PDA

View Full Version : Red Tide player Review

blanketsmeller
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the great game 1C, Men of war brought many hours of fun and excitement. Men of War is by far the best RTS I have ever played apart from company of heroes. You never seem to disappoint. But I was wrong. Red tide is by far the most disappointing title I have played this year (2009)

The option of only playing the Black Coats got really boring. The missions got repetitive, got too hard too fast due to the fact that it is much harder to hide in bushes and limited ammo to start off. Most missions I had to get ammo for every single man in my squad which took for ever.

The AI didn’t improve much. When I take out a gun crew another AI would run to the gun and take his place, and it goes on and on. I didn’t really see many tanks in the game, except for those Romanian tanks. The tanks in Red tide just drive right into the enemy positions and get destroyed.

In the future I would like too see more fractions such as the SS. The Black coats probably weren’t the best idea. They look like sailors not soldiers. In the future I would like to see improve AI, better game play, MORE AMMO FOR MY SQUAD, and more fractions. The SS was one of the best soldiers, and the one of the most famous of WW2, and it would be more visually appealing to be playing German SS, then black coat navy men. also the US airborn would be a a good idea too, because they are also well known

i give this game 3/10, but wait wheres the multiplayer? 1/10

Sneaksie
12-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Glorification of 'feats' of these one of the best and most famous members of the criminal organization including mass murdering of civilian population, atrocities, punitive operations, executions, genocide and other crimes against humanity is not in line with the policy of our company, so making an SS game fraction is out of the question.

blanketsmeller
12-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Glorification of 'feats' of these one of the best and most famous members of the criminal organization including mass murdering of civilian population, atrocities, punitive operations, executions, genocide and other crimes against humanity is not in line with the policy of our company, so making an SS game fraction is out of the question.

Are you saying they are not Men of war??? The SS won many battles in ww2. im not telling you to make a SS fraction that murder civilian population, atrocities, punitive operations, executions, genocide.

also i mention about the airbron. its still better then playing as a bunch of sailors.

also i mentioned somthing about poor AI, whats up with that?

Blackriot
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
The Waffen SS should be fine to display for they were placed on the battlefield. However many elements that in fact committed atrocities were associated with the SS but were apart from the Waffen SS.

The Black Sea Naval Infantry were ferocious fighters and I'm glad they were portrayed in this title, but I was looking forward to playing AS the Italians, Romanians, and Germans as well.

Overall I feel the game lacks a lot of key features that could of been easily applied such as Multiplayer, co op, and more campaigns to offer variety and re-playability.

I rate the game about a 6.5

Nikitns
12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
no. Waffen SS men served as concentration guards as well as soldiers. There was a rotation system in place.

Yes, Red tide simply isn't as good as Men of war. 6-7/10 is a fair score.

Men of war would score 9/10 with me.

haorant
12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I would play any nation even SS because the men of war series is so good and has never disapointed me. So I will play úntil it dose(which hopefully is never). Red tide isnt a bad game, okay its not as good as the original but its still a very good game. AI is not at all bad they are so smart that even playing this game on easy is a very very big challenge. But I agree with blanketsmeller about the fact that soilders have so little ammo its just too little!!

Blackriot
12-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Nikitns can you provide a source where SS men were used as guards?

I know that the SS as an organization were involved in many terrible things including concentration camps but the Waffen SS were purely a military group.

MilkaCow
12-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Nikitns can you provide a source where SS men were used as guards?

I know that the SS as an organization were involved in many terrible things including concentration camps but the Waffen SS were purely a military group.

The Schutz-Staffel (SS) was just the head-organisation for the many minor parts, out of which the Waffen-SS is one.
They were created in november 1939 and formed out of the old SS-Totenkopfverbänden and SS-Verfügungstruppen. While the majority of the armed troops of the SS served the same purposes as the Wehrmacht and was similiar armed, there were also troops whose purpose was not front combat.
One of them was the fifth division, the SS-Totenkopf Standarte (SS-Skull-Division). They were not armed for frontal combat (i.e. had no artillery, no heavy weapons) and were not to be used as normal troops, but surpression forces in conquered territories aswell as guarding the concetration camps.

Well, i guess you can easily find sources for that in english if you want to.
Since i am german i could only give you german sources. Guess they are more reliable than translated ones.

August Schreiner
12-25-2009, 03:03 AM
From what I can remember some personnel of the SS-Totenkopfverbände (concentration camp guards and administration), the Allgemeine-SS and other organizations served in the SS-Verfügungstruppe which was basically the predecessor to the Waffen-SS. The SS-Totenkopfverbände Standarten or regiments along with the SS-Heimwehr Danzig would form what would become one of the infamous formations of the Waffen-SS, the 3.SS Division 'Totenkopf'.

Anyways, that's off subject.

