PDA

View Full Version : Small SoW update courtesy of Luthier...

JVM
12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
http://forum.sukhoi.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=102747&d=1260803283

http://forum.sukhoi.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=102748&d=1260803283

http://forum.sukhoi.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=102749&d=1260803283

Beautiful...

JV

zakkandrachoff
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
:cool:

Skoshi Tiger
12-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Have to love the Wellington with that sturdy lattice constuction.

Will the damage model include large areas of fabric burnt off to expose the frame below and the plane still flying? I hope so.

proton45
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
nice...

jermin
12-15-2009, 12:22 AM
It seems that they haven't start modelling ground scenery yet.

genbrien
12-15-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm wondering if that plane :
A: is brand new
B: has made a couple missions
C: has a lack of maintenance

I just hope that when it's new its not missing that much paint on it, but only after she made some missions

Skoshi Tiger
12-15-2009, 05:28 AM
I think the Wellington was in service from late 1938, so 'B' would be an option. Especially the paint chips about the motor where pannels would be routinely removed for maintenance. I doubt 'C' in an pre/early war RAF.

Then again it could have been given pre-worn look to be trendy ~!)

genbrien
12-15-2009, 05:46 AM
I think the Wellington was in service from late 1938, so 'B' would be an option. Especially the paint chips about the motor where pannels would be routinely removed for maintenance. I doubt 'C' in an pre/early war RAF.

Then again it could have been given pre-worn look to be trendy ~!)
I hope too that it's B...
I said that because Oleg said that plane's paint will suffer from the elements.... and if you start with a plane like that... then after 2 months it would be bare skin :grin:

Feuerfalke
12-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Amazing how much energy you invest to find something negative. Maybe it's just to show some effects?

@ jermin:
I guess you missed the repeated statements that the screenshots will not show the actual map of the Battle of Britain until later next year. Instead custom made missions will be used for presenting screenshots. Just a hint ;)

BadAim
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I like the distinct difference between the metal and fabric covered portions of the plane, it really shows off the lighting well. Did anyone notice the subtle impression of the latticework showing through the fabric at certain angles?

This is Impressive.

Flyby
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
isn't the Wellington a non-flyable? just asking.
Flyby out
btw, it looks great! :D

Mat72
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Can't wait to make some holes in that with my 20mm! :)

Feuerfalke
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I like the distinct difference between the metal and fabric covered portions of the plane, it really shows off the lighting well. Did anyone notice the subtle impression of the latticework showing through the fabric at certain angles?

This is Impressive.

Indeed, that looks great. Maybe it will be flyable after all? But on the other hand, if such detail was implemented for an AI-plan - wow!

(IMHO the difference between the fabric covered and metal parts is the main reason why the paint is clipped off so much in these areas ;) )

Skarphol
12-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm sooooo looking forward to start playing this game! It will probably cost me my marriage, and be worth it, too..

A couple of questions to anyone who know the Wellington:
- In the third picture, there seems to be two layers of geodectic framework in the windows above the wing. Is it two layers, or is it the internal structure on the oposite side of the cabon we can see?

- Is the tailplane braced forward with some wire, or are those wires additional antennas? Both seems very unlikely...

Skarphol

Viking
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post!

Regards

Viking

Feuerfalke
12-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm sooooo looking forward to start playing this game! It will probably cost me my marriage, and be worth it, too..

A couple of questions to anyone who know the Wellington:
- In the third picture, there seems to be two layers of geodectic framework in the windows above the wing. Is it two layers, or is it the internal structure on the oposite side of the cabon we can see?

- Is the tailplane braced forward with some wire, or are those wires additional antennas? Both seems very unlikely...

Skarphol

Based on this older shot, it seems the window is "attached" on the internal structure:
http://fooblog.mexxoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/20090516_wellington_00.jpg

AFAIK the cables are antennas.

genbrien
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Amazing how much energy you invest to find something negative. Maybe it's just to show some effects?

