PDA

View Full Version : Basic beginner questions!?

Svidler
11-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi,
I haven't played a whole lot but I played it thru at hard atleast.
I still consider myself very newbish after reading some no-casualty
stuff on here and just wanna ask a few prob obv things.
1) When I use sacrifice spell, will these count as casualties in the end? I think so.
2) About the spirits. Is this good prioritizing? sleem: Gloths, Cloud, Shoal, Spit lina: chargers, gizmo, thorns, orb ( seems like most prefer orb over gizmo?) sword-guy: underground blades, rockfall, wall, sword
reaper: timeback, black hole, rage drain, soul drain ( with warrior i would trade placed rage- and soul-drain. )

loreangelicus
11-02-2009, 01:30 AM
If by "played it thru" you mean you finished the game, I sincerely cannot consider you as a newbie. :)

As for your questions:
1) Yes, sacrificed units count towards your casualties unless: a) you sacrifice enemy troops (by first hypnotizing them) b) you find a way to bring back your lost troops (ie. Resurrect, Timeback).
2) It depends how you play the game. For example, in a no-casualties run, Lina's Gizmo is not that useful for me since it accidentally kills off enemies I want to keep alive for a while. I would leave Glots Armor with no upgrades if possible since it usually just lasts one hit anyways, so might as well leave it at a low rage cost. Do prioritize Chargers and Rage Drain though, as these are useful for whatever play style.

Svidler
11-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi,
Yes I finished it. I got a good clue about units and how and when to use them. Where I feel bad is probably with the spellbook. I used to go lightning or geyser like every turn but now Im trying to understand the usage of such as invisibility, dragon arrows etc ( which i realize i have underestimated severely ) . From what I have read on here I get the feeling that chaos magic is just crap, perhaps level 2 at best for sac only? even with a mage i would go disto and order 3.
Thats a great point about the armor and quite logical at that.
I'll try to come up with something else. for now im gonna waste my life trying for a level 31 game. has it been done, on whatever difficulty?

bucazaurus
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Level 31 can be done if you are using a bug in the game.If you don't intend to use it then don't waste your life trying to get level 31.

DGDobrev
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Absolutely. I was the one who pointed out the bug the first time, and exploted it to discover its extent before posting, in order to give a proper info. It took 1831 suppressions (or somewhere around that number, it's been quite a while) of the buggy item to get there on impossible. On normal, it should be halfway that number, but if I were you, I wouln'd be as stupid as myself :D

EDIT: Even if you become a suppression machine like myself, it will take about a minute game time for 2 suppressions and about 3 minutes real life time (I was doing that in 1.5 minutes in the end) to do the actual suppression. That is (let's round it up) 1850 x 3 = 5550 minutes (92 and a half hours) or say, 900 x 3 = 2700 minutes (45 hours). You can imagine what kind of grinding that is and how long it takes.

Svidler
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Hah okey my bad, i thought it was doable with early learning and stuff from
what I had read on here. What would be your next move with a mage at impossible, looking atleast for a while to not lose a unit, having cleared everything reasonable with the 16 found vampires, in greenwort, forest, swamps and arlania. I guess what i need is a way to beat the turtle, lacking all the proper spells and no inquisitors available. No gloths yet. fireball and crap spells.
Okey gloths too at early level 6..

DGDobrev
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Get a unit with 100+ HP (so that it can survive the turtle's attack) and the healing spell (you should have it by now, it's easy to get and learn). Put the tough unit at the turtle's beak (never attack with it, only defend), use archmagi to cast magic shield on it regularly and 3 other ranged units to gradually reduce the turtle's HPs.

The vampires won't do it though - they're undead and the healing spell will act as a damage spell, so try to find some griffins, horsemen or knights.

Svidler
11-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Yeah thx will try this but I think
I did once and it still stomped the crap out of all army
even though i had a unit on the closest square without attacking.
But whatever I trust you guys more :P
To conclude my weird all-topic tread; best game ever
and Im glad even the best players can give advice, and quickly at that.

