PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone managed to finish the game?

Gniarf
11-15-2009, 11:44 PM
At the end of the game you're supposed to talk with the boss before beating him, however the game crashes as soon as I approach (sure, it's the ultimate way to defeat the player, but that's not the way it's supposed to end!).

Question1: has anyone managed to talk to the boss?
Question2: are there crash logs somewhere to help me diagnose the cause?

ZIGS
11-16-2009, 02:28 AM
How long did it take you to reach the ending?

Gniarf
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I didn't count, I'd say about 35h, but that's NOT the point here!

persoiranian
11-16-2009, 08:01 PM
haven't finished the game yet so i cant help. i'm too slow and i wish others will finish the game soon to see if the problem is epidemic or not? didn't see crash log anywhere.
have you asked the question from 1c technical support?

Gniarf
11-17-2009, 03:23 AM
No, not yet, anyway either it's just my computer (unlikely imho) and in that case I'll solve my issue myself OR everyone crashes at the end and the tech support won't be able to do much as they don't have the source code.

persoiranian
11-17-2009, 09:55 AM
the tech support won't be able to do much as they don't have the source code.

yes but perhaps they can request a patch directly from the devs.

Gniarf
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
True, but I'm kinda used to try everything by myself before contacting the tech support (as a matter of fact, I only contacted a tech support once). Fixing issues yourself is more gratifying, AND you don't look like a crybaby AND it can be fun sometimes (did I mention I unpacked the .pk files and found some leftovers from...Dawn of Magic!?).
Anyway whining at the tech support is definitely not the first thing I do.

persoiranian
11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
True, but I'm kinda used to try everything by myself before contacting the tech support (as a matter of fact, I only contacted a tech support once). Fixing issues yourself is more gratifying, AND you don't look like a crybaby AND it can be fun sometimes (did I mention I unpacked the .pk files and found some leftovers from...Dawn of Magic!?).
Anyway whining at the tech support is definitely not the first thing I do.

interesting.:grin:and you said leftovers from down of magic??!!:eek:

have you solved the problem? in the official russian forum of the game, i found a topic about bugs,but didn't see anything about this,this bug is only for the english version and i dont think they really want to create a patch for this:(

persoiranian
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
and a question:
how did you unpacked the .pk files?

Gniarf
11-18-2009, 12:36 AM
in the official russian forum of the game, i found a topic about bugs,but didn't see anything about this,this bug is only for the english version and i dont think they really want to create a patch for this:(Interesting :/ ...So the core of the game is correct but somehow something went wrong when localizing. It gives clues where to look for. (or I might be the only idiot with this problem)

and a question:
how did you unpacked the .pk files?
hehe, I wrote my own unpacker.

EDIT:
have you solved the problem? Partly yes, thanks to your useful intel: removed media1.pk (the russian to english patch) and tcha-tchin! I can talk to the boss........in russian, but that's better than windowsdesktopian. I'll now see If I can get it back in english.

PS:You see nice picture during loadtimes, right? In the russian version there is also half a page of text; too bad I don't know what's it's about.

persoiranian
11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
man you are genius.:eek::shock:so there is almost no problem now.

persoiranian
11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
i noticed that during localization process they always change a few things.that loading screen is probably one of them, you tempted me to see these differences between eng and rus versions!!

Gniarf
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
man you are genius.:eek::shock:More like I'm used to solving my issues myself.

so there is almost no problem now.almost=everything Noooooooooo!!! and I said in this thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=11057) AND the fact that the final dialog is in russian (and it's quite long)...

Gniarf
11-20-2009, 12:39 PM
For users: OK, I fixed it. You just have to put the following .pk archive in the same directory as media.pk and media1.pk to see the final dialog in english.

For the devs: The exact cause is that the cue "[You see Reetor sitting on the sandy shore of the island, unable to move as each effort shoots unbearable pain through his shattered bones. You see Torne, the leader of the Water clan, his body adrift on the waves that do not even try to wash it ashore. You see Andre, who has finally managed to get out of his castle. An Earth mage, resting upon a thin black rock rising up from the sea. You see the redheaded Liz, whose heart, in defiance of everything, is still beating within the blazing depths of Oros. All the mages are looking at the Outer World Castle - you can feel it in you. And their eyes are glimmering with faint and desperate hope.]" has a length of 0x287 characters and not 0x288 which is the value written in d073_loc25.dmb.

Last note: I just regret not being able to compress when repacking.