In regards to Men of War: Red Tide, the plot, ideas and new features it offers are fresh, but why not make that freshness last by adding multiplayer support? Afterall, I'd have to think that the overwhelming majority of players want multiplayer to be included. The new features in combination with multiplayer-support would only give them even more of an incentive to buy and play it.

I know that the single-player campaign in Men of War: Red Tide is based on the memoirs of a soldier in the Soviet Naval Infantry or the Black Coats, but I don't think including a few single player missions for the Axis, including the Romanians and Italians would hurt. Why not utilize these new forces for great opportunities of ideas for new missions? Afterall, I think some players would be interested in their perspective since they're often overlooked in regards to the Eastern Front and the war in general. Perhaps a mission involving the Romanians in Operation 60,000 could be done. This operation was a rescue effort whose objective involved evacuating Axis forces from the Crimea, of which is arguably comparable to that of Dunkirk in terms of the manuevers and dangers involved.

ehlokeay
12-31-2009, 11:16 AM
I really love RT for the moment. There is one thing I am missing, though: I reckon it lacks missions such as the original mission of MoW where you have to organise the defence of Sevastopol, or "Moscow is behind us", etc... Not to mention the lack of multiplayer, but AFAIC I never play online (I like my social life :D)

I really loved the defending missions of MoW, where the enemy waves never seem to end and coming stronger and stronger. I have to add that I am only halfway up to the end of the game, so maybe it will come later.

Now, RT IS an excellent game (the best RTS I have played, it makes the perfect combination with a game like "Hearts of Iron" from Paradox Interactive), and the guys at 1C definitely know their job.

OVO
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I am a "FACEs of WAR" and "MEN of WAR" veteran.

I have been playing RED TIDE since mid-November.
I have just finished the 1st mission in 1944 where at the end you have to make a defensive perimeter around the building with mines from boxes, etc.
Conclusion so far is they have put a great amount of thought and work into this game apparently based on true battles of the Russian Black Coats!
I like it very much. :grin:
It gives me a lot of entertainment.:grin:

The only 1 exception that I did not like were some crappy sounds for some light hand-held guns/machine guns.
Luckily I was able to fix this right from the beginning by using the "Men of War - Ultimate Sound Pack".
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums...hp?f=15&t=3744

wilson419
01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Before I offer any criticism of Red Tide (…for what it is worth), I must give props to the dev team and 1c. SHOWWII, FOW, MOW, and various other titles from these guys have kept me entertained for years; they most definitely have the WWII RTS genre on lock! I have been blown away with practically every new game that comes along from them, and every expansion/sequel keeps improving on the previous title, for the most part anyways.

With that said, my opinion is that Red Tide, although fun, is probably my least favorite of the franchise thus far. Not that it isn’t worth playing or anything, because it is, and if your diehard into the series like me you naturally have to play it, but it just seams to disappoint in many areas where the games previously have kept me really excited.

For example, I love the set-piece defense mission (a few posters have already mentioned this qualm), and I am baffled that it isn’t included much in RT. Now I understand that there needs to be assault/sabotage/recon/rescue missions in the game as well to keep it flowing smoothly and for variety sake, however, RT is almost all offensive in nature. Furthermore, the “few” defensive maps are nowhere near as customize-ably interesting as they have been in the past, most times a defensive action pops up in an otherwise offensive mission, and it is far too hasty in tempo to be thoroughly enjoyed (usually I am defending by the seat of my pants in these scenarios).

The lack of things like medium-heavy armor and large assortments of weaponry to name a few gets somewhat dreary after a while as well. The game principally revolves around earlier conflicts in the war, with a very specific organization within the WWII era Russian military, so I guess I understand this to some extent, but maybe that lack of scope is what I miss. It just gets repetitive and stale to run around with virtually the same 7 men, using the same cross-section of weapons, doing basically very similar missions (with a few different details thrown in here and there). Variety is the spice of life or something like that, and this franchise rarely disappointed in this arena in the past.

“Glitches-a-plenty” seam to hinder finer points of the game play, for me at least. Granted, there have always been a fair number of excusable wonky technicalities to these games, which I have accepted given the elaborate degree of micromanagement offered to the player, but I have become exceedingly frustrated with these “bugs” in RT. Scripting, triggers, idiotic AI behavior, weird enviro/map elements, etc spring forth all too often to be totally excusable. Perhaps the relatively rapid turn-around on this expansion explains some of that, but I really wish it were a lot cleaner.

Like I said, props to the team, they tried something a little different with RT and maybe some people will love it, but I think it is the weakest link thus far. It is my opinion that they have found an engine/concept/style that works really really well, so why mess with a good thing!? All they principally need continue to do is improve features, graphics, keep the scenarios flowing, and leave everything else the same and they will continue to have a winner for years to come. Red Tide seams like it could have been thrown into MOW in pieces, but not as a standalone expansion, maybe it was marketing, or maybe the Devs felt compelled to pay special homage to the Russians, or whatever it was, but it could have been better imo…