PDA

View Full Version : Target spell -doesn't work?!

BB Shockwave
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I hardly used this spell as a Paladin, but now my mage with an undead army could put this to good use with ghosts... except, it doesn't work.

No matter how I try, even low-level pirates and priests will ignore the spell and attack my other units.

What am I doing wrong? Maybe Target doesn't work on undead? I'm using the latest patch...

iregev
09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
for the spell to work the unit has to be able to attack u directly
Melle units has to be within range and ranged units has to have a straight line of sight (if u place an iceball near them they can move one step back and attack any unit )

3 tips on target:
target will also mean that the enemy will ignore is special ability and attack u directly (shamans, alchemists) but u have to be within their range of regukar attack

will not work on level 5 unit,

when Vampire transform into bat it counts as am action so if u cast tagret level 1 on a vampie bat always till then of the turn otherwise it will be useless

BB Shockwave
10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
for the spell to work the unit has to be able to attack u directly
Melle units has to be within range and ranged units has to have a straight line of sight (if u place an iceball near them they can move one step back and attack any unit )

3 tips on target:
target will also mean that the enemy will ignore is special ability and attack u directly (shamans, alchemists) but u have to be within their range of regukar attack

will not work on level 5 unit,

when Vampire transform into bat it counts as am action so if u cast tagret level 1 on a vampie bat always till then of the turn otherwise it will be useless

Well, it still doesn't work.

I was in the Dwarf Castle battle, moved my vampire bats next to those 1200 Venomous Spiders, cast target on them, hoping they'd ignore my Skeleton Archers who were trying to walk away...

Next action the spiders took, they MOVED AWAY from the Vampires and attacked my skeletons.

I'm seriously pissed at this spell. Just like Shroud, which doesn't work on pretty much anything (and even then, they can move out of the area in a turn) it has proven to be utterly useless. Is this a bug, or it deliberately doesn't work on undead?

EDIT: During my 4th re-run of the battle (this time I managed to finish it without losses) I tried Target again, on the Vampire Bats against the SCoffer Imps... and it worked. I have a feeling the last fiasco was due to me casting Fear on the spiders beforehand, although it was gone by the time I cast Target. (during Fear, they went straight for the Skeletons).

Vulture
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
The 'Target' spell does work properly. The answers to why these things happened are practically given by yourself.

a) Vampires are lvl 3 creatures (ancient ones are 4). If a unit is feared, as the spell description says, it won't attack units higher than them. In it's feared state, logically it won't obey to the 'Target' spell since the targetted vampires are higher in lvl.

b) archers that are blocked by a unit within melee range will step away if they can and most likely attack the unit they stepped away from. They rarely do otherwise but if they do, they ignore the 'Target' spell due to some glitch.

c) as already mentioned by iregev: enemy AI is low but not totally f'ed up. If an enemy melee unit can choose from a random target within range and a unit that is further away that it can't reach in ONE turn, they WILL ALWAYS go for the target in their range. Regardless of 'Target'. Make sure that your tanking unit is close enough to the enemy and the 'Target' spell will work properly.

Rest has been said already. Lvl 5 units won't be affected.

As long as you don't have good crowd control (dryads <3) multiple low level archer stacks are a real pain in the ass if you don't use 'Target' on a regular basis. Imagine 2 stacks of 'Catapult' and 4 Stacks of 'Scoffer Imp' acting freely on the battlefield. 'Target' makes them predictable and limits your loss-preserving actions ('Timeback', 'Ressurrect') down to one unit. In your case with vampires it's even double-win :>

Razorflame
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
target is mostly not relevant so in your case you f'ed something;-)

tank is only important if u use the teleport+knight circle attack +time back action ^^

or griffin or demons;)

Ymarsakar
07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Well, obviously level 2 spiders aren't going to hit level 3 ghosts if you cast fear on them. Target or no target.

ludak021
09-27-2010, 11:25 AM
As long as you don't have good crowd control (dryads <3) multiple low level archer stacks are a real pain in the ass if you don't use 'Target' on a regular basis. Imagine 2 stacks of 'Catapult' and 4 Stacks of 'Scoffer Imp' acting freely on the battlefield. 'Target' makes them predictable and limits your loss-preserving actions ('Timeback', 'Ressurrect') down to one unit. In your case with vampires it's even double-win :>

sing that lulabily song to 3 stack of necromancers and skele archers then see how that crowd control goes :D

target is useless imo unless you have two stacks near (very near) relevant enemy units, and one of the stacks is your summoned/phantom one. then again, phantom units have "target" written all over them as far as AI is concerned so no need to cast target at all ;)