1st: its not even a negative comment.... I never made a negative comment about Oleg's work, I know how programing and coding work, so I dont judge before the final product, and I'm sure it will be awsome.... I always tought;)

2nd: I know it's to show some effect, I was just wondering at wich state of her life in the game the aircraft will looks like that:rolleyes:

Peace:)

Robert
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I hope too that it's B...
I said that because Oleg said that plane's paint will suffer from the elements.... and if you start with a plane like that... then after 2 months it would be bare skin :grin:

A naked Wellington? That's HAWT.

DuxCorvan
12-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Effectively, the wires in the tailplane are part of a R.3003 antenna, belonging to a Mk.II IFF radio system for IFF purposes.

Avimimus
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
It seems that they haven't start modelling ground scenery yet.

It isn't an engine shot. Luthier said earlier that Oleg is the only person who can post in-engine shots. That is the reason for low res ground textures and no-elevations. Look at the altitude (2 metres!).

David603
12-15-2009, 07:43 PM
It isn't an engine shot. Luthier said earlier that Oleg is the only person who can post in-engine shots. That is the reason for low res ground textures and no-elevations. Look at the altitude (2 metres!).
I think the screenshots Luthier gave us are in-engine, just look at the lighting on the plane and the sky.

The textures on the ground look low res but nice, with a lot of detail but with a slight blurry effect kind of like the ground textures in Il2 if you turn down the ground detail a notch or two, so I'm sure these textures exist in higher res for eventual use in the maximum settings for the terrain.

Avimimus
12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Perhaps. I should have rather said that this shot is taken "in the tools" which must be some form of editor or renderer mode using the engine but with many features disabled (eg. the advanced water rendering missing from Luthier's last set of shots). I agree that it is in the game engine, but not the "game engine" proper (in playable condition with full features enabled).

By the way, this airplane was 60 kph slower than an He-111, with twice the range, more durability and with equivalent defensive armament and bombload. It is really nice to see it properly modelled in a sim.

Tree_UK
12-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Has this been cut and pasted onto the background? When you zoom in it looks odd somehow.

choctaw111
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Thank you very much for the photos, Luthier.

SaQSoN
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
The screenshots were made in a proprietary tool, the object viewer, which uses the same graphics kernel, as the game itself. But it doesn't contain any scenery, AI, physics, etc. The "ground" on the screenshots is just a flat surface with several toglable texture variants: grass, some generic countryside, shader water, or empty space.

This tool is used by 1C modelers to check the model in the game render to find and fix any possible visual bugs or inconsistencies.

Often it is also used for a promo screenshots, you find in updates.

IceFire
12-16-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm wondering if that plane :
A: is brand new
B: has made a couple missions
C: has a lack of maintenance

I just hope that when it's new its not missing that much paint on it, but only after she made some missions

A while back Oleg was talking about how the new texturing system allows them to paint different details at different levels. That includes a weathering layer that will progressively wear planes in the campaign mode from factory fresh to all beat up and well used.

genbrien
12-16-2009, 02:03 AM
A while back Oleg was talking about how the new texturing system allows them to paint different details at different levels. That includes a weathering layer that will progressively wear planes in the campaign mode from factory fresh to all beat up and well used.

yes I know all that....
Like I said I was jut wondering at wich state in the war, planes will look like it

zapatista
12-16-2009, 06:20 AM
JVM, thx for posting the links

excellent looking wellington there :)

nice work Oleg and Co !!

Viking
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
yes I know all that....
Like I said I was jut wondering at wich state in the war, planes will look like it

I just looked up Wellington on the Wikipedia and there is a link there to a photo of one of the only two survivors and that plane looks exactly like the BoB one!

So the correct answer might be: After the war!

Regards

Viking

Shrike_UK
12-16-2009, 08:11 AM
What a wicked Wellie !

robtek
12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Wasn't it called "Whimpy"?
Like in:" I've pancaked a whimpy."

Skarphol
12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Wasn't it called "Whimpy"?
Like in:" I've pancaked a whimpy."

From Wikipedia:
"The Wellington was popularly known as the Wimpy by service personnel, after J. Wellington Wimpy from the Popeye cartoons"

Skarphol

Friendly_flyer
12-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Oooo, that's nice!