitch due supposedly "crappy drivers and support". From my experience with computers and troubleshooting MOST of the errors are located between the keyboard and the chair ;)

So if IL-2 got some more support, DLL's do this, as I tested them extensively when tweaking ATI to work with it. And it is a 2 way road, ATI and TD/MG must communicate ;) I used nVidia 280GTX with IL2 as well and it has it's share of bugs and stuff like ATI, not a flawless card unless you benchmark only ;) :D

So my point is valid, DirectX 11 is the right step to get rid of the 1-trick pony stuff we have in IL2. That is a VERY good thing to ALL gamers regardless brand of GFX card. I am not a fanboi of any brand, I just use whatever I want..now it was time for ATI and damn happy with it.

Back to topic. Super details are for screenshots. In the heat of an online fight or hair rising offline campaign you really do not have time to stare if a screw is serial numbered or not and every player wants performance, even eye candy is nice to have. So balance is the key. SoW will be fine for sure so waiting eagerly for it.

KG26_Alpha
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
You mean ATI's lack of driver support surely.

Nvidia was originally used as they had the most stable drivers and support , iirc over 9 years ago the decision was to code with Nvidia in mind because of this fact.
You cant blame Oleg for the poor driver support from ATI even nearly 10 Years later !!!!!

ATI had it right with the X1950 pro and driver 7.11, I had 2 in Crossfire config for a while.

Seems they went chasing numbers to make sales and lost the plot.

S!

Do not bash ATI alone Alpha. ATI has full support to OpenGL 3.2 and IL-2 is the ONLY game using old OGL version I have problems with, due the "nvidiasation" done back then. During IL2 beta I had ATI/nVidia/Kyro II and got IL2 to work fine and reported this to devs. So not lack of testing ;)

Im not bashing ATI
There's enough customers out there that can do that.

You are blaming Oleg 1C team for ATI support which I find simply stunningly ignorant that's all, and dragging up you were an IL2 beta tester from 10 years ago should qualify you to know better than make your original post which I commented on.

Last post I'm not wasting the forum bandwith going off topic.

brando
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
S!

I can run Rise Of Flight maxed out, Aces High 2 maxed out, STALKER maxed out etc. with my ATI 5870HD WITHOUT a SINGLE glitch due supposedly "crappy drivers and support". From my experience with computers and troubleshooting MOST of the errors are located between the keyboard and the chair ;)

So if IL-2 got some more support, DLL's do this, as I tested them extensively when tweaking ATI to work with it. And it is a 2 way road, ATI and TD/MG must communicate ;) I used nVidia 280GTX with IL2 as well and it has it's share of bugs and stuff like ATI, not a flawless card unless you benchmark only ;) :D

So my point is valid, DirectX 11 is the right step to get rid of the 1-trick pony stuff we have in IL2. That is a VERY good thing to ALL gamers regardless brand of GFX card. I am not a fanboi of any brand, I just use whatever I want..now it was time for ATI and damn happy with it.

Back to topic. Super details are for screenshots. In the heat of an online fight or hair rising offline campaign you really do not have time to stare if a screw is serial numbered or not and every player wants performance, even eye candy is nice to have. So balance is the key. SoW will be fine for sure so waiting eagerly for it.

+1

TomCatBG
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey i've got a question to Oleg.

I saw the superb work and read about the multiple layers if you want to skin a plane, my question is will this time the textures be more high definition so we have a more precise work on them if we want to let's say paint killmarks on our rudders or something like that?

~S!~

mazex
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
What planet are you livng in? The Battle of Britain was one of the hottest summers Britain had had for years and the british made sue their grass on their airfields was kept in perfect condition where possible. Now of course grass would be affected by weather and the constant movement of aircraft, but due to the hot summer the grass would be extrememly dry and so cut ver short. The grass in any of the shots we've seen is nothing like how it would look. British airfields were not like bogs duing the BoB, in the autumn months when it rained they might have become muddy, but nothing like the conditions you describe. Of course though if people decide to make a BoF campaign then the conditions you describe would be appropiate, bu for the BoB then it is far from that ;)

Interesting... Let's see if Oleg models the correct weather for each day ;) I would not be surprised :)

So that we all can prepare to analyze this, here is a weather summary I found for London in 1940 (at http://www.london-weather.eu/article.81.html). I will be very disappointed if july 24:th is hotter than 16.4 degrees and the effects on engine output due to air density is not correct ;)

July - Cool with above average rainfall and sunshine.
Mean Temperature 16.1°C Monthly Highest 25.6°C Total Rain 68 mm Monthly Lowest 8.2°C Total Sun 207 hrs
The beginning of July was warm and sunny, and the afternoon temperature on the 2nd rose above 25°C. It then became cooler and changeable as Atlantic fronts crossed the country. A few dry and fairly sunny days occurred, and occasionally temperatures approached normal. Generally, however, it was cool and showery, with some longer spells of rain. On the 21st, over 10mm of rain was recorded, and on the 24th, the maximum temperature was only 16.4°C.