EDIT: for those who don't/don't want to/can't have a 1C account, you can find the fix here:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Q02F3B6
EDIT (2017): re-up: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4zvw6tgjzx4yg8j/A_farewell_to_dragons_media100.zip

persoiranian
11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Great job.thanks.

anilinov
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Dude you RULE!!!!!!!

And btw the ending sucks :cry:

silverflower
12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
hehe, I wrote my own unpacker.
- Can you share a method to extract and play bca files (or something like tori_idle1.ogg)? The Voice and Effect sliders are linked somehow and the companion voices when commenting are very low. I have Audigy 4 and tried a couple of drivers with no improvement listening stereo only checked everywhere (still central speaker missing?). I'm quite sure I heard Torry saying something about a whore (curva), in Romanian or Russian in replying to Loy, maybe. I want to check this and I'll translate here what they are saying.
- Yes, the ending deserves more, I'm not even had the time to read the last words, it was too fast.

Gniarf
12-04-2009, 11:34 PM
- Can you share a method to extract and play bca files (or something like tori_idle1.ogg)?-What tells you bca are audio files? I looked at their content and couldn't find any clue.
-I posted my unpacker below, but know that it doesn't extract the files in their respective directory. Why? Because they don't store the directory names in the archive but only their hash. As a result you can't repack (unless you make the header by hand from the original one).
-Oh, and I'm not responsible if it blows in your face!

I'm quite sure I heard Torry saying something about a whore (curva), in Romanian or Russian in replying to Loy, maybe. I want to check this and I'll translate here what they are saying. Im curious to see that.
- Yes, the ending deserves more, I'm not even had the time to read the last words, it was too fast.
it says (typos are a bonus):
"Victor stretched.

With all his armored body.

From the sharp whip of his tail right to the edges of his wings.

The Lord of the Midworld took over the Dragon's Island.

Loy Iver, naked and alive, carried Ritor's head on her knees.She was watching the sky and shaking her Head in amusement.
Near the Outworld Castle gates the unicorn shook his golden mane.

Dragon the Created was born"
And there is only one outro, it says the same thing regardless of what you choose (D/DS) at the end.

EDIT (2017): mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/file/iwkp9gksgysi273/AFarewellToDragonArchives.zip

silverflower
12-05-2009, 12:51 PM
-What tells you bca are audio files? I looked at their content and couldn't find any clue.
-I posted my unpacker below, but know that it doesn't extract the files in their respective directory. Why? Because they don't store the directory names in the archive but only their hash. As a result you can't repack (unless you make the header by hand from the original one).
-Oh, and I'm not responsible if it blows in your face!

Im curious to see that.
- Thank You for the unpacker, works fine. I listened almost all oggs in english and russian and... nothing! I could swear I heard twice that word in a romanian or russian sentence but I was probably mistaken or it's a hidden eastern egg.

Gniarf
12-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm quite sure I heard Torry saying something about a whore (curva), in Romanian or Russian in replying to Loy, maybe. Could you write what you heard?
PS: I can't read russian characters.

silverflower
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
- I know only few words in russian, I'm romanian, but that word is a nasty offence in both languages, like slut in english. It was a male voice saying something with "...mama...de kurva". The accent was mostly romanian than russian (they had Moldova where people speak mostly romanian and few in Ukrain). No cast spell or idle talk from oggs finished with that word, but I noticed few numbers skipped, like in reitor_idle1.ogg to reitor_idle5.ogg, number four is missing, tori_idleX.ogg from russian version where number seven from eight is missing (english version have only six) or could be something not shown after any last number of a group. I still think that I was wrong and it was something else. Instead I'm absolutely certain that a voice of a (wounded? attacking?) female in english version occasionally in battles said her line in pure russian.

Gniarf
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
It was a male voice saying something with "...mama...de kurva". The accent was mostly romanian than russian (they had Moldova where people speak mostly romanian and few in Ukrain). No cast spell or idle talk from oggs finished with that word. I still think that I was wrong and it was something else.
What does he say in tori_dmgstun.ogg? I'm pretty sure I heard korva/kurva in there.
Instead I'm absolutely certain that a voice of a (wounded? attacking?) female in english version occasionally in battles said her line in pure russian.rada_dMgcrit1.ogg because the one in media1.pk is rada_dNgcrit1.ogg. (typos, typos...)

BTW: Sometimes when russian people die they say something like musik/muszik. WHat does that mean?

silverflower
12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
What does he say in tori_dmgstun.ogg? I'm pretty sure I heard korva/kurva in there.
rada_dMgcrit1.ogg because the one in media1.pk is rada_dNgcrit1.ogg. (typos, typos...)