DGDobred, it worked ridicously well, cant believe i didnt try it earlier. I realize now that last time
I had the unit defending on the side not under the nose.. :$

iregev
11-04-2009, 07:23 AM
if you scan the sarcophagus in the graveyard there is a good chance that you will stumble upon ancient vampires,
if you are lucky enough to get some than even 1 ancient vampire will be able to kill the turtle

Razorflame
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi,
Yes I finished it. I got a good clue about units and how and when to use them. Where I feel bad is probably with the spellbook. I used to go lightning or geyser like every turn but now Im trying to understand the usage of such as invisibility, dragon arrows etc ( which i realize i have underestimated severely ) . From what I have read on here I get the feeling that chaos magic is just crap, perhaps level 2 at best for sac only? even with a mage i would go disto and order 3.
Thats a great point about the armor and quite logical at that.
I'll try to come up with something else. for now im gonna waste my life trying for a level 31 game. has it been done, on whatever difficulty?

never say chaos sucks please:P

i love chaos magic and i finished a mage game with mostly using chaos spells

the thing u want is ALOT of intelligence

more intelligence means more damage:)

it's cool to see 2 fire storms killing 80% of the enemy stack on impossible ^^

BB Shockwave
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Not only for damage spells, but also Fear rules - necessary for keeping that last level 1 unit in fear while you heal/resurrect your army.

Also don't forget about Kamikaze. Nothing better then to summon a Phantom, send it to the midst of the enemy and cast Kamikaze on it. That spell does more damage then even Fireball maxed.

Evil book can be a lifesaver early on in battles, especially in supression battles as the Gremlin towers will inflict almost zero damage to it. The description of the book is buggy, though - you don't need to have it eat one of your units, simply attack an enemy with it and it can cast again next round.

Plague is nice too if you are using an undead army. And curse on level III.

Oh and the best for the last: Sheep. You can kill even tough units in those 2 rounds while they are sheeped...

Svidler
11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I stand corrected. Chaos doesn't have to be all-damage. I think it's just part
of my fantasy-races-view, much for my Heroes-series background. Like do you guys never feel that with an undead army the only spells you like to use is poisonous skull, book of evil, plague and necro call? :D With demons, the portal, doom, weakness and heavy fire. With a paladin i find it impossible to have other units then humans (priest,archi, inquis, god bless the church) and go Order level 3 ! With a warrior I would never resurrect and go kill or be killed with haste, teleport etc :D I could go on forever but this is not really
a question or so. Just late night bs. Obviously I find myself with skellie archers, inqusitors and demonesses all mixed casting whatever when I try to beat it badly.

Razorflame
11-04-2009, 08:45 PM
ha watch our for morale penalties then;-)

^^

Svidler
11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Do we consider roasted rat grinding immoral/cheating?
I got like 11 and got sick of it. But you're giving up some
leadership with time so I guess it's not all like writing
a code and getting xxx gold :)

DGDobrev
11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
That is something that can be freely utilized in the game, and as such, it cannot be considered as cheating :) In my eyes, the only thing that can be considered cheating is using codes. Anything else, which the game allows you to do, is just fine. No player is at fault that there are bugs that can be exploited.

Svidler
11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Am I missing something here, is armored princess out already?
Maybe in the states?

DGDobrev
11-07-2009, 03:13 PM
It's been out for quite a while, but only in Russia. I got it on a company trip, and since I've been studying Russian since 1st grade, there was no problem understanding it all. The official English release date is 20th of November. I'm certain you are aware that the game is Russian actually.

Svidler
11-07-2009, 10:19 PM
You are certainly right. I too tried to learn russian when I played
the most chess but it was kinda complicated.. the grammatics
is way different than swedish. Well I'm looking forward
to a merry christmas then. 20th nov is not far away.

Svidler
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I finished or close to finished it on various levels like 4 times
but is yet to find issharah whip, poison dagger and ogres belt ( ALWAYS
get the sandals and club ) a single time. From what I understand
not finding the dagger is just bad luck but are the other two some quest-thing? I doubt it since I've been like 102,103 quests complete.
Just unlucky randomizing?

DGDobrev
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Unlucky :) that's it.

KrazyDocK
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, Isshara's Whip should be an item you can find in every game. But, it is not given to you when you complete the quest... you have to go back to the architect's house AFTER the quest has been completed. Then you get it. This is how you can have completed all quests, but not got the item. Uh, does that make sense?

KD

Svidler
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
A follow-up on my last post.
I think it was lorean who mentioned that u could
start with 2 of the +10 runes if u get lucky enough.
Well just to let you know I just restarted 1 hour and 10 minutes haha.
(home sick and bored anyhow) Probably averiging 3 times a minute.
The closest I got was the 50k +20% to damage and one of those. Paladin shield n one of those or well of mana belt and one. Never 2! :( Isnt it possible like I thought?
I obv always checked both temple and kings castle.

DGDobrev
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
It is possible, but you do need some luck to get them :) So keep up the faith and keep on restarting :)

Svidler
11-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes finally got it.. Small comfort though, accidently deleted
level 26 no-casualty paladin at imposs :)