August - Very dry with above average sunshine and slightly below normal temperatures.
Mean Temperature 16.9°C Monthly Highest 26.5°C Total Rain 2 mm Monthly Lowest 6.8°C Total Sun 208 hrs
High pressure over, or to the west of, the British Isles, dominated the weather throughout the month. It was warm at first and the temperature exceeded 26°C. on the 4th. However, winds from the northwest or north gave many rather cool days with cloudy afternoons. Showers produced over 1mm of rain on the 10th, and at the end of the third week there were several cool, cloudy and breezy days with a little rain. On the 23rd, the afternoon temperature only reached 16.5°C.

September - Rather cool, dry and sunny.
Mean Temperature 13.9°C Monthly Highest 26.4°C Total Rain 35 mm Monthly Lowest 4.4°C Total Sun 164 hrs
The first week of September was dry and warm with sunny periods. On the 4th it was sunny all day with the temperature rising above 26°C. The second week was rather changeable and cooler, but amounts of rain were small. After mid month, although several dry days occurred, Atlantic weather systems became more active. On the 19th, over 18mm of rain fell, and towards the end of the month it became very cool.. The maximum on the 29th was only 13.1°C.

October - Rather cold with above average rainfall and slightly below normal sunshine.
Mean Temperature 10.2°C Monthly Highest 17.3°C Total Rain 61 mm Monthly Lowest -0.2°C Total Sun 94 hrs
The opening 4 weeks of the month were changeable with temperatures mostly near, or slightly below, normal. There were some dry days, and on the 7th, it was sunny all day. Much of the rain was light, but on the 16th, over 17mm fell. On the 20th, the temperature rose above 17°C., but during the last few days of October winds blew from the north and it became much colder. On the 29th, there was a frost early and late, and the maximum temperature was only 8.6°C.

Aviar
02-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey i've got a question to Oleg.

I saw the superb work and read about the multiple layers if you want to skin a plane, my question is will this time the textures be more high definition so we have a more precise work on them if we want to let's say paint killmarks on our rudders or something like that?

~S!~

Well, I've seen Oleg say that the skins will be 2048x2048 (right now they are 1024x1024).

So, if that's what you meant by "...more high definition...", then I guess your answer is yes.

Aviar

TomCatBG
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Thx Aviar. One more question, i'll address it to everyone but mainly to Oleg, Will we have the option in SoW when we bailout(we all have to bail out eventually) to look at the pilots eyes and not from an outside camera, i underline The Option so we can switch it in the options let's say where we look when we bail? will that be possible?

~S!~

Dungeness
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I used to post on Oleg's forum in a previous life (2006?) and under a different ID, but have been away from the simming community for a long time. I'm still waiting patiently for SOW, though :). Re landscape and damage modelling, one thing that was discussed quite a lot back in the day was the smoke from bombing damage, particularly the daylight bombing of Thameshaven oil depot , although the same issue would be even more apparent with the Dunkirk evacuation, if its in the campaign. The point was that in the historical reality oil fires burnt for days after a raid and large palls of smoke were apparent from many miles away. The Lufwaffe apparently used the smoke column at Thameshaven as a navigation mark for their subsequent daylight raids on East London. Similarly, the reflected 'glow' of the fires started in the London Docks at in the night Blitz was visible to German pilots from their landing fields in France. Will this scale of damage be modelled?

And I hope Oleg is watching 'Blitz Street' - everything we ever needed to know about bomb damage - quite amazing....

KG26_Alpha
05-05-2010, 03:51 PM
And I hope Oleg is watching 'Blitz Street' - everything we ever needed to know about bomb damage - quite amazing....

Shame the Doodle bug test was "simulated" as the health and safety nerds stopped the full test :9

AndyJWest
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Shame the Doodle bug test was "simulated" as the health and safety nerds stopped the full test :9
Er, yes, except that the H & S nerds thought that a full-power test might have blown widows out a couple of miles away, with the conditions as they were. I'd call that a good decision.

In any case, there was no need to use a full test - as was explained, they used less explosives, closer to the buildings, to get a similar effect. If they had used a full charge where they were, the entire test area would have been demolished. Spectacular, but not much use in determining building survivability.

Dungeness
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Yep - I'd really think they should have taken the risk with the local residents eardrums :). It would have been a HUGE explosion - I wonder what they'll do with the V2! Hope the guys outside the UK have caught up with this excellent series - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/blitz-street/episode-guide/series-1. Must-see TV for anyone who has ever piloted a Ju87 or He111...