BTW: Sometimes when russian people die they say something like musik/muszik. WHat does that mean?
- You give me too much credit, sorry if I made the impression I speak russian; I know just few words and can read letter by letter their alphabet, I have only good ears. I don't think though that is the file that I possible heard.
- Possible, it may be too, but I think is wizf_f_dmgcrit1.ogg from russian version asking for help, like in english version; that female russian call for help I heard certainly more than four times in battles.
- Music in russian is "muzica" (like in romanian), but we need a native for more. Maybe is heavenly one, it makes sense.

Csimbi
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
At the end of the game you're supposed to talk with the boss before beating him, however the game crashes as soon as I approach (sure, it's the ultimate way to defeat the player, but that's not the way it's supposed to end!).

Question1: has anyone managed to talk to the boss?
Question2: are there crash logs somewhere to help me diagnose the cause?

A1: No, crashes on me, too.
A2: Dunno.

Thanks for the fix - though the ending was lame. A nice anim or a conclusion for the story would have been nice...

Gniarf
12-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Csimbi, huh?...Arr YOU again!
A1: No, crashes on me, too.

A2A1: Now that I have seen the root cause, I think the only way not to crash is to have a lucky/undetected buffer overflow.
Thanks for the fix - though the ending was lame. A nice anim or a conclusion for the story would have been nice...
-Well you DO have a conclusion, even if no human being is able to read it fast enough. I put the transcript on post 18.

Csimbi
12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Csimbi, huh?...Arr YOU again!

-Well you DO have a conclusion, even if no human being is able to read it fast enough. I put the transcript on post 18.

Yes, it's me again ;-) You missed me?

I see. I managed to read the first two lines of that, then it was gone. Thanks for posting it.

Gniarf
12-11-2009, 05:55 AM
As if I could possibly miss you.:twisted: Shoo shoo, go away, there is nothing to mod here!
'ma at least if there is a format I can't reverse I know whose PM box to spam. ;)

Parasite
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
- Thank You for the unpacker, works fine. I listened almost all oggs in english and russian and... nothing! I could swear I heard twice that word in a romanian or russian sentence but I was probably mistaken or it's a hidden eastern egg.

I can't hear the character voices either. I thought the game just didn't have them... seemed oddly void of them. I downloaded the little archive unpacker, but it doesn't work for me. It says "not configured correctly, please reinstall". But it only came with the .exe and a .dll file. I unpacked them together and tried putting them in the same folder as the .pk files I wanted to unpack. What OS do you use? Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

BTW: did you figure out how to make the voices work in game?

Csimbi
12-30-2009, 07:15 AM
I can't hear the character voices either. I thought the game just didn't have them... seemed oddly void of them. I downloaded the little archive unpacker, but it doesn't work for me. It says "not configured correctly, please reinstall". But it only came with the .exe and a .dll file. I unpacked them together and tried putting them in the same folder as the .pk files I wanted to unpack. What OS do you use? Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

BTW: did you figure out how to make the voices work in game?

I could not hear the sounds when the in-game setting was surround. I switched audio to stereo, and then I could hear them. Might be hardware/driver specific - don't know. I have Realtek on-board audio.

Parasite
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I can hear sound, but the characters don't say...anything. I can hear some things when they cast spells and use abilities, but other than that there are no voices other than the narration in the beginning.

Csimbi
12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
I can hear sound, but the characters don't say...anything. I can hear some things when they cast spells and use abilities, but other than that there are no voices other than the narration in the beginning.

I had the same symptoms. Just try it.

Gniarf
12-30-2009, 05:40 PM
It says "not configured correctly, please reinstall". But it only came with the .exe and a .dll file. I unpacked them together and tried putting them in the same folder as the .pk files I wanted to unpack. What OS do you use?Win7x64. I just tested on a win XP x86 and had the same problem. Currently diagnosing the cause...
Any idea what's going on?It is most likely because I used the MFC (I tought it would be harmless, but then again M$ added all its crap) Try updating your Visual C runtime (google for vcredist 9.0) and/or your .net framework (would be weird because I didn't use the .net thinggie).

EDIT: yeah that's it, you just need to update your vcredist.

I could not hear the sounds when the in-game setting was surround. I switched audio to stereo, and then I could hear them. Might be hardware/driver specific - don't know. I have Realtek on-board audio.
Might be "mono=mute left speaker" combined with "play voices only on left speaker". It's just a theory though.